Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five races and counting! Which one(s) appeal most to you?

DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Of the 5 playable races which have been announced so far, which race appeals most to you?

Forest Elf (No description yet but speaks for itself, I reckon (EDIT: OMG AN NIPPUL!)

Half Orc ('race' of individualistic survivors; each half orc is an 'accidental' blend between human and orc and despised by both races. Half Orcs have formed small communities of those who managed to survive their often harsh youths.

Tindremene (a highly civilized race with much to be proud and haughty about, emperial)

Khurite (A tribal culture of steppe-dwelling horsemen/women)

Sidoian (Looks like a mix between Aztec and African cultures. Warrior prowess and ritualistic, perhaps. No description yet).

update: a sixth race has been announced: the Kallard. It seems those Swedish devs are unable to ignore their genetic heritage, hehe. Should appeal to Scotsmen as well; claymorish dagger, battle skirt, obvious lack of fear and the urge to make a lot of noise, the works. Some kind of highlander / viking / barbarian race it seems, judging from the artwork.

I can't add this new race to the poll. The results have become pretty much obsolete anyway.

All linked from the official races page.

Comments

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

I love their concept art, crazy detailed.  Based on the drawings (rarely are they close to concept in actual game) I would have to go with the Forest Elf.

I have a thing for scantily clad women that look like they could kick your ass.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by Locklain

I love their concept art, crazy detailed.  Based on the drawings (rarely are they close to concept in actual game) I would have to go with the Forest Elf.
    I have a thing for scantily clad women that look like they could kick your ass.

Same here! I always wanted to play one in an mmo. (Rather than the same old blue or purplish nighty dark elves). Though I have to admit that most of the others appeal a lot to me as well. The individualistic side of the half orcs sounds awesome as well. My guess is that this game will be big on roleplaying; each race has much going for it in that department.

• rejektrejekt Member Posts: 39
    Right now I'm looking to be a ranged class (by class I mean that archtype), so a Forest Elf using bows really sounds appealing to me right now.

<? while (!$i['care']) echo '...'; ?>

Originally posted by mcharj11

I always try and pick a race thats close to my own European/British bloodlines so it will be Tindremene for me.

British you say? Wouldn't those half orcs be a better match for you then? Rampaging across Europe every summer holiday, hooliganism, highlanders, etc ...  Sorry, just had to say that, hehe.

I am Dutch myself, feel free to punt it back if you can.

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

Just looking at the concept art, Tindremene looks like a Medieval Roman Empire. What could be better? They're my choice.

Although I'm not surprised with the poll results thus far. Sex sells, period.

Originally posted by Bruticus_XI

Sex sells, period.

Aye, and Legolasses as well. So forest elfs got two unique selling points right there.

• joeshmoejoeshmoe Member Posts: 84

The Tindremene race looks the most interesting to me. They remind me of the Roman Empire, which is cool. I'm also digging the Khurite, as they look like Mongols, and Mongols are cool, lol.

Originally posted by DarkPony

I always try and pick a race thats close to my own European/British bloodlines so it will be Tindremene for me.

British you say? Wouldn't those half orcs be a better match for you then? Rampaging across Europe every summer holiday, hooliganism, highlanders, etc ...  Sorry, just had to say that, hehe.

Hehe no offence taken but didn't the Dutch rampage in Europe at one point as Frisians lol?

Anyway although British people can be seen as brutal it is a misconception in a lot of ways, take us Scots and Highlanders, sure we have a thing for fighting but we invented some of the most important things to date. Back in medieval times Gaelic society was actually pretty advanced and more so that the Anglo-Saxon society.

But when i have to pick a race in game i always go for the European looking ones because thats what i am lol. Europe has a rich history of martial prowess, conquest, colonisation, techological advancement ect that i am proud of. Plus uropen looking character models look better than others lol.

The Tindremene have a Greek/Roman look with the Togas but then have a martial look of medieval northern Europe with the heavy plate armour and large sword.

Aye you are right about the frisians, if their culture had been a little less tribe / village centered and have some more structural organization during the early dark ages, Frisia would have been a seperate country right now.

They used to occasionaly raid what is now Noord Holland and the bastards killed two heirs of Holland during the subsequent penal expeditions into Frisian territory. (Same scenario again and again: Dutch army crosses the 'Zuiderzee', burns down the first Frisian village they see and perform the usual rape and pillaging, but gets decimated once all the Frisian villages around it get routed. One count of Holland actually happened to crash through the ice during a retreat on horseback and in heavy armor. The Frisians didn't exactly help him get out of the freezing water but they did shoot a few arrows for good measure).

The Gaelic culture was impressive indeed, to bad that the Roman empire wiped so much away. Or was it the vikings that did the Gaelics in? At least I know that the vikings got their inspiration from the frisian culture.

