Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Helping the economy with Marijuana?

Comments

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Dekron 
    You have absolutely no idea of the chemical properties of hemp that is processed for smoking. It is much worse than cigarettes and does contain mind-altering chemicals. Get off the pipe and learn something.

And masturbating makes you blind.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Vemoi

I am not arguing one way or another but
    Marijuana 0....That ought to raise a flag. I don't believe that for one minute. Tobacco kills 400,000 and marijuana smoke going into the lungs does nothing! Not one incident of someone toking up, crashing and dieing!?

Here's the big question.

IF marijuana is causing deaths, why isn't it being documented? Police and hospitals keep things on file. The only statistic I've seen was hospital emergency room visits for people in connection with marijuana, but nothing as to the results or severity of the visit (car crash, etc)

I would wonder that too, but shouldn't it be easy to find this information out, just as easily as it is to look up cigarette/cigar/chewing tobacco and cancer incidents?

The big difference between marijuana smoke and cigarette/cigar/chewing tobacco is all the chemicals they put in those products, while most people who smoke a joint will have nothing in it except.. weed. A natural HERB. Companies put cyanide, arsenic, embalming fluid, rat poison and tons of nicotine spikes in their stuff. That's why cigarettes cause cancer. The simple eye just sees two people smoking and figures its bad smoke, not knowing the hundreds of chemicals in one that are added, and none added with the other.

Studies show people who are high drive slower and more carefully than with alcohol. That's studies and facts. I didn't make it up. The studies show people who smoke weed are more alert than driving with alcohol. They are likely to drive slower, reducing accidents.

Again, if there is someone smokes a joint and hits a building or kills someone, don't you think police document that in reports from the scene? They sure document when they pull someone over for a joint when they go to court. So all of a sudden, they can't figure out that someone smoked a joint, crashed and listed that as cause of accident? I don't buy that either.

So is it a conspiracy? Is that what you're suggesting? Cops are covering up marijuana crashes at the scene or the reports are getting lost on their way to Washington cause someone is omitting them.

Which is it?

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

I like how I am the only one that has actually posted the numbers on why doing this wouldn't help much of anything...numbers based on our national debt and the projected profits from the legalization of Marijuana...yet the entirety of this thread is nothing but emotion based arguments from people who either love or hate the drug.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Originally posted by Man1ac

You have absolutely no idea of the chemical properties of hemp that is processed for smoking. It is much worse than cigarettes and does contain mind-altering chemicals. Get off the pipe and learn something.

And masturbating makes you blind.

Cigarettes (Legal by the U.S. Government):

Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 different chemicals. At least 43 are known carcinogens (cause cancer in humans).

Cigarettes are one of few products which can be sold legally which can harm and even kill you over time if used as intended.

Currently there are ongoing lawsuits in the USA which aim to hold tobacco companies responsible for the effects of smoking on the health of long term smokers.

• Benzene (petrol additive)A colourless cyclic hydrocarbon obtained from coal and petroleum, used as a solvent in fuel and in chemical manufacture - and contained in cigarette smoke. It is a known carcinogen and is associated with leukaemia.
    • Formaldehyde (embalming fluid)A colourless liquid, highly poisonous, used to preserve dead bodies - also found in cigarette smoke. Known to cause cancer, respiratory, skin and gastrointestinal problems.
    • Ammonia (toilet cleaner)Used as a flavouring, frees nicotine from tobacco turning it into a gas, found in dry cleaning fluids.
    • Acetone (nail polish remover)Fragrant volatile liquid ketone, used as a solvent, for example, nail polish remover - found in cigarette smoke.
    • Tar Particulate matter drawn into lungs when you inhale on a lighted cigarette. Once inhaled, smoke condenses and about 70 per cent of the tar in the smoke is deposited in the smoker's lungs.
    • Nicotine (insecticide/addictive drug)One of the most addictive substances known to man, a powerful and fast-acting medical and non-medical poison. This is the chemical which causes addiction.
    • Carbon Monoxide (CO) (car exhaust fumes)An odourless, tasteless and poisonous gas, rapidly fatal in large amounts - it's the same gas that comes out of car exhausts and is the main gas in cigarette smoke, formed when the cigarette is lit. Others you may recognize are :
    • Arsenic (rat poison), Hydrogen Cyanide (gas chamber poison)

Spit (Chew) Tobacco (Legal by the U.S. Government):

Spit tobacco is a type of tobacco product that is placed inside the mouth (referred to as a “wad”). This gives the user a continuous high from the nicotine.

