Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GOLD SPAMMERS?? How to stop them or slow them down!!

Suggestions forums: Let me remind people this is the Suggestions forums. where players like me can make a Suggestions.

GOLD SPAMMER ?? How to Stop them or slow them down alot.

Hey look,

It like this I hate gold spammer more then anything in the world. I know alot people that well quit a game if there whisper 100 times aday by gold spammer.

So I try to come up with way to slow them down. Your never going to Stop them.

1. All trial Accounts can only whisper people that has them on there friends list. (If you invite your friend to the game you should know there game name)

2. Searching for: People, Raids, Groups, Zone, Server what ever else.

Searching for people only useable at some kind of level. Like lvl 10 or so.

Why? gold spammer don't like to level up there toons.

If you go to any online game and look at there Gold spammer levels there all ways lvl 1

Make a note in the Rules. If a Gold spammer gets Reported for spamming players and the GMs look up there Account and Find your message the gold spammer The names on the Search list. your Account is also ban.

This may not Stop the Gold spammer but it sure would slow them down Alot.

I well keep think of new way to Slow this gold spammer LOSER down. this is just a new idea I come up with. Good luck

No I don't mean gold farmers. I mean Gold Spammers the gold spammers that Harass players by whispring them in game tell them to go buy gold at there website.

A sure fire way to stop gold farmers and spammers is for little kids not to buy gold in the frist place. I've never played a game where you had to buy gold.

If a GM of MMORPG.com reads this please let all the beta games know about this. I was think this would be the easyest way for me to get this idea out there.  Thanks and Good luck!!!

I am like the Chameleon. I seek the game that I cannot conquer. I dodge; I change; I battle the unknown. I am the phantom - dark and strong.

Comments

• lordlapselordlapse Member Posts: 231

Even in Atlantica OBT there are a lot of gold spammers. And I believe that you can slow them down by active GM monitoring. The players have to play a part too. Anyone can put on a "report" button in their game, how about a direct link telling the GMs that player so and so is spamming gold. A small level check will do, for these ppl dont earn exp very often.

• jrmagicboyjrmagicboy Member Posts: 8

WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Has a gold spammer report. Right click on the players name. Click Report gold spammer. But see alot people use that just to ignore the player in the game. 

And if a player has the rights to mute someone in chat thay could just mute anyone thay don't like. Gold spammers or not. 

And see that still don't fix the GOLD SPAMMERs I can make up a 100 names aday. each time I am going to spam you 1 time before you mute me.  Making up 100 names aday 

That would be you getting 100 whispers by Gold Spammers a day. 

The game can not give Players the rights to ban them Accounts.

That would shut the game down. Frist person you don't like and you ban them. I don't think  thay would be coming back to the game. where anyone can ban them for anything and everything. 

I am like the Chameleon. I seek the game that I cannot conquer. I dodge; I change; I battle the unknown. I am the phantom - dark and strong.

• Cypher50Cypher50 Member Posts: 26

One solution could be to give players the ability to moderate the chat themselves.

Although it'd have to be carefully monitored to prevent abuse, maybe something like 10 reports of a player within 30 seconds would mute that player for 15minutes.

Maybe only allowing active players to participate in the moderation could prevent abuse (Preventing using bots and such to abuse the feature to harass non-offending players)

GM's setting up watchlists for key phrases and words would probably be the best idea though, and the easiest to impliment, although my experiance of MMOs so far, this either hasnt been considered, or dosent work

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

As suggested above:

*personal text filtering blocking.

*block button.

*Once GM verifies account as gold spammer = invisible-MUTE the entire ACCOUNT. (Do NOT delete it else they will make another one) Now spammer can spam all he wants thinking players are listening to all his spam/mails, but in reality they are muted but he wont know it. Good way to "contain" a lot of them in a silence chamber of sorts.

* Log IP of verified spammer. Keep a database of IPs. If 5 different (or subsequent) account are from same IP. Ban the IP. Since these days its mostly DSL, IP's tend to be relatively static in about half the world. Now if IP is dynamic - then what is the probability that a normal person who is assigned the same IP *will* also be flagged as spammer? Wont happen unless they too spam for gold. Has to happen 5x times to be banned for say 1 month.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

• ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89

Okay, you posted this on the wrong board.

This board is for OPEN BETA DISCUSSIONS. Questions about open betas, open beta games, etc etc. I've had to sit by and watch people forget that fact time and time again. Read which board you're in before posting, -please-.

Gold farmers will never go away because people will keep buying gold, it gives them an edge.

Want to stop gold farmers? Stop playing MMORPGs. That'll stop them.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

As a WOW player I can say at least for myself that I will report every spammer i find out there. Best way though is also the creative way they come up with names (Such as "whjklkdfsg" or "sdddjklphmr") {Ahh button mashing}

I do think the mute would be a great tool ... Funny thing is i know real players with viable accounts I would mute. But I think that is anyone were to get say 10 reports in 30 sec that the Mute be automatic for 30 min. That way you would be effected for a mere 30 sec.

Sad thing is that the Gold Spammers are simply advertising, really anoying advertising, but still that is what they do. Eliminate the need for the service you kill the need for advertising.

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252
    Originally posted by ssnautilus

*Once GM verifies account as gold spammer = invisible-MUTE the entire ACCOUNT. (Do NOT delete it else they will make another one) Now spammer can spam all he wants thinking players are listening to all his spam/mails, but in reality they are muted but he wont know it. Good way to "contain" a lot of them in a silence chamber of sorts.

That is the best solution I've heard yet. Keep in mind, gold spammers also contribute to the company's bottom line. So they are probably not too eager to remove people that are increasing their revenue - despite what they might say to the general public.

• guitarcrashguitarcrash Member Posts: 20

I agree. Besides whatever a company does to stop them they will eventually find a way out. They will sell the gold no matter what. Thats like their source of income, so cant really blame them.

When I hold my guitar, I become a different person.

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788

set them all on fire that'll stop them

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by Draq

Ok folks, let me spell it out for you. You get IMed by a goldspammer ONCE per character. There are sweatshops full of chinese babies creating new characters constantly and running spam bots. Blocking doesn't help. Letting players ban would be stupid. NO amount of chat moderation will help, actually. What you need are hard coded prevention measures. Fortunately for you, I'm here to help.

Firstly, you flat out can't stop them. Unless the market dries up, they will always be there. The best you can hope for is to slow them down a bit.

Step 1: Trigger phrases for auto ignore. All tells and general chats would be scanned for said trigger phrases. Since it would be a client side thing, space would be limitless. If it finds the trigger phrase (Say, the url of the goldseller's site), it instantly ignores the character. It would of course send you a friendly "You have ignored fwhqhgads" message in your system window, but you'd be able to turn those off. It would be absolutely VITAL to include boolean operators. So they can't mix it up on you with "Best akhfga Prices poiasdchva go to ..."you get the idea. So you should be able to block messages with MMO and GOLD and COM and "Best Prices" in any order.

Secondly, the report goldspammer button. All these things do is report the goldspammer. What they SHOULD do is automatically add the message to your autoblock trigger list. Of course, this won't stop them for too long (Fr3e V|agr a anyone?), but it would be a nice stopgap measure and rather easily implementable on any chat system unless you coded it stupid. Judging from my own spam experiences, a spammer changes their message every week or so, so that will put you in the clear for quite some time and beats just blocking them one throwaway at a time.

The above two steps combined should deter spammers, forcing them to change their message both frequently and drastically, in ways it would be hard to write a bot for. Of course, they'll likely find a way.

So, as an above poster said, restrict searching for players until level X SEEMS like a good solution. But, this will piss off lower level players. A lot. ANY restriction on lowbies and chatting will piss off your players royally, especially if they're like me and end up creating 10 characters before they're happy with one. Plus, remember, there are sweatshops with chinese babies working to sell you phat gold at low low prices. If they have to, they can bot up to whatever level you want, in multiple instances. Level restrictions don't phase the clever spammer.

