Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaded from Darkfall, why I have hope with MO...

HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

And given my disappointment with Darkfall, I have to say that my hope is very 'measured' with MO. I think if I hadn't seen what I have with DF thus far, I wouldn't be so saddened by it all.

Anyway, Mortal Online is being developed by a public company, Starvault: http://www.aktietorget.se/QuotesInstrument.aspx?Language=2&InstrumentID=SE0002149369

Being a publicly traded company, they have a board, investors, and pay dividends on their stock. That means that projects they take on or have to take on internally are eventally going to have to be answered for. The contractual obligations that have been made already with Epic Games (it's on their website), among other world building tools, MO's team seems to be leveraging existing technology to build a new game world out of. I think this allows them to speed up development quite a bit over what Aventurine has gone through over the last 8 years. To the point of my thought -- I don't think it's anything close to vaporware.

That said, my HOPES for the game are measured -- I think that there will be PvP and fighting very similar to Darkfall. My expectations are set at something like an Age of Chivalry type of game right now, with nothing more on top of that. But given that Age of Chivalry was done by only a few guys leveraging an engine, that adds a dash of hope to MO, with a fully staffed (small) dev team leveraging like the AoC team did, existing technologies. Except in MO's case, they are funded by Starvault.

Now PvP might totally suck, it might be good. That's the measuring stick I will hold the game to, and if PvP is boring or even monotonous, then I will tell them so and leave the game or never play it. Darkfall has this problem for me, and I've turned my back on it for the time being -- there is room for improvement (a lot), but I'm afraid in the time they are looking to release, the game won't be that exhilirating early on. The NA release might bode better, and I look forward to that and giving it a fresh look with no biases at that time.

The last reason I like MO, is that simply put -- they answer questions and have some interaction with the users. I'm in their official IRC channel and often you'll find developers shooting the shit with users, the CEO in there talking about his vision for the game, etc. This transfers over to the forums as well, where developers have explained how they are leveraging technologies in order to develop the game, how combat works (in a basic sense), and taking input from forum members and participating in the discussion about what features should go in (slot based backpack or UO style) and the pros and cons of them (for the slot based stuff, either a single database entry, or three for the X,Y, and Z axies). It's refreshing to see that developers are giving you the reasons for the way they are doing some things, and that you have an active role in the process (or at least, you feel like you do).

Aventurine thus far has had Tasos as the only mouthpiece of the game at all. He has said he will never announce a release date until they are 100% ready and don't want to let it slip, but already have. Less than two weeks to launch and there is no information about pre-ordering. The features are largely incomplete but the base game is playable. And for the fanboys (of which I used to be one), this is ALL OKAY and fine. I am happy to see that there are more active voices than a singular one for MO, they actually engage in discussions whether it be about anime, other FPSers or MMOs, or MO itself. I like that it's run by a public company, because you can verify most of the things they tell you because they have to release any agreements they make, and both sides (Epic and MO) could verify a licensing deal or whatever.

That said, I'm VERY cautiously optimistic about the game. When it comes out, and if it sucks -- I'll give it the same review I would for Darkfall. At the end of the day, it's a game that's meant to be fun and if it's missing a lot, those devs will certainly get no restraint from me. However if they make a good game and stay true to what they have thus far in their engagement with the playerbase, I think it has potential to be very, very good. Hopefully with Darkfall's upcoming release, they will have a lot to learn on what to do, and what not to do as well with regard to their game.

Competition is good for everybody, anyway :)

We'll see how the game turns out in time, but right now I'm just confident enough to say it will come out this year, so that's a plus either way :)

Comments

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

I wasn't expecting this to start until after the 25th launch date. Can't say I'm surprised though.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Could you say "leverage" or a variation of one more time? That first half was about like talking to my wife after she gets home from work, lol . 

Yeah, the thing that initially through me off DF was Tasos. It was very apparent when he'd get upset and defensive in his statements when even the littlest of criticisms or even a tough, forward question was asked. I wasn't looking for him to reply with flowery speak mind you, just an indicator that he could remain cool under pressure. He couldn't. Adventurine tapping him to be their face was a sign to me that it was not an entity I'd want to be affiliated with.

Even the devs making Fallen Earth and Earthrise are more community consistent. I'll most likely given FE, ER and MO (for sure) a go for two main reasons: They are sandbox games and the people making them have cordial to amiable demeanors.  

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• lachrymoseQQlachrymoseQQ Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by almerel

I wasn't expecting this to start until after the 25th launch date. Can't say I'm surprised though.

lol, they won't be releasing on the 25th. at least.. if the devs aren't complete idiots, they'll push back the release date by at least a couple months. 

also, the reactions shouldn't surprise you.. with the beta leaks, it should be obvious that DF isn't complete yet, and if they release on the 25th it will be a huge disappointment for everyone not in beta.

• L1ghtsabeRL1ghtsabeR Member Posts: 102

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=4&feature=2708&bhcp=1

Well, Tasos keeps reassuring people that they will launch on the 25th. So either they're out of money or stupid... or both..

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Do the MO devs talk to their fanbase like they're talking to a bunch of illiterate, brain dead peons? No? Then they are ahead of Darkfall in the community department.

Do the MO devs decree their game as "feature complete and better than any other mmo"? No? Do they hide from any game magazine/website that isn't directly affiliated or beholden to them when it comes time to "show the game"?  No? Then they are well ahead of Darkfall in the honesty department.

Are the MO devs secretive about everything they do, even when it comes to the most basic of game info? No? Then they are ahead of Darkfall in the information department.

