Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad start

OrbieOrbie Member Posts: 5

I've just played the trial for a little bit.  I'm probably done with this game, maybe I'm in a bad mood today?  Some of these things are really minor, I know, but I'm going to be interacting with the game a lot, and I think it should be as smooth and customizable as anyone could ask for.

1.  When I tried to assign movement keys, it said "The key you assigned is not available in regular chatting mode."  A cryptic message, I searched the knowledge base, not helpful.  I figured it out, there's a general and a enter chat tab, both have all the keys, you program them separately.

2. Setting 'shortcut' keys.. the list is really short.. I hate little windows for long lists.

3. Every time you set a key, it jumps back to the top of the list, so then you have to scroll down again, dumb.  For those of us who setup keys right away when playing a new game, this crap interface gives a very bad first impression. 

4. Tried to send a suggestion-petition in-game, but after typing a nice message it said "Petition already canceled." with no explanation... they probably ignore trial users.  Rude.  If trial cant petition, disable petitioning.

5. Very limited character creation options for appearance and classes.   Dwarves can only be fighters, elves can only be fighter and mystic, heh.

6. You can't jump.

7. You can't strafe.

8. There is no overview map, only a small minimap.

9. Holding both mouse buttons does not = run.

10. The mouse wheel zoom is backwards, no settings for that in the options. 

11. I noticed that screen shots can be "bitmap, high, average, low" so... is high = jpg? tiff?  What?  Why say bitmap for the first one but not state the format for the others?  Just wierd.

12. No control over window fading, they all fade, I hate fading windows.

This is prolly not the game for me.

Comments

• BluppBlupp Member Posts: 131

Hello there!

From the sound of your "issues" I would say your worst enemy is that you are brainwashed with the "newer" mmorpgs out there.

L2 came out 2004 and was pretty advance compared to other mmorpgs out then. L2 has some "limitations" in movement, if u would call it that. For example u cant jump. But the biggest reason for that as I see it is that u dont ever have to jump. U also mention holdning down both mouse button should make u run. Sure that is kinda standard in most mmorpgs today, but not here.

The best way to move your character in L2 is by using the mouse, click in the geography and it will run torwards that spot. WASD is not very good to use.

And now to the biggest missunderstanding in your post. U are partly corrcet that dwarfs only can be fighters (ever seen a mage-dwarf?). But as u evolve in L2 u will make 3 different "class-transfers". At the first classtransfer u can choose many different paths. For example if u started out as a human fighter u can choose: Knight....Warrior or Scout. If u started as a human mystic u can choose: wizard or cleric. These choices u will have to make no matter what class u are, even dark elf as u mention. The first classtransfer is at lvl 20.

When u become lvl 40 u will have to choose again. For example if u started out as an human mystic and then human wizard....now u have to choose to be: Sorcerer (nuker), Necromancer (hybrid between summoner and nuker) or Warlock (summoner).

At lvl 76 u will do the third classtransfer. Here u cant choose from different classes. But u will get a brand new name of ur class and now the skills u can train starts to become real intereting.

Sp belive it or not there are pretty many classes in L2, but u have to work to get em....u wont get em from start. A matter of fact there is around 105 different classes in Lineage 2, even if some are extensions of same class from lower lvls.

If u started to play L2 4 years ago I bet u could delete at least 8 of your "issues" cause then u would have been used to the way L2 is played.

Dont get me wrong I dont think u are weird because u dont like the game. But give it a serious go, u will get used to the gameplay soon and it will flow nicely. But if the game isnt for u I wish u good luck in your hunt for a new game.

