Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attempting a Return

MangoXIIMangoXII Member Posts: 203

Hi there,

I just purchased the Trilogy (For 30 bucks, I can give someone Prophecies and Factions and get Nightfall when Nightfall alone is 30, better option methinks). I used to play, a long time ago, it seems. I have been getting sick of the standard 50+ levels of other MMORPGs. I felt like I might be able to enjoy the level 20 cap and 8-skills only again.

I remember leaving after my guild fell apart. I am actually wondering if anyone on here is still leveling new characters and/or helping new players to get adjusted. I have four level 20 characters, but remember nothing. Assassin, monk, ranger, warrior. (I'll have Nightfall soon, so I think I might like Dervish, maybe Paragon; not really a caster player) Just wondering if it's easy to get back into the game, to find a fun, friendly guild, maybe just friends, and do random stuff; dungeons, arenas, whatever.

Anyway, if any current players can provide helpful information, I'd be grateful.

Comments

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

very recently i purchased Factions and EOTN for my 2nd account , and created chars of the opposite gender of my chars in my main account. last month i created 3 new characters , one of them got a Survivor title on

i had alot fun doing again those quests in Shing Jea, the newbie island in Factions. i did ALL the professions quests. There are still many people playing the game in those low level areas. i was able to find groups doing missions , and many of them were new players, and some of them were lvl20 players who juz want to help out (or run the missions for a fee)

joining an active casual guild helps too, you can find many guilds recruiting in major cities

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• MangoXIIMangoXII Member Posts: 203

I imagine you can begin a brand new game in Nightfall but with all the classes, right? I figured I'd give that a shot, since I've seen all of Prophecies, and most of Factions. But yeah, I imagine I'd have to find a casual guild. I tried Random Arenas just last night; didn't go well.

Thanks, any more information from people would be very appreciated.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by illyana

very recently i purchased Factions and EOTN for my 2nd account , and created chars of the opposite gender of my chars in my main account. last month i created 3 new characters , one of them got a Survivor title on
    i had alot fun doing again those quests in Shing Jea, the newbie island in Factions. i did ALL the professions quests. There are still many people playing the game in those low level areas. i was able to find groups doing missions , and many of them were new players, and some of them were lvl20 players who juz want to help out (or run the missions for a fee)
    joining an active casual guild helps too, you can find many guilds recruiting in major cities

Cool, I died just before finnishing mine... But I do have a grind char that is trying for the ancient hero of Ascalon, it takes ages.

Anyways to the op: Fastest place to level up a new char is in Nightfall or possibly factions. I am no speed leveler but got up my first NF toon to lvl 20 in 9 hours without too much work (Prophesis took me almost 10 times as long).

I would help you out a little with leveling but I'm off to Cuba in 2 days....

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Assassins and Ritualists are Factions classes and can only be started in Factions, not Nightfall.  All other classes can begin in Nightfall.

In both Factions and Nightfall, the low levels go fast, so you'll be at the level cap in maybe 10 hours or so if you take your time.  Prophecies levels new characters a lot more slowly. 

This is some terrific information, guys. I was actually hoping to level a new assassin, and maybe check out the new appearance models offered by Nightfall for other classes.

I would love any friends from here, that's for sure (To the guy who said he's going to Cuba, not going to make the effort to backtrack to find out the forum handle, sorry. Hehehe.). I'm waiting for the trilogy to arrive (I really hate having to download the maps when I don't have them via the downloadable client) to install all three games.

Keep the advice and information coming, guys. This is getting me interested.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

As a "new" player you shouldn't have a problem finding people to play with at all. There's still over 200 000 account creations per every quarter of the year so there's plenty of fresh meat!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by MangoXII

I'm waiting for the trilogy to arrive (I really hate having to download the maps when I don't have them via the downloadable client) to install all three games.

its probably easier to download the client - with the patching that occurs

if you use the "-image" option, the game launcher will download and uncompress everything

wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Command_line

-- wont have to download any maps ingame

I have two GW shortcuts on my desktop,  one shortcut is only for patching

my patch shortcut has this in the shortcut properties

"C:Program FilesGuild WarsGw.exe" -image

Well, it arrived, I installed. I look forward to giving it a go this weekend.

I don't suppose anyone around would like to create and play new characters with me?

• endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109

I don't suppose anyone around would like to create and play new characters with me?

just add me ingame Revenant Grail if im online i'll be willing to roll a new char with you ^_^ welcome to Guild Wars again 

Alright, I'm trying to level another assassin (Don't like the look of the level 20 I have), paragon, and dervish. I noticed something strange while playing: my character skips around sometimes when using click to move. And the henchmen do the same. It looks as if I have a connection problem, and this is what confuses me. My connection is fine in almost every game I play. Why is this any different?

I'm on a relatively fast cable connection in the middle of the US.

I've never seen my own character skip around.  Henchmen and heroes do that occasionally.  I've generally attributed it to lag, though it could just be some weird bug that makes the animations stop. 

Well, it must be a lag issue, but I need to figure out why I am lagging only on Guild Wars. It's not like the US server is in another country, right?

maybe the is game patching in the background ?

did you use the "-image" option to get everything ?

Originally posted by Nadia

maybe the is game patching in the background ?

did you use the "-image" option to get everything ?

Forgive me, I was going to skip that. But I'm trying it now. I hope it helps.

How easy will it be to get back into the game? (Any of you quit for some time and come back for a fresh start?)

Alright, how about this. Every time I load a new area, the game disappears and shows that Updater client at 100%. You know, the small Guild Wars window that shows before launching the game. Every single area I load, it disappears and shows exactly that box. It doesn't take an unnecessarily long time to bring the game back up (In fact, it's almost instantaneous), but it's very irritating anyway. Any clue what causes this?

Update: Even after creating the image shortcut, and running it, the lag persists.

Update: Even after creating the image shortcut, and running it, the lag persists.

o blech

I'm not sure what to recommend beyond looking the Guild War Guru tech help forums

www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/forumdisplay.php

• bgoslickbgoslick Member Posts: 1

Hey, you said you'd give prophecies and factions to one of us cause you just needed Nightfall, correct? Well, I have prophecies and I'd love to play with you if you'd give me factions so I'd be a little bit up to date, lol.  PM me.

Alright, the lag seems to have dissipated. I think I've figured out the problem: when Steam is running, it lags. Strange that only Guild Wars seems to hate Steam.

As for the Prophecies and Factions keys, I am afraid the Trilogy only gives you a single all-three game key. Sorry, man. :X

Alright, the lag seems to have dissipated. I think I've figured out the problem: when Steam is running, it lags. Strange that only Guild Wars seems to hate Steam.
    As for the Prophecies and Factions keys, I am afraid the Trilogy only gives you a single all-three game key. Sorry, man. :X

Glad to hear. Has the problem with the area loading stopped too?

No, it still happens. Every area load, the game disappears and shows the small Guild Wars box that shows up during launch and updating. It seems to take as much time as I remember normal loading did when I played it before, but it's still annoying to see my desktop every time I load an area.

That's really strange...I can't say I've ever heard that one before.

it sounds like you have a corrupted file

do this

delete or rename  gw.dat

repatch the game using the -image command option

This is going to be a while. I sure hope it works.

I had some file corruption issues once.  I ended up having to replace my hard drive.  Fortunately the computer was still under warranty, but that did fix the problem.

In my case, the issue was that a lot of things in the game were showing up as white boxes. 

Well, why would a corrupted file show itself as a minor issue like mine?

*crossing his fingers*