Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scriars - beta impressions

2»

Comments

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772
    Originally posted by Respit

Nice read.
    Especially refreshing since the term "carebear" or any of the other "labels" that are thrown never came up. I can't help but associate those labels as a sign of bias.  
    Yeah I admit I use that term sometimes as well, but I only use when talking to someone who can not accept that others have different tastes to them.
    Anyway, I'll throw out a couple things that I asked in another thread and didn't get answered.
    What are the hard/soft caps in the skills? (Is there even a soft cap?)
    I do not know the exact number for the soft cap, it seems to be pretty hard you can realistically be a jack of all trades, and if there is degeneration of any sort it is very slow. They did wipe the build a lot so it is not really surprising that there is little information on this. This is just hear say and impressions for this area I think we will have to wait for an official statement on this area.

How is the balance between combat skills at cap(s)?
    As mentioned above not many if any have actually capped to realistically be able to answer this. However assuming the same hold trues for the beggining and mid game, I feel that there are very little differences between differnet weapon skills a lot have the same abilities. Some weapons types do less damage but due to the design it does seem to have any pluses like daggers for instance. Short range, low damage, and fast speed, might as well go with a polearm high damage, decent speed, large range, and the newbie weapon is powerful.
    I think this is something we have to wait till the one month reviews start showing up before we can judge it.
    There is not any weapon individual disciplines in melee/archery?
    Disciplines? do you mean like being able to branch off into different specialities with a given tree?
    If so then as far as I know this is not something that has made it into the game.
    From what I have read so far, anyone can/will be a jack-of-all-trades, with no specialization in anything? In other words, given time, everyone will be self-sufficient.
    As mentioned above it is very possible, I believe it depends on how they have set up skill decay but atleast for begginer and mid gameplay you can be a jack of all trades. As mentioned I believe this is something we will have to wait a bit longer to find out about due to the lack of testing at end game in general.
    Can I go out and dig pit-traps on common cause-ways, and hide and watch people fall in them and impale themselves?
     You cant dig pits or traps, it was actually something people were suggesting in beta to have more trap based skills, but at moment there is nothing like this.
    That's all for now.
    Again, good read. Thanks

Thanks hope those answers were helpful, there may be a few testers that got a lot further in end game so can answer them much better than I can.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by Scriar

The Bad:
    The combat system is by far the worst I have seen in any game period at least when it comes to melee and complexity. It is nothing but click click click, press 1 or 2, click click click etc. Honestly even WoW is sadly more complex and challenging when it comes to combat than what I have seen in Darkfall.

Hi fellow beta tester.

Judgement above on overall PvP is your description of newbie PvP with the newbie characters PvP performance and have very little to do with endgame PvP.

What you should have done in this preview is to describe your skills, what have you learned?

2 spells?

Any meele/archery special attacks?

What is your attributes?

Our testers in clan that gone abit further with their characters informs me that PvP changes dramatically with higher skills, just as it should.

Especially teamfights.

Originally posted by Aragon100

The Bad:
    The combat system is by far the worst I have seen in any game period at least when it comes to melee and complexity. It is nothing but click click click, press 1 or 2, click click click etc. Honestly even WoW is sadly more complex and challenging when it comes to combat than what I have seen in Darkfall.

Hi fellow beta tester.

Judgement above on overall PvP is your description of newbie PvP with the newbie characters PvP performance and have very little to do with endgame PvP.

What you should have done in this preview is to describe your skills, what have you learned?

2 spells?

What is your attributes?

As mentioned it takes a while it seems to get any decent abilities the vast majority will be playing with very few skills at the start and possibly even into mid game. So far I have only gotton skills such as sieze which was useless, knockback which admittedly was quite fun ;p And thats it, I have not tested end game extensively I dont think many have. I believe I mentioned this in my subsequent posts, if it gets better later on that is nice.

But the problem is if the combat system starts off as a click fest and continues for a while, and I was playing for upwards of 6 hours a day for a week. Then it is going to turn off people.

I have not seen any special attacks for archery. As for melee see above.

Not sure what my attributes are, I unistalled the game the other day and had about 2 characters of every race to get a good feel for the game.

These are just my impressions, I wont call this a review as you cant possibly review an mmo after a week or two of playing. There is probably things I have missed but in that time this is what my impressions of my personal experience in game and what I have seen and heard others do/say has lead me to believe.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

The Bad:

Hi fellow beta tester.

2 spells?

What is your attributes?

As mentioned it takes a while it seems to get any decent abilities the vast majority will be playing with very few skills at the start and possibly even into mid game. So far I have only gotton skills such as sieze which was useless, knockback which admittedly was quite fun ;p And thats it, I have not tested end game extensively I dont think many have. I believe I mentioned this in my subsequent posts, if it gets better later on that is nice.

But the problem is if the combat system starts off as a click fest and continues for a while, and I was playing for upwards of 6 hours a day for a week. Then it is going to turn off people.

I have not seen any special attacks for archery. As for melee see above.

Not sure what my attributes are, I unistalled the game the other day and had about 2 characters of every race to get a good feel for the game.

These are just my impressions, I wont call this a review as you cant possibly review an mmo after a week or two of playing. There is probably things I have missed but in that time this is what my impressions of my personal experience in game and what I have seen and heard others do/say has lead me to believe.

My point was that your review is based on newbie characters PvP performance just like all the other previews you can read.

PvP on newbie characters is not endgame PvP, it's just .......newbie PvP.

PvP changes alot with more skills and spells.

