Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NIGHTMARE to install and set up

MBAngelMBAngel Member Posts: 12

I have downloaded and installed a number of games, including wow and it's various upgrades. This is by far the number one most fugged up process I've ever gone through.

First... it downloads in rar format... Then you have to BUY a decent program to unzip it. IT'S A WINDOWS CLIENT!!! WHY ARE YOU NOT USING THE BUILT IN ZIPPER???

I've spent 4 hours so far updating, and it keeps stopping. I wait and wait, and finally it'll chunk off another 5% or so.

I'm not even done updating and I'm already so angry at this game I could spit nails.

I moved the launcher/news window, and my mouse stuck to it, and it moved off the screen.... My pc is lagging just installing it...

I don't see any where on the site what the system requirements are. So I don't even know yet if this is going to play on my pc that runs wow beautifully.

How do you expect to get any of wow's players over here with the system requirements this game seems to take??? You can't claim to be a wow clone and then require 5 times the requirements, and honestly expect to get any of those people over here. That and the pvp rules and you start losing potential players immediately, before they're even logged in. I'm not a pvper, and the harsh rules about pvp actually encouraged me to try this, but if I can't even get it installed...

You're sure not gonna get me to buy any diamonds, and I'm one of those people who feel that if I like the game, and I'm getting decent entertainment from it, I should support the developers by buying cash shop items.

This is ridiculous... You better get it together, and write some decent code before you go out of "beta" people....  I was looking forward to trying this game, but I am so screaming mad at just the download/install/update process I just can't see this even being worth my time.

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

What in the world are you on about ? First of all you dont need to pay for an unrar program, Winrar is very much free to use, check things before making such statements, 2nd of all theres plenty of ways to download the game, and the games requirements are very low, you dont need anything special out of your computer to run it.

Last but not least the installation is easy and smooth, you start the client, you wait for it to patch and then you launch and play, I am not sure what game exactly you have been instaling, but its not Runes of Magic.

• KartuhnKartuhn Member Posts: 139

For one thing it's a very large download with extensive patching required. Depending on your connection speed and a few other factors it can take some time to get it all done. Yes they could have used a Windows Zip but they didn't for whatever reason... WinRar is free to use (don't know if it's still limited trial tho. I bought it.)

As for specs... they are buried in the forums and difficult to find but here's the link.

us-forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php

I'm running it on a 1 meg wireless connection and have yet to upgrade from 1 gig of ram (lmao! Soon, soon!) I get lag like you wouldn't believe in towns due to pagefile swaps using my hard drive rather than ram due to my 1 gig (yeah it's funny) but the game runs quite fine (33-45 fps) even at full draws and maxxed effects. Oh yeah... did I mention my state of the art GeForce 6600GT vid card? I'll mention also that the graphics are very nice in this game.

• MBAngelMBAngel Member Posts: 12

"You can try WinRAR before buy" is stated clearly on the winrar site - http://www.rarlab.com/ so I did check my facts first - maybe you should check your facts before calling someone an idiot, jerk!.  Since I've already used the trial version on my pc, I can't use it again. 

I am downloading and installing runes of magic....  IT CLEARLY says Runes of Magic on the top of the launcher window!!!!!  and 5 hours later I am STILL updating it.  It's been on 34% for half an hour now...  the last chunk was up to 27% and that took about 20 mins...

So, it may have been easy for you, but for me and my husband, on 2 seperate pcs, it's been a total nightmare.  On my son's pc, at a different location, it runs very chunky, and his pc was built to DESIGN video games, so don't tell me it doesn't require more resources than wow.....

My husban's game updated faster, and the game started, and it shows only a funky graphics screen, so it was a total waste of time for him to dl it and install it, since they don't post the system requirements anywhere, and I can't find anything in the forum to discuss how to troubleshoot this issue...  he won't be able to play.

Our pcs both run wow extremely well, so this is NOT a wow clone, or at least the programmers don't have the same skill that Blizzard's programmers have. 

I checked a lot of the links that RoM has listed before stating that it only comes in rar format.  There was ONE link that offered the 5 chunks seperatly, and that is in another language. 

According to posts on the forum, you need "one of the cards off the top half of this list"  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2118-7.html to be able to play this game....

