Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get back to work !!!

ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135

O.K. Are you guys serious or what ??

We are desperately waiting for this game and all you give us is :

19/12/08 : The MO team is going on a short break during Christmas but we’ll be back the 7th of January.

21/01/09 : This month we were challenged by the Mortal Online community in the mod “dota” based on Warcraft 3, frozen throne. Dota is a team-based pvp game for up to 5 vs 5 players. We have accepted the challenge and the match will take place tomorrow, Thursday 22th of January.

26/02/09 : The community proposed a Mortal Online poker tournament which sounded like a great idea, so we are going to support it with a free roll. Any Mortal Online forum member is free to sign up for this event! However, the Star Vault team is also going to participate so don’t count on winning.

26/02/09 : While we are waiting for the next update for Mortal Online, the community proposed an interesting event – a battle in the classic game Ultima Online. Thanks to our old friendship with the owner of Defiance we are soon going to have a fight night in their UOR realm. It’s Mortal Online community (including us Devs) vs Defiance community, read about when and how here

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
― Terry Pratchett,

Comments

• DragonMyth88DragonMyth88 Member UncommonPosts: 245

Dota is the greatest teambased strategy game mod ever. Its a 5v5 perfectly balanced game. I can see why they have Epic as a partner cuase gears of war follows a similiar pattern 5v5 and is the greatest tactical shooter on the market.

Thats why Mortal is goin so succeed there is no words for the sheer joy I get from playing those games. Gamers Devs making a game for other gamers thats whats finally happening over there. They listen to us and innotive in there design. Patience man there are goin to deliver the goods.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

All obey the OP, his spoiled bratness gives him the supreme right to order everyone around including game companies who haven't received a single cent from him yet.

• YamanakaYamanaka Member Posts: 6
    Well, he has a point.

What will stop us from saying they are a lazy bunch because they didn't made the summer release because of these little vacations, relaxations?

I rather have them work as slaves till release of the game, make everything smooth, and then take a 1 month break in teams.
  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by Yamanaka

Well, he has a point. What will stop us from saying they are a lazy bunch because they didn't made the summer release because of these little vacations, relaxations?

Common decency and a little patience, really ...

Everyone needs time off and I like it that they put some personal time and effort in doing stuff with the people following this game. As if a tournament now and then is such of a huge time investment

I would love to see this game released asap as well, but that doesn't mean I'm going to cry about every little diversion that the dev's (rightfully) enjoy. We are not in the position to whine about these things ... at least not without looking slightly pathetic while doing so.

• shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199

edit: old link wasn't working for some reason.

Originally Posted by Mats Persson

No. It would take a lot of time that I don't have at the moment, and I wouldn't want to write a short "summary" or cut out "paragraphs" from something that isn't finished(!?). I can't even begin to understand how you can act like you know anything about the way I work or my schedule.

Also, the lore is always going through changes, and as there are already a number of sites (fansites, MMO-info sites) that are spreading the lore and translating it into different languages, this means if we publish stuff now that will undergo heavy changes later we'd be forced to start keeping track of some kind of changelog - meaning even more work.

I'll publish the lore when I feel it's "almost" ready. Or, as I've said, I'll start posting small stuff here on the forums later if I don't find the time to write up official lore for the site due to development stress.

Several of us browse the forums and post every day, at work or on our spare time. No less than on day one, rather the opposite, which I guess you would see if you took the time to visit. If that's not enough interaction for you, I suggest you get the hell out of here until the game is released, instead of "whine whine whine" as you so nicely put it.

Yes, you are naive. And no, you don't know how busy we are. Again, do you think you have any idea what it's like being a very small swedish team developing a Massively Multiplayer Online game while at the same time keeping up with maintaining an international forum and official communications? 5 minutes? The ingredients and the writing of that newsletter alone cost us more than 50 work-hours - most of them taken from our very little "spare time" as they weren't directly connected to development but "community interaction". Do you think we're happy rather than stressed out for having nothing more to share at the moment?

You can choose to either stay here, read the "sparse" updates and take part in our "down-hill" dev interaction on the forums while waiting for the game and be happy about it - or, if you don't like the way we handle things, you can troll somewhere else until the game comes out. But posting ignorant stuff like that makes me very angry and disappointed, contributes nothing but negativism, and it sounds like both you and I would feel better if you left.

I'm in a very bad mood today, as I worked 18 hours yesterday and didn't get much sleep, trying to get that "pitiful" newsletter out. This is not what I would have liked to see first thing in the morning. Although now I understand why other forums ban members at a whim.