Spit tobacco is sold in three forms:

--CHEW: a leafy form of tobacco sold in pouches. Users keep the chew between the cheek and gums for several hours at a time.

--PLUG: chew tobacco that has been pressed into a brick.

--SNUFF: a powdered, moist form of tobacco sold in tins. Users put the snuff between the lower lip or cheek and the gum. As well, some users will sniff it. Using snuff is also called “dipping.”
    Many people think using spit tobacco is safer than smoking. However, just because there is no smoke does not mean it is safe.

A person who uses eight to 10 dips or chews a day receives the same amount of nicotine as a heavy smoker who smokes 30 to 40 cigarettes a day.

Spit tobacco is made from a mixture of tobacco, nicotine, sweeteners, abrasives, salts and chemicals. It contains over 3,000 chemicals including about 28 known carcinogens. Some of the harmful chemicals in spit tobacco are:

• Polonium 210 (nuclear waste)
    • Tobacco-specific N-nitrosamines or TSNAs (cancer-causing agents only found in tobacco)
    • Formaldehyde (embalming fluid)
    • Nicotine
    • Cadmium (used in car batteries)
    • Cyanide
    • Arsenic
    • Benzene
    • Lead

Like smoking tobacco, spit tobacco affects the cardiovascular system and may be associated with heart disease, stroke and high blood pressure. Long-term effects include leukoplakia, tooth abrasion, gum recession, gum and tooth disease, loss of bone in the jaw, yellowing of teeth and chronic bad breath.

Other health consequences of using spit tobacco include cancer of the mouth (including the lip, tongue, cheek and floor and roof of the mouth) and throat.

This is allowed by the U.S. Government daily. And marijuana isn't. This doesn't seem strange to any of you non-tokers? Now who's really high and on drugs?

• frodusfrodus Member Posts: 2,396

Drugs and Validation

Trade in material assumptions for spiritual facts and make permanent progress.

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

Its silly that pot hasn't been legalized.  You can find the stuff just about anyhwere, it isn't going away, and all kinds of different people from every race, age group, and socio-economic background use the stuff.  It's so widespread that decriminalizing it isn't going to cause a sudden influx of users. 

This is just another conservative taboo.  When are these people going to wake up and understand Americans at large do not like others in their personal affairs or legislating morality.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

Originally posted by popinjay

There has never been a recorded death due to marijuana at any time in US history.

That's quite misleading. I've known one person who died from lung cancer and they only smoked pot.

I used to work in law enforcement. I've seen several deaths due to auto accidents which resulted from the person at fault being high on pot. That site is complete bullshit.

I know people who have never had a ciggarette in their lives but died of lung cancer because he worked in a mine.  I am not saying marijuana is 100% safe, im just stating that there are other factors that can affect someones lungs.

I have seen people get into accidents because they were drunk or plain stupid.  I dont understand why intoxicated driving is even considered in the debate on weather pot should be legalized or not, people will do it if its legal or not.  Thats like saying you need to have atleast x IQ in order to get a lisence because stupid people are more likely to cause deadly accidents.

In response to "But their kids are all fucked up":

Its the same mentality everyone gets once they reach a certain age, oh my god whats wrong with todays generation, or oh my god kids these days are so stupid, lets face it its an ongoing and endless cycle.

In Response to the Hemp comment:

Yes because a plant has to be processed before it can be applied to any industrial use.  And yes right now its illegal so the only was to get it is through the blackmarket which isnt the safest way to get things.

If you are seriously concerned about your lungs the answer is quit simple: get a vaporizer or eat the marijuana.