Originally posted by Kartuhn

For one thing it's a very large download with extensive patching required. Depending on your connection speed and a few other factors it can take some time to get it all done. Yes they could have used a Windows Zip but they didn't for whatever reason... WinRar is free to use (don't know if it's still limited trial tho. I bought it.)
    As for specs... they are buried in the forums and difficult to find but here's the link.
    us-forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php
    I'm running it on a 1 meg wireless connection and have yet to upgrade from 1 gig of ram (lmao! Soon, soon!) I get lag like you wouldn't believe in towns due to pagefile swaps using my hard drive rather than ram due to my 1 gig (yeah it's funny) but the game runs quite fine (33-45 fps) even at full draws and maxxed effects. Oh yeah... did I mention my state of the art GeForce 6600GT vid card? I'll mention also that the graphics are very nice in this game.

Just in case you missed it...

I may not have some state of the art pc, but they talk this up like you can just quit wow and go play this.  Just from the install side, I can see that that's just not true.  It would be in their best interests to actually post the system requirements BEFORE you spend 5 hours downloading it and another 5 hours installing and patching it. 

And if they're going to be so obvious about it being a wow clone, then they really need to get their programming act together, and make it easily installable - like all the other free games out there.

I expected a large download, and install time...  Wow takes 5 hours IF you have all the discs handy and you pay attention.  I would expect a wow clone to take a similar amount of time.  But this whole process seems buggy, and the rar thing totally pissed me off. 

I'm STILL updating, btw....

The updates are many and I'm sure they'll be updating the client download to include the fixes soon but you have to remember it's still in Beta, albeit Open Bete. The only references I've found by the RoM devs to WoW is that they "have many similarities in the UI" and I've never heard them claim to be a "Clone" although some people do make the claim in these forums. It's definitely not WoW.

A few things that may help you out might be some simple "maintenance". Defrag the HD, Defrag the registry, optimize the registry, add some RAM. Programs can found quite for FREE to do most of the above. NtRegopt for one... CCleaner for another. Google em.

There are some issues with the game yet and they are working very hard to corret them. Due to the Chinese New Year there will be a small delay in fixes but the game is scheduled to go full release on April 19th. The cash shop items are being balanced and I have to give them credit for actually listening to their players input on everything so far. The game is quite fun to play and has a casual feel to it. I do hope it all begins to gel for you and maybe I'll see you in game...Osha (pve) server for me.

• maxnrosymaxnrosy Member Posts: 608
    Originally posted by MBAngel

I have downloaded and installed a number of games, including wow and it's various upgrades. This is by far the number one most fugged up process I've ever gone through.
    First... it downloads in rar format... Then you have to BUY a decent program to unzip it. IT'S A WINDOWS CLIENT!!! WHY ARE YOU NOT USING THE BUILT IN ZIPPER???
    I've spent 4 hours so far updating, and it keeps stopping. I wait and wait, and finally it'll chunk off another 5% or so.
    I'm not even done updating and I'm already so angry at this game I could spit nails.
    I moved the launcher/news window, and my mouse stuck to it, and it moved off the screen.... My pc is lagging just installing it...
    I don't see any where on the site what the system requirements are. So I don't even know yet if this is going to play on my pc that runs wow beautifully.
    How do you expect to get any of wow's players over here with the system requirements this game seems to take??? You can't claim to be a wow clone and then require 5 times the requirements, and honestly expect to get any of those people over here. That and the pvp rules and you start losing potential players immediately, before they're even logged in. I'm not a pvper, and the harsh rules about pvp actually encouraged me to try this, but if I can't even get it installed...
    You're sure not gonna get me to buy any diamonds, and I'm one of those people who feel that if I like the game, and I'm getting decent entertainment from it, I should support the developers by buying cash shop items.
    This is ridiculous... You better get it together, and write some decent code before you go out of "beta" people....  I was looking forward to trying this game, but I am so screaming mad at just the download/install/update process I just can't see this even being worth my time.

1st winrar trail still works after its expired. just close the popup window and do what you normally do.

I beta tested wow and ill assure you that it was worse than this to get patches ect. it did take a few years for blizzard to get their torrent right..

Keep in mind this game is in its BETA stage. when the game is fully released there will be a high chance the download will include most of the patching your experiencing.

