Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming back - Questions

mdgilbertmdgilbert Member Posts: 10

I'm coming back to the game. I have not played since launch and even then I did not play a lot of it. But the more I've been looking around the more GW seems like a great fit for me.

That said I'm overwhelmed by the amount of content and info and am looking for a little clarification on getting going. I have all 3 campaigns and EotN. I've read a ton of great threads recommend where to start etc. but a couple things remain unclear. Perhaps its best to state my goals with the game and then pose my questions.

Goal:

I'd like to experience much of the PvE content and then ultimately PvP. Sound simple. I love the idea of unlocking tons of skills (Choice is good!) and that about it. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. I'd like to enjoy it all, so maxing out quickly or starting out super strong is not an issue.

Questions

1. A lot of threads recommend starting in X campaigns, but playing through them all. Can this be done with a single character? Should it? If so, why?
  2. Are unlocks (Heroes, skills, etc.) available to all toons on an account once unlocked, or just the one that unlocked them?
  3. I kind of like the idea of a Ranger/Dervish Is it possible to start out in Prophecies or Factions and still end up with this combo, or must I start in Nightfall.

Thanks much in advance. I know it a lot to ask. After 4 years+ in WoW and EQII, then bouncing from AoC to WaR and trying just about everything else out there, it be nice to get settled into a game for a long time again and there definately seems to be a lot to do in GW. The mechanics seem fun and the game still looks great.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by mdgilbert

Questions

A lot of threads recommend starting in X campaigns, but playing through them all. Can this be done with a single character? Should it? If so, why?
    Are unlocks (Heroes, skills, etc.) available to all toons on an account once unlocked, or just the one that unlocked them?
    I kind of like the idea of a Ranger/Dervish Is it possible to start out in Prophecies or Factions and still end up with this combo, or must I start in Nightfall.

1. yes the same character can be used for all chapters

2.  unlocks are account based in regards to PVP use

for PVE,  each character will need to learn the skill but you do get the benefit of being able to acquire the skill from any trainer --- if the skill is already unlocked on your acct

otherwise, will need to wait until you find an appropriate trainer with the skill you want.

PVE Hero unlocks have no shortcuts, you need to progress through the game for each of your characters to acquire the Hero for PVE use.

PVE Heros can use any skill unlocked on your account.

3. Rangers can start in any chapter but if you want Derv secondary, need to start in Nightfall

PVE players can change their secondary profession to anything (and often) once they have completed the Ascension quest

wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ascension

guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ascension

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

If you are looking to go slow then I would suggest starting in Proph and work your way through. There's something to be said for Pre and the progression through it. However, if you like to solo then I would suggest NF since you get heroes right away.

Since you can change your secondary class I wouldn't worry to much about it right away. Just find a the 2 classes that compliment you and your gaming style. Just remember monk is never a bad secondary for a new char.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• mdgilbertmdgilbert Member Posts: 10

Thanks for the help. One more, I hope not too stupid question: Can I start a character in Proph, head into Nightfall to get a heroe or two and then come back and finish the Proph campain?

Again, thanks much for your help.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Thanks for the help. One more, I hope not too stupid question: Can I start a character in Proph, head into Nightfall to get a heroe or two and then come back and finish the Proph campain?

Yes you can. However, in Prophecies you'll play through a good quarter of the campaign at least before you get to the town that will allow you to travel to Nightfall. 

• mdgilbertmdgilbert Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Lydon

Yes you can. However, in Prophecies you'll play through a good quarter of the campaign at least before you get to the town that will allow you to travel to Nightfall. 

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm going to take that route. I don't mind waiting to till a little later in the campain. It should give me a feel for things before I start wandering about.

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm going to take that route. I don't mind waiting to till a little later in the campain. It should give me a feel for things before I start wandering about.

Not a problem. I'm totally behind you on that one. People have grown too dependant on heroes. We played without them for ages and did just fine. I enjoyed playing the campaigns in order and Prophecies eases you into the game much more slowly too, which is excellent as there's no rush.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

If you decide you really want some heroes you can always get a run to Lion's Arch.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Which I highly suggest you don't do. It will make the game all the more confusing for a new player having quests from all over the place.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

If you start off with proph,can you still pick up the heroes later on,and will they all scale to your current level?

Originally posted by jimsmith08

If you start off with proph,can you still pick up the heroes later on,and will they all scale to your current level?

Yeah, you can pick the heroes up later on. You'll have to go over to Nightfall or Eye of the North to pick them up quickly. They will be scaled to your level to a degree, but don't worry as heroes level pretty fast.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 23,226

1.  A character that is created in one campaign can transfer to any other campaign that you own once you get far enough into the campaign.  You have to get to Lion's Arch in Prophecies, Kaineng Center in Factions, or complete the quest The Time Is Night (basically clear Istan) in Nightfall.  You have to do a quest to go to another campaign the first time, but once you've done that, you can freely warp to another campaign via map travel.

So yes, a single character can do multiple campaigns.  Indeed, it's intended that many characters will.  Getting a number of the titles requires clearing all of the campaigns.

2.  Skill unlocks are by account.  For PvE characters, skill ownership is by character.  Acquiring a skill on any character automatically unlocks that skill for your account.  If a skill is unlocked, that means any PvP characters can get that skill for free.  Other PvE characters would still have to obtain the skill separately, however.

If a non-elite skill is unlocked on your account, then every single trainer in the relevant campaign(s) will offer to train your character in that skill, even if he wouldn't normally have it.  For example, if an elementalist wanted to learn Searing Heat, normally you'd have to go all the way to either Gammel in Copperhead Mines or Dakk in Ember Light Camp to learn it, or else capture it off certain bosses with a signet of capture.  If you have Searing Heat unlocked on your account and want to learn it on another character, the other character can learn it from any skill trainer in the Prophecies campaign.  This only works for non-elite skills; elite skills can never be learned from trainers.

Also, unlocked skills can be learned via tomes.  If a skill is unlocked and you want to learn it, you can use a tome of the relevant class to learn the skill.  Elite skills can be learned from elite tomes in the same way, but those are more expensive.

3.  The campaign in which you start restricts your choice of a primary profession.  You'll notice that at character creation.  It restricts the secondary profession that you can choose early on, but you can unlock all of the secondary professions on a given character.  You can obtain dervish as a secondary profession in the Sunspear Sanctuary  no matter which campaign your character started in.