Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yes SWG fans, all your fears are justified

Comments

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by mcharj11

Originally posted by Guillight

Originally posted by Pest138

Too early to really know what this game is going to be like, and while I am sure bioware has a general direction they are heading chances are things will change along the way.
    And while I am sure there are paople out there who like SWG, one version or the other, lets be serious, by most standards it was  buggy, unimaginative and disjointed.
    I plan on monitering the developement of TOR and am hoping that when it gets close to launch it is something that I want to play.

It is perfectly clear what it's going to be. The Bussiness model is known and was the start of development direction.

That they now desperately try to cover it up and keep it away from the public. Too late. It's the internet! 

It is pretty obvious it's going to be KOTOR like game with a chat box slammed on top of it.

Why?

- Heavily solo oriented. Heavily instanced. Story driven. NPC companion system (ala Guildwars)

- No emphasis on group content at all. Wich has been said over and over.

- No real PVP. Just some dueling maybe.

- No crafting. Just some pots here and there, so there is some use for a marketsystem.

- Endgame? New storydriven modules you will have to pay for through micro transactions.

So why they are allowed to call it an MMO? Because they slap a chatbox on it, create a central gather area somewhere with a Marketplace.

That's how low the MMO industry has sunk to. 

They want to control your gameplay as much as they can through story driven content for MAXIMUM profit. 

They are going to make it so you are forced to keep buying new story modules to continue progress.

They won't add group dungeons. They won't add RAID's. They won't add real PVP. They won't add a real crafting system. They won't add too many social functions. All stuff we have taken for granted in MMO's these days.

Why? Because it would give you too much freedom, too much alternatives and will hurt their PROFIT. As you won't be forced to buy new story modules if you got plenty of other stuff to do. And that is exactly what they don't want. 

Seriously, there is a reason why so many people have come to hate about what has become of Lucas Arts! 

Bioware actually said on gamespot that PvP will be a big part of ToR and that they are fans of RvR.

So possibly storyline leveling with a Republic v SIth RvR endgame.

As a matter of fact they actually talk about it in an interview. Here is a link..... Enjoy!

http://www.massively.com/2008/10/23/the-old-republic-unveiled-combat-pvp-and-heroics/

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Guillight

Originally posted by Pest138

Too early to really know what this game is going to be like, and while I am sure bioware has a general direction they are heading chances are things will change along the way.
    And while I am sure there are paople out there who like SWG, one version or the other, lets be serious, by most standards it was  buggy, unimaginative and disjointed.
    I plan on monitering the developement of TOR and am hoping that when it gets close to launch it is something that I want to play.

It is perfectly clear what it's going to be. The Bussiness model is known and was the start of development direction.

That they now desperately try to cover it up and keep it away from the public. Too late. It's the internet! 

It is pretty obvious it's going to be KOTOR like game with a chat box slammed on top of it.

Why?

- Heavily solo oriented. Heavily instanced. Story driven. NPC companion system (ala Guildwars) Really then why did they give the scenario of the rescue leia from the death star with  a group? NPC companions are there for story influence, and you do not get to continually keep them or use them. They will leave you if your actions and decisions are not on par with that npc story/characteristics. And the engine is made for a heavy open world with little top no instancing, read up on the hero engine and you will see that. Also the devs talk about wide open worlds, coming out of a cave and seeing the world before you.....did you not watch the last video?

- No emphasis on group content at all. Wich has been said over and over. other than the fact that the devs have stated the game will have solo content AND group story content...yes...no group play what so ever /chuckle

- No real PVP. Just some dueling maybe. Oh really? Since they one the devs have stated this game will have 2 factions heavily warring and controlling aspects of the game (some hint of RVR?) so this is totally untrue.

- No crafting. Just some pots here and there, so there is some use for a marketsystem. Really please show me where they said that? because i heard on the last video that the game, even the lightsaber crafting, will be an adventure and story line, just to be able to create your items.

- Endgame? New storydriven modules you will have to pay for through micro transactions. Proof? I thought not.....just because EA said they were thinking about RMT, the bioware devs have stated no  plans have been placed yet, so again just assumptions

So why they are allowed to call it an MMO? Because they slap a chatbox on it, create a central gather area somewhere with a Marketplace.

That's how low the MMO industry has sunk to. 

They want to control your gameplay as much as they can through story driven content for MAXIMUM profit. 

They are going to make it so you are forced to keep buying new story modules to continue progress.

They won't add group dungeons. They won't add RAID's. They won't add real PVP. They won't add a real crafting system. They won't add too many social functions. All stuff we have taken for granted in MMO's these days.

Why? Because it would give you too much freedom, too much alternatives and will hurt their PROFIT. As you won't be forced to buy new story modules if you got plenty of other stuff to do. And that is exactly what they don't want. 