Have fun!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by Orbie

I've just played the trial for a little bit.  I'm probably done with this game, maybe I'm in a bad mood today?  Some of these things are really minor, I know, but I'm going to be interacting with the game a lot, and I think it should be as smooth and customizable as anyone could ask for.
    1.  When I tried to assign movement keys, it said "The key you assigned is not available in regular chatting mode."  A cryptic message, I searched the knowledge base, not helpful.  I figured it out, there's a general and a enter chat tab, both have all the keys, you program them separately.
    2. Setting 'shortcut' keys.. the list is really short.. I hate little windows for long lists.
    3. Every time you set a key, it jumps back to the top of the list, so then you have to scroll down again, dumb.  For those of us who setup keys right away when playing a new game, this crap interface gives a very bad first impression. 
    4. Tried to send a suggestion-petition in-game, but after typing a nice message it said "Petition already canceled." with no explanation... they probably ignore trial users.  Rude.  If trial cant petition, disable petitioning.
    5. Very limited character creation options for appearance and classes.   Dwarves can only be fighters, elves can only be fighter and mystic, heh.
    6. You can't jump.
    7. You can't strafe.
    8. There is no overview map, only a small minimap.
    9. Holding both mouse buttons does not = run.
    10. The mouse wheel zoom is backwards, no settings for that in the options. 
    11. I noticed that screen shots can be "bitmap, high, average, low" so... is high = jpg? tiff?  What?  Why say bitmap for the first one but not state the format for the others?  Just wierd.
    12. No control over window fading, they all fade, I hate fading windows.
    This is prolly not the game for me.

Blupp is right, sorry Orbie, you should have done your research on this one. This in my opinion, even with the recent changes to make it easier (which I hate) is one of the best games out there.

But if you come at it from an "I expect this 4 nearly 5 year old game to be exactly like recent easier games you will just not get it.

First of all there is a way to control window fading as I always turned it off. You'll just have to search a bit in the options if you are so inclined.

secondly, as far as jumping and strafing, this is not WoW. Now, I don't know if that is your experience but you need to wash modern western game controls out of your head. This is an eastern game and up until recently this was the movement of choice. The arrows can be used as movement or if you set the "hit enter to speak" optoiin it allows you to use wasd. so directional keys do work but it really isn't that type of game and they are cumbersome. No one used them that I knew. Point and click is the way to go in this game. Think of it like Diablo or neverwinter nights in that regard.

You absolutely DO NOT need to jump in this game. At all. And the point and click works very well, especially as compared to some other eastern games.

I understand there is some key mapping you can do but I started at the very start of this game and there wasn't any mapping so I don't know how to help you there.

There is a larger map and I believe it is an icon in the lower right corner. remember... not wow or lotro so pressing "m" isn't going to bring it up. Alt M might or control m. Can't remember what it is.

There is a lore reason for dwaves being fighters. They are the crafters and scavengers of the world.

I'm not sure you said that elves can be fighers but again, you are not understanding the game setup.

for humans or elves or orcs you can be a figher or mage. Then when you hit lvl 20 you can branch out into the more "fighter" role or one that is more dagger/bow OR healing mage or damage mage (though the orc mages are different altogether).

Then at lvl 40 you branch out further to either bow user OR dagger user OR more tank class OR a sort of buffing warrior for fighters OR summoner or damage user for mage OR keep with healing.

So things branch off later on.

Petitions are for ingame issues not suggestions. Granted, they don't have the greatest customer support in that regard but that's NC Soft for you.

Is this the game for you? Hard to tell as your complaints are completely off of what you want and not what is required in the game.

If you can change your paradigm for what a game is you might actually get to enjoy this game. However, please be aware that it is an open pvp game and you level up primarily by grinding.

It is also a game that really requires a clan or alliance to get the most out of it.

Now, if those things don't spark interest then I can say the game might not be for you. But it is a different game altogether (remember, it came out before a game like WoW which eventually set certain standards for interface design) so it needs to be approached with these things in mind.

Good luck.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I wont even try to encourage you to stay because a hardcore MMO like Lineage 2 is not for you. From your post it looks like you spent about 10 min in the game before you decided to give up. Why even come in here and just make a post saying that you wont be playing the game. I can understand if you had some valid questions that you wanted to ask but you dont. I like this forum because its one of the few thats helpful to new players and Troll Free and we would like to keep it that way. You cant get a game and expect to custimize everything the way you want it.

• OrbieOrbie Member Posts: 5

Nice positive responses.... where's the trolls?

Sounds like L2 has a good player base :)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I was talking about you.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

(as another new player) you get used to the moving around pretty fast.  heck, i click-to-moved in diablo II all this time!

