Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wondering about EvE

cryodancercryodancer Member Posts: 20

So ive been browsing and all Ive heard  is good things about EVE so heres a question. Im not really into pvp but I do like the whole sandbox thing. Think I could find a piece of the galaxy to enjoy? Or is  PvP more of a manditory thing?IE could I set up to be  just a trader or something similar.

Comments

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Hmm, PvP mandatory or not ? Thats a tough question really. On one hand the traditional sense of the word meant actual combat between players. Well in Eve there is market PvP so being a trader will make you do PvP. Just about everytyhing in the game is PvP. But back to the traditional meaning it is actually quite easy to avoid actual combat PvP.

There are lots of things to do if you want to avoid combat.

• DonTrumpDonTrump Member Posts: 104

Fact: You can be very powerful in Eve and never actually kill anything.

• handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120

well to be honset you dont have to do any pvping but chances are someones going to pvp you no matter what even if you dont like to but to resolve that basically just stay in high sec space (.5 and above if you go any lower than .5 your open for pvp and i guarantee you you will be attacked. best piece of advice i can give you as someone who played for 2 years is to join a corp (eves version of a guild)  thats in your timezone that you feel comfortable with. And as for being just a trader you could do that but it will take a while to get into as it takes time to build up the skills to make things and to find out what to look for.

if you have any questions or anything just pm me or send me an email

[email protected]

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Pvp is all around you in Eve.

In either Direct situations (physical, blow up ur ship pvp) or indirect situations (trading, production)

If you want you could easily stick to indirect pvp.

In Eve there's no such thing as Pve, not even missions are pve since complexes can be scanned and your loot can be stolen and salvaged and you could be tricked into going red.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by cryodancer

So ive been browsing and all Ive heard  is good things about EVE so heres a question. Im not really into pvp but I do like the whole sandbox thing. Think I could find a piece of the galaxy to enjoy? Or is  PvP more of a manditory thing?IE could I set up to be  just a trader or something similar.

You will never find a peace of the galaxy to enjoy for yourself, but you can join a group of like minded people and have allot of fun.

It is certainly possible to set up a high-sec (safer space) industrial character, but to be really good (and have fun) you will have to venture beyond high-sec and this will bring you into direct competition with others. You really can't survive this alone. If you work smart and with others you will have allot of fun and the PVP will be an occasional challenge that makes the game better. Most of the time.... hehehe!

• drogtordrogtor Member Posts: 81

Stay away from EvE if you dont enjoy the following:

1) Gate camping

2) Pirates who ask you to pay or die

3) Pirates who kill you even if you pay

4) "Point n click" system where everything is done by your mouse only

5) Doin the same mission types forever and ever (if you didnt mine).

6) Getting frowned upon if you decided to stay in stations all time (reading/crafting..etc) and be labeled as a Carebear.

Seems all you hear abt eve is good, until you actually have to experience the bad things by yourself. My recommendation: stay away from it if you dont like PK & griefing.

Played: Earth'n'Beyond-WoW-EvE-EQ2-LoTRo-PotBS-CoV-Vanguard-FFXI-DDO-L2

Waiting: JGE - Aion - SW:TOR - Agency
  • miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by drogtor

Stay away from EvE if you dont enjoy the following:
    1) Gate camping
    2) Pirates who ask you to pay or die
    3) Pirates who kill you even if you pay
    4) "Point n click" system where everything is done by your mouse only
    5) Doin the same mission types forever and ever (if you didnt mine).
    6) Getting frowned upon if you decided to stay in stations all time (reading/crafting..etc) and be labeled as a Carebear.

Seems all you hear abt eve is good, until you actually have to experience the bad things by yourself. My recommendation: stay away from it if you dont like PK & griefing.

