Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free - but is it worth coming back to?

WassisfaceWassisface Member Posts: 18

I played this game quite a while back when I didn't have enough RAM to enjoy chip wars, now I'm on a new deck the game is under new ownership and free... How does the game fare now? Lots of spammer/botters? I remember grinding PTs to be one very extreme grind, but I could be wrong... how is RF online doing now? Anyone care to give me a mini state of the union?

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Spammpers/botters are watched carefully (according to the CCR site that is), and so far I havn't seen anyone yelling to sell money. This gives more space for the *REAL* players, and the server is very populated.

Only thing that bothers me at the moment is that *EVERY ONE* get an uber weapon (3 actually), which allows you to 1 shot every monster up to level 10, and 3-shot everything up to level 20 (I'm playing archer type). This kinda lowers my gaming experience, but so far I'm having my share fun after 2 days of playing and I think I'll stick around for a while.

Drops (compared to CM's hosting) are limited to materials and ores only. So far I havn't had any item dropped, and I figure they're either rare or won't drop at all.

The only thing that annoys me is that every 5 minutes you see a small pop-up in the lower right corner to advertize some of the items in the item mall. 

• WassisfaceWassisface Member Posts: 18

Thanks, that helps out a lot. I downloaded the Client based on your advice and it's not all bad. I don't quite get the super-weapon thing - it does kinda slow the whole experience down a bit, they're sure cool and shiny though. My main worry is the chip war might lose some of its zest (when I can finally involve myself) because the cash shop I'm told gives some definate advantages.

• catfudcatfud Member Posts: 135

I think the super weapons are a good thing. The problem with RFO is the game doesn't really begin until lvl 40+ (so to speak) everything up to that is just grinding levels to be able to enjoy the rest of the game content. And you have plenty to work on at 40+ like fitting gems into your gear without busting it, let alone getting the gems themselves. Still a hell of a lot of work to get to 55 and good gear. Also you still need to do a reasonable amount of work on your PTs.

If you feel the super weapons spoil your experience then don't use them. Personally I feel they have enhanced my experience but then I've played RFO many times before and see a very different side of the game at 40+ which interests me far more than the pre lvl 40 game.

I had many friends that quit the game saying it was rubbish but they where all pre 40 toons. All my friends that pushed up to 40+ loved the game from there on.

I would imagine the super weapons for players new to the game would seem very OTT.

------------------------------------------------
    Founder of The Divine Council of Pyr
    MMO: Ryzom - RF Online
    Ryzom FREE Trial: PLAY NOW!!! - The must play MMO!

• solnicarissolnicaris Member Posts: 148

I should load this up sometime. The last time I played was when it was a pay server. Wonder if my acct is still active?

Come and checkout my website:
    SpaceSimCentral.com - Your Space Sim Community Gaming Resource
    Discuss EVE, JGE, BP, Infinity, Taikodom, FL, FS, HW, WC, X and more

• catfudcatfud Member Posts: 135

If you're refering to the CM's version your account wont be there. It's a new database and you need a new account. There is an event going on that you can take part in for a chance to have your old chars transfered to the new database.

Founder of The Divine Council of Pyr
    MMO: Ryzom - RF Online
    Ryzom FREE Trial: PLAY NOW!!! - The must play MMO!

• ed515ed515 Member Posts: 67

no, not worth comming back to.

• elsdragonelsdragon Member UncommonPosts: 28

well i see it like this bell will own in the start (MAUS) , cora will be in mid running of things (by then they'll have high enouth summon lvl's they can do something), then accritians will pwn all things with anything (there def is up in gods pants or something).

so if you do want to go back pick ur race wisely. ecuz once ppl start getting lv 40+ gear with upgrade's they will be dumb nut's to try and take out.

• jimbo833jimbo833 Member Posts: 158

cora acctualy owning ATM

bell is having bd turn out in wars and teres a MAU glitch, idk what it does but people arnt liking it

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

My problem with the current version is that they seem to have removed armor/weapon drops from the pre-40 mobs.

True you get handheld with armor through a Level 35 INT set, and weapons through a L30 INT. Not to forget the returnee weapons and the L40/45 gift boxes.

But still, There seems to be a total lack of things to breakdown or ++ as you level up.

• s0ulls0ull Member Posts: 186

I played CM RFO for about a year +,  decided a couple of days ago to give the new version a try started a fresh char on Dahin as a bellato warrior.

I'm really impressed alot of my issues have been corrected, however there are some that still seem to be the same problem. The new starter weapons are great I got to 30 in under 6 hours with great PT's.

The one big thing I've noticed is the cash shop is a hell of alot more reasonably priced than under CM and has a much bigger variety of items.

It's alot faster now to get to 40 and definately worth trying out if the grind put you off before it has been reduced considerably by the new weapons and the 3x xp rate currently running.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

No amazing updates...basically the same game it was before with better rates (just like the other servers you can't mention here)

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by demi1234

I played this game quite a while back when I didn't have enough RAM to enjoy chip wars, now I'm on a new deck the game is under new ownership and free... How does the game fare now? Lots of spammer/botters? I remember grinding PTs to be one very extreme grind, but I could be wrong... how is RF online doing now? Anyone care to give me a mini state of the union?

mm they add various stuff but its summer gees,almost 60% of player in any game arent playing at all in summer and those that do play about 20 % of their usual play time ,on top of that i heard graphic arent exactly stelar