Anyway, we Western Europeans did our fair share of culture destroying as well, sadly.

Hehe no offence taken but didn't the Dutch rampage in Europe at one point as Frisians lol?

Anyway although British people can be seen as brutal it is a misconception in a lot of ways, take us Scots and Highlanders, sure we have a thing for fighting but we invented some of the most important things to date. Back in medieval times Gaelic society was actually pretty advanced and more so that the Anglo-Saxon society.

But when i have to pick a race in game i always go for the European looking ones because thats what i am lol. Europe has a rich history of martial prowess, conquest, colonisation, techological advancement ect that i am proud of. Plus uropen looking character models look better than others lol.

The Tindremene have a Greek/Roman look with the Togas but then have a martial look of medieval northern Europe with the heavy plate armour and large sword.

Aye you are right about the frisians, if their culture had been a little less tribe / village centered and have some more structural organization during the early dark ages, Frisia would have been a seperate country right now.

They used to occasionaly raid what is now Noord Holland and the bastards killed two heirs of Holland during the subsequent penal expeditions into Frisian territory. (Same scenario again and again: Dutch army crosses the 'Zuiderzee', burns down the first Frisian village they see and perform the usual rape and pillaging, but gets decimated once all the Frisian villages around it get routed. One count of Holland actually happened to crash through the ice during a retreat on horseback and in heavy armor. The Frisians didn't exactly help him get out of the freezing water but they did shoot a few arrows for good measure).

The Gaelic culture was impressive indeed, to bad that the Roman empire wiped so much away. Or was it the vikings that did the Gaelics in? At least I know that the vikings got their inspiration from the frisian culture.

Anyway, we Western Europeans did our fair share of culture destroying as well, sadly.

Nah the Gaelic culture remained the dominant culture until the Stewarts changed Scotland by force during the late 1400's and early 1500's, making Scotland and England more similar which lead to a Scottish KIng becoming the King of England also. It was at this time that the foundations of the union were laid. Although the actual union never took place until 1707.

The Romans had a larger impact on the English Celtic culture as they held all of England but were unable to conquer Scotland. They did have settlements in Scotalnd however, for instance the town i live in is called Forres but was originally Varis a Roman town. There is also a rare artefact of Pictish origin in the town, called Sueno's stone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sueno%27s_Stone, Forres was also the capital when the infamous MacBeth was King. So there is a lot of rich history in this small area, so when you look at the whole of Europe there is masses and masses of history.

The Viking's and Gaels fought but were friendly just as much towards each other out of all British nations Scots intermarried the most with Vikings, the Norwegians had a lot of land in Ireland,west Scotland, and northern isles. The Gaels and Vikings allied and fought against the Anglo Saxons without much luck though. 

I don't know if we did a lot of culture destroying, well yes if we talk about what we did to native americans ect but in places like Africa there wasn't proper anything, the British always built up the places it conquered and when we left it all got ruined. A lot of places in Africa would be miles better off today if the British Empire hadn't been dismantled.

That is some rich history right there. I love how those old cultures left their marks across the Britain, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Holland was always too much of a soggy country without any mentionable bedrock so the remains from the first millenium and earlier are very, very sparse. Not that we have so very much to be proud about from those times ...

I am not sure how the world would look like without the British Empire and colonization in general. The mere contact with western cultures, the concept of money, gambling, alcohol and our European diseases didn't bring much good in Africa, the America's and Australia. That is for sure. Add slavery and I think it is a bold claim to say that they were better off with us. Many tribes and cultures have just vanished from the face of the earth ... It was inevitable in a way, perhaps. If theirs had been the dominant, seafaring culture at the time it would have been the other way around, probably. Inevitable, just as their struggles for independence in the past centuries and our subsequential realization that everyone should be treated fair and equal.

• dakota123dakota123 Member Posts: 93

well, we own horses, so i have alwys been a fan of horseback riders, as well as mongols in general, Khurite is great with me, i love the "survival" element and look they have to them, as well as I cant wait to be in a horde of them, and start the second mngol invasion.

• mutombo55mutombo55 Member Posts: 151

Concept Art looks pretty cool.

But seems like that poor Sidoian dude has a headache. Maybe he has the job of bug fixing Darkfall.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by mutombo55
    Concept Art looks pretty cool.
    But seems like that poor Sidoian dude has a headache. Maybe he has the job of bug fixing Darkfall.

He's only doing a /facepalm emote, right after seeing a troll image

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

This ^ is what my first impression was, hehe.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Sweet, I laughed so hard ^_^

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• fortuentefortuente Member Posts: 66

Sex sells, period.

Aye, and Legolasses as well. So forest elfs got two unique selling points right there.