Also this game is NOT a wow clone. the similarities start and end with its UI. the grafics are both cartoony in nature but have a different art direction.

due to its beta fase please do not expect the whole game to be completely functional . they are still translating, fixing typos ect. so dont freak out if you find an item  thats not in english.

One final piece of advice. If you CANNOT tolerate the time it takes the game to patch, simply run the game at night and sleep it over. its 100 times better than staring at the progression bar, come to the fourms to complain and stress yourself for no apparent reason.

Watching Fanbois drop their soap in a prison full of desperate men.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I may not have some state of the art pc, but they talk this up like you can just quit wow and go play this.  Just from the install side, I can see that that's just not true.  It would be in their best interests to actually post the system requirements BEFORE you spend 5 hours downloading it and another 5 hours installing and patching it. 
    And if they're going to be so obvious about it being a wow clone, then they really need to get their programming act together, and make it easily installable - like all the other free games out there.
    I expected a large download, and install time...  Wow takes 5 hours IF you have all the discs handy and you pay attention.  I would expect a wow clone to take a similar amount of time.  But this whole process seems buggy, and the rar thing totally pissed me off. 
    I'm STILL updating, btw....

In case you haven't noticed, the game is STILL IN BETA! You seem to expect everything to be smooth and finished, while it's obvious you and your family have shitty outdated crappy computers.

It sounds like you have a lousy internet connection too. I have only 1 mbit, and wow does NOT take 5 hours to install from disks + updating, far from it. I didn't have any problems installing this game either.

And one who claims to be experienced with downloading/installing games who doesn't know winrar can be used forever, without buying it? Not to mention the shitload of freeware progs that unrars just as fine. No one who's experienced with downloading just about anything from the internet, is unfamiliar with winrar or similar programs.

I did SAY that they need to get their programming together before full release... 

So, just because there are winrar programs out there, free or otherwise (because nothing is free) I should have to install something ELSE just to play the game?

Yeah, it was frustrating, and I'm sorry, I think some people who have

played wow for years

read these forums and come to believe as I did that this game is a wow clone

can't find system requirements on the site, as I couldn't

and expect this game to install on their system just because it runs wow nicely - should be warned that this game does require way more resources than wow.  Wow runs on an onboard built in video card, on dial up, with a cheap porcessor and not enuff ram to surf.  This game obviously takes more than that. 

I personally had more issues installing THIS game than any other I have ever played.  You may personally know of others that were more difficult, in your opinion...  but I have never had to install any other program just to install the video game.  I hate adding unzippers to my system, I have issues removing them every time.

And now that I'm actually done updating, and in the game, I find that it's clunkier than I expected from these reviews as well.  Now yeah, I am just in the starting zone, and it IS JUST BETA...  but in spite of all the irritating struggle to get this installed, I'm still giving it a try. 

But it's posted here for posterity...  it may be in beta, but they better get that part strightened out before release... namely system requirements on the site, and a much smoother method of installing it. 

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Winrar for me, just keeps saying "30 days on your trial" and never goes down. Also you could use 7zip to unzip .rar packages.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

I did SAY that they need to get their programming together before full release... 
    So, just because there are winrar programs out there, free or otherwise (because nothing is free) I should have to install something ELSE just to play the game?
    Yeah, it was frustrating, and I'm sorry, I think some people who have

played wow for years

read these forums and come to believe as I did that this game is a wow clone

can't find system requirements on the site, as I couldn't

and expect this game to install on their system just because it runs wow nicely - should be warned that this game does require way more resources than wow.  Wow runs on an onboard built in video card, on dial up, with a cheap porcessor and not enuff ram to surf.  This game obviously takes more than that. 
    I personally had more issues installing THIS game than any other I have ever played.  You may personally know of others that were more difficult, in your opinion...  but I have never had to install any other program just to install the video game.  I hate adding unzippers to my system, I have issues removing them every time.
    And now that I'm actually done updating, and in the game, I find that it's clunkier than I expected from these reviews as well.  Now yeah, I am just in the starting zone, and it IS JUST BETA...  but in spite of all the irritating struggle to get this installed, I'm still giving it a try. 
    But it's posted here for posterity...  it may be in beta, but they better get that part strightened out before release... namely system requirements on the site, and a much smoother method of installing it. 

because you just showed the rest of us you lack the skill to click on a link posted TWICE. ill be nice and post the requirements here.

