Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devs, we need third person view.

RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

I read that in MO, you always play in first person view. Its only when you are mounted that you play in third person view. Anyway, this game is a mmorpg and we will play with the same character for more then a month or more then a year. I also create my character and all. Why MO devs dont want to add manual togglelable third person view for melee and range? Its a mmorpg. Not battle field. I want to feel like im playing an mmorpg, i never played an mmorpg in fps all the way and i will never start to do it, so i hope MO will think about their decision again about lock view on fps only

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

When first person view first came out for single player RPG's it was considered revolutionary and I had a lot of fun with games in the Might and Magic, Wizardry, Bard's tale other similar games.

3rd person view prevailed over the years, and now I think developers are experimenting once again with the first person view as it adds more of a surprise to the combat.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rejektrejekt Member Posts: 39

Stop fearing change, look forward to something new. MO's gameplay is setup to thrive on the first person perspective. If it doesn't fit your liking after trying it, there lots of other games that offer third person perspective that are playable.

<? while (!$i['care']) echo '...'; ?>

• WrithWrith Member Posts: 85

First person is also a good answer to getting rid of rogue magical stealth. All genres of games change and even have those that move outside the box more so then others. It is something everyone should learn to understand and/or simply have to except. If first person is that bad to you, you may want to consider Darkfall, which has 3rd person for combat mode. Progress will never be made if every game does the exact same thing.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I'm 100% on board with the decision to go first person view only. I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, OP, but mounted view will be first person view only as well. In my opinion having only this view will create a more challenging play environment. I like that if you want to be aware of what's around you you have to put yourself out there and risk attack, as opposed to just zooming out. It puts a premium on situational awareness, whether in PvE or PvP.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• cakelizardcakelizard Member UncommonPosts: 63

this game is being designed for FPV.  the reason you dont really play games like WoW or any of the others is they just arnt made for FPV. this game should handle well, make you feel more engaged.  if you got steam or any orange box game i recommend checkin out PVK2 or Age of Chivalry, should give you a good idea on what its like to have a decent first person experience.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

The only problem I see with a FPV is it's so limiting inregards to mmo's. There is just not much a Dev can add to FPV when it comes to combat.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by stayontarget
    The only problem I see with a FPV is it's so limiting inregards to mmo's. There is just not much a Dev can add to FPV when it comes to combat.

Combat has everywhere the same goal: kill opponent.
    But possible ways of doing it, animations, sounds, and immersions accompanying all actions determines the success.
    TPV limits ... it kills all immersions in games.

You see a problem, I don't see any.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

dont play the game if you dont want it to be first person, and they are working on making even mounted combat and riding first person also, so there will be no 3rd person in the game at all.

• ProminentProminent Member Posts: 51

First player View is why this game interest me. All other MMO on the market have allready 3pv. 1pv makes combat and exploring much more interesting, when you cant look behind you and around corner, etc ... that is called cheating. ;-) 

I have never heard anyone companied that Counterstrike should be in 3pv.  Why not try out 1pv in MO before you critizise it.

• SpyteSpyte Member Posts: 5

I've always loved FPV in games like Morrowind and Oblivion.  Mortal Online reminds me of those, but with other people there as well.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I would much rather see:

Melee: limited TPV (no free roaming camera)

Archery:  FPV

Magic: FPV

Normal Movement: FPV / limited TPV (no free roaming camera)

FPV vs. TPV is mostly a choice of preference for the user when it comes to immersion.  However, the TPV is a more natural perspective than FPV.   FPV works great for both archery and magic because, which require more concentration for the precise action of aiming.  Its has a more natural feeling of focus like when you aim a rifle or throw a ball to another player. 

TPV works a bit better with melee and general movement,  since people tend to focus more on objects, and not on single points.  i.e. If you were combating a non moving object players would aim for the head with sword, but with a bow you tend to aim right between the eyes (a point). 

• Maverick123wMaverick123w Member Posts: 115

FPV is one of the big reasons why I like this game.

• mjones1052mjones1052 Member Posts: 221

You say you want to feel like your playing the game...

yet how does it feel like your actually playing when your looking at your character from a huge camera thats following him?  Wouldn't it make sense that immersion and reality wise your seeing everything from your characters eyes?

WoW has TPV there ya go!

and NO dev's we dont need TPV....

• Irish69Irish69 Member Posts: 14

Well, what about a function that alows you to look at your pretty armor? Maybe feature that kinda zooms around your charactor in game. Somthing non-charactor screen window and less pre-login.

BLAH****

• ProminentProminent Member Posts: 51

You will be able to see you armor. You have your paperdoll that you can turn.You can also let a friend take a screenshot for you. But you wont be able to use a camera to see beind corners and behind you.

Meh, was looking for more of a gallery mod, non combat of course. But how are you suppose to get a group shot if your not in it. You would have to find some guy to take your guild/friends picture(with you in it of course) then mail it to you.  I don't want to be"that guy" =P,

BLAH****

• L1ghtsabeRL1ghtsabeR Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by Irish69

Meh, was looking for more of a gallery mod, non combat of course. But how are you suppose to get a group shot if your not in it. You would have to find some guy to take your guild/friends picture(with you in it of course) then mail it to you.  I don't want to be"that guy" =P,

Oh come on. Your argument against FPV is that you don't want to be the guy taking the picture? You saying that your guild won't have any friends who could take your guild picture so that everyone gets to pose in it? You saying that nobody in your guild will have a 2nd active account?

Those are all MINOR inconveniences. Adding TPV into the game simply because of the vanity of some people is silly to say the least.

As others who know about the game have said before me, TPV will never make it into MO. You can forget about it, you don't need to bother asking about it. Just pick a different game if you can't deal with FPV.

