Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Analysis of Stephanie Morrow's Official "Re-Review" of Vanguard

2»

Comments

• JenakaJenaka Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Originally posted by Farandir

Someone please give Broomy a tissue...

^ typical response, this is why many dislike the community you represent.  You and the rest like you, elitist snobs, will keep Vanguard down as a mmorpg. Good job kid.

I've seen pissy attitudes in Vanguard as well as every MMO I've played. Even LOTRO, which has an excellent community, has bad apples. And many people like to complain about the WOW community, but I knew many wonderful people while playing that game. While playing Vanguard I've seen dozens of nice, helpful replies to questions for every snotty one.

Personally, I think it's snobbery to denigrate the entire player base of a game because of a few jerks.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Jenaka

^ typical response, this is why many dislike the community you represent.  You and the rest like you, elitist snobs, will keep Vanguard down as a mmorpg. Good job kid.

I've seen pissy attitudes in Vanguard as well as every MMO I've played. Even LOTRO, which has an excellent community, has bad apples. And many people like to complain about the WOW community, but I knew many wonderful people while playing that game. While playing Vanguard I've seen dozens of nice, helpful replies to questions for every snotty one.

Personally, I think it's snobbery to denigrate the entire player base of a game because of a few jerks.

If WoW has a few bad apples, you can get away with it since it has upwards of 11 million subscribers. Vanguard does not. In fact its lucky to have less than 1% of that. If that less than 1% has quite a few bad apples, then unfortunately, it ruins the whole batch. Theres no excuse. Its not "snobbery" as you put it to state a simple fact. The community is holding the game back, as a whole its keeping the game from being anything over that less than 1%.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

If WoW has a few bad apples, you can get away with it since it has upwards of 11 million subscribers. Vanguard does not. In fact its lucky to have less than 1% of that. If that less than 1% has quite a few bad apples, then unfortunately, it ruins the whole batch. Theres no excuse. Its not "snobbery" as you put it to state a simple fact. The community is holding the game back, as a whole its keeping the game from being anything over that less than 1%.

From where I sit your the ones Bringing all the attitude to the fourms... Pot Meet kettel.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

From where I sit your the ones Bringing all the attitude to the fourms... Pot Meet kettel.

Kinda hard qualifying as having a bad attitude if you want the game to succeed, bring up the current situation in regards to VG and why its not having any success, and have people confirm the problem. The problem is a community whos most vocal members drive people away. Im sorry if that seems like the people being driven away are the ones with the bad attitudes, but if you really see it that way, then what you have is a club house with a sign outside that says "no X allowed". You will always keep VG on the level of a club house, and not let it grow to be a disney land. It will continue to be small because the community is quick to lable a player and then drive them off. Fact: The game and its HUGE world is not designed to be small.

Since launch I have seen more "gtfo of MY game" and "go play WoW" resonses than in any other game...combined. You would be blind to not see the problem you are facing. These facts speak for themselves, if VG is so good, then why doesn it have such a pathetic ammount of subs? Why are people not STAYING when they are given free months to try the game or come back to it? If you think its anything other than the community, then well mr 30 year old, you are living in a state of denial.

• FarandirFarandir Member UncommonPosts: 111

Kinda hard qualifying as having a bad attitude if you want the game to succeed, bring up the current situation in regards to VG and why its not having any success, and have people confirm the problem. The problem is a community whos most vocal members drive people away. Im sorry if that seems like the people being driven away are the ones with the bad attitudes, but if you really see it that way, then what you have is a club house with a sign outside that says "no X allowed". You will always keep VG on the level of a club house, and not let it grow to be a disney land. It will continue to be small because the community is quick to lable a player and then drive them off. Fact: The game and its HUGE world is not designed to be small.

Since launch I have seen more "gtfo of MY game" and "go play WoW" resonses than in any other game...combined. You would be blind to not see the problem you are facing. These facts speak for themselves, if VG is so good, then why doesn it have such a pathetic ammount of subs? Why are people not STAYING when they are given free months to try the game or come back to it? If you think its anything other than the community, then well mr 30 year old, you are living in a state of denial.

