Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pulling the trigger and going for it

I'm in the middle of the 14 day trial....but before i go to far down the path let me introduce myself. I think i'm your typical MMORPG jumkie - played UO, EQ, Shadowbane, Planetside, EQ II, WOW and most recently AOC. My only experience with this game came from a friend who left WOW to play with his guild then went slowly crazy as the game seemed to come apart at the seams. I believe his wife had to talk him in from the ledge on several occations.

Anyway, I've got a Shamie and Bard up to lvl 10 and i find the game good. I mean it's nothing earthshatering but it's got all the basics for a good solid game (so far, i mean i'm only lvl 10  and still on noob island).  I'm sure I"m going to enjoy it.

Here are my 2 questions:

1. I"m on Xeth - is there any point in trying to find a guild, I figure at this stage in the game they don't need/want a lowbie mucking up the works. Is it worth trying to join?

2. The two classes i've played so far are fun (although bard is pretty complex). How do they do soloing? And can i solo to 50?

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

you may want to try the seradon server. i used to play over there and theres alot of people on that.  you probably will need groups for some of the quests that give out the really good loot. i dont know if you can solo to 50 really. i would say no based on my experience.

• MaendauronMaendauron Member Posts: 118

Welcome to the game, I think you will enjoy it the more you play.  It becomes overwhelming with just how much you have to do but it's tonnes of fun.

Yes, you can join a guild if you plan on staying, there are guilds who will recruit any level.  The ones asking for level 20 and above just don't want trial players applying or people who will drop out quickly.

Any class is ok for soloing, some are better than others but you've chosen two classes I think will solo just fine.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Most guilds are always looking for new people. So that shouldnt be a problem. Theres a great guild recruitment tab in Vanguard that I wish would become a standard MMO feature. Guilds will write up a little ad and say what they are about and looking for and will give you a list of recruitment officers for that guild.

Soloing isnt a problem for any class and there is a lot of solo content all the way up to level 50. But Bards and Shamans have great buffs and are in high demand for groups.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Welcome!

Take your time on a guild.  There will be plenty to choose from and you have plenty of time.  The guilds that invite early and often may not have much to offer and very little culture.  Those guilds that have high requirements and make a recruit group with them, chat with them etc.... those are more likely to have a solid culture and community.

Besides, as you level, you'll be figuring out who you want to be in the game.  A raider, a crafter, a boat-builder, a diplomat, an adventurer, etc.  Once you've figured out your path, then you'll be in a good position to seek out a guild.

In the meantime, build-up your friends list and you'll probably get to the point of having a 'redi-group' everytime you log in.

Have fun!

• Thanks for the info everyone. It's a good sign of a strong community when you get this type of feedback.

See you in-game.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by lornj

you may want to try the seradon server. i used to play over there and theres alot of people on that.  you probably will need groups for some of the quests that give out the really good loot. i dont know if you can solo to 50 really. i would say no based on my experience.

Xeth has a very good population... its just a rumor that Seradon's population is larger.  

You can solo this game but you will miss out on a lot of content if you do.   Pick Up Groups can be inconsistent. I would definately look to join a guild ASAP.

In game there is a social tool which lists all the guild looking for recruits.. I thinks its in the LFG tool.. but I am at work so not sure.

Over on the vanguard forums you will fine a section devoted to there servers.  The server forums often have threads from guilds looking for recruits:  Here is the Xeth thread:

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/forums/show.m?forum_id=31

• Thanks for the advice. Here's a quick update. In the week i've played i've found the classes very good. I've got a Shamie and Bard up to 10 and a BM up to 8. I'd love to try some others as well but I'll come back to it later. For now i'm moving forward. I just went out and purchased the game (last one at GameStop) and i'm in the process of patching (1:30 to go).

I've found the community here and in game very helpful. In fact i ran the Temple on Noob island with a guy who's an old hand at the game and he's invited me into his guild.

The strongest characteristics of this game for me so far are the classes and community. Of course this coming from someone who hasn't played very long may sound somewhat pompus but i can tell you i've played lots of MMOs and you get a sense fairly quickly how this shape up.

Anyway, I'm going to run with the Bard for a while and see how that turns out. I've been given the heads up that they start slowing down soloing in their 20s because of low/mid HP so groups become essential. Fortunately Bards are in demand so I should be ok. 

Thanks again everyone.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Welcome to Vanguard.  First thing your going to want to do is lose the default UI.  Try downloaded COREUI and its much better crafting panels, mapping system, etc.