• L1ghtsabeRL1ghtsabeR Member Posts: 102

So basically what you are saying is that you don't want the developers to interact with the community? Do you think they never rest and should work 24/7? What's wrong with them spending some of their time off playing games with us?

• revolution73revolution73 Member Posts: 62

You do realize that many developers work at their home and on weekends too, not on their work shifts.  So they decided to take a break a couple of times, who cares.  Also, just because they are in an event doesnt mean they stop working.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by revolution73

You do realize that many developers work at their home and on weekends too, not on their work shifts.  So they decided to take a break a couple of times, who cares.  Also, just because they are in an event doesnt mean they stop working.

What you need to understand, my son, is that working on a mmo is like signing up for a galley ship. Once you are there, you will either row or whip - either or you are in it for the long haul.

There is no rest. There is no respite. There is only hard work. Forget about sick days, weekends, evenings off. Mortal Online is a mission.

Just work on it already!

• EupolemosEupolemos Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Draccan

Originally posted by revolution73

What you need to understand, my son, is that working on a mmo is like signing up for a galley ship. Once you are there, you will either row or whip - either or you are in it for the long haul.

There is no rest. There is no respite. There is only hard work. Forget about sick days, weekends, evenings off. Mortal Online is a mission.

Just work on it already!

You mean Funcom-style?

Eupolemos Agis
    Former damn-good-looking Armsman of the Custodes Fati, Guinevere.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Relax!

Its Swedish people making it. They can take vacation and still get the job done.

• unbrokenunbroken Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Yamanaka

Well, he has a point. What will stop us from saying they are a lazy bunch because they didn't made the summer release because of these little vacations, relaxations? I rather have them work as slaves till release of the game, make everything smooth, and then take a 1 month break in teams.

Ultimately, nothing can really stop you from saying anything about them.  The real question is:  "Who would give a shit if you did say it?" 

There are far too many people these days in the MMO community that have this underserved sense of entitlement.  The devs should work on it as they please, or as their bosses please.  The game will be ready for launch whenever they want it to be ready, and until you start paying their wages, rightfully so.  You nor the OP are anyone to criticize their work ethic.  I doubt any of them come to your job and tell you to get off your ass and keep mopping. 

Pushed people produce  piss-poor products.

• hobodactylhobodactyl Member CommonPosts: 23

How many of you complaining about these "awful vacations" are even in the game industry? I'll guess zero, because you have no idea what making a game takes. What a bunch of wankers. You realize Blizzard always takes their sweet time making stuff? This is the dumbest crap I've seen on these boards beyond racist bigots; people that feel they're entitled to an MMO being finished at the projected completion date months in advance? Just wow.

You'd rather have a turd on time than a gem a few months late? Then you'll bitch about the game being broken on release. Give me a break.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by hobodactyl

You'd rather have a turd on time than a gem a few months late? Then you'll bitch about the game being broken on release. Give me a break.

The problem is we never get the gem reguadless of how long it takes them. We always get the turd at release and to me thats un-acceptable.  Devs release games before they get to the gem state because they get away with it with ease.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by erevus

O.K. Are you guys serious or what ??
    We are desperately waiting for this game and all you give us is :
    19/12/08 : The MO team is going on a short break during Christmas but we’ll be back the 7th of January.
    21/01/09 : This month we were challenged by the Mortal Online community in the mod “dota” based on Warcraft 3, frozen throne. Dota is a team-based pvp game for up to 5 vs 5 players. We have accepted the challenge and the match will take place tomorrow, Thursday 22th of January.

26/02/09 : The community proposed a Mortal Online poker tournament which sounded like a great idea, so we are going to support it with a free roll. Any Mortal Online forum member is free to sign up for this event! However, the Star Vault team is also going to participate so don’t count on winning.

26/02/09 : While we are waiting for the next update for Mortal Online, the community proposed an interesting event – a battle in the classic game Ultima Online. Thanks to our old friendship with the owner of Defiance we are soon going to have a fight night in their UOR realm. It’s Mortal Online community (including us Devs) vs Defiance community, read about when and how here

Nice. So the devs of Mortal Online support playing private servers of other companies games. How nice.

• hobodactylhobodactyl Member CommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by hobodactyl

The problem is we never get the gem reguadless of how long it takes them. We always get the turd at release and to me thats un-acceptable.  Devs release games before they get to the gem state because they get away with it with ease.

Well I'll definitely agree with you there :D