Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about LOTRO. opinions would be awesome.

Ok i have a question, is this game still enjoyable even if you know absolutely nothing about the lore of LOTR. I've never seen any of the movies and i know close to nothing about LOTR in general.

I was wondering if It could be played and enjoyed without knowing anything about it. Since its PvE oriented and very deep into story and stuff, so i figured seeing the movies or knowing something about LOTR would play a huge roll.

???

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Nah, having read the books or watched the movies will only enhance the experience more and while you play you'd be more keen at recognizing characters/locations and some plot.  Overall it'll still be a fun adventure and even more since you know nothing so it'll be alot of reading a grand new story for you.

There are the book quests which are heavy on the book lore, but a majority of quests you do detail what everyone else went through and had to deal with during the rings travel to Mordor which the books didn't cover in the depth that LOTRO does!

So you'll learn the LOTR story as well as everyone elses' story...

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

You'll miss out on some of the "wow" moments visually. Like the first time you see weathertop. Or how easy it is to get lost in the old forest, you wont be thinking, wow the old forest is just like the book. Things like that. You'll still be able to enjoy the game, just maybe miss some of the enjoyment of the feeling the world and some of the NPC can give you. 

You should give reading the book a try.

or maybe this is something you could skim over.

www.ringgame.net/summary.html

have fun.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

you would be completely lost.

I recommend the books..there is a lot of content that simply didn't make it into the movies.

You can always tell a player who has only watched the movies, when they say things like "Who the Hell is Tom Bombadil??" 

or...

"what are the barrow downs??"

Also, the game's art is much more in line with the books than the movies, as is the whole spirit of the environment.

It's a fantastic game though, and I highly recommend it. 

• SiyahSiyah Member Posts: 131

I am a late comer to LotRO even though i played in BETA. However, given what is available on the market today I must admit it is a very good game indeed. Graphix (landscapes, gear, weapons, ...), lore and sounds will immerse you. So will the housing, social aspects (e..g music, tons of emotes).

I am having a blast.

• toonedtooned Member Posts: 41

My whole family plays. We have 6 lifetime accounts and have our own guild. It's an absolutley beautiful game. If you are a hardcore player it's prolly not the game for you. The raid content isnt all that. The rest of the game is amazing though.

• norton905norton905 Member Posts: 61

thanks for input. i want to give the game a try.. do i need a buddy key. or do they have just a normal trial? or what?

thanks for all your input, i don't really plan on reading the books any time soon, but i've seen maybe 30 minutes of the first movie. thats all i've experienced.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Then you should at least watch the movies.  Obviously not as in-depth as the books, but you'll learn alot more than you know now going in, and it will have a great impact on the adventure.  You'll still be fine if you don't though so don't worry about it.

• Berrik.FluxBerrik.Flux Member Posts: 41

You don't need a buddy key.  They have a 10 day trial on their site. 

The trial

www.lotro.com/trial/index.php

The Lorebook

lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Lorebook_home

This is a great site that will explain alot of the game, as well as giving you alot of the lore about classes, races, lands, etc.  Don't worry about not seeing the movies or reading the books.  I've only seen the movies, and barely remember them at that, and I'm enjoying the game.  Reading the quests give you plenty of lore.  While it is true that by not knowing the books, or movies, you'll miss out on the connection between game and book, but it is by no means going to lessen your game experience.

okay thanks. i will defenetly be trying this game.

do i get the trial key when i am done downloading?? becuase ive looked all over about signing up and getting a key, for for the trial it is just asking me to download the game, as of now.    so...

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by norton905

do i get the trial key when i am done downloading?? becuase ive looked all over about signing up and getting a key, for for the trial it is just asking me to download the game, as of now.    so...

The 10-Day trial includes all Mines of Moria content

The 10-Day trial can only be used with new accounts. Existing accounts cannot use the free trial.

When the trial is launched, there will be instructions for account creation and obtaining a product key.

copied from lotro website. Looks like you'll get instructions when the game launches

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• gloine36gloine36 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Loaded up my free trial on Friday and the way it works is you run the download, then get your key when you're ready to play.

I have a box of the original game that I may use when the trial runs out. Depends on finances. This game looks good. As a huge LOTR fan that has worn out 3 sets of books this looks great. And I'm only lvl 10 so far!