The goal of such a measure would of course be to limit the number of characters they can create, thus limiting the number of unblocked tellss they can send. So that's the goal. Why not just DO that? You can't make more than 5 characters per day per account. Maybe even 5 characters per WEEK. I know what you're thinking. Worst idea ever, right? Because you make enough characters to populate a small country before you're actually happy with one. I do the same thing. That's where the REMAKE button comes in.

The Remake button keeps your name (that way people who blocked you will still have blocked you, you filthy spammer), but lets you remake your character from scratch otherwise. I feel the need to point out that the name entry screen should be the FIRST screen, not the last like the weenies at DDO seem to think. You can Remake your character as long as he's below level X. Of course, they end up level 1 again, but come on, you can't tell me you don't get sick of deleting your characters to remake them.

So, while goldspamming isn't impossible under this system, each account can only spam you 5 times per week and they have to change their message EVERY TIME. To boot, I added great features for the common man to use, and I haven't restricted any legitimate player in any way! Clearly I am a genius.

I like the idea of auto filtering out gold spam phrases. In the beginning it wouldn't be effective. But after the filter list becomes say, 500 different phrases are filtered out... it would become increasingly tough to properly communicate with the player you are spamming. If you start writing in l33t, you will lose revenue. Autofiltering words like COM, MMO, GOLD won't happen, well because they are common. You need to filter out the phrases they are using. It should be done similar to how Antivirus works, you get updated definitions on what a virus is occassionally. Here you'd get an updated list on what a spam message phrase can be.

These guys don't contribute to revenue, they detract from it, people quit from games more from gold spammers than any other activity. It is dispised, it's spam and you can't hide from it unless the MMO company gives you the tools to do so. Antispam tools.

This is how the tool would work.

1. Player A gets a spam message, he reports the message as spam (right click on the text in the chat window)

2. GM's get the alert, they verify it is spam, invisible mute the spammer, don't ban or they'll catch on quicker, add the phrase to the filter list.

3. Phrase is added to the filter list. Any spambot that uses that exact phrase will be invisible muted.

By Invisible Muted, it means the player is muted so as they can still send whispers, but the recieving player will not recieve them. Since gold spammers don't expect replies (other than death threats occassionally), it will be harder to pick up.

AND THE ALTERNATIVE METHOD.

I hope MMO's migrate more towards voice chatting in the near future. Then we will hear spamming voice messages in town from some random chinese accent telling us to go buy gold. Haha.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Heh, they aren't that stupid though. Can't IP ban them because they're on a proxy. You can just ban the account, but they buy those with in-game gold. But banning them is the best way really. The gold-sellers in Guild Wars can't sell gold anymore, because they're stuck with buying accounts. And by the time they bought one, they already got banned... 

On a side note; they're pathetic. They offer 300k-900k for an account... While you can't carry more than 100k on a single character. I smell scamming!

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• DunkelGrafDunkelGraf Member Posts: 8

What about people stop buying that gold? And start playing the game as its meant to be, a roleplaying game......

• miner0miner0 Member Posts: 5

hello i just came back from my long vacation and I forgot my past ID and pass, however im here again as game critic and addict .

your sigGY aNd AVATAR are nice.

look like an elf.

is that game new? or just updated from local publishers?

• diediedie119diediedie119 Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by FastTx

Originally posted by Draq

Ok folks, let me spell it out for you. You get IMed by a goldspammer ONCE per character. There are sweatshops full of chinese babies creating new characters constantly and running spam bots. Blocking doesn't help. Letting players ban would be stupid. NO amount of chat moderation will help, actually. What you need are hard coded prevention measures. Fortunately for you, I'm here to help.

Firstly, you flat out can't stop them. Unless the market dries up, they will always be there. The best you can hope for is to slow them down a bit.

