Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is gaining momentum

jimmy123jimmy123 Member UncommonPosts: 314

Since this game is not due tobe released for another year, the intrest of this game has seem to accelrate on a daily bases.

I for one can't wait, but im prepering myself tobe let down when the released date gets moved to a later date.

which i won't mind as long as we get server stability

Balance between the classes

No half game on release ( ask FC )

The last one, if it's gonner be such a huge hit as i belive it will be, lets say call it £5 or $10 a month.

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I think pretty much all games with an IP such as Starwars will have a lot of people excited early on. It kind of guarantees exposure and interest. Though those who look a little closer still have a lot of doubts.

Personally I think the only way to truly bring the Starwars universe to life is by making the game fully sandbox without npc henchmen and without having as many 'heroes' around as there are players online etc. More like a true simulation of the Starwars universe, if you will. With a ton of diversity in gameplay options / professions / playable races.

I'm afraid this could very well turn out to be a cookie cutter mmorpg aimed to please the largest amount of people with too many restrictions to satisfy a world-pvp fan like me for instance.

So I still have a lot of reservations. The concept and ideas behind Mortal Online appeal much more to me at this time.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Based on the few launches I've watched over the past year seems like 'hype' would be a better word than 'momentum'. Gaming companies are shameless when it comes to getting the crowd's hopes up with unreal expectations. My advice, if this is a game you think you'd like to play is to walk away now and don't even look at it again til about 6 months after launch. Between the hype, the fanboys and the haters, following an mmo through dev, beta and launch can be a ugly experience.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by dhayes68

Based on the few launches I've watched over the past year seems like 'hype' would be a better word than 'momentum'. Gaming companies are shameless when it comes to getting the crowd's hopes up with unreal expectations. My advice, if this is a game you think you'd like to play is to walk away now and don't even look at it again til about 6 months after launch. Between the hype, the fanboys and the haters, following an mmo through dev, beta and launch can be a ugly experience.

Yeah, you can burn yourself out fast speculating. I just check updates and look for articles about once a week now, I refuse to take part in speculating anything anymore, just facts as we know, which isn't a lot. They are being purposely being vague to keep from over hyping anything, which can be frustrating at times, but understandable. The fans are the ones hyped up atm. Which is fine for them, I’m personally just going stay grounded and hope if anything it's a fun game in its own way.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

They aren't being vague at all, you are just pretending they are.

@OP : How do you know the "momentum" is gaining?  Are there some numbers somewhere you based this off of?

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Lets call it free to play. Cause it is. Micro Transaction.

Originally posted by demalus

@OP : How do you know the "momentum" is gaining?  Are there some numbers somewhere you based this off of?

still don't know what all the classes are, planets, races, combat, launch date, beta ...nothing. We know the game looks like on some planets, that there will be story arcs. Everything is  "We aren't ready to talk about that yet, but here is how we make a planet. " I would not call that hyping at all.

"We are making an MMO, based on the old republic" Bout all anyone knows.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by dhayes68

Yeah, you can burn yourself out fast speculating. I just check updates and look for articles about once a week now, I refuse to take part in speculating anything anymore, just facts as we know, which isn't a lot. They are being purposely being vague to keep from over hyping anything, which can be frustrating at times, but understandable. The fans are the ones hyped up atm. Which is fine for them, I’m personally just going stay grounded and hope if anything it's a fun game in its own way.

Agree on that!!

I was a heavy fanboi of the game Warhammer just to be extremely dissapointed!!!  All my hopes were vanished like..... well there wasn't any hope left after playing that awful game after a few weeks!

So I will NOT expect something special at all! I just wait til the game is released and I'll check it out!

I hope though, it will become a huge success!!