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

Nice read.
    Especially refreshing since the term "carebear" or any of the other "labels" that are thrown never came up. I can't help but associate those labels as a sign of bias.  
    Yeah I admit I use that term sometimes as well, but I only use when talking to someone who can not accept that others have different tastes to them.
    Anyway, I'll throw out a couple things that I asked in another thread and didn't get answered.
    What are the hard/soft caps in the skills? (Is there even a soft cap?)
    I do not know the exact number for the soft cap, it seems to be pretty hard you can realistically be a jack of all trades, and if there is degeneration of any sort it is very slow. They did wipe the build a lot so it is not really surprising that there is little information on this. This is just hear say and impressions for this area I think we will have to wait for an official statement on this area.

How is the balance between combat skills at cap(s)?
    As mentioned above not many if any have actually capped to realistically be able to answer this. However assuming the same hold trues for the beggining and mid game, I feel that there are very little differences between differnet weapon skills a lot have the same abilities. Some weapons types do less damage but due to the design it does seem to have any pluses like daggers for instance. Short range, low damage, and fast speed, might as well go with a polearm high damage, decent speed, large range, and the newbie weapon is powerful.
    I think this is something we have to wait till the one month reviews start showing up before we can judge it.
    There is not any weapon individual disciplines in melee/archery?
    Disciplines? do you mean like being able to branch off into different specialities with a given tree?
    If so then as far as I know this is not something that has made it into the game.
    From what I have read so far, anyone can/will be a jack-of-all-trades, with no specialization in anything? In other words, given time, everyone will be self-sufficient.
    As mentioned above it is very possible, I believe it depends on how they have set up skill decay but atleast for begginer and mid gameplay you can be a jack of all trades. As mentioned I believe this is something we will have to wait a bit longer to find out about due to the lack of testing at end game in general.
    Can I go out and dig pit-traps on common cause-ways, and hide and watch people fall in them and impale themselves?
     You cant dig pits or traps, it was actually something people were suggesting in beta to have more trap based skills, but at moment there is nothing like this.
    That's all for now.
    Again, good read. Thanks

Thanks hope those answers were helpful, there may be a few testers that got a lot further in end game so can answer them much better than I can.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I could have asked the 3rd question like this: Do all weapon types, besides Archery, fall under the same skill/skill sets? Just a Generic "Melee 35/100".

I haven't noticed or seen, but I take it there arent any Archery weapons other than a bow.

Anyway, thanks again.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

My point was that your review is based on newbie characters PvP performance just like all the other previews you can read.

PvP on newbie characters is not endgame PvP, it's just .......newbie PvP.

PvP changes alot with more skills and spells.

I understand what your point is, the problem I see was I was playing for 2 weeks, 6 hours a day for the most part and in that time I experienced what I percieve as a terrible combat system that needs a lot of work. If it gets better later on, like I said that is great but the problem is why would people put themself through something they do not enjoy just because it may get better after a month or so of play?

edit: btw if you have experienced higher end PvP it may be worth doing a quick impressions so people get a balanced view of the game, quite a lot of people are willing to slug through content that may be tedious to them if the end game so to speak seems worth it.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I could have asked the 3rd question like this: Do all weapon types, besides Archery, fall under the same skill/skill sets? Just a Generic "Melee 35/100".

I haven't noticed or seen, but I take it there arent any Archery weapons other than a bow.

Anyway, thanks again.

Yeah they basically list them as the weapon type such as Polearm and a simple 1/100. Theres a old beta leak somewhere that shows all the spell lists and skills for the game, I am not sure if you are allowed to link it due to it being a beta leak site, but if you use google type in beta leaks you should be able to find it.

• AdigironAdigiron Member Posts: 83

very nice read, thanks for the review. and thanks more for answering that dudes questions!

am i the only one that wishes we could read one of these reviews that has something negative to say without reading replies involving 1 of 3 or 4 people trying to turn some negative points around to sound more positive or claiming the reviewer didn't test enough, blah blah?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Ahh almost forgot the patcher btw is terrible, I have a 100 megabyte connection speed and it took me 2 days to download this game I really hope they upgrade that system if they are going to stick mainly with digital distribution.

My reccomendation to people who needs to download the game is using a torrent, here is one....

I find it odd that more companies don't put out torrents themselves as an option for downloads, it is cheap and effective.

Originally posted by Loke666

Ahh almost forgot the patcher btw is terrible, I have a 100 megabyte connection speed and it took me 2 days to download this game I really hope they upgrade that system if they are going to stick mainly with digital distribution.

My reccomendation to people who needs to download the game is using a torrent, here is one....

I find it odd that more companies don't put out torrents themselves as an option for downloads, it is cheap and effective.

Recommend the same thing, when I think about it is probably not a huge issue it was beta so we were stuck with only that option.

I believe that this will be like WoW or other mmos ie everyone downloads off of file planet or another third party site due to the speeds of the official patcher.

Edit: Adigiron: Thanks yeah it is nice we are actually having a conversation in this thread and not just bashing each other lol

Edit2: I have just remebered something that needs addressing with the game. Those who turn off shadows have a significant advantage over those who have them turned on at night. It is much brighter, easier to see things in general with them off. You ofcourse have the advantage of FPS being much higher as well.

I am not sure they addressed it yet either, its one of the minor concerns but smooth mouse also cause the UI to lag, and makes the combat feel laggy. So it is a good idea to turn it off.

• slippyCslippyC Member Posts: 396

The Bad:

Hi fellow beta tester.

2 spells?

What is your attributes?

Our testers in clan that gone abit further with their characters informs me that PvP changes dramatically with higher skills, just as it should.

Especially teamfights.

Why don't you explain it to us then?

You aren't helping the conversation much by just saying it get's better cause these people said it.  Give us some facts Aragon of why it is this way.

I'm not trolling you at all, but you haven't given any counter-argument whatsoever of why it is different.  You just say these people said this. 

Please give some examples!!!

BTW, thanks OP for the beta review!!!