Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My comeback review.

2»

Comments

• IKShadowIKShadow Member UncommonPosts: 783

Think twice before you roll to Fury.
    Its real dog eat dog there when it comes to the amount of PvP there is no other MMO that you could compare with it .. probably the best comparison would be to FPS games and not MMO.
    ( well ok maybe WoW battle grounds as fury is one big battle ground or guild wars arenas )

The basic rule = if its red its dead.
    So forget about getting groups by going in the area ans meeting people there if they see you in 99% you will be attacked.

Grouping wise you need to find people on global or ooc chat group up and then start doing dungeons, quests together.

If you are soloing keep in mind most likely you will be attacked by approaching player or players.

You will be attacked once you leave the rezz pad and at least 5 times ( after that you only give 1 XP to attacker(s) for next 24 hours.

There is an option to roll on fresh server ( but you cant transfer char there ) or to transfer to PvP RP server as they are slightly more decent there.

Iam telling you about it as I notice quite few players that came back and were shocked by all killing/ganking etc .. ( lots of QQ on global chat )

p.s. Playing on Fury EU and loving it :)

Futilez[Do You Have What It Takes ?]

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

OK i have my chars on Aquilonian RP-PvP server, and have to choice to go to Fury or the Crom server.

I don't like the sound of the Fury server even though i like PvP, i dont like it that much.

Out of these 3 servers which has the highest pop, anyone know?

If the pop on Aquilonian is decent then i may as well stay there..................

Thanks

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

I dont know about the other servers mate but Crom server is very busy,every area i have played in has been busy from 1-63,they are alot of guilds looking for new members and always groups doing from what i can see on global all the different instances.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• DaveTTDaveTT Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

OK i have my chars on Aquilonian RP-PvP server, and have to choice to go to Fury or the Crom server.
    I don't like the sound of the Fury server even though i like PvP, i dont like it that much.
    Out of these 3 servers which has the highest pop, anyone know?
    If the pop on Aquilonian is decent then i may as well stay there..................
    Thanks

Yes, Aquilonia should have a good pop.

And if you whant to start over you have the Fresh start server Agony (PVP)

------------------------------

Bear Grylls : I need to get out of this frozen hellhole!
    Bear Grylls : (Holds a beetle in his hand) 4 times more protein then Beef

• DaveTTDaveTT Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Terminus-Est

I had been considering coming back too. I had originally left because of the huge amount of ganking. I like PvP and I want to PvP, but it was impossible to get anything done. You couldn't progress towards higher levels because you were constantly being ganked by people who had gotten there first.
    Zone in to a new agrea - ganked!
    Talk to an NPC - ganked!
    Get low on health fighting a mob - ganked!
    Arrange to meet a pick-up group outside the dungeon - ganked!
    Try to solo - ganked!
    As I said, I had been considering coming back, but threads like the one below have put me off again:
    http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=108536

Well you have the pvp-system now, so you wont get ganked by high lvls as much as before, becaus they will get murder points (penalty), but ofc you will get ganked by murderers , But there are always people who hunt murderers.

And when you get killed and you spawn at a spawn location, you will always have your sheild of risen on you. So nobody can kill you over and over at the spawns.

I would definitely recommend you to give AOC another try and see how it goes.

They will also launch PVP-resources in the new patch, so most of the high lvl pvp will move to Borderkingdoms, much better and more fun

Oh and you also have Agony, Fresh start pvp-server. I heard the pop is pretty good there.

------------------------------

Bear Grylls : I need to get out of this frozen hellhole!
    Bear Grylls : (Holds a beetle in his hand) 4 times more protein then Beef

Well I am still very much enjoying AoC or could I say the rebirth of AoC?

I am now level 63 and the game just keeps pulling me in more and more,I very much enjoyed Ymirs pass(the new 55-63 area) If I had 1 complaint it would be that the invisible walls do tend to annoy in this area more than others.

I want to give a shameless bump to the guild I am in "Carnage" on crom server a great bunch of players and 1 of the most friendly bunch of gamers it has been my pleasure to play with.

I cant really say too much bad about the game since my last update,I have had 1 memory leak...big deal!

I could be alittle bit nit picking and say the auction house and trading isnt really inspired,the selling of green and most blue items are pretty much a non starter and pretty pointless.

The game is flowing very nicely and at no point even at 63 has it felt like a grind,even now I have near a full quest log and moving from area to area is vastly improved with the fast travel system.

I continue to be impressed with this game now and as before very happy I came back,tbh cant believe at times it is the same game I played back in May.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

I have now re-subbed and am happy that i did as well. 

I have a lvl 55 Necro and a 58 Barb so could go staight to the new area Yimir Pass.

It took me a few hours to remember what all the spells and comobs do and to get back into the game, but i am now begining to enjoy it quite a lot. I had a nice big smile on my face as i thought of upcoming hours of game play.

I have a decent machine with a quad core, a GTX280 card and 4GB RAM. I was, at first not happy with the performance until i turned off 16X anti-aliasing and then i was getting 50+ fps with 3.0 shader and almost all options turned up to max.

I have played all the major MMOs and without a doubt AOC tops them all when it comes to graphics.

