Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally an mmo that understands how to make great character models!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45264.html

Star Trek Online has some fantastic looking character models there with great customization, reminds me of SWG's fantastic models but a higher poly count. Just a  shame the rest of the game will probably be as boring as the show lol.

To the rest of you developers out there and I mean you SOE and Turbine, this is how you make great looking models!

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

They look like dollys.

All models are stylized though, even those. But every game has its own set of requirements, so comparing them is kinda like comparing apples to cars. STO happens to be placing a lot into the avatars, as that’s the only form of customization players will have. There is no clothing, no armor, nothing. Its all a game of give and take.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

Thats not true. Your Avatar will not be the only thing that can be customized. You will be able to custpmize your Ship as well.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Star Trek Online has some fantastic looking character models there with great customization, reminds me of SWG's fantastic models but a higher poly count. Just a  shame the rest of the game will probably be as boring as the show lol.
    To the rest of you developers out there and I mean you SOE and Turbine, this is how you make great looking models!

I do want unique, but with a IP like this I would hope to become unique with one of the common species from Star Trek.

It would work for me, if my created species actualy started to excist, meaning as in NPC's that are the same as my newly created species, technoligy that is created by my species. If thats not the case then I just would like to have the known species to the Star Trek lore and have the tools to make them unique, having the freedom to lets say be a Klingon and join Star Fleet command or be a Klingon and be faithfull towards the Klingon Empire. Or just a Klingon wanderer with no faction what so ever.

• JakletJaklet Member Posts: 244

Bloodworth still has an STO vendetta? This guy needs to get over it.

Originally posted by JamesP

Thats not true. Your Avatar will not be the only thing that can be customized. You will be able to custpmize your Ship as well.

We were talking about avatars.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Jaklet

Bloodworth still has an STO vendetta? This guy needs to get over it.

uh, yeah, uh huh. I have no "vendetta", never did, but by comparison, This version is infinitely better than what Perpetual was making.

My point was completely valid, your just trolling however.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Keep in mind Cryptic is the developer who gave us the amazing level of superhero customization in CoH. So I am, happily, not surprised that STO has highly customizable avatars.

• QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81

I am not terribly impressed by these models.  EQ2 has just as nice models.  The detail is lacking.  You would think that in 2009 we would have almost cinemagraphic textures and details for avatars.  I think developers and department managers in general are sorely lacking in any vision for these games.  Actually Vanguard character models kick the S*H*I*T out of these models, and that game is 2 years old.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

They look like dollys.
    All models are stylized though, even those. But every game has its own set of requirements, so comparing them is kinda like comparing apples to cars. STO happens to be placing a lot into the avatars, as that’s the only form of customization players will have. There is no clothing, no armor, nothing. Its all a game of give and take.

Lol yeah they are kinda stylized. Seems MMO companies are all gonna start doing this more since AoC and VG bombed and even graphics could save them, actually it made things worse IMHO.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• VishiAnandVishiAnand Member Posts: 239

i personally dont love mmos that boast about their graphics rahter than their gameplay. i dont care much about what the game looks like, but only how good the game is in terms of its playability and graphics.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I have to day I am disappointed in these models too they look very plastic but graphics don't make the game but if this is what we have to look forward to in the future then it may be time to retire from gaming, mind you the fact that Atari have their little mitts on it does not suprise me, but I expected better tbh.

Though I am not a big Star Trek fan they need to do the game justice as many fans will be very disappointed if it fails to provide the game they are hoping to see and for the fans alone I hope the games a success, but ill not be bothering with this unless it proves to be something out of this world...

Asbo

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

They look like dollys.

Well, Cryptic set the standard when it comes to customization, with City of Heroes.  You might not like how a lot of their options look, but the sheer variety available when you made your hero was amazing.

I'm glad to see they haven't lost it completely.  On the other hand, I'm kind of concerned about the aesthetics of the game.  I played CoX because it made the action look nice.  The first 20 levels, action looked good but not great.  Later in the game, fighting looked and felt pretty nice.

How do you make Star Trek action look good?  I don't know if you guys remember, but a lot of the fight scenes in Star Trek were bullshit.  The ship combat in DS9 and Voyager looked OK, but the hand-to-hand combat was bleh.

At this point, I'd rather see something completely unrealistic than something which was boring.  Seriously.  Get Captain Picard in there pulling off some of Ryu's moves from Street Fighter.  I could live with that.

On another note, this player-created race stuff will be bullshit.  Mark my words.  I'll be dumb enough that it'll shrivel your brain faster than salt on a slug.  I'm going to punch the first roleplayer I see who is from the planet of the catgirls and/or boys.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531
    Originally posted by Calcedon

I am not terribly impressed by these models.  EQ2 has just as nice models.  The detail is lacking.  You would think that in 2009 we would have almost cinemagraphic textures and details for avatars.  I think developers and department managers in general are sorely lacking in any vision for these games.  Actually Vanguard character models kick the S*H*I*T out of these models, and that game is 2 years old.