1) you can avoid gate camping but using other gates or having a black ops player create a jumpgate

2) no different than other ffa games

3) see above

4) yes but then again you have thousands of combinations of parts and skills to run those parts, as well as strategies needed by utilizing mulitudes of different players with different skills

5) sorry but i quit doing missions after my second month, and with apocrypha they are introducing new story lines and epic story arcs

6) not true again, 0.6 and higher space is a "safe" zone which you can play in....can even pvp if you are war decd..and it constitutes for almost 50% of the game...which is HUGE.

don't play this game if you like total and absolute freedom to choose to do whatever you want, mining, production, invention, pvp, conquest, territory control, dead space (dungeons), etc and whatever skills you want, you train, no limitations.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

you can avoid traditional pvp very easily and still be a success, and even create yourself an empire without ever shooting a gun or killing a player (or being shot at). but eve has something called indirect pvp.

i am a trader and industrialist, as are you. im selling rifters and you are my competition. I will try to undercut you, or outbid you for minerals, or outvolume you to force you out of my market. i could hire mercs to keep you pinned down or prevent you mining. ive never shot at you, but its still pvp.

just dont end up like the troll who has a bunch of eve-raped-me-its-too-hard tears in his sig to make sure that no thread he posts in is without his crying, if its hard or you want advice, ask here and we will do our best to help you. cosy is a good guy and does hand out small amounts of isk to newbies to get them started.

Well if you were talking abt me, i actually found eve to be very easy to play (granted, i spent weeks studying it before i even started playing) - however, i would have loved someone to state the negatives as well as the positives to me then. There is nothing worse than going into a game with very high expextations (thats where the negatives play their part, they allow you to continue playing).

ps: the sig is not intended for eve forums, they are for the JGE forums (you should see the amount of eve players in there demanding JGE to be a better copy of eve)

Originally posted by drogtor

Well if you were talking abt me, i actually found eve to be very easy to play (granted, i spent weeks studying it before i even started playing) - however, i would have loved someone to state the negatives as well as the positives to me then. There is nothing worse than going into a game with very high expextations (thats where the negatives play their part, they allow you to continue playing).

ps: the sig is not intended for eve forums, they are for the JGE forums (you should see the amount of eve players in there demanding JGE to be a better copy of eve)

Thats really to bad then Since JGE wont have free roaming pvp and Freaking WoW in space battlegrounds LOL!

seriously everytime I read that shit I laugh my ass off.

I wanted JGE to be like eve with twitch combat.

They want to give us WoW in space with only instanced controlled pvp.

Lame!

Edit: JGE and STO are going to eat ass, JGE with instanced pvp only and STO with no playable crews or ship interiors. I wonder how these devs got jobs in the industry with the retarded decisions they are making.

• UnrulyevilUnrulyevil Member UncommonPosts: 49

drogtor

It's funny but... your signature does not match your personality  you know that?

happens a lot in teenagers who are trying to be something they  are not.

Originally posted by Unrulyevil

drogtor

It's funny but... your signature does not match your personality  you know that?

happens a lot in teenagers who are trying to be something they  are not.

An eve player who is passionate abt his game, that i dont mind and i actually encourage it. However ex-eve players who want an eve-with-twitch make unreasonable demands of the JGE devs to abandon their vision and custom design the new game to fit their specific needs (which arent really the mainstream ideals mind you). People do bash devs who create MMO clones, but those ex-eve players want JGE to be another MMO clone; we want it to be a new MMO.

ps: ye i know its out of my personality, and i just quoted some ppl to put in my sig so i wouldnt have to reply to everyone with that same quote. Bw, im 24 (i wont assume you wanted to insult me with the teen remark tho)  :)

To the OP: dont let anyone decide for you if you should play the game or not. I highly encourage you to try it out since it has a free 14 day trial. and if you ever decide to sub to it, just remember that the company will ask you to pay for the month of play + the cost of the game itself (1 time payment).

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

Just to be clear:

The total cost of the game, which includes a 1 month subscription (valued at $14.95) is $19.95, making the total one time cost of the game $5.00.

These are U.S. prices, I do not know what the costs are elsewhere, but i suppose they are similar.

Originally posted by Eschiava

Just to be clear:

The total cost of the game, which includes a 1 month subscription (valued at $14.95) is $19.95, making the total one time cost of the game $5.00.

These are U.S. prices, I do not know what the costs are elsewhere, but i suppose they are similar.

Or you could just buy it off Steam for 14.95.

Hell one weekend they had Eve on sale for 9.99 I bought my brother in law his copy during that time.

With Steams 21 day trial + the Game costing 14.95 (30 free days) thats 51 dayz of gametime for 14.95 or if your really lucky 9.99 if it goes on sale again.