Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do we know about Crafting and Housing ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

Guess only Bioware knows about this at this moment.

I read that there were player housing in SWG though. (being discussed here: http://gamezig.com/mmorpg/star-wars-the-old-republic-swtor-player-housing )

For you guys that have played SWG, did it work out well? Should it be implemented in SWTOR you think?

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

i don't know much about this game, but i would be sort of surprised if there is an indepth crafting/housing system.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

All we know if that there will be crafting in some form. Whether its as simplistic as WAR or indepth as SWG no-one knows. No word on housing but there are pages and pages on the official forums about people wanting it. www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

They said there will be an economy "like WoW's", since this is a loot based game. We don't know too much about crafting yet, only that they'll be implementing it in a way that would be suitable for a "hero". That could mean have droids or subordinates doing the work, or something completely new... who knows? Lightsaber crafting is probable.

As for player housing, they've posted a few screenshots of homes with interiors, but they haven't said anything at all about it. Early interviews said that they were focused on building a game and not a "simulator". It's one of the major topics discussed on the main forums.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• xunilzxunilz Member Posts: 1

The crafting system and the housing in SWG was awesome i loved it :) hope this will have the same maybe even better

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

I really doubt there will be player housing...you know this topic is always extremely popular,and tons of people are let down by the news that player housing is not included in new MMO's. You would think MMO companies would get the hint that people want it.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by Narshe

suitable for a "hero"

Not to derail but is this going to be like AoC where every player is the 'hero' of the storyline?

• NicroxNicrox Member Posts: 140

I'd like too see an indepth crafting and housing system. I believe that crafting and player housing is what binds an mmo together with pvp/pve.  Most player who pvp/pve become tired after a few months maybe even a year of doing this and always want too try crafting and the same is said about crafters so theres a constant change between the two types.  Most mmo's now are pretty much a general mmo with little crafting and more pvp/pve which is unfortunate just as pvp/pve players want to have indepth pvp/pve so do crafters. The way I look at it a mmo should allow for both too be an enriching experience because there are ppl from boths sides who want too experience a mmo to the fullest.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I am playing VG because it has housing and deep crafting.I won't play a game that does not have it....period.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Nicrox

I'd like too see an indepth crafting and housing system. I believe that crafting and player housing is what binds an mmo together with pvp/pve.  Most player who pvp/pve become tired after a few months maybe even a year of doing this and always want too try crafting and the same is said about crafters so theres a constant change between the two types.  Most mmo's now are pretty much a general mmo with little crafting and more pvp/pve which is unfortunate just as pvp/pve players want to have indepth pvp/pve so do crafters. The way I look at it a mmo should allow for both too be an enriching experience because there are ppl from boths sides who want too experience a mmo to the fullest.

Yes I agree it's a sad, sad shame. Immersion people! There is still no MMO out there as complete to me as FFXI, none. Even Vanguard is missing something. /sigh

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I just want a ship that can blow up other ships

• TeganxTeganx Member Posts: 401
    Originally posted by Cynthe

Originally posted by Nicrox

Yes I agree it's a sad, sad shame. Immersion people! There is still no MMO out there as complete to me as FFXI, none. Even Vanguard is missing something. /sigh

QFT. I just started last week and I couldnt agree more. FFXI is a top notch MMO.

playing: darkfall
    waiting: earthrise

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Miklosan

I read that there were player housing in SWG though. (being discussed here: http://gamezig.com/mmorpg/star-wars-the-old-republic-swtor-player-housing )

For you guys that have played SWG, did it work out well? Should it be implemented in SWTOR you think?

Untill now its the only MMO where player housing and player cities actually had use. And it wont be implemented in the same way in SW:TOR because the world has to be designed for it.

Playerhousing in SWG is not instanced and you can actually place a house (or more then 1) somewhere in the wild. Not to mention decoration, storage possibilities. For crafters a house is very important to have a place to put personal crafting stations in. Not to mention as storage for the resources.

For harvesting, machines are used that you also place in the world (like a real time strategy game) after surveying.

Also every single item that you loot (SWG has loads) can be dropped in your house for decoration.

SW:TOR will be a different kind of MMO and Im really looking forward to see if they can live up to their singleplayer RPG reputation.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by dhayes68

suitable for a "hero"

Not to derail but is this going to be like AoC where every player is the 'hero' of the storyline?

Yep. Only they're making it the whole game instead of just the first 20 levels.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by Zorvan

suitable for a "hero"

Yep. Only they're making it the whole game instead of just the first 20 levels.

