Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They claim this is a free game

Mark701Mark701 Member Posts: 108

I doubt this game will be free. Voyage Century claimed they were free until they began selling upgrades for real money. Don't be fooled.

Comments

• ArkGraveArkGrave Member Posts: 21

lol it's no wonder there taking there sweet time on the open beta release

• DeadlyMageDeadlyMage Member Posts: 543

HOW ELSE DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO MAKE MONEY

• NakisaNakisa Member Posts: 2

Florensia is completely f2p - the client is f2p, there is no monthly fee or subscription. The item shop will be introduced after the OB.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

lmao...i thought this post was just a joke or something but the OP seems pretty serious. All F2P games have a cash shop of some sort and they are all usually games that require alot of grinding cause they usually sell some sort of increased xp item.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

Item shop, enough said. I'd rather go p2p because I end up paying less for those games and the community seems better as a whole on p2p games.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• AznniceguyAznniceguy Member Posts: 1

Every F2P game I know of has a cash shop. However every cash shop isn't made equal. =P

Sometimes games, like Voyage Century, start selling items that cause imbalance. I don't think things like weapons and armor should be sold in Cash Shops, especially if they're damn strong.

What the OP may have meant was that Florensia might be such a game, although there isn't anything that could lead to such a conclusion.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

im sick of seeing ppl complaine baout RMT (real money trades) on free to play games.. you dont HAVE to buy them. You CAN play without them.

A F2P game needs to make money somehow and since its well free they have cashshop dont like it then fork out the money monthly for a game

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• FaituFaitu Member Posts: 90

I do understand that such games need a source of income, but it's just not fair calling themselves "Free" when those who don't pay or use their shops experience something more similar to a Demo game than a Free game per se.

See MapleStory for example, they claim to be a free game, but it is more than obvious that you won't ever get over level 100 unless you buy those exp booster cash items. So, after all, there is a restriction, even being indrect, on the gameplay of those who don't pay in comparison to those who do. Basically, those who don't pay, play a "demo" version of the game, in which they can't reach a certain level, aren't able to learn some skills and choose from some classes.

And of course, if there aren't any "free" players that go to such servers to play for "free", no one will even bother buying shop items. The amount of free players they have do affect the amount of income they get, not directly, of course, but who will those premium players bully when they get their so wanted cash items?

• Andy379Andy379 Member Posts: 14

I play this game.... so far the cash shop hasnt intoduced items that raise XP all there is is items that help you upgrade equips, stat resets and extra gear like hats and such

This game really is

FREE TO PLAY

Like all other f2p games out there

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Do you know why? :)

• QazzaQY2KQazzaQY2K Member Posts: 2

It's OpenBeta you donno if it's going to cost when it's final

• phatpeteyphatpetey Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by Nakisa

Florensia is completely f2p - the client is f2p, there is no monthly fee or subscription. The item shop will be introduced after the OB.

The itemshop was released during the OB, like the people of Florensia announced.

• QazzaQY2KQazzaQY2K Member Posts: 2

Well i treyed it out now for about 1½ day.. got Land lvl 10 and Sea lvl 8 .,.. so far seem very playable and free. Comunity seems ok.. A bit uptigt but that's just a few. Most are fun and nice to speend time on. I can right recomend to give it a few hours to try and have fun with. ;D

• phatpeteyphatpetey Member Posts: 323

Hehe, Qazza

You might love it now but when you reach level 20 you will see how boring the game is. It's always the same: get your quest -> completeyour quests -> grind till the next level -> get new quests ->...

But if you don't mind grinding this might be a good game for you, and they have pretty intresting updates coming up so this is actually a pretty good periode to join the game.

• dma1dma1dma1dma1 Member Posts: 82

just like any other F2P game they have a ITEM SHOP which you have to use real money(Dollers) to get thos items

as for that the rest of the game is FREE NO MONTHLY  PAYMENTS

• libzlibz Member Posts: 1

Its only the bets you never know what could happen when it releases.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Mark701

I doubt this game will be free. Voyage Century claimed they were free until they began selling upgrades for real money. Don't be fooled.

Flash news! every game company will ask you for money sooner or later. You know everybody need to pay the bills, and an online game have a lot of this. If it is free to play it means you can play for free, thats it, download client and play, ¿you wanna be competitive? Pay some money, come on, they have families to maintain.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by alakram

Originally posted by Mark701

Flash news! every game company will ask you for money sooner or later. You know everybody need to pay the bills, and an online game have a lot of this. If it is free to play it means you can play for free, thats it, download client and play, ¿you wanna be competitive? Pay some money, come on, they have families to maintain.