EQ2 models are terrible.....

These Star trek Online characters have more style and detail and they are pretty and not ugly and bland like this guy ^

• MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339

No no no, Cryptic already knew how to create great player models from City of Heroes by putting all customization in the player's hands.  Champions Online will take customization to even a further level.

What Cryptic has done, should be the standard on how you create your character's appearance in any MMO, be it Fantasy, Sci Fi, or Superhero.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Originally posted by VishiAnand
    I personally dont love mmos that boast about their graphics rahter than their gameplay.

Amen, brother.

And I'll just chime in here to say that CoH's models were based on your look never changing. Something which I don't think can work well in any MMORPG where itemization is meaningful.

But as for my tastes, I much prefer characters looks (armor or clothes) being based off of - and being an indicator of - acheivement/and or defensive capabilities. Hell, I'd even do away with dye altogether. But I know very few would agree with me on that one.

Originally posted by Pynda

And I'll just chime in here to say that CoH's models were based on your look never changing. Something which I don't think can work well in any MMORPG where itemization is meaningful.

Just what i said. Same thing with STO.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Originally posted by Calcedon

EQ2 models are terrible.....

These Star trek Online characters have more style and detail and they are pretty and not ugly and bland like this guy ^

I could not agree anymore. I always play human characters but I never played EQ2 because the human male characters are cross-eyed. It blows me away that these were never updated. I have never seen such bad artwork and design, ever..

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I think those models look pretty good, and I love the customization abilities. All games should have customization like that.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• 7Fold7Fold Member Posts: 318

Looks good, but sadly I think they are going to flub this game.

I know its another topic, but when I read that everyone gets a starship and there is no crew I lost total interest in the game. I think they really missed the whole point of star trek which was having many people interacting on the spaceship, officers, doctors, engineers, etc all under the same roof.

The character customization does look nice though :)

Originally posted by 7Fold

Looks good, but sadly I think they are going to flub this game.

I know its another topic, but when I read that everyone gets a starship and there is no crew I lost total interest in the game. I think they really missed the whole point of star trek which was having many people interacting on the spaceship, officers, doctors, engineers, etc all under the same roof.
    The character customization does look nice though :)

Theres no crew? I was hoping it would be like Mass effect like where you had your crew that you could take on missions with you as like a 3 person squad or something.

Theres going to be walking outside the ship right? Otherwise I lost interest now lol.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I hate to rain on your parade but i was expecting something beyond old school stuff,that was nothing even close to top notch.

No facial expressions,george jetson hair do's,the eyes did not even blink lol,honestly that is a second rate effort.Lot of DECALS sure,but that is nothing new anyone can encorporate that with very little effort,perhaps when i get around to it ,i might post you some actual good/great modelling efforts.

Ok fair enough dude ,i read your response.I was a little lazy ,but i have a video with a bit more over all information using my fave game engine.Near the end iot talks about models and high polygons,they show mobs,but the same can be done with  players,i was just too lazy to look for a player only video.They are out there ,places like Beyond unreal,EAT3d,or 3dbuzz have many videos and tutorials.

This video if nothing else,would help educate a lot of people as to the possibilities of game engines.The UE3 does have a few limitations and flaws,but Epic is working on those flaws as they are great at working wit hthe public.

www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/14033.html

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I hate to rain on your parade but i was expecting something beyond old school stuff,that was nothing even close to top notch.

No facial expressions,george jetson hair do's,the eyes did not even blink lol,honestly that is a second rate effort.Lot of DECALS sure,but that is nothing new anyone can encorporate that with very little effort,perhaps when i get around to it ,i might post you some actual good/great modelling efforts.

The game is a long way from being released and I'm pretty sure them things will come in time. Right now I'm just talking about the actual design of the models that looks really good and pretty. Not being pretty in a gay Asain Emo way and I'm so glad they arn't ugly like most other games such as Vanguard, Lotro and EQ2.

Emotion, blinking and animations can all come in later but right now I'm just talking about the look of the models which are better than most other mmorpgs I've seen.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Personally I think the models aren't bad. Not thrilling me out of my pants, but a good start. Really not bad imo. The big question remains what I need it for when its all a soloing game about spacefight?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

You really need to get out and try some of the free to play games.  Perfect World blows away what STO will offer in the way of avatar design.  Aion will have very advanced avatar design too.  The Koreans and Chinese are getting very good at this, the developers on this side of the pond better sit up and take notice.

• paintchipspaintchips Member UncommonPosts: 107

I rather like them, not really a fan of stylized graphics especially when it involes inflating body proportions into the super human range like TOR, but I could live with STO art style, the models are very tidy. I would be tempted to play STO for the player models alone. Shame the game will get dumbed down for the consoles. They almost had a sub.