So not really an MMO, more of a standalone rpg with multiplayer. (if true. I know details are thin and I should know better than to hate it or love it before launch)

• AltosAltos Member Posts: 64

suitable for a "hero"

Something like that.  Yes.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by Arawon

I am playing VG because it has housing and deep crafting.I won't play a game that does not have it....period.

I love deep crafting systems and must have player housing as well to truley stay in a game for a long period of time.  However, I recall reading that there will be no housing in SWTOR.  I believed it to be a reliable source at the time, but can't remember where I read it.  The only reason I think this is because after I saw that in a podcast or in writing I quit following SWTOR to the degree I was before I heard that there would be no housing.  Hopefully my source was incorrect. 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

housing? who knows? yet......this one is featured in a SS of Hutta.

Offering protection from the harsh environment, this dwelling provides safe living quarters for those unfortunate enough to call Hutta “home”.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

I wouldn't say deep crafting Arawon, don't delude and lie to the people here. Vanguards crafting is not deep and in depth as I had a number of crafters  in that game level 50 armorsmith (with all recipes) level 40 armorsmith (Nergle FInkwhistle (with all recipes) a level 50 leather worker (all recipes) and I can tell you I did crafting pretty much watching BSG episodes and other movies on television hoping my wrist wouldn't fall off.

SWG to date is the only game that had a true crafting dynamic and that went out the door with NGE. While I do hope some crafting to make things better in the game is in like ship engineer, saber customization, tinkerer and such I don't wanna see full blown crafting professions like in SWG.

My reason being as I did love that game, this game is not SWG and it needs to be something totally different brought to the MMO market, not the same old rehashed shit from 1990 through 2004.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Nergle

I wouldn't say deep crafting Arawon, don't delude and lie to the people here. Vanguards crafting is not deep and in depth as I had a number of crafters  in that game level 50 armorsmith (with all recipes) level 40 armorsmith (Nergle FInkwhistle (with all recipes) a level 50 leather worker (all recipes) and I can tell you I did crafting pretty much watching BSG episodes and other movies on television hoping my wrist wouldn't fall off.

SWG to date is the only game that had a true crafting dynamic and that went out the door with NGE. While I do hope some crafting to make things better in the game is in like ship engineer, saber customization, tinkerer and such I don't wanna see full blown crafting professions like in SWG.

My reason being as I did love that game, this game is not SWG and it needs to be something totally different brought to the MMO market, not the same old rehashed shit from 1990 through 2004.

Name calling doesen't win arguments among the rational...only among those like the poster.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Name calling doesen't win arguments among the rational...only among those like the poster.

Good lord, when did he call you a name?

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270
    Originally posted by star.buck

Good lord, when did he call you a name?

lol I was kind of wondering the same thing...I read the post like 3 times.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Miklosan

Before they totally borked the game swg had one of the best housing and crafting systems around, I did craft but didn't get as into it as I do now. What I remember most is this awesome little "mall city" before they even allowed player cities all the best crafters on our server put up guild houses as stores and you'd go in and could literally shop for hours and there always seemed to be items for sale that you just had never seen before. I also loved the fact that you really weren't relegated to just one house either you had a set number of lots assigned to your toon and different house sizes were worth various amounts of points I don't think you could have two of the large houses at once but you certainly could have a medium house on naboo and a small one on Tattoine.

By the time they implemented player created cities they had broken the game in far too many other ways for it to matter and even this turned around to bite them as players left in droves leaving ghost houses littering the landscape by the time this had happened crafting had been borked many times over so even that had lost it's luster and many of the malls were gone and people simply didn't trust soe enough to invest the large amounts of time it took to be a good crafter.

Having said that it really irks me when devs don't put in things like housing and crafting, other than the man hours it takes to develop this has to be one of the least taxing elements of creating any mmo it's essentially just a personal storage system but it does go a really long way to make your players feel a part of the game world and while some players may not care enough to bother with these features I can assure you games have been quit for lack of housing and crafting but I doubt anyone ever quit because it was there if they chose not to partake in the features they just didn't.

Now I hope Bioware doesn't make the same mistake of ignoring us roleplayers out there because I can say these features are certainly important as they allow players to feel immersed in the game world.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Noktaris

I really doubt there will be player housing...you know this topic is always extremely popular,and tons of people are let down by the news that player housing is not included in new MMO's. You would think MMO companies would get the hint that people want it.

Oh they do extensive research. The reason they are not doing it is that not enough people want it.

Personally, if they have resources, I would much rather to have a new dungeon to explore than play housing. You really can't do much with player housing anyway.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

For housing i'd say the best we can hope for is instanced housing like maybe apartments on Coruscant. Maybe Bioware will surprise us all.