Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online NYC Comic-Con Footage

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I am a bit unsettled by this. Like Champions it looks a wee bit too action like, with stafing and jumping. I dunno, hopefully it does not mean a too shallow game without story and depth. Guess we have to see.

Another note... tbh, I am always quite disturbed by people who play evil. For me, playing a computer game means a way of escapism. I try to do what I can not do in RL: fight for goodness, work for a better world, save those who are weak. If that is my fantasy of how I wanted to be, then what drives someone to play evil? Does he want to be evil in dreams? I totally dont get it. For me it is sick. Sorry. I mean, how is killing people for evil plans a spare time fun? You play KZ overseer as fun, too? Sorry to be that moralistic here, and you may say WTH, its just a pixel guy in a clown costume, and maybe I am too much of a carebear... but why? Why do we need evil playing in games? Dont we all want a better world not a worse one??

Kinda makes me sad to know some enjoy such fantasies of pillaging and making people suffer. =.=

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Elikal

Another note... tbh, I am always quite disturbed by people who play evil. For me, playing a computer game means a way of escapism. I try to do what I can not do in RL: fight for goodness, work for a better world, save those who are weak. If that is my fantasy of how I wanted to be, then what drives someone to play evil? Does he want to be evil in dreams? I totally dont get it. For me it is sick. Sorry. I mean, how is killing people for evil plans a spare time fun? You play KZ overseer as fun, too? Sorry to be that moralistic here, and you may say WTH, its just a pixel guy in a clown costume, and maybe I am too much of a carebear... but why? Why do we need evil playing in games? Dont we all want a better world not a worse one??
    Kinda makes me sad to know some enjoy such fantasies of pillaging and making people suffer. =.=

Um...

You can fight for goodness, work for a better world, save those who are weak, etc. in real life.  What's stopping you?

As far as playing evil in video games -- what is evil?  It's rather abstract.  Yes there are some things that most people in the world would agree are wrong, but those are extreme examples.  Many things one person would consider 'evil' is perfectly acceptable to another person -- abortion for example.

MMOs seem like a strange choice for you if you're honestly that sensitive.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Yikes, actually it DOES look like WoW, at least the UI does.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

If that is my fantasy of how I wanted to be, then what drives someone to play evil?

ever play that arcade game Rampage?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage_(arcade_game)

where you play godzilla or king kong  and smash buildings and eat people?

I used to love that game - its not humanitarian but its FUN

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

For me, playing a computer game means a way of escapism. I try to do what I can not do in RL

i'll try to answer that as someone who plays villains, like you i view games as an escape and try to do something I wouldn't even think about doing in real life. Being an all powerful villain is just that ... I have always liked the villains, in all movies my favorite characters were the villains.

Darth Vader

Agent Smith

Hannible Lecter

Tyler Durden

The Joker (the new one)

hell when i was younger I use to watch monster movies ... and cry when the monster died at the end LOL. I don't think im a bad person for this (sure i can be an asshole but who can't) I think I am morally ok (maybe not perfect) I just like to play the opposite of my real life.

to me its like saying ... any of the actors who played the above characters are bad people. its just playing a role nothing more.

I don't think anyone who plays a villain is saying they want to go out if they could and murder and pillage. its just a twist on something they obviously would never consider in real life.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

I am a bit unsettled by this. Like Champions it looks a wee bit too action like, with stafing and jumping. I dunno, hopefully it does not mean a too shallow game without story and depth. Guess we have to see.

Cryptic - at least when I last played City of Villians a long time ago, really didn't give a sense of evil. Missions were identical. Instead of saving the damsel, I was kidnapping the damsel. I was in essence rescuing the damsel from other bad guys. Most of my missions involved taking out other bad guys, but sometimes I would take on security forces or rob a bank. Yes, those are illegal activities. However, activites weren't so unsettling that it broke my moral compass.

Now if the game permitted me to rape, take out small children and drop kick puppies, burn crosses, torture npcs, and the ultimate sin, make a profit for oil (j/k) then I would get unsettled. But the game is not Rated M and most likely wouldn't do so well if they did that.

Playing a villian is fun because you get a different perspective instead of a typical heroic persona. Maybe a misunderstood personality, many good intentioned characters lost their way ( Anakin Skywalker anyone?). Tell me you didn't the Star Wars episodes. 

Sometimes you want to know how that Black Knight or Joker came into existence. What obstacles do they have to rise to such influence and power?

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Turning your PVP foe into a block of ice and chucking him down the road? LOL, thats just too cool. I like how you can also support PVE characters and perform not only offensive, but defensive roles as well for both PVP and PVE. This is looking to be a really fun game and I'm looking forward to its release.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"