Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Force User or not?

I'm just curious as to how many people will be force users (if they are playable) and how many people will go regular old joe with a blaster. Personally I'm undecided right now.

Comments

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

If they are playable?

About the only thing mentioned for SWTOR is jedi and sith, and glowbats out the wazoo. There's barely mention of anything else to be, except for Iconic and Heroic and probably Star Warsy too.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by wolfmann

If they are playable?
    About the only thing mentioned for SWTOR is jedi and sith, and glowbats out the wazoo. There's barely mention of anything else to be, except for Iconic and Heroic and probably Star Warsy too.

Yes of course they are.  They've said many times 'any archetypes you can see in Star Wars movies will be represented'.... meaning the major players like, Bounty Hunters, the 'Han Solo' Scoundrels, etc.

Personally, I'm not rolling a Force user as my first character simply because I think there will be way too many to begin with... I'm going with the guy in my sig, who I plan to be a 'MERCENARY' and just see how his life unfolds through choices... probably Republic allied but I'm not discounting the Sith just yet... I wish there were some sort of NEUTRAL faction, even if you don't get faction rewards or you can slip between the factions - that would be even better...if your faction alignment changed due to choices.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

yeah, I love the idea of Jedi, I truly do, I don't love the idea of groups of Jedi running aroudn willy-nilly glow sticking everything to death.

I doubt my first char will be a force user, I may eventually make one (assuming I stick with the game) but I will try and solo in far out of the way places as much as possible.  

I am making a lot of assumptions here, and yes I am one of those guys that long's for the Pre-cu day's of SWG, so in light of all that I am pretty sure I am going to be disappointed.  But it may end up being a great game none the less.  I would hope that they turn a blind eye on anything WoW has done or is going to do and go in a completely different direction, I would love a game that involved a learning curve.

Anyway, I will shut up now.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Definitely non-force user. Running around with a blaster is much more appealing to me than some boring Jedi, I've played countless Star Wars games as a Jedi.

O_o o_O

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Definitely a force user ;)

• RoldRold Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by DeaconX
    Yes of course they are.  They've said many times 'any archetypes you can see in Star Wars movies will be represented'.... meaning the major players like, Bounty Hunters, the 'Han Solo' Scoundrels, etc.
    Personally, I'm not rolling a Force user as my first character simply because I think there will be way too many to begin with... I'm going with the guy in my sig, who I plan to be a 'MERCENARY' and just see how his life unfolds through choices... probably Republic allied but I'm not discounting the Sith just yet... I wish there were some sort of NEUTRAL faction, even if you don't get faction rewards or you can slip between the factions - that would be even better...if your faction alignment changed due to choices.

I won't roll a force user as first char too for the same obvious reason. I think first most people will roll force users but after they find out that these aren't much more stronger than other classes, I believe that the relation between force users and non force users will balance.

I hope for some kind of Mandalorian Soldier class.

[X] drill here for new monitor

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

I went with a standard Joe mostly because all of my favorite characters aren't Jedi. But maybe that's why I didn't care much for EP: I,II,III ...

Anyway, even if I wanted to play a jedi, I wouldn't roll one for the first few months. I just don't think I could save my sanity if every leet speaking douche I see wants to gyrate his e-peen around until I quit or duel them. Maybe being a little nondescript will keep me under the radar of those types of ... "players".

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Non-glowsticker. I'm going the bounty hunter/mercenary route. The Star Wars films and games hardly show the side other than the glowstickers, and I'd like to see my type of character fleshed out more other than that Jango Fett PS2 game.

• shedaoshaishedaoshai Member Posts: 5

Bounty Hunter is the way I'll most likely go (or something similar)

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Seems a majority want to be a force user in voting but the vocal majority in this post won't.

Non -force user all the way.

• Reno0513Reno0513 Member Posts: 47

Non force user. Preferably a hunter of force users... lord knows there will be enough of them to go around.

Reno

• jayparm221jayparm221 Member Posts: 13

Whatever happened to people wanting to be the trader class like in SWG. When the game launches, if there is a trader class, I will start with that just to see if there are too many jedi running around. If there are, then I will roll as a non-force user. If not, then glow sticks, here I come!

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 427

From reading a lot of the interveiws/articles that are out (not a mountain of info, but some) it does not look like there will be a trader class.

They said there will be crafting and they alluded to having a system already in mind, but the focus is heroic adventure. They also said there would be non-jedi, just not what those classes might be. A good idea if you want to know more is to check the official website fridays when they dribble out new info. Or just go to the forums after and watch everyone decend on each other like wild hyenas over everything thats said or alluded to.

• jayparm221jayparm221 Member Posts: 13

Another thing is that this is a time period in star wars where there were ALOT of Jedi and Sith, unlike SWG where the Jedi were extinct. So even if most of the players are force-users, it will not mess with the lore of the game.