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by DarkPony

I think pretty much all games with an IP such as Starwars will have a lot of people excited early on. It kind of guarantees exposure and interest. Though those who look a little closer still have a lot of doubts.
    Personally I think the only way to truly bring the Starwars universe to life is by making the game fully sandbox without npc henchmen and without having as many 'heroes' around as there are players online etc. More like a true simulation of the Starwars universe, if you will. With a ton of diversity in gameplay options / professions / playable races.
    I'm afraid this could very well turn out to be a cookie cutter mmorpg aimed to please the largest amount of people with too many restrictions to satisfy a world-pvp fan like me for instance.
    So I still have a lot of reservations. The concept and ideas behind Mortal Online appeal much more to me at this time.

Yes we have heard the requests for SWG2 about a zillion times now already.

Not trying to single ya out Pony....but give it a rest already.

YOu wanna be Uncle Owen then go play SOE's game, the focus this time will be on making an action game...not another RL sim. And if  you are wanting that PvP stuff, there are several new PvP focused MMos just recently released...go check one out.

TOR is supposed to have some PvP...but it is not what the game is based around according to the information being released on it.

Would be nice if folks could stick to what it is...rather than always bringing up what it isnt. In like every thread no less.

Shame MMORPG.com wouldnt add another forum here for TOR sandbox talk...and ban those who wont shut up about it on the main forum since that isnt what this game is intended to be. Not saying you are one of the spammers Pony...just that they wont leave this forum alone.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Here is one reason they are slow to release info. Oh well back to playing my other games.

SeanDahlberg

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanDahlberg

Tomorrow's update will definitely contain the first issue of Threat of Peace. We were working on something additional to accompany it but it needs more time to be done correctly.

This is why I tend not to give out dates until we are extremely confident that it will be adhered to. In fact, one of my first rules for people who talk to the public is "do not give out dates". As many of you will testify to, if something is announced to go out on an exact date and it doesn't... O.o

That said, we are going to have another update within the next couple weeks that gives additional game-related information like we did with the Hutta update. It won't be a planet update but it is something many of you have been asking for.

Sort of hand in hand with the "do not give out dates" is also something I firmly believe in - Do not give out information that can change. It is no secret that we are not launching TOR tomorrow, next week, or even next month.

Does this mean that we're not giving out information until the game is done? Definitely not. But I have seen mistakes made in the past (ones I have even made on previous projects) where you give out information on something before it is fully implemented and working just the way it was envisioned to work... and when that changes, there is quite an uproar about it.

Let me give you an example. What if we announced that Korriban was a planet in TOR and fans clamored over it and created a real attachment to it... only to find out months later that Korriban isn't going to happen for whatever reason. A lot of people would be quite upset over this. That said, Korriban will be a planet and that's why we can release screenshots, videos, etc with it in it.

When we do an update of something new, we will give you pertinent information on it but we're not going to tell you all the details in that update. We'll give you the information we're confident about and then update that information in the future with more details (once we're confident about those).

While it may take more time to get the "goods", they are quality goods. We're not going to give you something we feel could not make it in the game because, by doing just that, we will have done a disservice to our community. That is why we don't give out dates or information that isn't pretty fairly set in stone... because it would be a greater disservice to all of you to give out faulty information rather than make you wait a little longer for valid and unchanging data.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

It's not just SW titled games people get excited about in the MMO world, it's every game now.

Every game we see gets hyped by the fans/crowds or people in general looking for something different than all these half made ass games.

And as far as this game being the end all to all other games, I wouldn't bet my credits on it, no one knows what the hell this game is bringing to the table until in beta.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Moaky07

YOu wanna be Uncle Owen then go play SOE's game, the focus this time will be on making an action game...not another RL sim. And if  you are wanting that PvP stuff, there are several new PvP focused MMos just recently released...go check one out.

TOR is supposed to have some PvP...but it is not what the game is based around according to the information being released on it.

Would be nice if folks could stick to what it is...rather than always bringing up what it isnt. In like every thread no less.

Shame MMORPG.com wouldnt add another forum here for TOR sandbox talk...and ban those who wont shut up about it on the main forum since that isnt what this game is intended to be. Not saying you are one of the spammers Pony...just that they wont leave this forum alone.