As Yoda would say: "To Alakram you listen." I don't know why we have to go through this "It's not really free-to-play" stuff every single time one of these games comes out.

• HistoryBuffHistoryBuff Member Posts: 17

I don't get why people get so angry over games where those who pay get more advantages. That's life kiddies. The one with the gold makes the rules.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Let's make this real simple.

There is no such thing as a "free" game.  No one creates a game for you to play for free.

Sure, they might put a hook that lets you play for a while at no charge, however they are going to put in content upgrades of some sort to 'encourage' you to send them some real world cash. Its how they stay in business.

Stop trying to get something for nothing, it just doesn't exist in this world..

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Shizuru19Shizuru19 Member Posts: 7

I haven't played this particular game yet, I am currently downloading it to try it out.

I can tell you, however, that there are SEVERAL games, where-in the cash shop items are tradable for in game currency- meaning every player has the ability to get their hands on premium items.

Sure, it might make the people with real life cash to throw away have an easier time coming by in game currency, but since you can get your hands on them you have just as much ability to purchase, use, and resell the items for in game currency.

You can easily get as much money as the next person, and enjoy the "premium items" as much as anyone in these games-

Aeria Games(Shaiya, Last Chaos, Dream of Mirror, Turf Battles etc) does this, heck, they have silly quizes and promotions all the time so you can get points for their cash shop on top of all of the items being tradable in game.

NetGames (Neosteam, Tantra Online, WYD) does this.

Perfect World games do this (Perfect World, Celestial Destroyer, EtherSaga),

Talisman Online does this (don't bother with this game, however, unless your a massochist who likes bad/slow support in chinglish).

And one cute 2D game called Destiny Online also does this.

Tthose are just ones that I am aware of. I generally won't play a game unless this is possible.

I found a study saying that 30% of profits made from subscription fees go into maintenance and operations costs of a P2P game. Lets look at that for a minute. Take a $15/mnth subscription. That's $4.5 per user per month. Lets say the servers have to maintain 1 million people per month. That would suggest that 4.5 million out of your subscription alone went to pay for server space, internet, in game support staff, technical staff, etc etc. Of course, $15/mnth sub is going to cover that and more. But what about free games, they still have to pay for all of those things even if they have less users so a smaller amount of servers and bandwidth, but they have no monthly sub guaranteed to cover it. That money has to be made with cash shop items. Probably most of these games are paying at least $4-5k/mnth (probably more to pay for developers making new content, rent for wherever these people are working, phone lines, etc etc.).

Bottom line, everyone else here is right, you can't expect a company to dish out thousands of dollars without getting anything in return. That would make them idiots. If you prefer to have to give your earnings to a company on a monthly basis, in return for access to all of its content and probably a bit higher support. Well, that's your prerogative. If you want to play a free-to-play game, where you let the people buying cash shop items pay for the keep, and just have to work a little harder in game to buy premium items from those people, that's not horribly unfair either.  That's how it works, the people who are buying from the premium shop are paying for themselves, for you, and for every other player who plays but doesn't support the game monetarily.

• Tujin199Tujin199 Member Posts: 2

omg... item malls have like cool costumes dude which you can get from players who have no use for them or just selling them at a fair price so those players who spent irl to sell this stuff to others..soooo...yeah tht answers your question. suck it grind really hard and save ya money in game and BOOM you got ya self cash/item mall item end of story -_-

• Andy379Andy379 Member Posts: 14

Unfortunatly this is one of the better F2P games but it still doesnt make it good >.>

so far im lvl 35 and i ask myslef why do i continue to play if im never gonna make it to 36?

the item mall in this game is way over powered comepred to the free basics. IF your really Lucky then you could get a wepon to +4 if you try for +5 IT WILL BREAK but with a certian cash shop item people can easily get a wepon to +10  and in this game +1 can make a very large difference   

• sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485

Why do people fuss about these games , they are free to play . but if you want more then you pay for the extras.. would you work for free? not !!

• FaituFaitu Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by sanedor

Why do people fuss about these games , they are free to play . but if you want more then you pay for the extras.. would you work for free? not !!

They are not free. One thing cannot be partially free, if there is some cost involved, it already stops being free. We're not whinning that these games should be 100% free and that their workers should gain no profit, we're saying that the use of the terminology "Free to Play" in games like this is absurdly wrong. Playing such games is as using "Shareware" or "Demo" software. They're not Freeware, but many of them can be used for as long as you want. The thing about shareware is that if you want to own the software, you have to pay. It's no different in these games, they just use the term "Free" to lure more people and have them believe they don't have to pay anything to experience the full game. But as soon as those people start playing, they notice that what the ads had them believe was obviously wrong.