Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To the health nuts out there, juice drink question

ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

So, basically in the last several months I have changed around my eating diet and cut back on what I have been eating. I didn't care much about what I drank, usually just coffee, milk, water and a can of dew 2 or 3 times a week.

My doc basically gave me a list of the healthiest juices but warned to not buy any that are from concentrate, he said to get pure 100% juices. I figured hell, how hard can this be?. Went to wal-mart, EVERY... STINKIN... DRINK... is from concentrate and loaded with sugar. I tried 2 other stores, same thing. I may as well be drinking soda.

My question is this, I am trying to find natural cranberry, orange, cran-pom combinations and really good tea and I can't seem to find the real non-concentrate versions. Anyone know where to get some?

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Have you considered getting a juicer and just juicing the fruits and veggies you want right there and then on the spot?  If you end up consuming lots of fruits and veggies you could always buy them in bulk and I figure this migth be lighter on your walet as well since I think pure 100% juices would be expensive.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• frodusfrodus Member Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by Chiram

So, basically in the last several months I have changed around my eating diet and cut back on what I have been eating. I didn't care much about what I drank, usually just coffee, milk, water and a can of dew 2 or 3 times a week.

My doc basically gave me a list of the healthiest juices but warned to not buy any that are from concentrate, he said to get pure 100% juices. I figured hell, how hard can this be?. Went to wal-mart, EVERY... STINKIN... DRINK... is from concentrate and loaded with sugar. I tried 2 other stores, same thing. I may as well be drinking soda.

My question is this, I am trying to find natural cranberry, orange, cran-pom combinations and really good tea and I can't seem to find the real non-concentrate versions. Anyone know where to get some?

Forget about walmart...try a local health foods store, and hear is some vary good juice.

http://www.pomwonderful.com/products.html

say away from bleached products...white bread,white rice,stuff like that.

Trade in material assumptions for spiritual facts and make permanent progress.

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

Awesome, thanks for the heads up on that. I have thought about a juicer, but I also spend tons of time at work and I have noticed things from the juicer don't taste as good when I leave it set in the fridge at work :). I will have to try out some of that POM stuff, sadly the closest store that holds it is 45 miles lol.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

yeah, i would suggest buying a blender. Most pure juices (for the exception of orange) is expensive as hell.  You can buy the fruits for the fraction of the price and make your own....you just need to put down that 50 dollar investment in a juicer tho

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

I completely agree with Frodus. And I'd also recommend both the Simply Orange/Grapfruit (http://www.simplyorangejuice.com/) and the Naked (http://www.nakedjuice.com/) line of fresh juices. You should be able to find both in the health/natural foods section of your super market, if not, try the local natural food store.

And buying a juicer is a great option if you come to drink juice a whole ton.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by Enigma

yeah, i would suggest buying a blender. Most pure juices (for the exception of orange) is expensive as hell.  You can buy the fruits for the fraction of the price and make your own....you just need to put down that 50 dollar investment in a juicer tho

This...and if you are in a hurry, Trader Joe's might have some stuff for you.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• frodusfrodus Member Posts: 2,396

Awesome, thanks for the heads up on that. I have thought about a juicer, but I also spend tons of time at work and I have noticed things from the juicer don't taste as good when I leave it set in the fridge at work :). I will have to try out some of that POM stuff, sadly the closest store that holds it is 45 miles lol.

Just order it on line,and grats on on your change of diet.You will find that your attitude will change with a proper diet.And it has 2 fold effect,your inadvertently supporting local grower's of  foods,Brown eggs or free range.no hormone meats,grain feed farm fresh catfish...yummm.Do your research and it Will pay off big time.And if your on a well water...use  5 micron filter,bottled water is a big no no.plastic leaches into the water,with the change of temperature,well water is the best.If it comes in a  wrapped package don't stick it in your mouth.period.And never microwave foods in Styrofoam it to leaches toxins in the foods,or plastic same effect.Over time they build up in the body,and they cause much havoc on the system.

Trade in material assumptions for spiritual facts and make permanent progress.

• bojinxbojinx Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Draenor

I LOVE  Trader Joe's I really should do all my shopping there. I  like the fact that I can pronounce all of the ingredients in whatever I am buying.

To the OP if you get a juicer you could add broccoli, carrots, celery, etc. it may sound gross but once you add in a few peices of fruit you can't taste the vegetables at all.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

The healthiest drink is easy to find, it's available in most stores. It's usually sold in blue-ish bottles.

It's..

wait for it

water.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Ditto the Simply Orange.  It's what I get.  They also make lemonade and limeade.  Is so good.

Another fast & simple recommendation is to buy packs of frozen fruit.  They can be mixed fruit or not, that's entirely up to you.  Toss some into a blender for 2 or 3 minutes along with a liquid of your choice (I use soy, but you have to drink that in moderation).  You can even toss in a few ice cubes.

The result is a super tasty, healthy drink that's easy and fast to make. It's not juice, specifically, but it's the next best thing.

If you eventually get serious about the gym (~5 days per week) then you can also pick up some whey.  It's expensive at about $60, but the container is quite large and it lasts forever.  I toss a scoop of this into the aforementioned smoothie as my post work out drink.  I do not recommend their so-called "double rich chocolate", but that's a personal preference...

Yes, and drink plenty of water, but I don't recommend it for smoothies.

• DulainDulain Member UncommonPosts: 616

All the grocery stores in my area carry POM products. They are usually in the Produce section though and not where you would find the other juice drinks.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Draenor

This is the one.

The best bet.

The easier method.

Coming from a former health nut (no longer, #%#@ granolo) I used trader joes like a junkie uses a needle (or pipe, if they are into that sort of thing).

That and a juicer will do wonders. The key to juicing is to strain the pulpiness for a day, aftwards it should be like juice and not "juice+parts". Alot of people just juice and pour. (ew).

Anyhow Trader joes has a great selection of juiciness.

Edit: Water doesn't carry vitamins really, a few minerals here and there but nothing nutrient like.

That is why juice is favorable to just standard water. And it's not blue, thats nehi you are looking at. 

Which isn't healthy, but DAMN IS IT GOOD.