Seriously, there is a reason why so many people have come to hate about what has become of Lucas Arts! 

lol so many misconceptions in this thread its not even funny. next time at least provide actual details rather than ":OMG i hate this game !"

• OneishOneish Member Posts: 14

As one of the many original SWG players I am looking forward to SW - TOR with great anticipation. SWG was at first all I ever needed in a MMO, with all its bugs etc, many of us felt we lost this with the many huge changes.

Even so.. that rant is in the past.

It looks like we will finally get the game we have wanted for so long in SW - TOR.

Theo - Pax Gaming Community
    www.scapes.net/pax/forums
    SWG, Veteran Commando forever

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

Holy crap... not a single one of you smarties has seen or played this game. If you want an idea of what its going to be like stop thinking about other MMO's and go play the first KOTOR by Bioware and then imagine it expanded into an MMO. That will give you an inkling but not the whole story. Then read what the devs have released thus far and that will give you a better picture. Beyond any of that its all speculation and BS. Its no WOW, its not SWG, its not any other MMO or in any other MMO's setting. Sorry but many centuries pass before you get to the SW universe in SWG from the one that will be in KOTOR. Centuries change a lot of crap.. look at how much Earth has changed and its just one tiny little insignificant world full of even more tiny insignificant little people who think way too much of themselves. We play games to go into different realms and universes to escape the depressing hell that is reality for at least an hour or two a day. When you start in with all of your crap you ruin that blissful picture. Take the game or leave it, but I beg and implore you to please stop biotching so some of us can have our peace and find real information about something we find interesting. Maybe if the game has been out for ages and proven itself to be totally lame like SWG (For whatever reason.. SOE,NGE,flamers,global warming... take your pick)...But until its even released for Beta there's not anything you should be bitching about because there is no game yet! Oiy vey folks.

• BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

we dont know enough about the game but i think its safe to say its not going to be another swg.  lets face it the original swg is dead and nothing is coming out thats going to replace it.   i wish another sandbox type game would come out and would love for it to be star wars but its just not happening.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I agree with you OP.  Many people will argue that it is nothing like WoW.  You hear that in about every MMO that has been released afterward, but how many MMOs do use the WoW forumula?  Just about all of them.  Of course there will be distinct noticiable differences, but they will be using the same WoW formula like everyone else has been doing.  Did we not hear the same argument for WAR and look how WoWish it is.  Gear based through quests leveling is the basic formula.  You can count on SWTOR to have the same style in a different environment.  Just call a spade a spade and stop argueing the petty differences.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Originally posted by Stellos

I agree with you OP.  Many people will argue that it is nothing like WoW.  You hear that in about every MMO that has been released afterward, but how many MMOs do use the WoW forumula?  Just about all of them.  Of course there will be distinct noticiable differences, but they will be using the same WoW formula like everyone else has been doing.  Did we not hear the same argument for WAR and look how WoWish it is.  Gear based through quests leveling is the basic formula.  You can count on SWTOR to have the same style in a different environment.  Just call a spade a spade and stop argueing the petty differences.

I also agree with the OP.  Even in the new developer video, the one guy talks about quests in zones, blah blah blah.  Same style different setting.  I hate to be so negative, but I really think this game will not be any different. 

Using the Star Wars name again to get people hooked.  It happened to me in LOTRO, took me a yr to realize the game was boring and static.  (actually it took Warhammer's gameplay to remind me what I enjoyed about gaming again)

Say what u want , but remember this post.  

• econ24econ24 Member Posts: 45

While SW:TOR won't be as much of a sand box as SWG, I really think people should give Bioware more credit.  They make some of the best RPGs out there, and tell an excellent story.  WoW has crap for a storyline, so it's safe to assume that the quests in SW:TOR will be engaging.  I also think the classes in SW:TOR will have more customization than the classes in WoW.

As for crafting or end game content, maybe Bioware will surprise a few people.  They have extremely creative people, something that Blizzard lacks.  I'm keeping up the hope that Bioware can deliver a more engaging end game than the typical raid boss for endless upgrades grind.

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

You all basically have no idea what the game is going to be like, it's all speculation at the moment.

As far as im concerned it's "Bioware" and they have a history of making deep RPG's. This will translate well into a MMO, and from the footage they have released (which isn't alot) the game is looking good, albeit a long way from completion.