And two fine selling points, indeed. Oh wait, you mean sex and Legolas sell. I thought you meant that forest elf's pointy nipples sell. They sure sold me, lol.

Isn't the great thing about gaming? It's like I'm a teenager who has never seen nipples again ... rather than an old man who will probably never get to see non-saggy nipples again. Sigh. Being old sucks. At least I have scantily-clad elves to look at.

Originally posted by fortuente

Sex sells, period.

And two fine selling points, indeed. Oh wait, you mean sex and Legolas sell. I thought you meant that forest elf's pointy nipples sell. They sure sold me, lol.

Isn't the great thing about gaming? It's like I'm a teenager who has never seen nipples again ... rather than an old man who will probably never get to see non-saggy nipples again. Sigh. Being old sucks. At least I have scantily-clad elves to look at.

*carefully pats Fortuente's back*

Bless us we are men, mate. Even when we get old we still have some appeal to women. George Clooney wasn't exactly young when he got voted 'man of the year'. And what about Hugh Heffner? Some females are very much attrected to seniority I suppose. Yeah, you could say; "and money!"  but there are plenty of rich younger men as well so that only rings true to a certain degree. Older women have it much harder in that regard.

• fortuentefortuente Member Posts: 66

Sex sells, period.

*carefully pats Fortuente's back*

Bless us we are men, mate. Even when we get old we still have some appeal to women. George Clooney wasn't exactly young when he got voted 'man of the year'. And what about Hugh Heffner? Some females are very much attrected to seniority I suppose. Yeah, you could say; "and money!"  but there are plenty of rich younger men as well so that only rings true to a certain degree. Older women have it much harder in that regard.

I have experienced enough of life to know ... well, let's just say I am not too short on confidence where male-female interactions are concerned. Even now that I have gained 40 pounds and spend most of my time sitting in front of a computer I am just delusional enough about my attractiveness that I don't worry it  ...

However, I am currently all but married and we have a kid. So, elf boobies are all I have right now for variety, lol. Whatever you do - DO NOT GET MARRIED AND PROCREATE. Although, it is better than prison - just a bit. At least I can leave the house and while I may get butt-reamed occasionally, I don't get butt-raped.

I have experienced enough of life to know ... well, let's just say I am not too short on confidence where male-female interactions are concerned. Even now that I have gained 40 pounds and spend most of my time sitting in front of a computer I am just delusional enough about my attractiveness that I don't worry it  ...
    However, I am currently all but married and we have a kid. So, elf boobies are all I have right now for variety, lol. Whatever you do - DO NOT GET MARRIED AND PROCREATE. Although, it is better than prison - just a bit. At least I can leave the house and while I may get butt-reamed occasionally, I don't get butt-raped.

Wow, you're open and honest, mate. Having some issues on the waist line myself since the last few years, but no kids here, luckily (poor world is strained by the human plague as it is).  Ah well, I could always go and work out .... if someone made me :P

Anyways, I'll do my best to take your advice to heart.

/Hat off to you, sir.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Half-Orc or Kallard is what I am interested in atm.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• ThaBadManThaBadMan Member UncommonPosts: 23

I voted Khurite, but I am gonna play as the Kallards

Must play as my ancestors the viking u now

A wise man does not fear, a man afraid does not think.

Two little goblins out in the sun, down came a griffin.
    Then there was one.

• SpeiberbobSpeiberbob Member Posts: 233

omg ^^ , real good artwork, the elf is yummi and i hope those artist will influence the game and the way the world looks big time.

AC2,AO,D&L,Lotro,VsoH,SWG,Uo,HGL,Drunners,CoH,GW,Potbs,PWI
    Eq2,Dofus,WoW,WWIIO,Ryzom,Planetside,EvE,TR,DDO,RFonline,FOM,VC,..etc blabla
    also hobbies....staring at loadingbars

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Forest Elf. No, not because of "lol boobz" but because the only other race that clicks with me is Khurite, and from the concept art it just doesn't seem like they would be the type to be exactly huge on magic instinct and lore.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

After 76 votes it seems Forest Elfs are second to none in initial popularity. There will be an awefull amount of pew pewing pointy ears abouts, I reckon. Too bad I couldn't add Kallards in the original poll, they could be a good second; the rough warrior appeal to them will make it quite popular as well if you compare them with similar races in other games.

Personally I can't say that I intensly dislike one or more of the races at the first glance. Something I did experience in loads of other games and that is a very good thing, I guess. And even though some races might be more popular, the open skill system of the game guarantees diversity within each race. Hopefully that will diminish the chance on cookie cutter race/(class)/skill combo's.

• shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199

why so little love for Sidoians? is it because they're.... this color?