These were made during Closed Beta, so they may be inaccurate, but not much has changed graphically except for some optimization.

Originally posted by Arcie: http://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=12156

Slight editing done.

Minimum Requirements

Operation System: Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Higher, or Windows Vista

CPU: AMD 2500 + or above INTE Pentium 4 - 2.0GHz

Memory: 512MB

Video Card*: Direct X 9 compatible Graphic Card w/128mb Memory Nvidia Geforce FX 5700, **ATi Radeon 9600 (someone confirmed running it at minimum settings on an ATI Radeon 9550 SE)

Intel Integrated Support:

Chipsets: Intel 915, 945, 946, Q963, G31, Q33, Q35

Core Models: Intel GMA 950, 3000, X3000, X3100, X3500, X4

Hard disk space: 4GB

DirectX:*** 9.0c

*Integrated Intel GPUs have issues with games. They are designed for economy not performance and cause issues with games. There is a good chance the game wont run on Intel GPUs.

**The only requirements we could find listed the ATI Radeon 6200 which doesnt actually exist. The 9600 is the equivilant of the GeForce 5700 so we will go with this for now.

***This Spec doesn't mean what version of DX you have installed, it means which version your video card Supports, but you still need to install the latest version. I.E: you can have DX10 but your card is only DX9c, DX10 features will not work.

The game does not require much more than what wow requires. and they did specify that intergrated grafic cards will pose issues.

being a BETA PLAYER from wow when it released in 2004 i can safely say this game is pretty stable and polished for its state. wow had TONS of issues during its beta.

ONCE again about the winrar issue. ITS BETA!!!! that does not mean that the final product will be released in winrar format. do not assume. if your concerned about these issues DO WHAT EVERY BETA PLAYER IS SUPPOSED TO DO. REPORT YOUR CONCERNS AND BUGS. By doing so they can see what can frustrate an inpatient person and work to fix those issues.

If you have been buying over the counter store computers. Dont expect much from them. if you think wow is the guideline of the requirements needed for a computer, you have somthing else comming.

as of now wrath of the lich king does require MORE minimum requirements than this game. however due to low requirements wow can be ran on any computer which is why its so popular.

But most gamer play more than 1 game on their computer. I may play wow and these mmos. but i also play Crysis. which means i do have a beefy computer.  its built for gaming. Not no over the counter generic computer sold at your local walmart .

If you are aiming for this game because people claim its a wow clone. it is obious you are trying to save money. Remember this game is Free to play. as long as the company can profit off the item mall the game will recive more and more free content. If you plan not to pay items from the mall you still can aquire those said items for the exchainge of coin ingame

just expect it to be more expensive so you may have to farm a bit for em.

If you have started to play you will notice some big differences in this game and wow. there are some similarities but by all means its not a clone.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by sanders01

Winrar for me, just keeps saying "30 days on your trial" and never goes down. Also you could use 7zip to unzip .rar packages.

I ended up going with 7 zip and it worked fine once I did.......

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Not a single PC game exists that doesn't require you to have "something ELSE" installed. The bare minimum is an operating system, then there's drivers, etc. And there are loads of games that requires additional programs installed, nothing unique about that at all.

Nothing is free? Do you really know anything about computers and internet at all? Ever heard about freeware? Or open source projects? Wouldn't surprise me if you now starts babbling about illegal copies...

ok to top this off. I did read in your 1st post you READ THESE FORUMS AND CAME TO CONCLUSION THAT THIS GAME IS A WOW CLONE.

After reading this  you should have been 100% completely aware of the sticky posts on the top of the fourm page.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/351/view/forums/thread/211999/Questions-for-the-RoM-Devs.html

This is the mmorpg thread giving a chance for potiential players to ask the dev,s to ask questions as the devs did visit these forums long ago.

The devs did answer a similar question about instalation and how they are working on it and what to expect when the game goes live.

OH and dont worry the link is not a keylogger. this is not wow people are not trying to steal your account.

but  if your very paranoid just go to the thread page by clicking general discussion then click on the very 1st sticky thread.