Do the MO devs have a publically recognized moron running the show? No? Then thay are ahead of Darkfall in my personal view as well.

As long as the game works as it is stated to, they win over Darkfall by a very large margin.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

After WoW, LOTRO, AoC, WAR i will let the games speak for themselves.

Im only waiting for a sandbox PvP MMO. MO or DF make no difference for me. No devs can "talk" me into beliveing its a good game by throwing some concept art or a nice cinematic trailer on me.

And MO beeing develped in Sweden, and Darkfall orignally from Norway (both from Scandinavia).....it makes me wonder.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by daarco
    Im only waiting for a sandbox PvP MMO. MO or DF make no difference for me. No devs can "talk" me into beliveing its a good game by throwing some concept art or a nice cinematic trailer on me.
    And MO beeing develped in Sweden, and Darkfall orignally from Norway (both from Scandinavia).....it makes me wonder.

For how long DFo has been developed in Norway ? 2yrs ? 3 ?

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• nathanpinardnathanpinard Member Posts: 146

The biggest problem I see with MO is hitboxes and other bits of netcode that can cause a lot of lag.

While building your own engine takes more time, it does allow you to taper exactly what you want as well.

• BorkotronBorkotron Member Posts: 282

Yay! MO is the new DF!

This thread should be titled how I'm never satisfied and always live in the future.

• mutombo55mutombo55 Member Posts: 151

Unreal Tech + Epic partner. That what makes me think MO has a half decent chance to pull it off

• nathanpinardnathanpinard Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by mutombo55

Unreal Tech + Epic partner. That what makes me think MO has a half decent chance to pull it off

Epic may be a partner, but that's basically just because the license of the UE3. Epic will provide some support, but they aren't developing the game. The UE3 engine has it's flaws when it comes to MMO's, but it can be coded properly.

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

Earthrise is the new DF, seriously, if you haven't checked it out you really should. Complex crafting, 100% player driven economy, guild territorial warfare along with FFA if you want but with faction penalties (meaning you could be some type of outlaw), good graphics so far, competant, open company, large world (that isn't empty by the way!), and a whole bunch more.

At least, on paper. We have yet to see if Masthead can pull it off. I think they can. MO, I'm not so sure about...I've heard they'll only have something like 12v12 battles, and that's just not my personal cup of tea.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by nathanpinard

Originally posted by mutombo55

Epic may be a partner, but that's basically just because the license of the UE3. Epic will provide some support, but they aren't developing the game. The UE3 engine has it's flaws when it comes to MMO's, but it can be coded properly.

True, but I think the Epic logo on the page combined with investors will add some interested parties to help "motivate" StarVault to do well.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• mutombo55mutombo55 Member Posts: 151

Well yeah its true, none of us know what "partner" really means between to the two of them. For all we know it might just mean Epic give them a license for cheap upfront in exchange for a cut of the box sales later on.... who knows.

I guess my main point was though, the UE tech seems like an excellent foundation for building an MMO with a heavy 3D FPS style, especially by a small dev team. Why reinvent the wheel, when you can just add a few more spokes and adjust the tire pressure....

• TomTrixxTomTrixx Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by daarco

Err, sweden has lots of internationally acclaimed game development studios, norway doesn't (Funcom, any more?). We even have a long time running MMO developed by a swedish studio, Project Enropia. So I see no problems it being a swedish studio. On the other hand the developers of MO could be completely crap at making games as far as I know :)

• ougaritougarit Member Posts: 317

I hope MO won't be the next DFO.

I have little hope with MO because release is for 2009 and we know nothing about MO.

Another sandbox game ? Hmm.. I like sandbox games, can't play wow or wowish games, but all sandbox games since many years have been total failures: Shadowbane, Dark and Light, Vanguard, Roma Victor, Dark Fall Online. 

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by ougarit
    I hope MO won't be the next DFO.
    I have little hope with MO because release is for 2009 and we know nothing about MO.Another sandbox game ? Hmm.. I like sandbox games, can't play wow or wowish games, but all sandbox games since many years have been total failures: Shadowbane, Dark and Light, Vanguard, Roma Victor, Dark Fall Online. 

When you post a personal statement about something, stay with "I know nothing", not "we".

And if you consider SB as a total failure, then what sort of games you consider as successful ? Those who have mlns of subscribers ?
    Maybe it's time to find a suitable product to your own tastes, rather than trying to bend personal demands or have erroneous expectations, and then blacken above mentioned game titles.
    It seems obvious that another game won't fit your unknown expectations.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Bruticus_XI 
    At least, on paper. We have yet to see if Masthead can pull it off. I think they can. MO, I'm not so sure about...I've heard they'll only have something like 12v12 battles, and that's just not my personal cup of tea.

Where did you hear it? Some strange comics maybe?

There is no evidence of this and actually one of the strengths of the game is the engine, which whilst capable of producing excellent graphics can still manage good FPS with medium spec PCs in crowded areas.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• L1ghtsabeRL1ghtsabeR Member Posts: 102

MO, I'm not so sure about...I've heard they'll only have something like 12v12 battles, and that's just not my personal cup of tea.

Well, you heard wrong. You can't restrict battle sizes in a seamless non instanced game.

• egotripegotrip Member Posts: 875

Earthrise is the new DF, seriously, if you haven't checked it out you really should. Complex crafting, 100% player driven economy, guild territorial warfare along with FFA if you want but with faction penalties (meaning you could be some type of outlaw), good graphics so far, competant, open company, large world (that isn't empty by the way!), and a whole bunch more.

We shall see what the future holds both seem promising

Iiii-iiiiiit's.... me!!! *Hooray*