Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quit.. Tried R.o.M. and Perfect World...

Then reinstalled Rohan.

Rohan has nailed combat down.   Combat is very smooth and Visceral.    Combat in Runes of Magic and Perfect world was bland.    Pefect world sounds like you are closing the hatch on your mini van over and over, and Runes of magic sounds about the same.

Comments

• RepeatDiscRepeatDisc Member Posts: 12

I'm really enjoying the combat in Rohan so far. I haven't been through all the classes yet, but it just feels good aesthetically, and there are some cool ideas not seen in most MMOs. A small example, archers have the abilities that can be turned on/off at a whim that changes the effects of their standard-attack arrows. Tres cool.

Goodbye, my strange pain, number 28.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

The controls are very intuitive.  Possibly the best of any f2p game I've tried and alot of p2p games.

I agree with the statements about combat.  It all feels smooth and natural.  Combat animations are great too.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Yep, I agree with the above comments.

I have never played rom, but perfectworld has a 1 second delay on key presses that makes combat clunky and not fun to play.

I am quite surprised with Rohan. More than decent graphics (a lot of diversity, you need to take a look the different areas - try out several classes), very good sound and music (but the foosteps sound should be replaced ...  a minor detail), excellent combat feeling and animations. The gameplay mechanics are great.

• Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

Runes of Magic simply failed to copy WoW's combat successfully. It doesn't have the easy character maneuverability or the illusion of impactfulness that WoW has. The spell visuals are so over the top and out of place that you never feel like you're really nailing a creature with a fireball and the animations are so dull that you never feel like you're hitting a creature hard.

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

Nice info I'll have to give it a whirl.

RoM felt like a poor wow clone.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

You might want to give jade dynasty a try. Combat felt pretty close to me between the two.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

• boone352boone352 Member Posts: 4

i think rohan is a great f2p game and would beat most p2p games... There are tons of classes and no one is the same

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Gets grindy, and you can virtually purchase anything with money here. Yeah, even rare items or characters, that's Rohan's Marketplace, although that's players selling them for the real money virtual currency. And you also have the *item mall*.

Got boring for me when all to do was either grind mobs for next level or repeating the same repeatable quest for money, good thing that was before I got addicted enough to use the item mall.

Anyway, taking all of these out, it's above-average for the "F2P" genre.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I would play Rohan and even spend some money on it if it didn't go out of its way to screw  anyone who is not paying  and basically force cash shop use. 

On top of the fact this game is by far #1 in Buy your way to the top

I think its one of the worse cash shops in any Free 2 play game I have played. 

Now for the game itself, very good Free 2 play quality game.

However due to cash shop I rather just play a Pay 2 play which is higher quality and overall balance. 

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Jester47

Runes of Magic simply failed to copy WoW's combat successfully. It doesn't have the easy character maneuverability or the illusion of impactfulness that WoW has. The spell visuals are so over the top and out of place that you never feel like you're really nailing a creature with a fireball and the animations are so dull that you never feel like you're hitting a creature hard.

mm,its just temporary they(rom) felt the same way,so we ll soon get improoved graphic and music ,end of august i believe just before book 2 .

and stop comparing it to wow its closer to gw or ffx1 then wow ,it mighyt have the control and a bit the look of wow but 

thats it 

just because rom use same control as wow doesnt make this wow 

i played wow for 3 years,some part of this game is less cartoony then wow more like guilds wars but in a open world 

i am impressed by this game  its better then wow was in the first 8 month of its release

in my view one of the great f2p game ,yes pvp isnt fully implemented yet ,like the medieval wars etc 

BE PATIENT GUYS SOON

for now do like the rest go sight seeing on your local beach lake or camping

only about another month to wait

• havok527havok527 Member Posts: 80

Runes of Magic is a decent F2P game that doesn't explicitly force you to use the cash shop to level. You can play the game and level to 50 easily without ever using the shop. The cash shop is for the players who have extra disposable income and are willing to spend it on a game, while the players who do not wish to spend money do not have to, and can enjoy the game without ever spending a dime.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

I don't know much about this game. Calling it Rohan has me wary, but the screenshots and game info that the game itself shows me mean nothing to me.

Can any of you tell me a few things about it so I can judge if it is worth trying?

How is the combat better than other games with the skill bar slots?
    How is the control customisation? Invert Mouse is a big deal to me.
    What is the world/community/questing like?

Thanks!

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• AlbosAlbos Member Posts: 132

RoM is best f2p in my opinion. Features I like that most f2p don't have:

1) You can check the others what gear they have, for me this is a must if there is no checking I don't play the game.

2) Dual class is not copy wow by the way and serves me well, most mmos you level alts and start from scratch but not in rom you can level 2 classes at the same time.

3) Has many quests and you grind them instead of just grinding mobs.

4) Anytime I shouted in /zone chat for help I get at least 3-4 high levels offering to come without any interest.

5) You can build guild castle and also fight guild vs guild.

6) You have your own house and you can get furniture.

Now bad things I found:

1) Most high levels got banned for ever 2 weeks ago without reason. They were the ones that used the cash shop more then the others too.

2) true combat is not that impressive.

3) Bags and bank slots are not many and for additional space you must rent with real money you can never get them permenant.

4) Crafting = sucks

5) Way too much stats boosting by manastone and by leveling up the gear, I like skill over gear.

6) You wont get group for raiding at end game unless you spent $500-$1000 on gear updating.

Other then that it's way better then rohan which in my opinion looks like you're playing on flash player.

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353
    Originally posted by Dubhlaith

I don't know much about this game. Calling it Rohan has me wary, but the screenshots and game info that the game itself shows me mean nothing to me.
    Can any of you tell me a few things about it so I can judge if it is worth trying?
    How is the combat better than other games with the skill bar slots?

How is the control customisation? Invert Mouse is a big deal to me.

What is the world/community/questing like?

Thanks!

Why does it make you wary?

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

• natlunatlu Member Posts: 4

I played Rohan and it was good until you get to high levels. It has great classes and wide varities of skills. I also enjoyed the TSBs and PVPs but one thing I really don't like is the way the item mall works. They should've at least balanced it so as not to make the frequent item mall buyers to be the strongest. To sum it all up, Rohan was short-lived for me.