Not to be an arse or anything, but I'm starting to feel sorry for you. These last couple of days you've been saying the same phrase over and over again "VG community bad, they don't pvp, they don't want pvp, VG community bad, VG community bad, VG community dumb", you are sounding like a broken record. I'm sorry, but you can be a bad community all to yourself. /facepalm.

I'm a bit curious though, how(in what way) exactly did you talk to "the VG community", did you ask them polite questions, or did you rudely bash the game due to lack of PvP content? If the first one, can you please post some screenies for the rest of us to see how bad the VG community really is? I for one wouldn't wanna play a game where the community is freezing me out or tells me to go play another game with lots of PvP content, just because i'm cute and ask nice little questions.

Not to be an arse or anything, but I'm starting to feel sorry for you. These last couple of days you've been saying the same phrase over and over again "VG community bad, they don't pvp, they don't want pvp, VG community bad, VG community bad, VG community dumb", you are sounding like a broken record. I'm sorry, but you can be a bad community all to yourself. /facepalm.

I'm a bit curious though, how(in what way) exactly did you talk to "the VG community", did you ask them polite questions, or did you rudely bash the game due to lack of PvP content? If the first one, can you please post some screenies for the rest of us to see how bad the VG community really is? I for one wouldn't wanna play a game where the community is freezing me out or tells me to go play another game with lots of PvP content, just because i'm cute and ask nice little questions.

Im sure the same way he speeks here. Rude Over the top and a Pompus A**.

Pvp has been stated OVER AND OVER again By the Devs that ITS NOT A PRIORATY!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to play on the pvp server then Coo. Dont act like this is any big shock tho that you arnt getting ANY dev love... Jesus you pvpers are annoying. Most of the player basi is Pve. If you want them to even look at Pvp you need to max out the pvp server. till then Shut up. Its NOT a priority. Hell they got enough on their plate with the bugs from the last patch.

Honestly there is only so mutch Dev time to go around. Why should they take time away from the 90% of the player base and work on the last 10%?

We Both want the game to Go up. But acting like the Pvp server thats Empty is the only one that matters is Stupid. go get 5 thousand friends playing on that server and you will see a Massive swing in Developer focus.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

Learn some originality and stop stealing my lines   But seriously, I owe you thanks for proving my point.  This is exactly the nasty attitude I got when in game and just asking simple questions.   I reinstalled that huge game to give it ago again and I found the community to be lackluster, obsessive and in SOME cases just plain nasty.  This in addition to performance issue that once again, made the game unplayable for me.  There's too many other games out there to stick around for VG. 

Did I QQ about it?  Nope, not at all.  I just uninstalled the game, demanded my refund and walked away.  I only posted here because I saw another poster with  similar experiences to mine. 

So hold on to the tissue...when the game finally fails you will need it. 

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

This happens in every single game so what do you really expect.

People are on a game that was built for PVE, not PVP, and start asking for more PVP. They are going to get a bad reaction.

Go onto the Darkfall or Mortal pages and ask for more PVE and see what you get.

Go onto WoW and ask for slower leveling or real death penalty and see what you get.

Etc Etc Etc. The problem are those people that feel that every single game made should be exactly what they want and screw those who actually came to the game in the first place because of how it was advertised.

If you came to Vanguard looking for exceptional PVP then you came to the wrong game. If you go to Darkfall looking for exceptional PVE then you went to the wrong game. That isnt being mean, that is just he way it is.

Based on what I saw the few days of my trial I will agree.  I do play WOW and EVE.  Sure there are dorks in both, but tthese games have alot more going for them than VG including a big database of subs (EVE for its size is doing great), solid game performance, solid content and lots of money/room for development.  VG is lucky to still be around and cant afford the bad publicity.   So these "fanbois" of VG need to put a lid on things, shut up and refrain from sarcastic, rude comments.  I doubt they will however.