Studies have shown it is less mentally damaging then alcohol and tobacco combined, and that is multiple studies not just one, all by the way from private institutions because the goverment would never release study results like these.

Honeslty i think its time to get passed all this ignorance.

And no i dont think legalizing pot would have any effect on the economy but it is an interesting idea.

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

I used to work in law enforcement. I've seen several deaths due to auto accidents which resulted from the person at fault being high on pot. That site is complete bullshit.

Several? I've read several reports of auto accidents, that resulted in death, because the driver was eating a donut while drinving. Maybe we should put people in prison for eating donuts AT HOME.

I am completely in favor of punishing people appropriately for jeopardizing the safety of others. I am totally against driving under the influence of ANY mind altering substance. The fact that Marijuana is illegal has absolutely nothing to do with driver safety.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by CrimsonBeast
    I'm not questioning you here ,but how did you know the driver was high? Did the car smell or something?

Yes. And he was found to have marijuana in his system after a urinalysis.

Originally posted by DailyBuzz

Several? I've read several reports of auto accidents, that resulted in death, because the driver was eating a donut while drinving. Maybe we should put people in prison for eating donuts AT HOME.

I am completely in favor of punishing people appropriately for jeopardizing the safety of others. I am totally against driving under the influence of ANY mind altering substance. The fact that Marijuana is illegal has absolutely nothing to do with driver safety.

You know, I was going to respond to the complete idiocy of this argument, but, then I realized, it's useless. You people have no reasoning skills except the copying and pasting of biased studies in support of legalizing weed.

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

You know, I was going to respond to the complete idiocy of this argument, but, then I realized, it's useless. You people have no reasoning skills except the copying and pasting of biased studies in support of legalizing weed.

It's not often that I agree with a conservative, becuase in general, they are dead wrong. However, in this particular case, one hits the nail square on the head.

Buckley Jr. on Marijuana

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

As long as you agree alcohol should be illegal too (in theory).

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• What year did this occur in?
    • What state did this occur in?
    • What city, town, suburb did this occur in?
    • Who administered the test? Was it a rank and file officer or a line supervisor? What does your state's laws say about who's able to issue them? Did YOU do the test or where you just peeking?
    • What does a "positive test" for your department consist of? Do you know the ACTUAL legal levels or did you watch as the strip inside the specimen container changed from "green" to "red"?
    • Do you know how a custody chain of evidence works? Does the accused have a right to a direct sample of the urinalysis or only the results of it?
    • Why is there no official record of this happening?
    • If there is an official record of this happening, why was it not forwarded to the higher authorities or submitted in group statistics for that year?
    • If it was submitted, and was included in data for yearly statistics, why was it not released in any CDC or other government study?
    You can't give us ANY information other than "a guy" who "tested positive for a urinalysis"... after two of your postings?

What's the dealio, coolio? Do you work for MI-6 or something?

I'm not questioning you here ,but how did you know the driver was high? Did the car smell or something?

Here's the fishy part. The above poster asked you about a "driver" being high. You reply "he" was high and had it in his system.

But here is your original reply: "I used to work in law enforcement. I've seen several deaths due to auto accidents which resulted from the person at fault being high on pot. That site is complete bullshit."

Someone in a law enforcement capacity, who's seen several people do this, but only knows "he" (singular) was high. With as many as you've personally seen, you only think of one guy, and with very little info about that one.

A good idea to try and keep this fantasy story alive, would be to do some Google scans on how this actually works in the law enforcement community. What procedures are used when investigating an accident. You need to see if you can get ahold of some SOPs (that's Standard Operating Procedures) and then find out what the law says about how they are governed. It would also be helpful to know where those SOPs come from (In the case of NJ, it's Title 2C).

Also helpful is finding the authority who says when, where and how these tests can be issued and whether the person has a right to refuse or not. Only in a few states is having marijuana in your system testing positive grounds for charges. Since THC can be detected anywhere from 5-60 days with varying degrees by personage, build and diet, it is not admissible by the majority of states as definitive proof someone was operating a motor vehicle WHILE high. It could have been a holdover from smoking weed weeks earlier. Actual weed would have to be found ON scene. And in your "sightings", you fail to mention that, which would be a pretty good fact to put in there. But you knew all this, right?

A suggestion: Check out "High Times" magazine. They have a column where people actually write in and say they got busted for marijuana related things. There's even some traffic stops in there too. Maybe if you scan enough of them, you can piece together a good story then relay one of your many "personal" experiences that you witnessed to us all. I for one, can't wait to read it.

Sorry, but your sightings do not pass the scratch and sniff test, sir.

• CrimsonBeastCrimsonBeast Member UncommonPosts: 7

You know it stays in your system for a while after you smoke it right?

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

No offense to Daily Buzz but I know his reply only proves your statement even more...

But likewise people against the legalization of marijuana only post links to goverment biased studies.  I am not going to tell someone which studies to believe, or even to believe any at all.  You may also think were a bunch of loathsome assholes sitting in our parents basements hitting a bong all day, but thats not true, you barely if ever hear of a successfull man using marijuana, why?  Because if that knowledge got out to the public, his repuation is fucked (Michael Phelps anyone?).  But you do hear of the bum who lost his job, the crachwhore thats started out with a simple hit of a blunt or even the high school dropout, why? Because the goverment and ignorant people have to make an example out of somebody.

Maybe other stoners arent willing to reason but i am, you are correct in some aspects, such as it makes you very demotivated when your high and that sticks to some peoples personalities, but you must learn to overcome that if your going to use the substance.  Just as alcohol makes some violent,  marijuana makes you lazy.  Overcoming this is the differnce between a "responsible user" and an "abuser"

If you want to criticize us for our decisions by all means go ahead you have the right to your own opinion, all im asking for is a chance to be seen as something different, not as the stereotypical stoner.

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

That's part of debating.  Relaying information gathered from other sources to support a point.

Originally posted by Sabiancym

Several? I've read several reports of auto accidents, that resulted in death, because the driver was eating a donut while drinving. Maybe we should put people in prison for eating donuts AT HOME.

You know, I was going to respond to the complete idiocy of this argument, but, then I realized, it's useless. You people have no reasoning skills except the copying and pasting of biased studies in support of legalizing weed.

That's part of debating. Relaying information gathered from other sources to support a point.

That's the point, really. He's also been free to respond with unbiased "copied and pasted" studies as well, but has not provided one in this thread at any time. He's not provided one shred of data to back his position, unbaised OR biased. His proof has consisted of "Once upon a time, I knew a guy" and an interesting tidbit about his proximity to law enforcement (with nothing backing that up either). It isn't even a debate, really. Its one side presenting fact and common knowledge, and another side presenting rumor. (and God knows, you know he's been looking for info)

Marijuana is considerably less dangerous, proven by statistics countless times, than either alcohol, cigarettes or even common household aspirin. But yet, he'd ban the safer "drug" and keep the more harmful ones proven dangerous.

Unfortunately with some people, good facts and supportive documents just have a way of hampering a good argument :)

• sheeshsheesh Member Posts: 330

I'm not sure if this has already been said, but if they legalized it and were smart with it, it could be a good thing. There would be stores and people would trust the stores knowing their weed isn't laced. If there was a law where you COULDN"T smoke it during work or school, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Also, you sure can tell who the people are that haven't smoked in this thread lol.

• VishiAnandVishiAnand Member Posts: 239

legalizing it wont solve the problem. it will generate income as you had said. but the thing is, the underground black market will not be easily be run out of business by doing so. since taxes, permits and other fees from legalizing this drug will keep the cost of legal marijuana higher than that of Black Market's.

Also, its just an estimate. And doesnt necessarily mean that it will gonna be that way once we take the course of action you suggest.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

You know I am not sure they could ever legalize it.    You can grow the stuff yourself.   Nobody would buy it any longer from anyone else.   I am all for legalizing it though...because if they did I would grow it!

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Wait I thought alcohol fixes all problems. How can mary jane fix more than all?!?!?!?