Further to that the animation in AoC is head and shoulders above any other MMO. My barb can perform moves that you would expect to find in a beat-em up, when i call for my horse i dont just see a progress bar and then suddenly i appear on top of it, my horse comes running to me and i but my foot in the striup and I then climb on, and i have a new "fast dismount" skill lol, with a nice animation to go along with it.

Now i am not saying animation makes a game, but it goes a hell of a long way to help the immersion factor. Every single mob i kill, i watch my Barb perform his sword play with glee and that is just one class out of 6 dedicated melee classes.

The reason i left was content, or lack there of, and the performance, with the introduction of Yimir's pass i hope that it will ellivate the problem. And with the server merges i guess finding PUG for dungeons will be easier.

Well my last input to my comeback review,I have taken my ToS to lvl 80 and started to do raids,as you may have seen I have tried to make my review more looking at what is lacking in the game rather than praise it at every turn.

Well now I cant help myself,this game is what I wanted at release,yes I have had to wait 9 months since release but I really dont care.

This game has me hooked now,I love my ToS,I love the graphics,I love the gameplay,I love almost everything thing this game has to offer(list to long to go into).

The new patch added more content which was great and sorted some problems,I am now well settled into this game and there are no game breaking problems,hell even crafting at times seems  worth while(that could use some more love though),the raid instances are alot of fun and we are working away at the bosses and enjoying the ride.

For anyone that is still on the fence about this game my words would be,you could spend your cash on alot of things but I doubt you will get so much fun for such a small amount as you will in AoC.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by daylight01

Well my last input to my comeback review,I have taken my ToS to lvl 80 and started to do raids,as you may have seen I have tried to make my review more looking at what is lacking in the game rather than praise it at every turn.
    Well now I cant help myself,this game is what I wanted at release,yes I have had to wait 9 months since release but I really dont care.
    This game has me hooked now,I love my ToS,I love the graphics,I love the gameplay,I love almost everything thing this game has to offer(list to long to go into).
    The new patch added more content which was great and sorted some problems,I am now well settled into this game and there are no game breaking problems,hell even crafting at times seems  worth while(that could use some more love though),the raid instances are alot of fun and we are working away at the bosses and enjoying the ride.
    For anyone that is still on the fence about this game my words would be,you could spend your cash on alot of things but I doubt you will get so much fun for such a small amount as you will in AoC.

Woah bit of a turn around, I think it is good to point out where to go to next for the devs and they have done a good job in turning things around, if a little bit on the late side for some.

Thanks for posting that screen too, looks great.

• KazeKaze Member Posts: 55

Much appreciation, giving the game more than an hour!(some peeple)

Anywho, I'm glad to hear others are returning, we (my guild buddy and I) left after the first month with thoughts to give it 8 months, we have returned and are at 48 as well. The game has made almost a 180 its good and getting better.

BTW, dunno if you know about this but we did some testing and AoC is only using one of your cores(if you have dual) if you want to turn on the other hold ctrl-alt-c(while in game). you can check for your self if you got dual core your task manager will tell you how much each is running when you load AoC only one core is running the game, alt tab and check your TM, get back in the game and hit 'hold crtl-alt-c' let it run for about a min so the TM can log whats what then alt tab out again and you'll see both cores running. we saw about 10-15 fps increase.

I try to stay honest avery but credit were it is due and AoC deserve's alot of credit how it has pushed on,a great job by the devs.

As for the pic,it was just something for the guild forums but I thought it looked so nice I would share it with you guys :)

• courtsdadcourtsdad Member Posts: 326

Good for you for being honest about how you feel about it.

Once the free play time starts up I will probably give it a try althought the thought of giving FC money kind of goes against my personal standards for dealing with companies and their attitudes. FC's in a few areas was what finally made me push the cancel button although the game play feeling like a solo game didnt help anything either.

I love Conan and hoped that this game would take full advantage but I was left feeling like it didnt. If I can get myself ethusiastic about playing an MMO again and AOC can grab me then I would make a similar post to yours. If they have made improvements I have no trouble giving them credit althouhg it will always containa footnote about launch. I honeslty dont know though because I think they core of the game was what never caught me. That being said I loved my POM but really got tired of grinding.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

In general, I hope Sirillion and his crew keep getting the funding they need to improve the game. It doesn't seem to have gotten worse since he's taken over the game.

• AssasinatedAssasinated Member Posts: 31

I don't know much of the history of AoC, but it's all cake up to my level at least. Looks promissing.

• sebastian999sebastian999 Member Posts: 4

lots of favorable comments  so is it worth returning to,   and what servers ar you on... 

ie how is the pvp now and i think i missed the which class is still totally overpowered?

• IKShadowIKShadow Member UncommonPosts: 783

Originally posted by sebastian999
    lots of favorable comments  so is it worth returning to,   and what servers ar you on... 
    ie how is the pvp now and i think i missed the which class is still totally overpowered?

Dont believe them they are bunch of fanbois.

Join Fury EU for serious ass kicking :)

Futilez[Do You Have What It Takes ?]

Originally posted by IKShadow

Dont believe them they are bunch of fanbois.
    Join Fury EU for serious ass kicking :)

I fail to see were at any point my review can be seen as a fanbois post,I guess some people like to either brand ppl trolls or fanbois,maybe that is just to get there post count +1 or they want to attack and try to discredit them as they dont share your views .

• KrewelKrewel Member Posts: 390

IKshadow was making a joke, learn to contextualize.