Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scientist Teleport Matter More Than Three Feet

EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Lol Sweet One step closer :P

Linkie

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
—Samuel Adams

Comments

• AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

Thank God, maybe sometime in my lifetime I won't have to run over kids in a school zone as I rush to work.  I have been feeling pangs of guilt as I scrape them off my grill.  

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

It's going to take awhile yet....

but I believe if we can start to transport atoms, then we'll have the key to faster than light travel as well....

There is NO HOPE EVER of being anything close to space explorers until we master faster than light travel.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Don't get too excited yet. All they can do with this tech once it is fully developed is FTL communication that is not (theoretically) impeded by distance or in between obstacles. Great for space travel, but just an upgrade for current earthbound comm tech.

Let me put it this way, using this tech for the transport of physical matter is like trying to send a fax over the first telephone line, decades before the first fax machine.

Let me explain something of what they have achieved here. Scientists have discovered that certain nanoscopic materials maintain a... connection with each other. Think of it like a married couple, or better yet, twins. Any actions that affect one portion of such a pairing also affects the other one, even if they are physically separated. So, in theory, if you were to separate a pairing and physically transport them to opposite ends of the galaxy, someone manipulating quantum particle A would be able to send messages to someone observing quantum particle B instantaneusly.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Yes But as I said, its One step closer.

Ill take every little Inch i can get. Besides can you Picture server clusters running this stuff?

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

I'd like to point out that quantum states are not matter. >.>

Also: Ekibi from WoW? :o

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Ampallang

Thank God, maybe sometime in my lifetime I won't have to run over kids in a school zone as I rush to work.  I have been feeling pangs of guilt as I scrape them off my grill.  

So instead of running children down, now you can simply transport them into your basement. How... provident for you.

• parakangparakang Member Posts: 2

OMG! teleportation is near hahaha.. really its a nice breakthrough..

i wonder when will they advance on time travelling?

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    this is actually old news for those who study QFOQR. We have known for at least five years neutrinos can be slowed enough to retain mass. I think I made a number of posts regarding this when I was more active.
    Originally posted by parakang

chances are, never, at least not in the normal sense. Now, what is theoretically possible, although it is much further down the road from mass teleportation, is the ability to step between parallel realities.

If, as we suspect, alternate universes exist, and they are indeed infinite in number and variation, there would be a version of Earth out there exactly like ours, only x amount of time ahead or behind it. While not actual time travel, the affect is largely the same.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247
    Originally posted by Aelfinn

chances are, never, at least not in the normal sense. Now, what is theoretically possible, although it is much further down the road from mass teleportation, is the ability to step between parallel realities.

If, as we suspect, alternate universes exist, and they are indeed infinite in number and variation, there would be a version of Earth out there exactly like ours, only x amount of time ahead or behind it. While not actual time travel, the affect is largely the same.

oh yes...lol...stepping onto the platform into.... a reality where hittler beat us to the bomb.  hope that tech has blonde hair!  sounds like sliders!

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Infinite realities, parallel universes...like Sliders!   Sliders was a cool arse sci-fi show.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Oh and these guys didn't teleport matter.    Did they send even one atom from one location to another - no.

• VishiAnandVishiAnand Member Posts: 239

never really believe that such an event is possible. if this is true, then much is needed to be learned in the real of physics.

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Originally posted by Midnitte

Please note that who ever wrote that article doesn't understand what this means. They didn't teleport matter, they transfered quantum states. Basically they transfered information, the only way to teleport matter would probably be in the form of a worm hole which would destroy that matter in the process.

Please note that who ever wrote that article doesn't understand what this means. They didn't teleport matter, they transfered quantum states. Basically they transfered information, the only way to teleport matter would probably be in the form of a worm hole which would destroy that matter in the process.

How often do people Writeing these things have any idea what they are talking about?

And its still a sweet step foward for computers :P

—Samuel Adams

• CrumpyCrumpy Member Posts: 61

A step forward in the right direction but nothing MAJOR, once matter is being teleported i will be interested

• pilouispilouis Member Posts: 2

Can't do FTL transport of comm using quantum teleportation (which is a misleading name).

The "standard" Quantum Teleportation protocol is (put in simple terms):

1- Alice, the sender, takes two particles (let's name them B and C) and puts them in a special quantum state, called Bell state (state here is not used in the same sense as solid or gas, mind you)

2- She sends one particle of the pair (particle C) to the receiver, Bob (through a regular, vanilla, classical channel, not FTL)

3- Alice then takes the particle whose state she wants to teleport (particle A), the Bell-state particle that remained with her (particle B) and measures them both in a process called a Bell measurement. This usually destroys the particles if they are photons and ALWAYS leaves particle A in a different state from the original one which is being teleported.

4- Takes the result (2 bits of classical information, in the simpler case) and send it to Bob through a classical channel (can't transfer bits faster than light).

5- Bob uses the bits that arrived to make a physical operation on the particle he got earlier (C). This operation leaves that particle in the exact same state of the particle Alice had.

This protocol does not allow for any FTL comm or travel, since the particle and the information both traveled through regular space and obeyed Einstein's Relativity while doing so.

In the end, only one particle exists in the original state. The one with Alice is consumed during the protocol, so no quantum state can be cloned (copied) using quantum teleportation.

In fact, the search for FTL comm lead to the discovery of the "No cloning" theorem, which states that no arbitrary quantum state can be cloned. It was later proved that there can be imperfect cloning, with less than 100% fidelity.

As stated earlier, I believe that wormholes are the only way for FTL comm and travel, though I'm not sure, since I don't work with General Relativity...

• pilouispilouis Member Posts: 2

By the way, DO read the linked article. It is very informative and very well written. They even explain in great detail (especially for a general audience piece) the specifics of the experiment, which was done with ions.

Very good indeed, except for the inevitable Star Trek reference in the beginning... Which is inevitable, even to scientists in conferences.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Rebuilding complex matter will not be that easy, but I believe it will be possible in years to come.

As for living creatures, I do not believe that it will ever be possible, this process requires a complete understanding and mapping of the entire DNA of the creature, and even if we get to that level, I don't believe that a body once disintegrated, can be reconstructed and then resuscitated.

If men could do that, then they will create human immortality, by disintegrating a body of a sick person, they could alter  the "corrupted" DNA for then rebuilding the new body with the "fixed" DNA, so the new body will be healthy and possibly younger.

But even in the most remote possibility that all this could be possible, I don't believe it will ever be possible to transfer or rebuild a human mind.

It might be possible to re-construct a brain, but not what is inside, the brain doesn't worlk like an hard drive.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

People don't seem to realise that transporting an actual living being like this would be the same as killing it.

The matter also didn't transport or teleport at all. The same matter is still in the same place. So it has nothing to do with transporting anything, leave it to FoX news to choose the most misleading title possible for this.

Originally posted by Waterlily

People don't seem to realise that transporting an actual living being like this would be the same as killing it.
    The matter also didn't transport or teleport at all. The same matter is still in the same place. So it has nothing to do with transporting anything, leave it to FoX news to choose the most misleading title possible for this.

Yeah, we kind of covered that already. Besides, I have yet to see a single newsreporter that had more than the most basic idea of what the heck is going on when talking about these subjects, and all of the major networks have had bogus titles like the one above. Face it, they are all morons, why just pick on Fox?

Hemingway

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Not picking on Fox really, I've seen bigger blunders from CNN.

Originally posted by ste2000

Rebuilding complex matter will not be that easy, but I believe it will be possible in years to come.

As for living creatures, I do not believe that it will ever be possible, this process requires a complete understanding and mapping of the entire DNA of the creature, and even if we get to that level, I don't believe that a body once disintegrated, can be reconstructed and then resuscitated.

If men could do that, then they will create human immortality, by disintegrating a body of a sick person, they could alter  the "corrupted" DNA for then rebuilding the new body with the "fixed" DNA, so the new body will be healthy and possibly younger.

But even in the most remote possibility that all this could be possible, I don't believe it will ever be possible to transfer or rebuild a human mind.

It might be possible to re-construct a brain, but not what is inside, the brain doesn't worlk like an hard drive.

Yes and no. This technology inherently involves the status of molecules right down to the quantum level. If a copy is made to that degree, cells will be reconstructed in exactly the same state as they were before, with neural cells in the same coding pathways, and indeed "firing" in the same patterns. A copy made like that would live, think, and act in an identical fashion to the original. The only possible difference is the hypothetical "soul" of the being.

The hurdles we have to jump to get to that point are as follows:

A.) A scanning device must be made that is capable of almost instantly reading and storing massive amounts of information concerning an object on a quantum level.

B.) A device must be made that can construct matter on the same level, again almost instantly. (too slow and you will just end up with a dead half built organism)

C.) The storage capacity for the information required is staggering. If you linked together all of the hard drives ever made on Earth, you still might not have enough space for the data concerning just one person.

P.S. If you reconstructed someone based simply on their DNA sequence, you will end up with a completely uneducated (nothing more than basic instincts) being with some but not all of the same physical characteristics as the host. DNA acts as a guideline for how our bodies are made, how we live provides the details.

Hemingway

Originally posted by ste2000

Yes and no. This technology inherently involves the status of molecules right down to the quantum level. If a copy is made to that degree, cells will be reconstructed in exactly the same state as they were before, with neural cells in the same coding pathways, and indeed "firing" in the same patterns. A copy made like that would live, think, and act in an identical fashion to the original. The only possible difference is the hypothetical "soul" of the being.

The hurdles we have to jump to get to that point are as follows:

A.) A scanning device must be made that is capable of almost instantly reading and storing massive amounts of information concerning an object on a quantum level.

B.) A device must be made that can construct matter on the same level, again almost instantly. (too slow and you will just end up with a dead half built organism)

C.) The storage capacity for the information required is staggering. If you linked together all of the hard drives ever made on Earth, you still might not have enough space for the data concerning just one person.

P.S. If you reconstructed someone based simply on their DNA sequence, you will end up with a completely uneducated (nothing more than basic instincts) being with some but not all of the same physical characteristics as the host. DNA acts as a guideline for how our bodies are made, how we live provides the details.

While I agree with everything here On this topic... Honestly were what 10? years from makeing the total harddrive space of the planet standard... Really we can Buy Multi Terrabite HardDisks right now... 10 years ago we were still Useing Megs to Describe Storage and Gigs were a Goal of geeks :P

Also... Someone Necroed ma thread

—Samuel Adams

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

While I agree with everything here On this topic... Honestly were what 10? years from makeing the total harddrive space of the planet standard... Really we can Buy Multi Terrabite HardDisks right now... 10 years ago we were still Useing Megs to Describe Storage and Gigs were a Goal of geeks :P
    Also... Someone Necroed ma thread

I'm not saying it is an unnatainable goal, our data storage capacity is after all increasing exponentially. All I'm saying is that we still have a long way to go.

Hemingway