I'm still not used to the f buttons being the hotkeys (i'm used to the number buttons as most eq/wow people are) but I'm sure I will get more used to it

it's fun and I like it. the visuals and sounds are really well done. though if they ever make an l3, i would hope they make the control more customizable....

itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• isurusisurus Member Posts: 396

6. You can't jump.
    7. You can't strafe.9. Holding both mouse buttons does not = run.

This made me lol

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Nice positive responses.... where's the trolls?
    Sounds like L2 has a good player base :)

Lineage 2 is one of the so-called "old school" MMOs. It passed its "troll- / fanboy-rage" phase a few years back. Though there are some sites on the 'net you can find where the unbridled e-peens are raging as hard as ever with their hyper-posturing ways. Some people never grow up I guess.

However, most of the people (certainly not all) you'll find in the L2 forums here are long-time players; those who've "stuck it out" despite the wave of newer, shinier and flashier MMOs that have come along. Several are pretty mellow and not easily riled... (I don't think I've ever seen Sovrath "go off" on someone, for example :-p).

So yeah.. if someone comes here and states their case - however "odd" - in an at least reasonable and/or respectful manner (ie. not blatantly trolling), then they'll be treated fairly enough.

As for your questions... others have done a great job of answering you there.

I'll sum up the "fighter/mage" thing like this...

When you start off and select "Fighter" or "Mage", you're selecting a general archetype; not so much a "class".

With each class change (first at 20; second at 40) you'll see that your options of advancement increase, with each becoming more specific.

Here's a link to the advancement trees (Mage and Fighter) for Dark Elves:

Click Here

It will illustrate what's been explained here.

I always liked that approach over the "select your class at character creation", and then that's it. It allows you to sorta grow with your character, giving you the chance to try out the different playstyles and select the one that best suits you. Everquest 2 had class progression at launch, too... before they changed it to be more like WoW.

Anyways.. there ya go :)

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by WSIMike

However, most of the people (certainly not all) you'll find in the L2 forums here are long-time players; those who've "stuck it out" despite the wave of newer, shinier and flashier MMOs that have come along. Several are pretty mellow and not easily riled... (I don't think I've ever seen Sovrath "go off" on someone, for example :-p).

lol, thanks WSIMIKE!

I think I'm too old and too comfortable with my place in the world to go off on someone. I do feel that my posting has become a bit "snarkier" because of so many complaint/demand threads that I see on many forums.

And yes, L2 is such a good game that if one is willing to devote the time and effort to it and really make an attempt to understand its gameplay, htey will get a highly rewarding and very rich experience.

I have yet to play a game that has given me so much.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Alt+M brings up the map.  I have it macrod to a single key

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by WSIMike

lol, thanks WSIMIKE!

I think I'm too old and too comfortable with my place in the world to go off on someone. I do feel that my posting has become a bit "snarkier" because of so many complaint/demand threads that I see on many forums.

And yes, L2 is such a good game that if one is willing to devote the time and effort to it and really make an attempt to understand its gameplay, htey will get a highly rewarding and very rich experience.

I have yet to play a game that has given me so much.

Heheh not a prob' Sovrath. You've been that way as long as I can remember - here and in game.

Not sure if you remember, but when you were helping me out some time back (around C3-ish), I was on Shynt'dia (my baby PS)... you were sorta giving me a run-down of the "do's" and "do not's" of the game... warning not to ever trade an item to another player, even if they claimed to be someone I knew, etc. All very sound, and still relevant advice (there's a lot of would-be scammers in L2, to be sure - triple check those private shops o.o)

A little while later, some dude ran up and flagged on one of us... I don't remember which. All I remember was that we tracked them down and then you saying to them something like "That was really dumb. Something like that could get you killed". Many others I've met along the way would have dropped them without a word or second thought (and you were well-prepared to do it). But you were just like "... don't do that again".

Was pretty funny.

Anyway... I never saw ya in game much after that.

And yeah... it's difficult to not be snarky with some people on here.  Though, maybe you're just advancing from "old and comfortable", to "old and cranky"?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

You can bind your hot bars to whatever keys you want, just make sure Enter Chat is on...I thought it said that fairly clearly, because otherwise if you hit a letter or number, it will just show up in the chat window...but if enter chat is on, you have to hit enter before you can type.

And you have to click to move in L2, you may not like it, but the millions who've played it wouldnt change it. Don't play it if you want to run around using WASD or your mouse control. It'll take some getting used to, and is harder to master in PvP, but when you get it down, its a lot better...or you'll just run around autofollowing things like a nub.