Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions to betatesters..me : )

13»

Comments

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Hey, I'd like to know If recalling will be in game, such as in UO. Thank you!

Oh, If this question was asked already, I apologize.

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

I'd like to know how well the enviornment works at hiding you.  Do you really cast longer shadows when the sun is setting behind you?  Does it become harder to see people at night, if so how much harder?  Have you ever spotted someone by the shine of their armor or gleam off their weapon that you don't think you would've spotted otherwise?  Also, how many AoE spells did you test/see others testing in the game?

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I havent seen any recalling so far, you need to travel back.

Night in DF..what can i say. I hate the nights. Because you cant see much. Someone can hide next to you and you wouldent know. Sneaking is very easy at night.  Shadows do grow when the sun is low.

I always sneak nighttime when im alone exploring dangerous areas. To bad i cant see the mobs attacking me : (

And you can stalk someone by day as well. I did just logout from DF now. And i found three red PKers. I couldent handle them alone, so i stalked them for about 20 minutes....and looted two of thier kills while they were busy fighting. I know its not an noble thing to do.....but i did it anyway.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by tcosaddict

I'd like to know how well the enviornment works at hiding you. 
    Some of the tree and rocks are big enough + bushes too.
    Do you really cast longer shadows when the sun is setting behind you? 
    Yes you do create really long shadows, which are ok so long as your in the shadow of the object  your hiding behind
    Does it become harder to see people at night, if so how much harder? 
    It does yes. Not too much but enough to have an effect.
    Have you ever spotted someone by the shine of their armor or gleam off their weapon that you don't think you would've spotted otherwise? 
    I have seen glints and go after them, it wont work from say 300m plus as you can't tell (with all options maxxed out) in my experience
    Also, how many AoE spells did you test/see others testing in the game?
    None as magic is a grind all to itself and costs a fortune to get up there, people just say in the safe zones and spam "mana missile" into the sky to gain exp. Sorry couldn't help here.

• Xris375Xris375 Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by oakthornn

You do have a bindstone recall command activated in beta. It's not much documented but I belive you will be able to make bindstone figurines that others can steal and use for their own purposes.

The recall command is very, very, very slow, so you need a good hidingspot to activate it. In beta it's easier to log on/off because now you automatically appare at your bindstone in beta :)

---
    And when we got more women on the team, it was like ‘No, no, no. We need puppies and horses in there.’ ”
    John Smedley, SOE

Hmm, do you know If there will be any form of teleporting, gating, recall stones, etc implemented at all in the future?  I've read on the FAQ that there will be magical means of traveling, which leads me to believe at least teleporting will be in game. This is very important to me because If there is nothing of the sort in game, then I won't train magic. 

Also, will there be illusionary and enchantment type spells, such as invisibility, levitate, charm, fear, etc? This will determine whether or not magic is even worth training for me. I may just go with archery as my range and healing magic,,, if there's even a healing magic archtype, or does that fall under the leser magic archtype?

Rallithon Oakthornn

Originally posted by Xris375

You do have a bindstone recall command activated in beta. It's not much documented but I belive you will be able to make bindstone figurines that others can steal and use for their own purposes.

The recall command is very, very, very slow, so you need a good hidingspot to activate it. In beta it's easier to log on/off because now you automatically appare at your bindstone in beta :)

So kinda sorta like "recall stones" as in Ultima Online?  I'd love to see them implement recall stones and allow us the freedom to travel wherever we want if you have magic trained high enough to recall. That would be awesome.

Rallithon Oakthornn

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by sn0wblind00

Originally posted by calibek

I got a couple questions

1. Is stealing skill in the game? I loved my thief in old UO. Was one of the best chars I had.
    2. How about necromancy magic? What is it like? I love necromancers but UO implemented it weak . Also is there any place available on the net or anyone give a list of spells for the magic skills?

1. stealing isn't in.

2. necro takes 75 skill in witchcraft to achieve..i.e. a lesser version.  In order to get witchcraft, you need 25 greater magic, which you need 50 lesser magic to achieve.  A guildie of mine had around 30 in witchcraft and it wasn't anything special.  The debuffs last 1 minute.  Just remember that you have to hit the target...making it less viable.

I did the opposite line of spell chanting.  Buffs also last 1 minute...the ones I tested.  The ones I tested also required you to be in melee range to land.  More group-oriented buffs as opposed to self-ones.

As of now, archery is much more efficient and powerful given the recast of half-decent spells.

That sucks...Thieving in UO was fun until it was ruined.

That made up my mind about the game.

• Xris375Xris375 Member Posts: 1,005

Originally posted by Xris375

So kinda sorta like "recall stones" as in Ultima Online?  I'd love to see them implement recall stones and allow us the freedom to travel wherever we want if you have magic trained high enough to recall. That would be awesome.

It is speculation but in short yes, it is technical possible and easy to implement at this time.

---
    And when we got more women on the team, it was like ‘No, no, no. We need puppies and horses in there.’ ”
    John Smedley, SOE

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300

To me not having stealing in this game is a deal breaker for me. I loved my thief in UO and to know I'm not going to have that same freedom here is kinda sad.