Step 1: Trigger phrases for auto ignore. All tells and general chats would be scanned for said trigger phrases. Since it would be a client side thing, space would be limitless. If it finds the trigger phrase (Say, the url of the goldseller's site), it instantly ignores the character. It would of course send you a friendly "You have ignored fwhqhgads" message in your system window, but you'd be able to turn those off. It would be absolutely VITAL to include boolean operators. So they can't mix it up on you with "Best akhfga Prices poiasdchva go to ..."you get the idea. So you should be able to block messages with MMO and GOLD and COM and "Best Prices" in any order.

Secondly, the report goldspammer button. All these things do is report the goldspammer. What they SHOULD do is automatically add the message to your autoblock trigger list. Of course, this won't stop them for too long (Fr3e V|agr a anyone?), but it would be a nice stopgap measure and rather easily implementable on any chat system unless you coded it stupid. Judging from my own spam experiences, a spammer changes their message every week or so, so that will put you in the clear for quite some time and beats just blocking them one throwaway at a time.

The above two steps combined should deter spammers, forcing them to change their message both frequently and drastically, in ways it would be hard to write a bot for. Of course, they'll likely find a way.

So, as an above poster said, restrict searching for players until level X SEEMS like a good solution. But, this will piss off lower level players. A lot. ANY restriction on lowbies and chatting will piss off your players royally, especially if they're like me and end up creating 10 characters before they're happy with one. Plus, remember, there are sweatshops with chinese babies working to sell you phat gold at low low prices. If they have to, they can bot up to whatever level you want, in multiple instances. Level restrictions don't phase the clever spammer.

The goal of such a measure would of course be to limit the number of characters they can create, thus limiting the number of unblocked tellss they can send. So that's the goal. Why not just DO that? You can't make more than 5 characters per day per account. Maybe even 5 characters per WEEK. I know what you're thinking. Worst idea ever, right? Because you make enough characters to populate a small country before you're actually happy with one. I do the same thing. That's where the REMAKE button comes in.

The Remake button keeps your name (that way people who blocked you will still have blocked you, you filthy spammer), but lets you remake your character from scratch otherwise. I feel the need to point out that the name entry screen should be the FIRST screen, not the last like the weenies at DDO seem to think. You can Remake your character as long as he's below level X. Of course, they end up level 1 again, but come on, you can't tell me you don't get sick of deleting your characters to remake them.

So, while goldspamming isn't impossible under this system, each account can only spam you 5 times per week and they have to change their message EVERY TIME. To boot, I added great features for the common man to use, and I haven't restricted any legitimate player in any way! Clearly I am a genius.

I like the idea of auto filtering out gold spam phrases. In the beginning it wouldn't be effective. But after the filter list becomes say, 500 different phrases are filtered out... it would become increasingly tough to properly communicate with the player you are spamming. If you start writing in l33t, you will lose revenue. Autofiltering words like COM, MMO, GOLD won't happen, well because they are common. You need to filter out the phrases they are using. It should be done similar to how Antivirus works, you get updated definitions on what a virus is occassionally. Here you'd get an updated list on what a spam message phrase can be.

These guys don't contribute to revenue, they detract from it, people quit from games more from gold spammers than any other activity. It is dispised, it's spam and you can't hide from it unless the MMO company gives you the tools to do so. Antispam tools.

This is how the tool would work.

1. Player A gets a spam message, he reports the message as spam (right click on the text in the chat window)

2. GM's get the alert, they verify it is spam, invisible mute the spammer, don't ban or they'll catch on quicker, add the phrase to the filter list.

3. Phrase is added to the filter list. Any spambot that uses that exact phrase will be invisible muted.

By Invisible Muted, it means the player is muted so as they can still send whispers, but the recieving player will not recieve them. Since gold spammers don't expect replies (other than death threats occassionally), it will be harder to pick up.

AND THE ALTERNATIVE METHOD.

I hope MMO's migrate more towards voice chatting in the near future. Then we will hear spamming voice messages in town from some random chinese accent telling us to go buy gold. Haha.