• gordunkgordunk Member CommonPosts: 114

first of all, winrar's trial is the biggest joke in the world

I've been running the same 40 day trial(never uninstalled or redownloaded) for over a year

2nd, the reason they would use WinRaR is because it offers a far better compression rate than WinZip.

3rd, it takes just as long to patch WoW if you haven't patched in a while.

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

I totally agree with the op here.   I have had to answer the "what region" prompt 6 times now an am at 10 percent progress in the patching process.    This means I have to baby sit the patching.

make that 7 times... i just got asked again while posting this.

I'm fearing that something is caught in a continuous loop because I keep getting asked the same questions and the progress has been at 10 percent for nearly an hour.

EDIT:   it finally finished.  

• v4mp1r3v4mp1r3 Member Posts: 48

OP is the reason people hate WoW players.

Stop comparing a game that is in open beta to a game that has been out for 5 years. It's retarded. F2P Vs P2P, for one, who has the bigger budget? Seeing as WoW is in like, 10b of profit? I think they have more to work with.

That first WoW installation, how much did you pay for it? How long had the game been in developement for prior to your purchase?

I bet one of those values is infinitly higher than your related experience with Runes Of Magic.

You are being so closed minded, whiny and ignorant, that reading your posts is really, really annoying.

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461

I feel very sorry for whoever knows you out in the real world. this level of dickheadedness cannot extent only to internet forums. Especially your parents, poor things, knowing what a shit faced snivvling person they created, and the overwhelming sense of idiocy.

I think everyone has all the major bases covered, you just needed a nice personal attack. Well it cant be classes as that since you need a personality but...whatever. GTFO

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Hah, I love your stupidity! And because I love that so much, I'm going to help you out with all your questions! You won't even have to thank me! ;)

1) .rar compresses way better than .zip, and you don't have to buy winrar to use it, read the website before claiming that they force you to buy anything. ;)

2) Annoying patchers are the meta of mmo's. I actually spent 15 hours patching lotro a few days ago...

3) Are yous erious you can't find the system requirements? they're at the downloads page! http://www.runesofmagic.com/en/downloads,id3,runes_magic_closed_beta_client.html How could you miss that?! And I'm pretty sure the reqs are about the same as for WoW...

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• melpomeni_mandymelpomeni_mandy Member UncommonPosts: 14

I can understand some of the installation woes. I was able to download the entire game via the client and when I click the desktop icon I get the error "Can't download version.txt" and that's it. Talk about confusing o.O

• I haven't read the whole thread but yes....a nightmare to dl and set up.

I have in fact not managed to get the game to run at all and have removed it from my computer.

I may be asking for too much but in all other mmo's i've played , you dl, patch, set up your acct, login and play.

/shrug

• MatchuMatchu Member UncommonPosts: 24

Well as an impartial set up remarks in this heated thread...This is the first MMO that I have downloaded and it is currently nearing 24 hours to complete... This seems a little extreme, but at the same time I'm not really bothered, as I have time to wait

Must say I'm looking forward to seeing what this game has to offer.

• SorcerousKhanSorcerousKhan Member UncommonPosts: 164

In the OP's defense, I was a bit taken aback by the installer being contained in a .rar file too. Being a seasoned PC gamer, though, I just fired up 7zip (which is completely free, forever, by the way) and unrared it.

I had no difficulties in downloading or installing the game client.

My only hiccup was when I realized I had to activate my Runes of Magic subscription on my Frogster account before I could use it in-game. Even that only took about 10 seconds to figure out, though.

/shrug

• MatchuMatchu Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Matchu

Well as an impartial set up remarks in this heated thread...This is the first MMO that I have downloaded and it is currently nearing 24 hours to complete... This seems a little extreme, but at the same time I'm not really bothered, as I have time to wait
    Must say I'm looking forward to seeing what this game has to offer.

Well after the download was complete the installation failed...sent the chaps an email at support and was told that the download has some corrupted files due to aggressive Firewall/Anti-Virus software....they told me to try again with the Firewall/Anti-Virus software disabled.....

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

I have not had any of the issues posted here, at all. I downloaded it, installed, patched and was playing hitch free in about an hour.

*shrug*

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me