Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Richard Garriott says he's going back to gaming

12346»

Comments

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

EA know how to kill an mmo.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by kinglee

I have advice for anyone hiring--don't give any money upfront, pay him by the hour, and provide him with oversight that does not share a mother.

I very much agree with that.  It isn't wise to give people with creative natures the keys to the castle.  They need to be managed and their attention constantly kept in realistic goals.  The same thing happened to Brad McQuaid. 

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Heh, good luck with that. I'm pretty sure he totally effed up his reputation with this stinker

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Asamof

Heh, good luck with that. I'm pretty sure he totally effed up his reputation with this stinker

I highly doubt he has ruined his reputation. Did it it take a hit? Sure. But he will get another chance.

• JMadisonIVJMadisonIV Member Posts: 282

his next game will fail when he decides to abandon developing the game in order to take a trip to the Lost City of Atlantis 2 weeks after the game launches.

{ Mod Edit }

• vondemonvondemon Member Posts: 9

This is great news, I for one am looking forward to his next game.  Richard Garriott has had a remarkable career and an incredible impact on the direction games have taken in the last twenty years.

Has every game been great?  Hell no but I've never heard him say that all his games were successes.  One thing you can't argue about is his willingness to try new things and that's all too rare in the industry.  And if anyone has the clout to get someone to invest in a new idea, it's him.

Of course a bunch of bitter haters will post in this thread but that's simply a sad fact of the current gaming community.

To those who play games for fun, cheers.  The future just got a little brighter.

• jposavatzjposavatz Member Posts: 161

I'm hardly an expert in the history of RG, but it seems that this guy founded one of the most note-worty RPG's of all time (Ultima), followed that with a ground breaking MMO (Ultima Online), and then had 1 slight hiccup with TR.  And everybody is abandoning ship on the guy?

Nobody gets it perfect every time.  Just like the tagline for TR, I consider every project that he understakes as a blank slate... maybe the next one will be great, maybe not, but sure I'll take a look and form a judgement on the work itself, not on his most recent hiccup...

• oronisioronisi Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by jposavatz

I'm hardly an expert in the history of RG, but it seems that this guy founded one of the most note-worty RPG's of all time (Ultima), followed that with a ground breaking MMO (Ultima Online), and then had 1 slight hiccup with TR.  And everybody is abandoning ship on the guy?
    Nobody gets it perfect every time.  Just like the tagline for TR, I consider every project that he understakes as a blank slate... maybe the next one will be great, maybe not, but sure I'll take a look and form a judgement on the work itself, not on his most recent hiccup...

You may see him as a visionary that's had a recent slip-up.  I see him as a has-been who's ideas are old and is no longer relevant.  The only way we'll know who's right is after his next game.  After playing TR and dealing with the dev team during beta testing, I won't be paying for any new game.  The team lacked vision, the project lacked vision, and it was doomed to fail.

I hope you are right and I am wrong because we need some good MMOs, but I'm not an optimist at this point.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Well, I hope it goes well for 'em, it's not so easy to come up with great games when mostly everything has already been done and is now cliche.

• gringemoregringemore Member Posts: 182

What he needs to do is simple. Just redo UO update graphics and bigtime update security. do not know about all of you but I would be there in a heartbeat.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Well, you are right. You are NOT an expert in the history of RG.

Ultima 7 is great. Ultima 8 is panned (platform jumping in an ultima, wtf?) and Ultima 9 is disastrous. Arguing he made a pack with the devil (EA) and got burned.

UO is really more Raph Koster than RG. So he has not made anything great since U7 which is a long long time ago.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Well, you are right. You are NOT an expert in the history of RG.
    Ultima 7 is great. Ultima 8 is panned (platform jumping in an ultima, wtf?) and Ultima 9 is disastrous. Arguing he made a pack with the devil (EA) and got burned.
    UO is really more Raph Koster than RG. So he has not made anything great since U7 which is a long long time ago.

^^ THIS ^^

damn i wish koster would go back to making REAL games.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• HoppimikeHoppimike Member Posts: 16

man this guy needs to work out what he wants to do with himself! lol

I have great respect for the guy but man.. he crazy! lol

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Originally posted by Asamof

I highly doubt he has ruined his reputation. Did it it take a hit? Sure. But he will get another chance.

In the gaming circles I run in, he is seen as a total joke. I'd be surprised if we ever see another title from him again. Maybe they'll let him be part of a larger team lead by someone else...

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

It's a sign of the times really, if your not producing winners all the time then your a complete loser, natural logic really isn't it .

I've got more faith than that though and will wait to see what he has in store for us in the future and I'm in no doubt that he will find himself a company that will gladly take him onboard.

I'l leave the doomsayers to relect on their belly button lint.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Originally posted by hoppimike

Why do you need to put "lol" after each statement?

Back to topic: While he did make good games, 10 years ago, RG was just a selfish arse who completely quit a project his name is plastered all over to go to space. He should have stuck with what he started. His rep has severly suffered for it. I may check out his next game, but I still won't forgive him for what happened to TR.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by D3mis3

Originally posted by hoppimike

Why do you need to put "lol" after each statement?

Back to topic: While he did make good games, 10 years ago, RG was just a selfish arse who completely quit a project his name is plastered all over to go to space. He should have stuck with what he started. His rep has severly suffered for it. I may check out his next game, but I still won't forgive him for what happened to TR.

So in his position with the chance of a lifetime to go into space you would say "NO I can't go because I've got a game I need to see through to the end, no one else here can do it, I'm the man in charge and without me the whole place will fall apart" thats just what I would have said....hahahahahaha.

Now one man in a large company does not make a great game, it's a team effort as I'm sure ppl are well aware of and I've absolutely no idea what went on behind the scene's at NCSoft with TR while RG was involved, maybe he was an arse and maybe he wasn't and I won't try to second guess because I certainly wasn't involved with the company other than being a customer, thats my only insight into the whole thing and I would imagine so is everyone else who is posting a view here, however those ppl that know someone who knows someone who knows someone else who knows someone elses cousin who once lived near NCSoft are to be truly believed in all gaming matters

I also don't profess to know RG but I do know his games and I have enjoyed them over the years, I even enjoyed TR and it's still a mystery why they had to pull it when other MMO's out there have less customers, NCSofts expectations are obviously set alot higher than most companies, but it's their choice and I'm sure in this current climate they are also doing the same cost cutting exercises other companies are going through right now to ensure they are able to stay competitive.

• kingleekinglee Member Posts: 103