Ok, I agree, but also you could add a boolean type interface that (running client side of course) would look for common spam words like MMO, GOLD, BUY, ".COM" etc. AND other not so common words like BEST OFFER and USD, if they are found it would mute the person and add the words used to a list with values showing how common words are.

This way no matter how that adapt, we will be one step ahead

• rturjarturja Member Posts: 199

Just like with regular spam, text based filtering doesn't help that much, neither does filtering based on character name.

First thing needed is a company that really cares about stopping goldselling and just doesn't see them as additional sources of revenue. Then ingame reporting tools making it easy to report any spam sent and sending the ingame mail/chatlog with ads to the GM. As with spam mail, IP-blocking Asia has been very successful on the games that have implemented it.

Actaully stopping or filtering trial accounts won't help much, in both of the games Iactively play at the moment at least 50% of gold spam is sent from nontrial accounts. But then reporting and catching a seller with a real sub hurts them financially.

In the games I play, I woulds really love to see both caught goldsellers and their clients hanged in public place every now and then, and like UO cheaters, their houses and other property burned etc... At my viewpoint not only the sellers should be punished, but the buyers should be punished as well.

Playing: AC2
    Played: UO, DaoC, Horizons, Ryzom, WAR, LotRO, Eve, VG...

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

A player cannot talk in General or Zone Channel until they reach lvl 10.

In this way Gold sellers have to spend 5 hours of game just to spam the mesage few minutes before getting the account deleted.

They don't like leveling their "mules", in particular when they will be erased after they start spamming.

There is no real need to talk in General during the early levels, they are the most solo levels of any game usually, so  don't think it will limit the rights of a legitimate player.

Originally posted by ste2000

A player cannot talk in General or Zone Channel until they reach lvl 10.

In this way Gold sellers have to spend 5 hours of game just to spam the mesage few minutes before getting the account deleted.

They don't like leveling their "mules", in particular when they will be erased after they start spamming.

There is no real need to talk in General during the early levels, they are the most solo levels of any game usually, so  don't think it will limit the rights of a legitimate player.

But people do ask the most questions in the beginning of the game! 

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Stop buying...Problem fixed.

Sadly, in a recent poll here, quite alot of people bought gold.... some of wich also complains about gold spammers, botters and whatnot....

imageThe last of the Trackers

Originally posted by wolfmann

Stop buying...Problem fixed.

Sadly, in a recent poll here, quite alot of people bought gold.... some of wich also complains about gold spammers, botters and whatnot....

Yup, as long as there are idiots buying virtual money with real money, there'll be gold sellers... We can only hope the current economic crisis will let people think about how they spent their money. :D Do they really want to waste it on buying virtual money?...

• JonathanQ917JonathanQ917 Member Posts: 8

I personally do not know the big deal with smappers, yeah sure they are annoying as hell but guess what? I figure that if I am an old enough person to fix my own breakfast and cross the street without an adult..I can kit that lil "x" button to close the private msgs they send me and delete the in game mail they send me. Takes a sec, 5 if ur lagging. I get crazy telemarketer calls that have blocked numbers but you dont see me going nuts screaming on forums about how they are bringing down the telephone industry as we speak! Damn just ignore crap and take it easy, I do not know about your guys bu I have enough crap in my life to be pissed off about and to stress and worry over without being pissed at someone typing a msg to ppl bout a site. Crap I get like 9 of those per facebook page I visit.

Just my two cents, not trying to offend anyone, just want you guys to have less stress.

-JonQ

• dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

I think a good idea would be to give paying veteran subscribers the ability to publically mute other low level players. As in a player who played for 4 months or so and has an active sub can completely make a low level player unable to communicate.

this would make it a whole lot harder for a gold seller to advertise and make it not worthwhile

i forgot to mention that punishment for abusing the mute function (as in using it on a non-gold seller) would have to be extremely harsh (as in a month account suspension and removal of mute ability) to prevent abuse