• etwynnetwynn Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by etwynn

I wonder if you keep embedding quotes whether the background text will eventually turn completely white, rendering the text unreadable.  Is anyone else interested in finding out?

Edit: I guess not...

lol I think you can get into trouble for that :P

—Samuel Adams

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by amimia

heh, people like these come and go. You come here, whine a bit about:
    a. bad community
    b. lack of population
    d. lack of PvP
    d. more or less everything.

And I still say, please do not judge a whole community because of some "vocal members". But you still do, over and over and over again.
    EDIT: "I also want people to come back to the game, even though I am not subscribed atm either. " Remember that line? Your own words, Rabenwolf. A bit odd isn't it that you think the community is bad when you're not even playing the game. Give it a try though, the community might have improved.
    Cheers.

People like me come and go? Typical response from someone who fits my description of the community. You say you are new, yet now you are talking like you have been around. lol. I have played vanguard longer than a "new player"...in fact since day one if you forgot that part. Its not hard to sign up for a month to see the changes, its easy to read them, and you can follow the community via forums. In case you havent realized, we just had over a month of free sub. YES that means I dont have to subscribe again, just load up the client and bam. There goes your assumption and attempt at being clever.

I think the difference between you and I is that I want the game to succeed and am willing to be honest to people regarding the most of the vocal player base. Maybe your EU server is different, but I have my doubts about that.

Finally learn to read please, because I keep making it clear... but maybe not clear enough, that there are exceptions. Do you know what that means? You are not acting like you do.

I can see both your points. Being someone that is a Vet to MMO's I really enjoyed VG during beta and at release, I just couldnt get the game to run smooth enough and I had a nice rig. So I moved on thinking maybe I would come back some day. I really liked the crafting system since I came from SWG and was a weaponsmith/armorsmith(not at the same time lol) for 2 yrs. I came to VG because I knew it was a PvE driven game. Its like telling me you want to try LOTRO for the PvP, yes they have it but its not the same as lets say DF or WOW where they have PvP driven content. WOW is just a PVP grind but they have it and goals(armor and weapon). They have always had a PvP server but someone said there isnt that many people on it so that tells me that PvP isnt popular with the game and I hate to say it but communities make the game.

So I would say DF is more of a game for Rabenwolf and the other person that said they wanted PvP in VG. Im sorry if this sounded bad, I didnt mean it that way. It was just my opinion on what i have read from your replies.

A couple points that need touching on... for some reason some people are thinking that you can only have one or the other. Pve or Pvp. Who in their right mind thinks like that? The most popular mmorpgs have been a strong mixture of both. Thats what vanguard is lacking and its due to the community. I tell people to join vanguard so they can offer a voice to oppose this self destructive community, which will keep the game unpopular until its finally shut down by Sony.

You bring up WoW... why is this game so damn popular? Its because it mixes strong PVE with strong PVP. Both features are solid, it isnt one or the other., its both. PvE and PvP as a whole. Whats better, a one legged man, or a two legged man? If one leg were pve and the other pvp, then that man with two legs can make great leaps and bounds...the one legged man well..he is a cripple. The current vanguard community for the most part wants to be crippled whether they know it or not.

The typical response from others is to "go play WAR if you want pvp". Thats the worst logic I have ever seen. War is a game thats lacking any depth whatso ever, its pve is horrible and its pvp suffers from a broken system.

The majority of players enjoy both pvp and pve, its not one or the other but a hybrid of sorts. This is the key to a successful and popular mmorpg.

