Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW has over 50% of the market whats going to beat it?

Last time a read some stats 62% of mmorpg games are playing World of  Warcraft.

For the vast majority of those players WOW is their First mmorpg and you're first mmo like your first Girl / boyfriend. they always have a special place in your heart.

So what if anything is going to knock wow of the top spot?

** Edit

Also I just thought what ever game does take over from WOW will have to be like WOW in order to attract the current players !

Comments

• You seem like you are a foreign advertiser.

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538

Ill let you know when someone decides to finish their game before they release it.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

I love a game like WOW.  Most of the idiots and Gold farmers play it.  I've run into less and less problems with MMO's i've played lately.  Thank God for WOW.  Keep on pulling in the scum.

Why do people care if WOW has the most subscriptions anyway?  Who cares ? They can have 60% of MMO gamers for eternity, it doesn't affect my gameplay at all.

• NythiousNythious Member Posts: 32

WoW didn't do anything but polish what was currently available.  They released an MMO at the perfect peak of the internet and they had StarCraft and WarCraft to back it up.

EverQuest nearly crashed the internet in the City it was released and it was taken out by more polished games, as such will happen to World of Warcraft.

One game will release with polished characteristics of AoC/WoW/DAoC/EQ/GW/Lineage/Lotro/Warhammer and crush the market.

The WoW Equation is as follows.

Low Hardware Requirements + Finished Product + Easy Gameplay + Never Ending Grind + Sequel = Success

I'd also blame initial popularity for WoW's success.  Kinda works like a YouTube video.  First, 1,000,000 people see the video. (the hardcore fans) and then a bunch of people tag along because if 1,000,000 people saw the video ... I've gotta see the video!

Honestly, if Funcom designed their game for lower end systems, polished the animations and combat system, reduced the game to 40 levels, and changed the name of the product to something more appealing to a larger crowd. They could have ran with that 700,000+ subscriber base and turned that game into the next Warcraft. Thats what happens when you don't finish your product and design it for people with 1,000 dollar computers.

Gaming is serious business.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

World of Whorecraft. Google it.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Nothing. WoW was a freak accident and nothing is going to beat it. The share of the market that WoW holds will never play another game. WoW targets people who don't play MMOs, so other MMOs aren't going to pull them in. 

• HycronzHycronz Member Posts: 20

Get off WOW nutts. Who cares about what wow does and wow killer. Just play your game and have fun. I thought runescape had a lot of members aswell. Just Play you and give me a buddy invite =).

Level 1
    attack 2
    defesnse 1
    agility 1
    Skills unlimited

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537
    Originally posted by Nythious

One game will release with polished characteristics of AoC/WoW/DAoC/EQ/GW/Lineage/Lotro/Warhammer and crush the market.

The MMO Blizzard has in development, I imagine

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Who cares?

Why is everyone so desperate for a game to take its place as #1 mainstream mmo?

-------------------------

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622
    Originally posted by Netzoko

Who cares?

Why is everyone so desperate for a game to take its place as #1 mainstream mmo?

because

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

WoW will be killed by a guy with one arm in a back alley in Chicago after a dispute with a prostitute over $5 in food stamps.

Who knows? If they did, I bet you they would make that special game and make millions. A even more important question would be "who cares?" this should go in a sub folder of the general forum called "Living disadvantaged Horse abuse".

• r1tualr1tual Member Posts: 559

Mortal Online will rule them all! :)

www.mortalonline.com

• goldenr1goldenr1 Member Posts: 113

WoW 2

A dyslexic man walked into a bra.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Nomax5

For the vast majority of those players WOW is their First mmorpg and you're first mmo like your first Girl / boyfriend. they always have a special place in your heart.
    ** Edit
    Also I just thought what ever game does take over from WOW will have to be like WOW in order to attract the current players !

This is the kind of post that makes fans of other games hate wow fanbois.

Here we are minding our own business reading up on a new game or playing a nice niche existing one and Enter the WoW fan Standing on a soap box with a bullhorn saying "Im the Best, Who is gonna beat me!!!!!"

And wow fans wonder why trolls and haters flood thier forums.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

The thing will beat WoW will be the game that will do what WoW did to the other MMOs: simplify.  That means getting rid of all the last remnants of MMO design that gets in the way of convenience and fun.

That's why I'm thinking that the thing that will topple WoW won't even be an MMO in the conventional sense.  It will be online, but it won't be "massive" online.  Instead, it will take all the things people like about MMOs and do them in a peer-to-peer network of instances with a common lobby, kind of like Diablo II.  It will be action and hack and slash.  It will combine all the good things people like about WoW, without all of the hassle of playing on a common server.  It will do away with formal guilds, marathon raids, and resource gathering; since these things create accessability barriers.  It will do it more cheaply, most likely for free, sponsored through one of the major online gaming networks like Xbox live, PS3 network, or Battle.net.

