Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Operating system geek off!

Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

So I've been playing with Ubuntu lately and at work I've been forced to work on a Macintosh. I still have Windows XP on dual boot, of course. So with this juggling of operating systems I've come to a startling conclusion: it's just software.

No really! Vista and OS X do basically the same the same shit. Linux  does just about everything that the other two operating systems do, just not as well.... And then there are the constant hardware driver issues with Linux...

At any rate, you can make Vista look like OS X if you want and you make most distros of Linux look like OS X or Vista. You can't make OS X look any different though since that would make the baby Jesu... er Steve Jobs cry.

At the end of the day it all comes down to a combination of asthetic preferences and what you're familiar with. So where do your loyalties lie?

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

BTW, here are some ancient GUI operating systems that you might get a kick out of.

Apple Lisa

Amiga

OS/2

Apple II GS with GS/OS

GEOS for the Commadore 64

BeOS

Mac Classic

Looking at these olde skool operating systems kind of gives you a greater appreciation for what we have today. 

• hetlipimhehetlipimhe Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

So I've been playing with Ubuntu lately and at work I've been forced to work on a Macintosh. I still have Windows XP on dual boot, of course. So with this juggling of operating systems I've come to a startling conclusion: it's just software.
    No really! Vista and OS X do basically the same the same shit. Linux  does just about everything that the other two operating systems do, just not as well.... And then there are the constant hardware driver issues with Linux...
    At any rate, you can make Vista look like OS X if you want and you make most distros of Linux look like OS X or Vista. You can't make OS X look any different though since that would make the baby Jesu... er Steve Jobs cry.
    At the end of the day it all comes down to a combination of asthetic preferences and what you're familiar with. So where do your loyalties lie?

its the same case in my pc at homw. i got linux and vista in one pc. i love to use linux but there seems to be so little supported games for it. so i only play at vista.

• bojinxbojinx Member Posts: 172

On my main computer I have a Dual boot : Windows XP and PCLinuxOS (based off Debian)

On my very old computer ( 256 mb ram, Pentium III) I use Puppy Linux, which the entire operating system is a whopping 64 magabytes. Puppy linux allows me to run that old computer like it's brand new.

I have also tinkered around with BSD (Unix) it runs like a work horse but has a steep learning curve when you are dealing with the commands.  I think you will see more of BSD when they improve PC-BSD and Desk Top BSD.

I don't understand why schools and government agencies don't use Linux instead of Microsoft or even OponeOffice instead of Microsoft office.  Just that simple fix could save a lot of money. In fact their really isn't any reason why they can't switch to Linux. It has come a long ways since since the early years of slackware, now 99% of all Linux distribution comes with a GUI and is a breeze to install and use.

As for Mac's, I will leave that to the trendy folks who hang out at their local Starbuck's.

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

I recently moved to Ubuntu as well because i just got fed up with windows.  I had a virus that i could for some reason not remove and had to reformat my hard drive so i decided to see what all the hype about linux was, and honestly i can say it lives up to its expectations.  It may not be for the average person i admit as it does get confusing in the initial switch but the more i use it the more i like it.  I have a friend who isnt that computer savy and his new computer came with ubuntu, he just couldnt take all the technical stuff anymore and bought vista.  Me on the other hand, i dont game much and like to get into the technical stuff so i like linux.  I also like the sense of security from viruses i get with ubuntu, i know its not 100% safe but i can tell you right now its safer then windows will ever be.  Theres alot more reasons why i like ubuntu but i wont get into all of them.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by grimweeper

I recently moved to Ubuntu as well because i just got fed up with windows.  I had a virus that i could for some reason not remove and had to reformat my hard drive so i decided to see what all the hype about linux was, and honestly i can say it lives up to its expectations.  It may not be for the average person i admit as it does get confusing in the initial switch but the more i use it the more i like it.  I have a friend who isnt that computer savy and his new computer came with ubuntu, he just couldnt take all the technical stuff anymore and bought vista.  Me on the other hand, i dont game much and like to get into the technical stuff so i like linux.  I also like the sense of security from viruses i get with ubuntu, i know its not 100% safe but i can tell you right now its safer then windows will ever be.  Theres alot more reasons why i like ubuntu but i wont get into all of them.

Can't be too "technical" to not have avoided viruses, and not know how to get rid of 'em. Fault on your part is no reason to judge operating systems, 'least not in the context of being "technical" or "average".

Windows is as safe as you allow it to be.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

It comes down to price too.

You forgot to say that Ubuntu is free.

The advantage of MS products is that they are compatible with all software and games, that's what gives it an edge, not certainly because they are the best OSs.

• gsp_rushgsp_rush Member Posts: 113

I am using Vista as well as Windows XP. But I am looking forward to Windows 7, I 've read great reviews about that OS and they say it has a chance to take out Linux, I do not know if that is true...

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by gsp_rush

I am using Vista as well as Windows XP. But I am looking forward to Windows 7, I 've read great reviews about that OS and they say it has a chance to take out Linux, I do not know if that is true...

From what I've seen of Windows 7 it would appear that Microsoft is trying to compete with OS X more than Linux. I can honestly say that Windows 7 is just as pleasing to the eye as OS X and finally incorporates features that Linux users have enjoyed since 1999. I still think the Linux Mint is more attractive than either operating system right out of the box. Not that you can't adjust the appearance of any Linux distro to look how you want latter though.

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

My computers

Main computer: Vista/XP/7

Laptop: 7

Work Computer: Vista/7

Server: SBS 2008

Web server: Server 2003 web edition

Test machine: Ubuntu/gOS Rocket

Main linux computer: Mandriva

kitchen laptop (old PIII): PClinuxos

2 Macs both running different versions of OSX.  I forget the versions since I almost never turn them on because OSX is such a mess.

I think I need more.

member of imminst.org

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047
    Originally posted by sepher

Originally posted by grimweeper

Can't be too "technical" to not have avoided viruses, and not know how to get rid of 'em. Fault on your part is no reason to judge operating systems, 'least not in the context of being "technical" or "average".

Windows is as safe as you allow it to be.

Touche, but i know what im doing on a computer rather then just using it to acess myspace, mail and aim is what i actually meant.  I have gotten rid of viruses before and know how to protect myself but this was just one of those pesky ones that no matter how hard you try it keeps coming back and i dont know how i got it but im guessing it was from downloading random junk off random sites just to get something for free.  And i dont have anything against windows i just tryed something new and liked it so i kept it.