• shedaoshaishedaoshai Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by jayparm221

Another thing is that this is a time period in star wars where there were ALOT of Jedi and Sith, unlike SWG where the Jedi were extinct. So even if most of the players are force-users, it will not mess with the lore of the game.

Truth. That's a very important difference between this game and SWG. There's SUPPOSED to be Jedi.

However, not EVERYONE is a Jedi. Hopefully there won't be an overflow of them.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

If there is a prize on your head. Expect a visit from me and my little friend.....

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• Reno0513Reno0513 Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by Hauken
    If there is a prize on your head. Expect a visit from me and my little friend.....

Heh, heh... right behind ya brother.

I'm wondering if you've dabbled at all with the SWGEmu. I haven't logged onto it in a long time, but I hear they've come a LONG way in the past year. Close to being ready for an actual playable server for Pre-CU SWG.

Have any other SWG vets looked at SWGEmu? I'm definitely looking forward to it. SW:ToR looks completely different and should be fun for reasons of its own. As mentioned many times already, if you're looking for SWG or some kind of SWG2, forget it. New game, new style, new environment, new player base (to some degree). Let's enjoy this game for what it IS, instead of slamming it for what it isn't (just a request to some of the more vocal SWG vets out there... I understand, I loved the game too, but give this one a chance to be fun for you for new reasons).

And Hauken... look for me to be nearby giving you a nod of acknowledgement when we're trying to take down the same bounty. No offense if I get there first. ;)

Reno

• oronisioronisi Member Posts: 284

If they are playable?

Any archetype?  So Moisture Farmer will be a playable class?  Uncle Owen kicked ass.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

I am really not sure myself.  It all depends on the population balance and how each character plays.  However much I would love to play as a Jedi/Sith I just know that is all there is going to be in game.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

If they are playable?

Well this is partially true.  Yes they have addressed implementing other types of players, but they have stated over and over in a number of different ways that the game is largely based on jedi and sith.  Make no mistake about it, SWTOR will be 80% force users.  This is not necessarily a bad thing if done properly.  I am not a fan of this theory, but it may turn out to be okay.  Hopefully the other classes offer something appealing, but we all know what SW fans will eventually play right;)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I want to RP a Jedi as main, but I am definitely playing some sneak/spy class as alt. Always enjoyed such classes a lot.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• fluffybunifluffybuni Member Posts: 29

If the game is going to be solely based on force users, than I hope they make the journey there hard; because everyone running around with light sabres would make me losing interest in the game pretty quickly. Maybe a system of titles could be implemented, where only a hand full can hold the position at a time which can count as a type of advancement for all force users. Whatever they do though, they'll need to find a middle ground where hardcore players can be hardcore, and casual players can be casual but not be totally useless or feel left out.

• Knived11Knived11 Member Posts: 262

this game is the only thing that gives me hope in the MMORPG Genre right now, and who needs the force when there are blasters? hehehehe

"Emotion, yet peace.
    Ignorance, yet knowledge.
    Passion, yet serenity.
    Chaos, yet harmony.
    Death, yet the Force"
    The Original Jedi Code

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

I will probably roll both a Jedi and a Sith on different servers due to any possible PvP/RvR complications.  I will also be rolling a Mercenary or BH type character.  Which one becomes my main depends on how the story unfolds for each archetype.  The most interesting storyline will win out and that character will become my main.

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by fluffybuni

If the game is going to be solely based on force users, than I hope they make the journey there hard; because everyone running around with light sabres would make me losing interest in the game pretty quickly. Maybe a system of titles could be implemented, where only a hand full can hold the position at a time which can count as a type of advancement for all force users. Whatever they do though, they'll need to find a middle ground where hardcore players can be hardcore, and casual players can be casual but not be totally useless or feel left out.

How can the journey there be hard if they are starting classes?

Do you like close one eye, and tie your hand behind your back. Then if you can still push either the Jedi or Sith class, on your first attempt, utilizing the character creation screen,  you get to keep it?

WTF?

For the 16.783 quad-rillionth time...this isnt SWG 2.

What part of Jedi/Sith being starting classes would indicate you have to earn/unlock it? Do you folks even read the press releases, or ever played any of the KOTOR series before?

My God...quit living in denial. You didnt get SWG 2. Accept it...and come join the rest of us in the game that is...not the one you cant quit pining over.

BTW...those sandbox games, the ones you vets talk about so often, just released another called Darkfall.

Darkfall sure could use your devotion to your preferred gaming style. More so than future TOR players need to listen about something this game isnt intended to be.

Seriously...give it a rest.

We heard ya the last 16.782999 quad-rillion times. And you wonder why folks dont wanna share a game with your playstyle of customers...Pfft whatever.

EDIT...Forgot...as for OP: Would make a force user if only can have one char per server due to PvP concerns. If allowed more than 1 class, will alternate Jedi with another class as I work on their advancement.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.