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Lol you angry folks can continue to be miserable for another 4-6 years over games, the rest of the people will be playing TOR. The game will sell itself if it’s good. Get on board or stay back at the spaceport for all I care. Bitching will change no ones mind. For real though, if it's fun, what does it mater if it doesn't have everything you think you need in an MMO?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• rage9000rage9000 Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Chaos113

I've read all the dev-blogs and articles released. And I can't fathom how you can guarantee all the stuff you have posted. I know where you got it from. From an article posted on these boards by admriker4 earlier. Because you say exactly the same things as what was said in the article.

An article which only credibility is that the author/admriker4 says that he has predicted a KOTOR based MMO would be made by BioWare a long time ago. Wow.

So you copied his work, modified it a bit to make it seem like you came up with it by yourself and now claim to have made those conclusions on your own accord.

Sorry if I do not put too much stock into it.

Not to say it may not be like that, but personally, I will believe my own two eyes rather than trusting crystal-sphere gazing prophets on the interweb.

He cant. People just like to make shit up. Can you guys just have faith? I mean this game is a year off and all these posts are all about the same thing with different names. This forum is full of assholes who spam the same bullshit with out any proof to back it up.

My predictions:

SWTOR will have 1 billion subscribers

SWTOR will suck

SWTOR will be so easier you can cap your leveling in a day

SWTOR will give you candy and tell you your special like mommy and daddy never did

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA NO.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

the thread that just won't die

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• thanos1313thanos1313 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by GrumpyJester

This is going to be a "modern" MMO, like the popular World of Warcraft. This is not going to be a sandbox MMO, like the old Star Wars Galaxies. You will follow the quest lines, have zones that are meant for specific levels, do a lot of soloing, have a crafting system that's no more than a nice extra, have only combat classes, etc.
    It's true. The only thing SW:ToR shares with SWG is the setting. The games will be nothing alike. If you have not played WoW yet, do so now, and you might be able to enjoy SW:ToR when it is released. I do hope we have a nice community with many SW fans, but if you don't get SWG out of your system you will be disappointed.

i honestly, prefer games like that. maybe give people a chance but, personally everytime i log into SWG i have no idea what im doing..where i should go to level or anything like that. atlest with WoW it basicly tells you where you CAN go to level the fastest in the classic zones, and..where you have to go to level...TBC and WOTLK

breaking news, a brawl broke out between the hogger and arthas the lich king downtown gadgetzan. there where no survivers

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90

If you are an oldschool SWG fan, Darkfall and EarthRise are probably where you want to be.  This game isn't about a sandbox.

It has stylized graphics which I like.   Not everyone likes the art style and I can understand that.  This game will have companion characters and REAL choices that effect your character and companions.  It'll also have a better pvp system if they are indeed talking with Mythic.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Jeyhu

If you are an oldschool SWG fan, Darkfall and EarthRise are probably where you want to be.  This game isn't about a sandbox.

It has stylized graphics which I like.   Not everyone likes the art style and I can understand that.  This game will have companion characters and REAL choices that effect your character and companions.  It'll also have a better pvp system if they are indeed talking with Mythic.

Ya its one big RPG, with people paying 15$ to chat lol and pvp.   But ya its not a true mmo.   FYI Ill get scared in 4 years lol this game is only in the first stages of development.    At least 2 more years until they even get close to beta, then one more year of testing.    Post this again in 2012.    This looks like a crazy SWG vet thinking the games closing down tommorow topics.     Whos the OP?   That Jestor ROFLMAO.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

This is going to be a "modern" MMO, like the popular World of Warcraft. This is not going to be a sandbox MMO, like the old Star Wars Galaxies. You will follow the quest lines, have zones that are meant for specific levels, do a lot of soloing, have a crafting system that's no more than a nice extra, have only combat classes, etc.
    It's true. The only thing SW:ToR shares with SWG is the setting. The games will be nothing alike. If you have not played WoW yet, do so now, and you might be able to enjoy SW:ToR when it is released. I do hope we have a nice community with many SW fans, but if you don't get SWG out of your system you will be disappointed.

I don't think anyone can say exactly what it will be like but I do think it will be closer to WOW than SWG atleast  hope as far as ease of use playability and fun.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• kahulbanekahulbane Member Posts: 73

We do know it will not be SWG at any stage... How you ask, reading, starting with the anouncemet here at mmorpg.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/2352/KOTOR-MMO-Officially-Official

Then an update with the info and like to an IGN interview stating:

Players who were hoping for an updated version of Pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies will be disappointed with a quote from BioWare founder Ray Muzyka in IGN’s recent coverage of the announcement. In their interview, Muzyka says that, “It’s not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars”. Instead, he tells them that it’s about being a hero. Obviously, this puts a damper on players who may have been hoping to spend their time strictly as an entertainer or moisture farmer.

www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/2355/Updates-from-Around-the-Web

and the kicker of it all, the IGN article:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/922/922115p1.html

Enjoy, see where they are really going with this game... and then wait.

Pain is the little thing that reminds us we are alive.
    Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions.

WWII-Online Stats this map:
    Brit Air
    French Air
    imageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

• ounumenounumen Member Posts: 129

“It’s not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars”. Instead, he tells them that it’s about being a hero. 

This may have just killed it. So EVERY ONE is a hero so no one is. Nice way to kill it for some of us. Really I am tired of everyone gets to feel like a bad ass in MMO's. If you want that sort of feeling then play a singleplayer RPG. Some people have to be trampled on the way to the top. Gaming is no different.

"Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". No one can stop anyone from pursuing happiness, but life and liberty are said to only exist if they are deliberately sought and paid for".

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by ounumen

“It’s not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars”. Instead, he tells them that it’s about being a hero. 
     This may have just killed it. So EVERY ONE is a hero so no one is. Nice way to kill it for some of us. Really I am tired of everyone gets to feel like a bad ass in MMO's. If you want that sort of feeling then play a singleplayer RPG. Some people have to be trampled on the way to the top. Gaming is no different.

You miss the whole point of the statement. It is not about everyone being super jedi or some demi-god. The point is that one of the central pillars of the game is a little thing called STORY. It means that there will not be a class of character where you do nothing but dance in a cantina all day because then you would have abselutely no immersion into the story whatsoever. It wont be a guided quest to quest adventure like many MMO's out there either because you will have options and you will be able to choose what road your character takes. Instead of a quest that says go fetch me 12 boar knuckles you will be faced with a scenerio and given choices of what path you want your character to take on that particular quest.(Wholly crap like a true RPG!) What you choose will effect both the game play AND the development of your character. This says nothing at all about minmaxing or trying to be wonderboy but more about the ability for you to control your characters destiny and a desire to invest time in them. Why buy a game if you aren't going to play it and wont have your character leave the bar?

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

So....Free.....Epic..........RMT.

Yes.....SW:G fans are petrafied...for the loss of the moron population.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

This is Jestor's Rip off of an AdmrlRiker5 thread...with no real information.

As I recall...Jestor has been predicting that SW:G would close down since 2004 when he was Banned from over there for credit duping.

Oh...I hated teh NGE....but Cu and Pre-CU were not perfect.

And SW:TOR isn't the be all end all SW game.

I can't wait for STO though.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• MasterCrysisMasterCrysis Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Jeyhu

It'll also have a better pvp system if they are indeed talking with Mythic.

idk if thats a good thing, have you played WAR? the pvp there is quite awful.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I can not agree with you here. See, what always kinda frustrated me about MMOs, is that there usually is a BIG world threatning scenario, like Chaos troops X at the doors, and someone sends you to fetch his forgotten pie, or kill a rat in someone's cellar. Hello? Sorry, but that always was kinda underwhelming and I have no sense for such tasks. I think the idea to make gameplay heroic in TOR is cool. And LOTRO shows how it can be done. Take the "books": you have a kind of continual story-line with events around you like you were in some kind of movie! And to make it, the story highlights were instances in which you spent a short time. I hope TOR captures more of this event/story character as the LOTRO-book quests. I am an everyday Joe in RL already, thank you very much. I mean, not every single thing in a MMO has to be earth shattering heroic, but getting away from the many senseless mundane tasks sounds like a cool idea to me.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ounumenounumen Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by fcazares

You miss the whole point of the statement. It is not about everyone being super jedi or some demi-god. The point is that one of the central pillars of the game is a little thing called STORY. It means that there will not be a class of character where you do nothing but dance in a cantina all day because then you would have abselutely no immersion into the story whatsoever. It wont be a guided quest to quest adventure like many MMO's out there either because you will have options and you will be able to choose what road your character takes. Instead of a quest that says go fetch me 12 boar knuckles you will be faced with a scenerio and given choices of what path you want your character to take on that particular quest.(Wholly crap like a true RPG!) What you choose will effect both the game play AND the development of your character. This says nothing at all about minmaxing or trying to be wonderboy but more about the ability for you to control your characters destiny and a desire to invest time in them. Why buy a game if you aren't going to play it and wont have your character leave the bar?

Or I would rather craft a world, have skills and be dropped in the Old Republic to either fail or suceed on my own merits and others like me. Or we can continue the same regurgitated crap that has been pushed and failed the past few years. Again if you want a STORY created for you please pick up a single player RPG and stop fucking up games with mass  amounts of potential.  Sandbox>kindergarten story time

"Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". No one can stop anyone from pursuing happiness, but life and liberty are said to only exist if they are deliberately sought and paid for".

• CerenkovCerenkov Member Posts: 1

Amen. Holy crap, AMEN. You hit it dead centre.