Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Boxed Edition Comes With Gravy

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

EuroGamer is reporting that the boxed copy of EVE Online will come loaded with a few perks to help get new players started, after confirming details released on the website of a UK retailer with Atari, the publisher of the boxed version.

EVE Screenshot

Atari has confirmed to Eurogamer that the box copy of EVE Online that it's releasing next month will come with a few exclusive perks.

The bonuses - usable by both new players and existing subscribers - include 60 days of game time, a special edition ship, a head-start in faction standings and an insider's guide to careers in the space MMO's persistent online universe.

The details first appeared on UK retailer Game's website earlier this week (click on the 'product details' tab). Atari has told Eurogamer that they are genuine.

Read more here.

Comments

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

According to a post by a CCP community manager yesterday any possible perks are not decided yet.
    The standings/ship etc are just a mockup with potential benefits.

At this point, anything you read about the retail box is going to be purely speculative. The way these things work is that the folks who talk to the retailers have to give them some idea of what they will be selling. The retailers use that information to decide how many units they might want to buy but they still aren't really locked into those numbers. To get an idea of whether or not the product will actually sell, they "leak" some of what they've been told, and use graphics that aren't necessarily box art, on their web sites to gauge interest. This is about where we are now and what you're seeing.

I can assure you that when the box art and the box contents are really and truly finalized, we'll let everyone know. There will be an official press release, posts and discussions on our message board, etc. Until you hear it from us, it's not a done deal.

I know this doesn't necessarily answer some of your questions but I hope this will at least help you understand why those questions can't be answered yet.

Fallout
    Associate Community Manager

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

The faction thing is a good idea cause new players struggle to get into pvp and this is gonna help and older players can't complain cause it is easier for them to get faction.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

How much will this game box cost?

If its just the price of the client ($19.99) I would grab it for the 60 day time code.

Also the shuttle with cargo space would be nice for my ship collection.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by John.A.Zoid
    The faction thing is a good idea cause new players struggle to get into pvp and this is gonna help and older players can't complain cause it is easier for them to get faction.

Faction standings don't do a damn thing for PVP. They might help for faction warfare but I'm fairly sure a new player can join faction warfare right after doing the mission sequence started by the tutorial as long as they also do the mission sequence that's given in their diploma as well.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by metalhead980

If its just the price of the client ($19.99) I would grab it for the 60 day time code.

Lol I was going to ask if the box came with anything to interest vets, but you answered my question with the bit about the 60 day time code for $20. Good call.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Taram

Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Faction standings don't do a damn thing for PVP. A new player starting can join faction warfare as soon as they finish the tutorial mission line that they get upon starting the game. Once they complete the mission line and do the storyline mission and do the quest given on their 'diploma' they have high enough faction with their home race to join faction warfare.

And if you just want to do "real" PVP? You don't need any faction standings at all for that.

Faction standings help with mission running, nothing more.

need a .5 standing with your race to join the militia. (something like that)

My indy alt did the tutorial and the initial 10 mission story arc and still cant join the malitia.

the game box saves new players time. if they want to join the FW right away they can and wont have to run missions for 10-15 hours.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Is CCP waiting for the implementation of avatars before releasing the boxed versions, or is this in celebration of? Seems odd to do a box before a major game changing feature. Please correct me if I'm wrong...I'm just asking.

Joined - July 2004

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Perks are always nice, but I really hope that's not the special edition ship. Looks Gallentian to me, and, to me, only Amarr and Caldari have cool ships (points to my avatar).

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• DeadFableDeadFable Member Posts: 1

Soo I'm hoping I could put this on my sub. They need to make game cards. (at real stores)

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

Awr.

Perks may be a good idea - the game time, and all is nice.. But fgs, I hate it when companies reward the people, who have a lot of money.

So what if new players have to grind a bit to get the .5 standing, or w/e. Everyone else did it, and while we might have whined about it, it helped us learn the game (or have something to do while at work)

Oh well...

I will be buying the boxed version, not because of the perks, but because of the box itself. It'll be awesome to own an original EvE Online CD/DVD. :D

Off topic:

Damn I'm tired..

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

Originally posted by kattehus
    Awr.
    Perks may be a good idea - the game time, and all is nice.. But fgs, I hate it when companies reward the people, who have a lot of money.
    So what if new players have to grind a bit to get the .5 standing, or w/e. Everyone else did it, and while we might have whined about it, it helped us learn the game (or have something to do while at work)

Lots of money? How is the cost of one game lots of money?

Also, CPP probably cares that it's a grind for a new player to get into a major feature of the game. That could be the difference between a new player who quits after the trial or who subscribes.

• BlandinBlandin Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Don't dream

The box will be more than its gametime value, remember that Atari isn't a non-profit organization.

I hope they don't go for some ship that other people can't get... But they could hand them several ships of their faction, faction standings and pointers to the agents they could already use, it would for sure help a lot their start.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

Assuming there is a spec-ed ship or the boost of faction standings, you could buy the box several times, and thus, getting the ship or the boost several times. But they'll probably make it so you only get this once. So no biggie.

But I don't know. I usually just don't like the idea of rewarding players like that.[Edit:] I would much rather have a limited edition poster or something. Maybe a map of the universe. That'd be cool(er than some pixels :P).

I can understand the last part, but with buying the retail you allegdly get 60 days of time. 60 days. You can get your standings up in 60 days.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:

If they get a guide, my guess is it will be full of exclusive concept art and pictures used for the posters...

• sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485

Will this tey offer this in game stores in NA ? hope would love to pick up 1 or more boxes

It's distributed by Atari, so, it should be basically available everywhere.

• DexyDexy Member Posts: 63

I will play Eve when this is released, the revamped new player expierence comeing in the next expansion was tempting me but this just sealed the deal.

Ive been following Eve for a long time, im looking forward to finally giving it a proper go.