So when I see people responding with the typical "go play another game".... I come back to the self defeating community. They should be saying "no, play this game. We need more people, we want to make it bigger, better, more popular."  They would rather tell people to leave than get them to stick around and find some common ground.

pvp balance can work if stats and skills work different against players than they would against mobs and npcs. Changes do need to be made to the game and thats a sacrifice this self damaging community needs to allow. Instead of them asking for more content in which they can finish in a day or two, why not ask for something that will add player driven content. Instead of asking for wet hair when you get in water...yes they are actually asking for this.... ask for something that will make the game a success. Very few of them are willing to do the right thing in order to get the game to succeed.

I pretty much disagree with everything you say....  I guess this makes me part of the bad community...  Or maybe just a person that doesn't agree with you and is trying to explain things to you.

People telling you that VG was designed to be PvE game are correct.  It might not be what you want to hear but it is a fact.  I was involved in the game all through the beta from beta2 and there was never any work on PVP and at the end they just put up a server with pvp enabled for people that wanted it.  But this was never the focus of the dev team and more of something to make VG appeal to pvp crowd.

PvP in my opinion is not a plus unless it is minigames.  Open PvP is just grief in my opinion and destroys the balance of the game for PvE.  The issue is that all classes need to be balanced against each other.  Equipment needs to be nerfed to the point where it is 1. easily replaced or 2. not very significant.  In a good RPG type game with development of levels, gear, and AA point pvp is always unbalanced by these factors.  So the PvP is no fun because it is never going to be fair or balanced.  When you encounter a player with better gear or higher levels you have a snowballs chance in hell and you can run or just stand there an die.  PvP pulls people away from focusing on PvE content.  PvP attacts a higher percentage of immature hostile jerks that degrades the community and the play experience as a whole.

PvP is not why wow is so successful.  Wow is successful because 1. blizzard is a great company with a reputation for releasing high quality products, 2. Warcraft is a very popular brand even before wow, 3. The game is very accessable for new players.  4. Popularity feeds the game, ie my friends play it so I have to also.  Momentum?  5. Blizzard spends a ton on marketing.  6. The game is well polished and has a very high level of quality.

Now if the game you are playing so clearly doesn't match your desires and expectations and the community disagrees that your viewpoint is even desirable, isn't the best advice to play another game that more closely fits your game profile?  A lot of people playing VG are PvE oriented and like the game that way.  If you change it like you suggest then the game wouldn't be the same game and would probably be a game that I'd no longer like...

Your opinion is that PvP would make the game better and more desirable to other players.  I can agree with that but I also say making it more PvP oriented would make the game less desirable to the greater VG community now playing the game.  I for one would not play it.

---
    Ethion

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

"Telon, to many of us, does not simply feel like a video game world. It feels alive. It feels real. And it is an exciting place to just simply get on your galleon or your horse and explore."

I think its just you. To most people the world seems the exact opposite, lifeless and barren in many places and the same old npcs standing in one place for eternity ala eq. Man there is more bs in your "re-review analysis" than in the actual re-review.

The community can be helpfull to a new player but it isnt a strength of the game. In fact it does as much harm to the game as the performance issues. As long as you play the same way as the zeolots, think the same way as the zeolots,want the same thing as the zeolots, etc you are fine. Heaven help you if you mention something done better in another game or think vg should try "x" feature or offer "y" as an option. You will literally be tar and feathered and driven from the game by the cult of brad fanatics.

Dungeons are not a strength of the game either. Hell most are nothing more than a simple shallow cave or cave system. There are some that are cool and in depth but not much you cant find in other games like the eqs. I think the reason people list it as a strength is it requires a group and time to clear trash on your way to your goal and offers the possibility of a wipe.

Crafting is great if you like tedious, anal retentive,forced,multi tiered grinding, snorefests. Nothing like dozens of mousclicks per item, deleveling skills to reallocate skill points then reversing the process. Switching back and forth between toolbelts, not being able to clear a complications because you didnt "guess" correctly and chose water instead of adhesive for your workbench. Using a rng to determine how many complications per crafting session so you get 1- 2 one time, 7-8 and no chance of success the next.

