Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confusion regarding the rage

MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

I'm kinda confused here.

Don't get me wrong, I've been following the game since I was a kid living at home, and I'm about 7 times bitten now over forumfall. That being said, why are so many people treating 1,2 maybe 3 days of turmoil and confusion, as the ultimate slap to the face.

I am in no regards a fanboi, but aren't we as a community supposed to be supportive of indy startup companies. Maybe its not 100% of what you expect, but they are trying to do something different. They are an indy company trying to get it all done on their own.

I find that a feat. I personally am buying and trying the game knowing full well its probably not what I wanted 6 years ago, but to support small indy studios trying to take a chance like this. Darkfall could be a very fun game, but right now they are having issues with the scope of the poeple intrested. I know first hand that you can expect it all you want, but sometimes you just cant prepare for the load people bring. Look at quake live, they put in the queue system (smart) to keep the servers stable, but didnt realize it would lead to 17k person queues. They are seasoned professionals and they still grossly underestimated what players would do.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

Comments

• strongaxestrongaxe Member Posts: 848

This is nothing new. People have been trashing Darkfall for years now.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Its all because the the huge veil of secrecy that has always surrounded the game, the lies and sheer hubris by its primary mouthpiece Tasos, the outrageous promises that could never be real and the rabid fanbase that constantly promoted the game over the years as "the best game evah"

People will be kinder to games like Mortal Online.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

You don't want outlandish promises, but you want no secrecy at all? Not to mention of course they are going to have some rough edges, indy studios almost always shoot themselves in the foot at some point.

They are just excited amateurs who are looking to go professional.

• tokenizertokenizer Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Munki

I'm kinda confused here.
    Don't get me wrong, I've been following the game since I was a kid living at home, and I'm about 7 times bitten now over forumfall. That being said, why are so many people treating 1,2 maybe 3 days of turmoil and confusion, as the ultimate slap to the face.
    I am in no regards a fanboi, but aren't we as a community supposed to be supportive of indy startup companies. Maybe its not 100% of what you expect, but they are trying to do something different. They are an indy company trying to get it all done on their own.
    I find that a feat. I personally am buying and trying the game knowing full well its probably not what I wanted 6 years ago, but to support small indy studios trying to take a chance like this. Darkfall could be a very fun game, but right now they are having issues with the scope of the poeple intrested. I know first hand that you can expect it all you want, but sometimes you just cant prepare for the load people bring. Look at quake live, they put in the queue system (smart) to keep the servers stable, but didnt realize it would lead to 17k person queues. They are seasoned professionals and they still grossly underestimated what players would do.

We should support indie companies, no doubt here, but support the ones who plays fair.

• People rage because this was the biggest pile of crap that had been promising its community gold. Hold on we can't handle the 10k people who pre-ordered if that is even the truth.

It is over with now let it die in peace.

• YbaiYbai Member Posts: 30

Maybe because they're doing shady crap like accepting pre-orders, charging the pre-order "fee", then sending out canned responses to tickets rather than fixing the accounts so people can play.  the response I got "we'll look into it tomorrow", nice, because they charged my pre-order fee almost a week ago.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

tis true, but when it starts involving money, then people draw the line. even an indie company cant take money from someone and give nothing in return or take a week to deliver on its promise, thats where lots of anger has started

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

its a pre-order. For a mmorpg which at the best times is notorious for bumpy launches, by an indy studio. Anybody remember WoW's launch and how everyone said it was so terrible it could never bounce back...

Very few games actually have a super smooth launch, you payed for a pre-order and I highly doubt anybody who pre-ordered didnt know this going in. Seems to me like its the same kind of entitlement people seem to feel at restraunts when they order something they don't like and demand to have the meal they dont like somehow fixed.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Its all fine and good to support the Indie company but once they take your money then it all changes....... People get kinda funny when they pay for things and dont get them or they arent what they thought they would be.......If people get the feeling that they have been ripped off then alot of feelings change.......

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Its all because the the huge veil of secrecy that has always surrounded the game, the lies and sheer hubris by its primary mouthpiece Tasos, the outrageous promises that could never be real and the rabid fanbase that constantly promoted the game over the years as "the best game evah"
    People will be kinder to games like Mortal Online.

I seriously doubt it. We've seen enough MMO releases to know this is nothing new.

MO will see the exact pattern, they all do.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

its a pre-order. For a mmorpg which at the best times is notorious for bumpy launches, by an indy studio. Anybody remember WoW's launch and how everyone said it was so terrible it could never bounce back...
    Very few games actually have a super smooth launch, you payed for a pre-order and I highly doubt anybody who pre-ordered didnt know this going in. Seems to me like its the same kind of entitlement people seem to feel at restraunts when they order something they don't like and demand to have the meal they dont like somehow fixed.

Let me ask you a question no fanbois (not saying you are) has failed to answer.

If Tasos part owner and face of AV has stated several times the game is better then anything on the market today and is more prepared for release then any previous MMO... If he sets the game at that level... who are we to not hold the game and company to those same standards?

Tasos set the bar... now you want to be apologists because he knowingly exhagerated?

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by atziluth

Let me ask you a question no fanbois (not saying you are) has failed to answer.

If Tasos part owner and face of AV has stated several times the game is better then anything on the market today and is more prepared for release then any previous MMO... If he sets the game at that level... who are we to not hold the game and company to those same standards?

Tasos set the bar... now you want to be apologists because he knowingly exhagerated?

"Exaggerated" is such a strong word...let's just say he lied.

• Keeper2000Keeper2000 Member UncommonPosts: 637

I am here to express my opinion and not to support an indy company.

If we are suppose to be here for supporting indy companies... should we still support Farlan?  In the other hand you have CCP... should we support them?  We support or not a company by consuming their products.  EvE is a good game so many support it by buying it.  DnL was a scam so people stop buying it.

Imo, if we should support anyone, as customers, we should support each other before supporting the companies, indy or big.

Yeah, I'm going to cast my vote with my money....not sure I'm keeping my two accounts.  I have a problem with a company that will charge me money and then tell me in an automated response that the problem is my credit card (which they never tried to charge the final prices on btw) and then tell me "we'll try to fix it tomorrow"

• APEistAPEist Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by crysent

tis true, but when it starts involving money, then people draw the line. even an indie company cant take money from someone and give nothing in return or take a week to deliver on its promise, thats where lots of anger has started

They can if they give you free playtime to compensate.

The noob formally not known as not being the formally not unkown known APEist; The Stone Cold Killer of Tarq.

• Syyth007Syyth007 Member Posts: 250

The only problem with wow's release was overloaded servers, and the stuck in loot bug, for the most part.  Darkfall had a LIMITED release, so their servers would not be overloaded.. They charged some accounts that are still not able to log in.  There are crashes, sync problems that plagued the majority of the day late release, and many other client problems since this morning.  WoW's release was MUCH better, in comparison, although for the first few weeks (which were compensated) the servers were overloaded, and lag/crashes ruled the day.  Imagine the amount of problems Aventurine would have if they had open registration.. Not to mention Blizzard did not cut all communitcation ties with it's costumers.

• terafisterafis Member Posts: 84

I'm all for supporting indie developers, especially when they work on a concept like DFO which we have all been waiting for for years.

But they should have just told us 'Look it's our first mmo release, we will probably make a few mistakes along the way during release, we would appreciate your patience and your continued support while we work our way through it'.

Instead of 'This game is the best ever, it is already in way better shape than any other mmo release, etc etc lie lie'.

They would have built up a huge ground base of support and understanding during release, instead of the current situation where they have lied outright and promoted themselves non-stop and then fell on their faces.

No-one to blame but themselves.

• rageagainstrageagainst Member Posts: 618

I'll say this again, just because a company is small and "indy" and trying to do something nearly impossible, does not make them a charity, it does not make them endangered species, and it does not make them impovershed 3rd world children.

that bieng said, the game isn't horrible, and given 1 or 2 months (you guys won't be able to even buy an account till mid march probably) it will be a great game. Its not worth the money now but it will be.

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

Lol according to this I'm bipolar :O

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"Seems to me like its the same kind of entitlement people seem to feel at restraunts when they order something they don't like and demand to have the meal they dont like somehow fixed."

I laughed out loud when I read this.

I don't know how you feel about your money, but I personally don't like throwing it away. If I ordered dinner at some joint and it was not cooked fully or there was a staple or something in my food, why would I just sit there and give them money? They provide a service and should be able to live up to what they promised.

That sentence really made me laugh.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

"Seems to me like its the same kind of entitlement people seem to feel at restraunts when they order something they don't like and demand to have the meal they dont like somehow fixed."

I don't know how you feel about your money, but I personally don't like throwing it away. If I ordered dinner at some joint and it was not cooked fully or there was a staple or something in my food, why would I just sit there and give them money? They provide a service and should be able to live up to what they promised.

Yeah, more accurate would have been "Sir, we can't get our credit card machine to work right, but we charged a portion of your bill to your account anyway but we aren't bring you your food until we get around to charging the rest.  We'll think about fixing it tonight....maybe not...either way, we're going to refuse to update you on when (or if) your food is going to show up and if you attempt to contact any of our employees, they will read a scripted response and then refuse to acknowledge your presence afterwards."

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Slampig

Yeah, I laughed at that too.

If I go into a food joint and pay for a burger and fries and the fries aren't there when I'm handed my order, I'm going to complain. There's no entitlement to it, if I pay for something it better be atleast what they claim it is.