It's a game design decision and one of the main selling points of MO. Asking them to add TPV is like asking them to add instances, safe zones and partial loot.

Dude chill out you dont need to bite my frican head off. Im not even argueing against the fact that its FPV anyway. Im just asking for an option to take a beter look at my character without a paper doll substitute.

Maybe i can inter this view through a npc, or maybe in a non-combat situation? Who know's, someone can come up with a good way to insert it. oohohohoh maybe a camera mode, where you cannot attack another so there is no unfair pvp advantage?

Will it affect the way i play the game or not? No, your correct its a selling point. MMO's are 50% or more aesthetic anyway. I'm not asking for a major game change, or a real palyable TPV. Way to over-react.

It's a Suggestion.

BLAH****

• L1ghtsabeRL1ghtsabeR Member Posts: 102

Dude chill out you dont need to bite my frican head off. Im not even argueing against the fact that its FPV anyway. Im just asking for an option to take a beter look at my character without a paper doll substitute.
    Maybe i can inter this view through a npc, or maybe in a non-combat situation? Who know's, someone can come up with a good way to insert it. oohohohoh maybe a camera mode, where you cannot attack another so there is no unfair pvp advantage?
    Will it affect the way i play the game or not? No, your correct its a selling point. MMO's are 50% or more aesthetic anyway. I'm not asking for a major game change, or a real palyable TPV. Way to over-react.

It's a Suggestion.

I was not trying to bite your head off and I don't understand why you think I overreacted. I merely pointed out the flaws I saw in your post and gave my reasons to why I thought they were an insufficient reason to change a core gameplay feature.

And no, even a TPV view where you can't move your character is not an option. There are various ways people could exploit that (peeking around corners, looking over fences and walls, getting a wider field of view ect ect). Yes, of course, the devs could technically implement it and work out mechanics to counter all the game breaking issues it would bring along with it, but it's simply not worth their time.

They're developing a FPV game and that's that.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

I read that in MO, you always play in first person view. Its only when you are mounted that you play in third person view. Anyway, this game is a mmorpg and we will play with the same character for more then a month or more then a year. I also create my character and all. Why MO devs dont want to add manual togglelable third person view for melee and range? Its a mmorpg. Not battle field. I want to feel like im playing an mmorpg, i never played an mmorpg in fps all the way and i will never start to do it, so i hope MO will think about their decision again about lock view on fps only

No YOU need a third person view because you are very close minded and cannot adapt to something a bit different. Your post says "I have only played mmos with a third person viewpoint and because I lack any form of imagination my brain cannot handle the concept of playing a game that might be different. Therefore I will refuse to try any game that tries to do something new".

Yeah well thats great for you. Hopefully the devs will make Mortal Online how THEY want to make it. Lets keep our fingers crossed that they dont pay too much attention to silly posts like this one.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by neonwire
    Hopefully the devs will make Mortal Online how THEY want to make it. Lets keep our fingers crossed that they dont pay too much attention to silly posts like this one.
    They ARE already developing the game, in the way they want ;)
    Not even slight chances for tpv at all in normal gameplay.
    You don't have to worry about view modes anymore.

MO goes back to oldshool fpv rpg's from atari and amiga ;)

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• mjones1052mjones1052 Member Posts: 221

It's a Suggestion.

I just have to ask.....

You say you want to see your character and what your wearing and all that, yes?  But you say you don't want a paperdoll?  WTF is the difference between a paperdoll and having a free motion camera to move around your character like your talking about?  I really don't see the difference and I think that a paperdoll screen is more than enough to satisfy anyones curiosities about how their character looks.  This is probably one of the most useless waste of kb's I have ever seen, not to mention the ridiculous reasons as to why we need TPV instead of FPV....

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I love the added realism of 1st person combat but ....

I do want to glare at that sexy bum of my female wood elf now and then!

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

MMORPG's should have a third person view. This is not a stupid FPS game! Why are devs trying to mix fps with mmo's?!!??! Each one they made for the whinny fps fanbois have come back to bite them on the arse..

MO is only going to appeal to fps fans, thats it. True MMORPG vets like myself who has started with UO and EQ will NEVER even think of playing a 1st person MMORPG. Its dumb. I like seeing what my character is doing. The only time I ever use 1st person mode is when exploring a new dungeon, new boss monster, or while taking screenshots. This usually lasts a few moments before I switch back to 3rd person.

Personally, If the devs don't add a 3rd person view option, then that would be incredibly lame and they'l lose out on tens of thousands of dollars.. Not smart in my opinion for something that literally takes a day to implement. *shrug*

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291
    Originally posted by oakthornn

MMORPG's should have a third person view. This is not a stupid FPS game! Why are devs trying to mix fps with mmo's?!!??! Each one they made for the whinny fps fanbois have come back to bite them on the arse..
    MO is only going to appeal to fps fans, thats it. True MMORPG vets like myself who has started with UO and EQ will NEVER even think of playing a 1st person MMORPG. Its dumb. I like seeing what my character is doing. The only time I ever use 1st person mode is when exploring a new dungeon, new boss monster, or while taking screenshots. This usually lasts a few moments before I switch back to 3rd person.
    Personally, If the devs don't add a 3rd person view option, then that would be incredibly lame and they'l lose out on tens of thousands of dollars.. Not smart in my opinion for something that literally takes a day to implement. *shrug*

Not every game has to follow the WoW/EQ/Clones structure. 

If you personally dont like the idea of 1st person, that is fine of course, but there are plenty of people who like the idea, a lot actually. So to say that they are dumb if they dont do a 3rd person option is just a little ridiculous.

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos