Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another graphics card question?

I am building a new system and I was look at getting a ATI 4850 1 gig or a 4870 512.  I was just wondering if anyone has any info on the 4850 1gig and how it handles vg?

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• PEBKACPEBKAC Member Posts: 43

thanks, I think I can finally choose one. Now I just gotta make up my mind between vista or xp..LOL

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

The 4870 by a nautical mile.

If you get Vista you would have to download and install DX9 so it will run but if you want more than 3.5GB of system RAM then go for it.

• BiZzXBiZzX Member Posts: 19

That card should be able to handle Vanguard no problem, just make sure you have the proper Power Supply and motherboard for the card. Mind telling me the specs of the computer?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by PEBKAC

thanks, I think I can finally choose one. Now I just gotta make up my mind between vista or xp..LOL

Whichever you want, think XP is getting hard to find, but I would say 7 may very well be worth it at release (slated for summer), from my beta experience.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• PEBKACPEBKAC Member Posts: 43

(XP) AMD Kuma 2.7 BE, 2gigsGeil  ddr2 1066, Asus mobo, 2 WD 150 Raptor 'raid 0' ,  4870 512, Antec 650w psu, liteon dvd-rw  ,Antec mini p 180

(Vista) AMD Deneb 3.0 BE, 4gb Geil 1066, everything else is the same as above.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

I have a ATI HD 4850 and it rips through everything i have thrown at it. I also have 6 GB RAM and a quad core Q8200. But I play Crysis everything at Very High, (but anti-aliasing can not be above 2X) smooth as heck.

The card itself though is really great. I'd get the 4870 if you can afford, but the 4850 is no slouch.

Either one will be more than sufficient for VG, no problem.

BTW, This Link to "Can you run it" site is great for checking you comp.