I find it funny how the game many people claim offers freedom has no fly zones. In its current form vanguard only has three strengths imo. Small group play,classes,and exploration.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I feel the same way, Telon is very immersive... it feels alive.   I've become attached to the place and the folks in it.  I haven't felt this way since Norrath and the Prexus community.  I've gotten to know a lot of great people over the past two years and the community has been through a lot together as Vanguard has evolved.

Just because some-one likes the game doesn't make them a 'Vanbois'.  And just because they are willing to stick up for the game in this forum doesn't make them part of a 'bad community'.

The Vanguard community is passionate about the game, I'll give you that.  But they are also very friendly and helpful to new and existing players.  As I've said before, I've played many MMOs and I haven't been a part of a community this good since my EQ1 days.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Vanguards problem is quite the opposite..... really. Granted the game still suffers from some performance issues. But give how big the game world is and the very little amount of resources SoE has to work with the game. They did a mighty fine job.... making the gd game playable and making sure to add plenty of nice content.   

But to get back on track,... it's the people outside VG's community... that will help drag this game down. From anyone hell bent on 2years ago. To the people being ignorant to the actual reality of VG's situtation. To all the people for whatever reasoning.... just hating what SoE is and what it's about.

More times then none..... i've seen this games community, being more then helpfull to everyone. Even if it was someone complaining about performance to whatever else reason. But theres the bad apples in the game.... every game has them. Then theres always... the people who complain about the community. But were they innocent themself's?? Cause i seen plenty of jerk's come back on free periods or Trial... just to say the most immature BS one can think of.. just to trash the game. Then promptly get chewed out by the community.

Anywho think what you will though.

^^^Please.  First off stop underplaying the performance issues, they are serious and they pretty much prevented me (and many others) from even playing the game in some cases.  I was just in this game last week and saw/heard for myself the sarcastic rudeness of some members of the VG community.  No one outside the VG is bringing the game down, the people within it are doing a fine job all by themselves.  Asking in General if anyone else is experiencing lag and being met with "Go back to WOW" or "Get a new computer" (when my rig is top of the line and able to play any game on the market) is just plain rude.  VG Community I will say it again: check yourselves.  If you dont have anything positive to say to a newbie or returnee (as I was) just shut it.  Your doing the game a huge disservice by doing what your doing. 

MMORPG is a place for objective critisism on games.  If people are coming here and saying there is an issue with a game take it or leave it at that.  There are no "secret" agendas, no ones out to get your game, if anything people WANT games to succeed, we are gamers arent we?  So dont come here and place this on people outside.  We are simply relaying our experiences for others to share.

• SholShol Member Posts: 361

I find it hard to believe that asking if there is lag got you such answers.

Actually it does make sense to ask it, as there are/were issues where single chunks had extreme high pings, which resulted in a laggy gameplay. So no clue why anyone would start the wow mantra because of asking a normal question.

If it was IoD (I didnt read the whole thread to this point),  not all there are alts of VG players ;)

Originally posted by Broomy

^^^Please.  First off stop underplaying the performance issues, they are serious and they pretty much prevented me (and many others) from even playing the game in some cases.  I was just in this game last week and saw/heard for myself the sarcastic rudeness of some members of the VG community.  No one outside the VG is bringing the game down, the people within it are doing a fine job all by themselves.  Asking in General if anyone else is experiencing lag and being met with "Go back to WOW" or "Get a new computer" (when my rig is top of the line and able to play any game on the market) is just plain rude.  VG Community I will say it again: check yourselves.  If you dont have anything positive to say to a newbie or returnee (as I was) just shut it.  Your doing the game a huge disservice by doing what your doing. 
    MMORPG is a place for objective critisism on games.  If people are coming here and saying there is an issue with a game take it or leave it at that.  There are no "secret" agendas, no ones out to get your game, if anything people WANT games to succeed, we are gamers arent we?  So dont come here and place this on people outside.  We are simply relaying our experiences for others to share.

Omg... i swear some people.