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• HellsMajestyHellsMajesty Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Teala

You know I am not sure they could ever legalize it.    You can grow the stuff yourself.   Nobody would buy it any longer from anyone else.   I am all for legalizing it though...because if they did I would grow it!

so please explain how to dutch government still makes millions of euros from coffeeshops a year? of course some people would grow it but it is not an easy thing to do and takes a lot of time and effort to produce anything worth a smoke.

But i do however support legalization it would stop the government wasting money on trying to prevent people smoking it and would in turn make them money if they where taxing it. I dont think it would do any harm to people as a whole because its not the kind of thing that people do in excess and then go out and get in fights and commit petty crime like alcohol can make you. I just think its a bit pointless making it illegal because at the end of the day its not gonna kill you any quicker than cigarettes or alcohol and the effects arnt really dangerous.

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987
    Originally posted by HellsMajesty

Originally posted by Teala

so please explain how to dutch government still makes millions of euros from coffeeshops a year? of course some people would grow it but it is not an easy thing to do and takes a lot of time and effort to produce anything worth a smoke.

Nah. for those who can build a computer out there ( and I'm looking at most of yous ) can grow a f*cking plant.  

What is with people thinking its that difficult to cultivate crop?  Its a plant, its not a rocket.. water, sunlight (or artificial sunlight (CFL's)) good growing medium, and some neutrients, which are optional.

Growing it has been the best thing that I have ever invested time into.  Saves you a shit load of money, and you get a whole lot more for nothing. Not to mention its a great hobby.  At least I think so.  Its fun, you watch your creation, and see how life just seems to be so peacefull as a plant.  I have been planting for a certain number of years now (not only marijuana) doing landscaping, and regular potting.  Theres nothing more peacefull, perhaps even beautiful, on planet earth than plants.

I can have a plant grown, and budded from clone in about 3 and a half months. with a yeild of perhaps 2-3oz of buddah.. piff.  

So for all the marijuana smokers out there, I highly recommend growing it.  That is if you've got a place to grow it.  Plus, do a little research before you begin, its always helpfull to have a little insight on the situation before diving it.  Hands on experience, and learning from mistakes is the best way to grow the best plant.

Heres a good site to get started.

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

(and God knows, you know he's been looking for info)

Marijuana is considerably less dangerous, proven by statistics countless times, than either alcohol, cigarettes or even common household aspirin.

I have plenty of information to post, but if you read above, I said I am done. You are not debaters, you are bickering cry babies who would simply skew the information with your tears.

Now, just for fun, here is a funny little news article just released yesterday regarding the link of marijuana to "aggressive" testicular cancer. Seems you have a 70% increased risk of getting your nuts cut off than I do. Enjoy.

news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090209/hl_hsn/marijuanalinkedtoaggressivetesticularcancer

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29099116/

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7869709.stm

www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.aspx

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/138372.php

www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/09/marijuana-may-raise-testi_n_165192.html

www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE5181BP20090209

www.news-medical.net/

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

(and God knows, you know he's been looking for info)

Marijuana is considerably less dangerous, proven by statistics countless times, than either alcohol, cigarettes or even common household aspirin.

I have plenty of information to post, but if you read above, I said I am done. You are not debaters, you are bickering cry babies who would simply skew the information with your tears.

Now, just for fun, here is a funny little news article just released yesterday regarding the link of marijuana to "aggressive" testicular cancer. Seems you have a 70% increased risk of getting your nuts cut off than I do. Enjoy.

news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090209/hl_hsn/marijuanalinkedtoaggressivetesticularcancer

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29099116/

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7869709.stm

www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.aspx

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/138372.php

www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/09/marijuana-may-raise-testi_n_165192.html

www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE5181BP20090209

www.news-medical.net/

So if something causes cancer it should be illegal?

The fact that something might cause cancer is proper justification to relinquish self-ownership? This is how we go straight to socialized medicine and every other form of tyranny. In fact, it is this world view that has brought us as far along as we have gotten already.

Let others argue irrelevant statistics with you, I'll stick with the principles of liberty and self ownership which few here seem to care about.