Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

thinking of buying the game, but i have questions

tleytektleytek Member Posts: 107

yes i have a few questions. im thinking of buying this game but i was wondering, do i have to buy all 4 expansions?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

No, you don't have to buy everything.  You can buy any campaign by itself and play that alone.  To play the Eye of the North expansion, you'd have to buy that and also buy some campaign.  Because there is no monthly fee, the only way the company makes money is by selling the initial boxes, so they can't effectively scrap that cost the way that some games can and expect to make it up with the monthly fee.

You can get the "Guild Wars Trilogy" (that is, all three campaigns) for $50 off Amazon; for comparison, they charge $45 for the Nightfall campaign alone.  That will keep you busy for quite a while, and give you access to everything except for the Eye of the North expansion, which you could buy later if so inclined.  Nearly all of the good content is in the campaigns, and the expansion isn't that good, so that's what I'd do if you were going to pick up the game.

• tleytektleytek Member Posts: 107

I'm looking at the GW wiki and it seems that i need to have certain expansions for skills, will i be ok for pvp if i dont have those skills restricted from me?

Nearly all of the skills are on the three campaigns--including all of the elites.  Eye of the North only added an extra 10 skills per class (compared to about 100 per class in previous campaigns, so you'd probably be fine for some PvP without those.  If PvP is your main concern, you'd need to get the Eye of the North to be competitive at the high end, though.

There are also PvP editions of Guild Wars that let you get the skills, but don't let you play any of the PvE content.  I think those are probably cheaper, if you're only interested in PvP.  I don't know many details on that, though.

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

I saw the 3 campaigns + Eye of the North recently in a black box in the shop for 50 euros. Some extra stuff is sold directly in their online shop but it's fluff and not essential.

The most impressive campaign for me was Prophecies (sometimes called Guild Wars), the first one, with the Searing event, so if you settle for only one to try and like PVE I'd recommend this one.

• d10sfand10sfan Member Posts: 34

Id reccomend starting out with Prophesies (the first one) whether you get one or all of them.

I'd also recommend going through content in the order in which it was released (Prophecies -> Factions -> Nightfall -> Eye of the North) even if you get it all at once.  Nightfall makes reference to some things that happened in Prophecies and Factions, but the references won't make sense if you don't play through the others first.

You also refer to "the" wiki.  There are two major wikis for Guild Wars.  One is the official wiki, and it's what you will reach if you type wiki in game.  The other is the unofficial wiki, which started about two years before the official one, and has more and better information.  If you're looking up something trivial (e.g., where can I learn skill X), they're pretty much equivalent.  If you need something more complex (e.g., I'm stuck on mission X), the unofficial wiki is often far superior.

• AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97

If your interested in PVP then the PVP editions of each game is cheaper (though not cheaper than the trology box) and the difference is that though it lacks the PVE campaign you get access to all the skills contained within that expansion immediately and don't need to hunt those skills down in the PVE map.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Ariolander

If your interested in PVP then the PVP editions of each game is cheaper (though not cheaper than the trology box) and the difference is that though it lacks the PVE campaign you get access to all the skills contained within that expansion immediately and don't need to hunt those skills down in the PVE map.

I think you miss a lot by not making a single PvE char. Sometimes it is fun to PvE a bit, and there are some gear you only can get that way.

Besides you can find the first box for almost nothing, saw it for $12 the other day.

You don't need more than the first box for starters, there are some different stuff in the other boxes and in factions there are some sweet battlegrounds (scenarios, whatever). You also get more proffesions and slots to chose from.

Best thing if youre into PvP is that you can start a max level character for only PvP with nice gear, but if you want one of the elite armours (they look cooler but are as good as the regular ones) or a green weapon you need to PvE also, the green weapons are slightly better, you might be able to buy one too. You are ok only with PvP also of course even though you miss some of the best looking armour in the game.

• ZigityZigity Member Posts: 12

(As stated by previous posts...)

Europeans can buy all 3 stories and the 1 expansion in The Complete Collection like a previous poster said.

USA and other countries can buy the 3 stories together in The Trilogy for about $50.

Or you can buy any of the storylines separately: Prophecies, Factions, or Nightfall. It typically irks people when others call them expansions, because they arent.

Green weapons are almost invariably junk, at least compared to what you can make from a blue collector weapon with custom mods.  While the green weapons have max everything, they rarely have mods that are all that useful.

• NaikeNaike Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by tleytek

I'm looking at the GW wiki and it seems that i need to have certain expansions for skills, will i be ok for pvp if i dont have those skills restricted from me?

No, definetly not.

If I was you and seriously wanted to buy this game which seems kind of stupid IMO since there are so many other MMOs around, but if money isnt the problem why not.

Anyway I'd start with prophecies, almost any viable PvP build uses prophecies skills, secondly maybe factions, and least Nightfall, at least when nightfall came out and i was still playing activily.

Originally posted by Naike

If I was you and seriously wanted to buy this game which seems kind of stupid IMO since there are so many other MMOs around, but if money isnt the problem why not.

So someone shouldn't buy one game because there are a lot of other games, too?  By that logic, no one should ever buy any game.

• NaikeNaike Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Quizzical

If I was you and seriously wanted to buy this game which seems kind of stupid IMO since there are so many other MMOs around, but if money isnt the problem why not.

So someone shouldn't buy one game because there are a lot of other games, too?  By that logic, no one should ever buy any game.

I think you got what I meant.

Its just my opinion but it seems GW is dying, at least losing active players, so i dont see any idea in a fresh start, but again i never spend much money on mmos except the fees, but the actual retail package.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Its just my opinion but it seems GW is dying

Ive seen people make the same claim for ALL mmos - including WOW

more accurate to say, the game is dying for you

Its just my opinion but it seems GW is dying, at least losing active players

It's likely that the number of active players in Guild Wars is, indeed, decreasing.  And it's also likely that ten years from now, with the number of players decreasing all that time, Guild Wars will still have more players than 95% of the games currently on the list to your left, as well as many of the games that release in the interim.

For someone who wants a game along the lines of what Guild Wars offers, you're not going to find a better game on the market, or even one that isn't that much worse than Guild Wars, for that matter.  Indeed, it's likely that you won't find a better game along the lines of Guild Wars ever, even if you wait a couple of decades.  And yes, I'm including GW2 in that assessment.

Games that go out of their way to be different usually don't have that many good substitutes, even decades later.  Can you name a game kind of similar to Super Dodge Ball?  And great games, of course, are timeless.