Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New web site update

DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

New update on the official website including information about guild halls

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

I'm realy excited about Guild Halls, the ability to design your own guild hall sounds awesome.

• skipethskipeth Member Posts: 66

I'm glad there is a lot of work going into ensuring skills are different.  When Horizons first came out, it was class based, but you could freely move between classes and pick up an assortment of skills/abilities.  Unfortunately, there was sufficient overlap of skills that made the whole system a bit blah and they had to re-write it.

"...testing phases planned later this year."  sweet!! BETA

Guilds/villages/keeps sounds like it's moving in a great direction.  I thought that instancing every guild from the same door in town kinda weak, but this sounds great.

Keep up the great work!!

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by skipeth

Guilds/villages/keeps sounds like it's moving in a great direction.  I thought that instancing every guild from the same door in town kinda weak, but this sounds great.
    Keep up the great work!!

Alpha actually ;)

Lots of games get confused with beta and alpha.  A "beta" game should be feature complete, as taken from Wikipedia:

Beta level software generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety.

The word "beta" has been used incorrectly for MMO testing because all of these beta MMOs are no where near feature complete.  They're more like an alpha or pre-alpha testing phase where there are still major features missing.

As far as the instanced guild thing... that's no different than EQ2 or other games that have instanced player housing.  The problem with player and guild housing is real estate.  You only have so much physical space and you can't possibly fit everyone into it.  You also don't want to leave anyone out when space runs out.

That leaves you with heavy instancing or specific places in the world where you can build.  Each fixes a problem while causing others.  For example it doesn't make sense that two people who enter the same house have different houses.  In the case of "world specific spots," that you can only build a specific building on a specific piece of land.  No matter which way a game chooses they're either going to have to instance the guild housing or deny people housing when space runs out.

I think the idea of allowing guilds to build out in the world is a much better idea and gives more control than most MMOs that allow guild/player housing.  I think the size of the world means plenty of space to build the size of guild you want.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by Dakirn

Originally posted by skipeth

Keep up the great work!!

Alpha actually ;)

Lots of games get confused with beta and alpha.  A "beta" game should be feature complete, as taken from Wikipedia:

Beta level software generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety.

The word "beta" has been used incorrectly for MMO testing because all of these beta MMOs are no where near feature complete.  They're more like an alpha or pre-alpha testing phase where there are still major features missing.

As far as the instanced guild thing... that's no different than EQ2 or other games that have instanced player housing.  The problem with player and guild housing is real estate.  You only have so much physical space and you can't possibly fit everyone into it.  You also don't want to leave anyone out when space runs out.

That leaves you with heavy instancing or specific places in the world where you can build.  Each fixes a problem while causing others.  For example it doesn't make sense that two people who enter the same house have different houses.  In the case of "world specific spots," that you can only build a specific building on a specific piece of land.  No matter which way a game chooses they're either going to have to instance the guild housing or deny people housing when space runs out.

I think the idea of allowing guilds to build out in the world is a much better idea and gives more control than most MMOs that allow guild/player housing.  I think the size of the world means plenty of space to build the size of guild you want.

Very well put Dakirn.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having instanced housing.  I remember in Vanguard how houses would be in the middle of nowhere.  I mean, sure, they're uninstanced, but who really sees them?  In my time during Vanguard I only saw a few houses; each of which were designated for a certain plot of land.  They may as well have been instanced.

And yeah, it probably is the alpha testing phase, but you got me excited for a minute there skipeth.