I'll start talking about what it is when what it is looks remotely interesting. Until then I'll talk about what it could be to make it infinitely better then what it looks like it's going to be now.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I'll start talking about what it is when what it is looks remotely interesting. Until then I'll talk about what it could be to make it infinitely better then what it looks like it's going to be now.

For what purpose? It's not like the developers of TOR are lurking here. If you want to really make a difference then log on to their website and make your demands there. Otherwise you are wasting you time here. No one here is going to change their mind and  want to  play a virtual sandbox sim.There are other games out or coming out that have that sandbox element to it. This game will not nor never will be one of those. It will be nothing like SWG in any of its incarnations. If it will be like anything, it will be similiar to the KOTOR series, which by the way won Game of the YEAR back in the earlier part of this decade. So I doubt they're going to change that formula for a system that has already proven to be a failure.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I'd say it's gaining momentum just based on having over 90k forum accounts already with the game still being probably a year plus away from release.  Whether that means anything or not is another story.  AoC and WAR both sold 800k+ boxes...how are they doing?

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by demalus

Any game with Star wars in the title will gain momentum, simple as that. Actually anything at all with Star wars in it period.

In the next few months we will see all the trolls making there way into the threads about how bad the game will be just to piss off the Star wars fans.  This site runs like clock work.

If you were around for SWG you will know what i mean.

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I got a quote for ya bud. "Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. "

Albert Einstein 

Just take a long hard look at that.       Ya might want to start trying something different. Like maybe going to their main forum or even start bombarding Biowares Contact us section. BUT GOOD LORD MAN! SAVE US FROM READING THIS EVERY FREAKIN TIME YOU POST!!!!!!!! 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I'm shamed to admit that SWG is one of the mmorpg's I didn't play, actually. You might have noticed I wasn't talking about SWG or comparing SWG with TOR in my post. I merely wrote about the things that interest me most in mmorpg's in general, the things that would fit a Starwars mmo best in my personal opinion and the information I have read and seen so far from TOR.

After being disappointed in the last three AAA releases I played (Lotro, AOC and WAR) and figuring out that there were similar reasons why I quit them, (loads of restrictions and / or unimmersive, superficial world design) I won't touch any mmorpg anymore which doesn't promise a perpetual, open gameworld, freedom in world pvp (free for all or with factions, I like em both) and in general, here comes the 'S word' ... a sandbox approach to how the game is set up.

I'm not trolling, I am merely giving my honest opinion on what I'd like, what I've heard and the dicrepancy between them and my concern is that too many mmo's these days forget about immersion and the rpg aspects to their games by implementing too many restrictions and chopping up worlds.

And about the 'everyone a jedi / hero' possibility, I side with Yathzee on his AOC video review: www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/138-Age-of-Conan

But I am not making a final judgement yet. Some stuff looks really cool about this game and we know very little yet.

• MercscytheMercscythe Member UncommonPosts: 134

lol @ "If you want to be Uncle Owen..." people. Shit, if you want to be a hero, go play every other MMO out there where you can be "The Hero." What's so awesome about being a hero in an MMO when every other player character is a hero? It's like one of thoes Demotivational posters I saw which went something to the tune of "You're a unique snowflake, just like everyone else." Just keep that in mind next time you TOR fanbois bring up your hero BS.

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Mercscythe

lol @ "If you want to be Uncle Owen..." people. Shit, if you want to be a hero, go play every other MMO out there where you can be "The Hero." What's so awesome about being a hero in an MMO when every other player character is a hero? It's like one of thoes Demotivational posters I saw which went something to the tune of "You're a unique snowflake, just like everyone else." Just keep that in mind next time you TOR fanbois bring up your hero BS.

This isnt directed only at you, and its not my intention to offend in anyway shape or form. But can we get a new argument? This is all anyone wants to bring up....  "Moisture Farmers vs Hero's"... Can anyone say dead horse? They have already stated the OBVIOUS! This not going to be a sandbox... So can we move on from it? Or are we going to hold on to it, just like a 3 year old child holds a blanky?

How about something constructive? How about we talk about some kind of crafting model? Or your thoughts on how they plan to do space? Instead rehashing old and easy arguments.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Proximo521

Originally posted by Mercscythe

This isnt directed only at you, and its not my intention to offend in anyway shape or form. But can we get a new argument? This is all anyone wants to bring up....  "Moisture Farmers vs Hero's"... Can anyone say dead horse? They have already stated the OBVIOUS! This not going to be a sandbox... So can we move on from it? Or are we going to hold on to it, just like a 3 year old child holds a blanky?

How about something constructive? How about we talk about some kind of crafting model? Or your thoughts on how they plan to do space? Instead rehashing old and easy arguments.

Yeah this argument lost it's luster a long time ago. I hear it in other forums as well and it's just ridiculous. If there was this big group of people that loved living in a virtual world as a farmer then those older games would have been raking in millions. They didn't and they failed. Game over.

Moving on to something contructive:

1.) any guesses on the classes that will be offered.

2.) any guesses on how competetive these other classes will be against jedi and sith

Just to move the conversation in another direction

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TowlieFTWTowlieFTW Member Posts: 69

Im glad bioware isnt making a sandbox game there TRASH.  Also it sounds like you love SWG, SWG is in my top worst 3 games iv ever played in my life so meh.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

You are wrong. Just look at the poll on the other thread. More than 50% of people ON THIS FORUM want to be either a jedi or a sith. The % is probably a lot higher in the general public.

A story-based game with lots of content will probably make a better GAME. NPC companion is the next logical step beyond pet class and a true sim does not necessarily make a good game.

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

I am excited as well and look forward to the release. To those of you who are complaining about it striving to have mass appeal; In case you did not know... Game Developers and Publishers are businesses that are trying to make money. Why on earth would they want to throw their money away on a game designed for a small niche of players who will complain about everything anyway only to fail and go down in disrepute? Just look at what's happening to Darkfall for pete's sake. I for one am glad Bioware is not going down that road and is looking for a an appealing and sucessful game with new and unique features like omg a story!

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

I don't get this theory that if everyone is a hero, then no one is a hero.  What an absurd fallacy.  You aren't heoic because no one else is, you are because you've gone beyond your comfort zone to do something that you wouldn't normally want or be capable of doing.  Being heroic is not about comparing yourself to other, but about comparing disparate aspects of yourself.  It's about conquering your fears to do the right thing.  It's about going out of your way to help others.  It's about risking your life to save another's.

So, yes, this game can have everyone be the hero without ruining the fun for anyone that is not an elitist.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

Originally posted by Vrazule

I don't get this theory that if everyone is a hero, then no one is a hero.  What an absurd fallacy.  You aren't heoic because no one else is, you are because you've gone beyond your comfort zone to do something that you wouldn't normally want or be capable of doing.  Being heroic is not about comparing yourself to other, but about comparing disparate aspects of yourself.  It's about conquering your fears to do the right thing.  It's about going out of your way to help others.  It's about risking your life to save another's.
    So, yes, this game can have everyone be the hero without ruining the fun for anyone that is not an elitist.

lol everyone isn't a hero to other players, other players could care less.  Like with any game you do a quest, you save the day. Every stinkin MMO on the market has this. That argument is kinda silly.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by Vrazule

Let me put it this way, when people say 'no one is a hero' it is a glib way of saying in a less accurate way that if everyone is heroic, then being heroic isn't special and I would suggest that people who want to be heroes in a game are looking for a special experience. Its not an achievment to become a hero if the game determines that is who you'll be from the get go especially a game with many other players who have also been designated heroes-to-be by the game.

Besides the 'hero' argument is kind of a red herring as I think if you break it down the real disconnect is between players who want to be able to determine for themselves who they are in the game, be it hero or not, and players who want the game to determine that for them. The difference between Lore and Mandatory Storyline. Problem is the MMO industry started out as the former and is changing to the latter. As always, when there is change, people get upset.