Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how Mortal Online is approaching epic quests:

shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199

i really love what they're doing with their epic quests. sounds like they will get a huge amount of players involved.

· There’s an ancient, sealed gate hidden in the mountainside.

· Around the world there are bits and pieces of history to be found, like books, poems, lyrics etc. One might tell about a "powerful soul" sealed inside a cave, and that the seal will eventually break if a certain ritual isn’t performed again soon. One might give a wayfarer directions to a mysterious door of unknown origin in the mountains. One might prophesize about the "Essence-Shaper", a powerful soul that will return to the surface of the world.

· There are secret skills (spell rituals) to be found that can open, or seal, such ancient doors.

· There are secret skills (crafting) to be found that can produce weapons to aid in slaying the Essence-Shaper.

· There are secret items to be found that might give the wielders the power to control the Essence-Shaper.

· Religions in the game may be affected by the state of certain power-nodes. For instance one religions power might be +-0 as long as the Essence-Shaper is alive, -1 if the Essence-Shaper is dead, or +1 if the Essence-Shaper is released into the world.

· Any player or group controlling the Essence-Shaper would benefit greatly from it.

· Any player or group slaying the Essence-Shaper would be greatly affected by it.

Monsters or other beings involved in epic quests can be played by GMs.

Comments

• StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200

It always looks good on paper.

• redhands123redhands123 Member Posts: 179

I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye on MO.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by UserNoName

Exactly. It's ground breaking, innovative, a new dimension in gaming, will change the MMORPG industry, allow players to take control of the world, etc., etc. Then you play it and it's a WoW clone, an Asian grinder, or they threw in some twitch elements and it's a half assed FPS game.

It's only "secret" to the first beta players. After that there's a walkthrough on ten ton hammer. Which is fine, I don't mind that sort of thing myself.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Exactly. It's ground breaking, innovative, a new dimension in gaming, will change the MMORPG industry, allow players to take control of the world, etc., etc. Then you play it and it's a WoW clone, an Asian grinder, or they threw in some twitch elements and it's a half assed FPS game.

It's only "secret" to the first beta players. After that there's a walkthrough on ten ton hammer. Which is fine, I don't mind that sort of thing myself.

If they do actually have GMs controlling their "Epic Bosses", then the walkthrough would be worthless. 

• shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199

and i forgot to mention their epic quests and mobs never return. they're one-time-only for each server.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by shrapnel20

i really love what they're doing with their epic quests. sounds like they will get a huge amount of players involved.
    · There’s an ancient, sealed gate hidden in the mountainside.

· Around the world there are bits and pieces of history to be found, like books, poems, lyrics etc. One might tell about a "powerful soul" sealed inside a cave, and that the seal will eventually break if a certain ritual isn’t performed again soon. One might give a wayfarer directions to a mysterious door of unknown origin in the mountains. One might prophesize about the "Essence-Shaper", a powerful soul that will return to the surface of the world.

· There are secret skills (spell rituals) to be found that can open, or seal, such ancient doors.

· There are secret skills (crafting) to be found that can produce weapons to aid in slaying the Essence-Shaper.

· There are secret items to be found that might give the wielders the power to control the Essence-Shaper.

· Religions in the game may be affected by the state of certain power-nodes. For instance one religions power might be +-0 as long as the Essence-Shaper is alive, -1 if the Essence-Shaper is dead, or +1 if the Essence-Shaper is released into the world.

· Any player or group controlling the Essence-Shaper would benefit greatly from it.

· Any player or group slaying the Essence-Shaper would be greatly affected by it.

Monsters or other beings involved in epic quests can be played by GMs.

I agree .i like this way of creating a game a lot .The problem i have ,is what happens to the SO CALLED secret stuff once discovered the first time around?It becomes common knowledge and ruins the fun for everyone there after.

This would be great,if they could change the content up every week/month,so it is always fresh/new therefore it keeps fun and intriguing.

We all know it won't take long,then there will be a WIKI,and all the devs hard work to make a cool game goes down the tubes.This is why,if they could really get brave and remove the old EPIC and make a new one with new puzzles/crafts what ever,each month it would really set this game above everyone else.Yes this is my wishful thinking.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Sad_PandaSad_Panda Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

If they do actually have GMs controlling their "Epic Bosses", then the walkthrough would be worthless. 

This would be a great thing to happen.  AI can only challenge players so much before it is recorded and exploited.

• XuljesterXuljester Member Posts: 53

I don't recall ANY of this being officially stated by dev's... But then I may have simply missed that.

Still, I'm certain they'll implement some manner of epic quests.

• shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by Xuljester

I don't recall ANY of this being officially stated by dev's... But then I may have simply missed that.

see this thread:

www.mortalonline.com/forums/2406-my-games-convention-newsbits-updated.html