1. So couple people were being a ass. So you base the whole community on it.... whoa.... real mature.

2. You know if VG's community is so fricken horrible!? It still look's shit ton's better then WoW's, TR's, AoC's, War's, and pretty much any F2P game.

3. Oh noes my pc can't run it... and couple people were jerks to me. Ummmmmmm... you apparently  made no attempt to resolve the problem (Drivers, Resolution normal bs)... and let couple people piss you off. Something tell's me you were not innocent at all in this.  My pc isn't even top of the line... AMD 4400 X2 2.2 ghz, 2gig ram, and geforce 8600 GT. And at 1280X720.. and balanced settings. This game runs fine for me.

4. For the last year, and yea im going to gloat..... WAY more time with the game then you. I've seen this community be one of the nicest ones ever. Face fact's...... every game has their bad apples. Vg has a few but their  a relative low annoyance... then a full blown problem. Like you would have people believe.

5. Yea they can talk all the shit the want about VG.... i don't care. But when it comes down to groundless claim.... with no to little proof to back em..... you can just  GTFO.

• JMadisonIVJMadisonIV Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by DillingerEP

1. So couple people were being a ass. So you base the whole community on it.... whoa.... real mature.

2. You know if VG's community is so fricken horrible!? It still look's shit ton's better then WoW's, TR's, AoC's, War's, and pretty much any F2P game.

3. Oh noes my pc can't run it... and couple people were jerks to me. Ummmmmmm... you apparently  made no attempt to resolve the problem (Drivers, Resolution normal bs)... and let couple people piss you off. Something tell's me you were not innocent at all in this.  My pc isn't even top of the line... AMD 4400 X2 2.2 ghz, 2gig ram, and geforce 8600 GT. And at 1280X720.. and balanced settings. This game runs fine for me.

4. For the last year, and yea im going to gloat..... WAY more time with the game then you. I've seen this community be one of the nicest ones ever. Face fact's...... every game has their bad apples. Vg has a few but their  a relative low annoyance... then a full blown problem. Like you would have people believe.

5. Yea they can talk all the shit the want about VG.... i don't care. But when it comes down to groundless claim.... with no to little proof to back em..... you can just  GTFO.

I just started on the trial today, so I have no opinion good or bad, on VG's community.

however, you aren't doing a very good job of proving your case here, in regards to Vanguard's Community.

"pompous ass" is just dripping from this post here I've quoted.

Originally posted by JMadisonIV

I just started on the trial today, so I have no opinion good or bad, on VG's community.

however, you aren't doing a very good job of proving your case here, in regards to Vanguard's Community.

"pompous ass" is just dripping from the post's here I've quoted.

Fixed it for you :P

and yes I think we ALL need to chill a little here... yes, me to.

—Samuel Adams

Originally posted by JMadisonIV

"pompous ass" is just dripping from this post here I've quoted.

Yea...... ok say's the guy..... who just started and doesn't fully understand. Wait and form a opinion..... then decide..... to say something like this.

1. Didn't I clearly say "Some"? L2readftw....

2.Tsk tsk, Langage, language, anyway first you say I'm judging the whole community of VG and then in the very next sentence you judge the entire community of not one but several games. Therapy is a good thing.

3. BTW, the line "The game runs fine for me" came right after the comment about getting a new PC, I just thought I'd tone it down a little and not mention that. I'm not a IT Technician, and I refuse to jump thru hoops "fixing" a POS game that's as broken now as it was 2 years ago. BTW "I protest my innocence!"

4. Gloating about playing VG for a year? I'd think you be embarrassed to admit it! haha!

5. I should have taken screenies, but frankly at that point I could have cared less. And yes, I did GTFO, and demanded a full refund which SOE indeed provided to me. Even they know the game still has major issues, they didnt even send me their typical canned response, they actually responded and credited my cc. And dont worry, many more will just GTFO, that was the point of my whole post.  Thanks for reiterating it!