In short, in order to topple an MMO like WoW, you have to abandon the things that make an MMO an MMO.  Which is exactly what I think will happen rather soon.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• ZonMezzZonMezz Member Posts: 19

Wow doesn't deserve the number of subscribers they have. The current devs have no overarching/interesting storyline and are painfully incompetent. Unfortunately anyone in RL you've met who likes online games is probably playing Wow. All your old guildies are in Wow. Don't you miss them? It's so easy to level... you could reroll instead of playing your nerfed warlock. The grind doesn't really start 'til later. And maybe by then the next expansion will be out... and Barrens chat is even ENTERTAINING if you join in. You just have to google Chuck sayings. You can make people cry with frustration in RL!!! That tierX armor looks so awesome!!!? And GLYPHS you can put glyphs... and... things... on... your stuff.

It's all so insidious. I know I'll be playing Wow again at some point in the future. I can only hope that by then someone will have disposed of Kalgan and Ghostcrawler's mangled bloody corpses. <==== I'm almost not serious.

(fyi: Kalgan is the dousche raid leader from EQ they got to handle end game content e.g. BWL and onwards. He's now working on the new mmo because Blizzard has been taking the stupid blue pill lately. Ghostcrawler is a dousche e.g. failed community rep who hasn't been fired yet)

I'm not bitter. Really. Back to lotro since Darkfall looks to still need work. Speaking of grinding...

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529
    Originally posted by goldenr1

WoW 2

seriously though...I would play it.

I LOVE the Warcraft universe. I just wish they would add more PvP elements. They could take the 3-way RvR elements of DAoC and make some kick ass RvR. I mean...you have Horde, Alliance, and then everyone else that seems to want to kick them both in the ass.

It would be SWEET! That...on top of some updated graphics...omg...I know a lot of people hate WoW, and I did too for a while, but I just love the WoW universe SOOOOO much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

The thing will beat WoW will be the game that will do what WoW did to the other MMOs: simplify.  That means getting rid of all the last remnants of MMO design that gets in the way of convenience and fun.
    That's why I'm thinking that the thing that will topple WoW won't even be an MMO in the conventional sense.  It will be online, but it won't be "massive" online.  Instead, it will take all the things people like about MMOs and do them in a peer-to-peer network of instances with a common lobby, kind of like Diablo II.  It will be action and hack and slash.  It will combine all the good things people like about WoW, without all of the hassle of playing on a common server.  It will do away with formal guilds, marathon raids, and resource gathering; since these things create accessability barriers.  It will do it more cheaply, most likely for free, sponsored through one of the major online gaming networks like Xbox live, PS3 network, or Battle.net.
    In short, in order to topple an MMO like WoW, you have to abandon the things that make an MMO an MMO.  Which is exactly what I think will happen rather soon.

See I disagree.

It is the carrot on a stick that drives WoW and has made it so popular. You want those shiny epics...so you'll spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get those shine epics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

Oneofthe.posters'ab oveisr1ght0. ntehmonay.

It's hard to love a game (like a sentence) if there is too much crap preventing a smooth, polished experience.  Gamers ALWAYS want more, but we WILL setlle for LESS if it is smooth, polished, and spot on.  Just as grammer, punctuation, and spelling errors can RUIN an amazing piece of literature, simple glitches in the fundamentals of gameplay can destroy an amazing game.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

50% of the market? No

More like 5-10% of the mmorpg market.

Maybe Just maybe 20-30% of the Pay 2 play market yes, but overall world market, There is no way it has 50% Because Perfect world alone has over a million subscribers world wide, Guild wars has over 4million.

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Nomax5

** Edit

A Mickey Rourk MMO would beat it hands down.

Originally posted by Calintz333

50% of the market? No

Maybe Just maybe 20-30% of the Pay 2 play market yes, but overall world market, There is no way it has 50% Because Perfect world alone has over a million subscribers world wide, Guild wars has over 4million.

Pay to play is the only market worth mentioning in this discussion, and WoW does have nealry 60% of that market,  and even a huge chunk of the MMO market in general.  Check out www.mmogchart.com for detailed numbers.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by goldenr1

Originally posted by Calintz333

50% of the market? No

Pay to play is the only market worth mentioning in this discussion, and WoW does have nealry 60% of that market,  and even a huge chunk of the MMO market in general.  Check out www.mmogchart.com for detailed numbers.

www.mmogchart.com/Chart7.html

• TsollessTsolless Member Posts: 448

Time will beat it,

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

I don't think pure market share is the best determination of the best MMORPG. WoW does so well because it is so simple and can appeal to the masses that do not like to think too much when they play a game. For the people that like an actual challenge, a game like EvE Online presents itself to be a better game on a huge order of magnitude. Considering EvE caters to a more intellectual player, the number of subscribers is going to be substantially lower. But for the vast majority of these players, a game like WoW would almost be unfathomable to play.

Both games will be around for many years to come.