Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP guild punished for cheating

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

article at massively

www.massively.com/2009/02/09/esteemed-guild-wars-guild-punished-for-cheating/

Guild tournaments are serious business in Guild Wars. The arena-based PvP in ArenaNet's successful MMO is widely popular as global guilds face up for a top spot on the Tournament Ladder.

One of the most popular and powerful of these competitive guilds is Rebel Rising [rawr], who has been in the spotlight many times for their own separate Rawr Cup Tournament. Recently though, Rebel Rising was caught cheating in a Guild versus Guild tournament. According to ArenaNet, both teams stopped fighting at the end of a match, allowing the timer to run down and guaranteeing both teams a spot in the Top 16.

As punishment, Rebel Rising will have their gold cape trim removed for one month, while the other team, Survival Rate [zero] will not receive their silver cape trim, as would usually be awarded for a guild placing in the top 16.

Since this was the first offense for both guilds, the punishment was light. ArenaNet has stated that any future offenses will be met with temporary or permanent bans for any players involved.

link to source

wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Regina_Buenaobra/Journal#Tournament_Ruling_-_06_February_2009

Tournament Ruling - 06 February 2009

In the most recent GvG tournament, Rebel Rising [rawr] and Survival Rate [zero] tied against each other by coming to an agreement and choosing not to fight while the timer counted down. Forcing a draw at that stage of the tournament guaranteed both teams a place in the Top 16.

Based on documentation and reviews of the event, we observed both guilds willfully and knowingly conspiring to intentionally draw the match in this way. It was very clear that both guilds broke tournament rules, which state that participants may not engage in any form of ladder manipulation or unsportsmanlike conduct. Both guilds agreed to tie the match, and they did so knowing that they were breaking the rules.

As a result, both guilds will have their cape trims removed. Rebel Rising [rawr] will have their permanent gold cape trim removed for a period of one month. Survival Rate [zero] will not receive their silver cape trim for placing in the Top 16. The guilds’ rankings will remain the same.

We feel that removing status (cape trims) rather than resetting their rankings sends a stronger signal to the guilds involved, while still being lenient in this first offense. Future offenses of this type may be treated in a stricter manner, including temporary or permanent bans for any players involved.

We are working on updating the ATS mechanics to further discourage this type of ladder manipulation in the future. We will also be updating the tournament rules to provide more clarity on this issue.

If you have any comments or feedback about this decision, please contact the Community Team at community @arena.net or through one of the other methods listed on my user page.

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

No idea why [rawr] cheated really, not like they would've missed top 16 anyway... And removing gold trim from [rawr] isn't really a big thing, even if it was until they got it next time they would still've got it next month. For [zero] I don't know though, but chances are quite big they'll get it back. And for all that matters: tournaments is serious business. It's the ultimate proof of your own superiority, or inferiority, as a guild.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

As cheats go, it was a relatively minor infraction and the punishment seems to fit the crime. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'm sure this wasn't the first time this happened but unfortunate for them they were the ones who got caught first.

• NaikeNaike Member Posts: 42

Why is that considered cheating to willingly let a match be a tie?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Naike

they were "throwing the game" and manipulating the ladder

• curiousdaoccuriousdaoc Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Naike

Ever heard the expression "taking a dive"? nuff said.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I think the punishment was too lenient, but hopefully that will deter anyone else from cheating.

• kingofnothinkingofnothin Member Posts: 112

That really sucks for both teams. The rules are pretty strict in order to stop that with happening to all teams. Just sucks it happened to 2 high profile teams.

• kengiczarkengiczar Member Posts: 95

If BOTH of those teams got in, and SOME other team didn't get in because of that,

of course that is some low down dirty crap.

my god if your not willing to fight you should be kicked out of the tournament imo ^_^  No holdin back fellas

FYI many people take GW PvP as seriously as the super bowl, what with 100,000k+ U.S.A. Dollars up for grabs annually.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by kingofnothin

That really sucks for both teams. The rules are pretty strict in order to stop that with happening to all teams. Just sucks it happened to 2 high profile teams.

How does it suck for them? They brought it on themselves. I show no sympathy whatsoever for cheaters.

• kingofnothinkingofnothin Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Lydon

Originally posted by kingofnothin

How does it suck for them? They brought it on themselves. I show no sympathy whatsoever for cheaters.

Well I guess specifically rawr, it sucks for. They should know better, but who knows, maybe somebody who didn't actually know the rules was in charge.