I'm am interested though to know what kind of other skills are in game? Is there treasure hunting? Fishing like in UO. The one thing I loved about UO was that everything you did (In the early on) was an adventure. Even mining was an adventure at times. I remember standing at the smithy repairing armor talking to my friends around the forge...great times.

I just want to know what other kinds of skills are in this game. I do like fighting don't get me wrong but if that is all this game is then I'm not sure it will fit me. I kind of wanted a virtual world to live in like UO use to be. Is this somewhat the same?

• harmonicaharmonica Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by calibek

To me not having stealing in this game is a deal breaker for me. I loved my thief in UO and to know I'm not going to have that same freedom here is kinda sad.
    I'm am interested though to know what kind of other skills are in game? Is there treasure hunting? Fishing like in UO. The one thing I loved about UO was that everything you did (In the early on) was an adventure. Even mining was an adventure at times. I remember standing at the smithy repairing armor talking to my friends around the forge...great times.
    I just want to know what other kinds of skills are in this game. I do like fighting don't get me wrong but if that is all this game is then I'm not sure it will fit me. I kind of wanted a virtual world to live in like UO use to be. Is this somewhat the same?

You can steal people's loot :

There are treasure chests and mobs that drop keys (some don't need keys). There is fishing like in UO. You mine/chop-trees like UO.

• greenblood82greenblood82 Member UncommonPosts: 29

What are the benefits of wearing light or cloth armor as opposed to heavy armor?

Is it a viable option to wear cloth armor when playing a mainly spellcasting type of character or are you better off wearing heavy armor?

And now about crafting: Is there only one skill you need to train when being an armorcrafter, or are there seperate skills for each armortype like light, medium and heavy armor?

• whistlinjoe2whistlinjoe2 Member Posts: 70

Have naval battles been activated?

Do ships have to built by players or do they 'spawn' at ports and just wait to be commandeered?

What was your experience using the siege weapons against fortifications?

I seem to recall there being some mention of vehicles.  Are these just really non-creature mount types? Or are they a type of seige weapon.

What is the main penalty for TK?  Can you be forgiven for an accidental TK or do you suffer some penalties for accidentally nuking your buddy?

Thanks for taking the time.

PS:  Daarco, do you know what movie your icon is from?

"Captain Wild Bill Kelso, United States Army Air Corps. Where the hell am I? "

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

To the poster above me, I read a comment earlier saying that a group of Mahirim managed to set up a ship and go for a moonlight sail, so unless that information was wrong then ships are implemented.  Also I've read that there are hundreds of islands and places to explore with them.  I don't know anything about the naval battles though.

I have a question, though.  Is there a downside to having your weapon equipped aside from not being able to loot/interact with NPCs?  I say this because I read that you are stuck in first person view unless you have a melee weapon out.  I'd prefer to be in 3rd person if I could, even if the camera isn't adjustable.   If I can keep out my weapon with no downside other than the f key usage, then that would make the game much better for me.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by tcosaddict

To the poster above me, I read a comment earlier saying that a group of Mahirim managed to set up a ship and go for a moonlight sail, so unless that information was wrong then ships are implemented.  Also I've read that there are hundreds of islands and places to explore with them.  I don't know anything about the naval battles though.

I have a question, though.  Is there a downside to having your weapon equipped aside from not being able to loot/interact with NPCs?  I say this because I read that you are stuck in first person view unless you have a melee weapon out.  I'd prefer to be in 3rd person if I could, even if the camera isn't adjustable.   If I can keep out my weapon with no downside other than the f key usage, then that would make the game much better for me.

Not that I can tell no, I don't believe you stamina decreases any faster than it would if you had no weapon out. The only downside is you are most probably going to be compelled to click a few times just to make some grunting noises, which does cost you stamina, but that can be avoided by taping your left mouse button down while your running around.

Seriously though, there are no downsides, plus you are ready to defend yourself in case someone starts to attack you.

EDIT: I am a beta-tester as well, and will help the OP answer the questions I know the answers to, I will also research those that I do not, and hopefully add some screenshots once the servers are up from scheduled maintenance.

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by whistlinjoe2

Do ships have to built by players or do they 'spawn' at ports and just wait to be commandeered?
    I seem to recall there being some mention of vehicles.  Are these just really non-creature mount types? Or are they a type of seige weapon.
    What is the main penalty for TK?  Can you be forgiven for an accidental TK or do you suffer some penalties for accidentally nuking your buddy?

Oooooh, oooh, over here!!!! *holds hand up*

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by whistlinjoe2

The main penalty for TK is an alignment decrease, which will eventually make you kill on sight in town if you kill enough of your "friends". I killed a few of my fellow Humans today because they had nice armor and were low health >.<, so now everyone hates me. I think the only way to remedy this is to kill some of the enemy faction.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Does the death penalty (being looted and such) sting or is new gear too easy to come by?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville