Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F A I L S T O

a thousand monkies typing in a chat room will create more laughter than S T O.

No seriosuly, this game has the great licence but wrongly stupid ideas how to implemient them.

pardon my english im eating a hamburger while I type this.

Comments

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by SmurfMagic
    No seriosuly, this game has the great licence but wrongly stupid ideas how to implemient them.

Didn't your mother teach you not to talk with your mouth full? Shame on you for bad manners.

As for the context of your post. I totally disagree, I like the way Cryptic is taking STO and only when beta comes around or release will we get to judge how good or how bad the game is.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by khartman2005

Didn't your mother teach you not to talk with your mouth full? Shame on you for bad manners.

As for the context of your post. I totally disagree, I like the way Cryptic is taking STO and only when beta comes around or release will we get to judge how good or how bad the game is.

In either case, once the beta test launches it will be too late.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Couldn't you have just posted this in one of the other "this game sucks" threads? Did it really need a new topic? STO is going in the direction it needs to for a successful game. I know this sucks to all of you expecting a Star Trek skinned Second Life but if they made that this game would bomb horribly. Sorry but I have realistic expectations for this game and I want a STO that will be around for years not one that would die within days of launching.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Couldn't you have just posted this in one of the other "this game sucks" threads? Did it really need a new topic? STO is going in the direction it needs to for a successful game. I know this sucks to all of you expecting a Star Trek skinned Second Life but if they made that this game would bomb horribly. Sorry but I have realistic expectations for this game and I want a STO that will be around for years not one that would die within days of launching.

Bren

Well said. It's the same as always. Crybabies don't get what they want. Crybabies post at mmorpg.com the game is going to fail.  It's always that or some other game's fanboi or paid troll.

This is looking to be a fun game to play, with plenty of "Star Trekishness" for all but the most caustic Star Trek fans.

• piotrsanpiotrsan Member Posts: 58

• kymekyme Member Posts: 411

Why are they wasting their time? Star Trek fans older and wiser will not want to play a game where thier avatar is a floating hunk of metal. Give them a chance to be an engineer, medic, therapist, work in 10 forward, transport, security then you will have a worthy game. Complete failure!

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

Anyone else getting tired of the people who think they are being witty by putting FAIL infront of titles...like Failcom so on.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Hagonbok

Bren

Well said. It's the same as always. Crybabies don't get what they want. Crybabies post at mmorpg.com the game is going to fail.  It's always that or some other game's fanboi or paid troll.

This is looking to be a fun game to play, with plenty of "Star Trekishness" for all but the most caustic Star Trek fans.

No kidding, and I thought the ferengi were annoying. ;)

THese type of sourpusses always find a way to litter game forums so no big suprise here. If they would post something along with their doom and gloom I make take them more seriously, like reasons WHY they think it will fail.

I love the direction this game is going and I can't wait. I'll be enjoying some kanar at Quark's while they're in their beer.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Noktaris

Anyone else getting tired of the people who think they are being witty by putting FAIL infront of titles...like Failcom so on.

I think what is even more worn out is the "fail" threads before games are even in beta lol.......These guys post the game will fail then dont list a single reason why.........

• WolfdorWolfdor Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by Hagonbok

Bren

You forgot to add the stereotype of fanboi Crybabies who create an account the same day a negative post of their game is posted, who come running to their games defense and claim things like their game will have "Star Trekishness" . 

Star Trekishness?  Is that anything like Star Warsy?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Honestly, I am to the point where I can't bring myself to buy ANY new MMO, without getting into the beta or waiting for some reasonable non-hyped, non-fanboi reviews after release.

When was the last time a game really lived up to the expectations prior to release? LOTRO? And  that was pretty much acknoledged to be a WoW-clone before release.

The I skipped the last few releases of "major" MMOs and each one has been one level or another of non-success.

Enough with the copying and slightly evolutionary game development already. How about something new and revolutionary (and no, darkfall ain't it)?

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Originally posted by Wolfdor

You forgot to add the stereotype of fanboi Crybabies who create an account the same day a negative post of their game is posted, who come running to their games defense and claim things like their game will have "Star Trekishness" . 
    Star Trekishness?  Is that anything like Star Warsy?

Does that mean Klingon's with little Cupid wings?

Sorry couldn't help myself  End of the work week.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

Man I gave you a 10 just for that part right there, I cracked up when I read this

I will agree with you though, I think having you make any alien your hearts desire is just Sandiego gay.

So far I don't see much problem with the game other than it not representing Star Trek in spirit /shrug.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Originally posted by Noktaris

I think what is even more worn out is the "fail" threads before games are even in beta lol.......These guys post the game will fail then dont list a single reason why.........

You know what though, the last couple of people posting "this game will fail" threads was 100% right. Just look for the word fail with games that are hanging on by the skin of their teeth now (Tabula Rasa, Borehammer, Vanturd and age of Conan).

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341

With the way the Economy is tanking they will be lucky to get it to beta before running out of investors and cash funds.I feel this will most likly happen to most of the games being developed right now.Who knows there may be a rally in the future,but we are still along way from hitting the bottom I fear.

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

Then again people have said that LOTRO would fail before launch because it was mislabeled by the public as a "wow-clone". LOTRO is still strong and doing well (and not at all "cloney" <-- trademarking this). I have hopes for this game wich I feel is long over-due, I am more concerned about the timing. I think it would be bad for both this game and the new star wars to be released around the same time :/

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

Originally posted by illanadan

Then again people have said that LOTRO would fail before launch because it was mislabeled by the public as a "wow-clone". LOTRO is still strong and doing well (and not at all "cloney" <-- trademarking this).

That seems to be the usual charge by those that don't know that they are talking about. STO is not going to be anything like WOW. It seems that LOTRO is doing quite well so those naysayers didn't know what they were talking about, as usual.

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

The problem here is assumption ...

The poster is assuming that out of all the people in the market to purchase a new MMO, that the majority of those that would consider STO also have the same opinions and interests as themselves.

Is it even a reasonable assumption that a Star Trek fan is also an MMO fan? Or visa versa?

I personally don't care for the direction they've chosen to go either but I have no delusions that my $15 speaks any louder than someone elses. And just because I want to be an avatar on someone elses ship doesn't mean that the volume of work necessary to get me there is proportional to the return.

Right now the only comparable game to this one is EVE. Who's going to be the fool and argue with its success? Slap some recognizable ship designs on it and people might just fall in love with it.

Originally posted by whpsh

The poster is assuming that out of all the people in the market to purchase a new MMO, that the majority of those that would consider STO also have the same opinions and interests as themselves.
    Is it even a reasonable assumption that a Star Trek fan is also an MMO fan? Or visa versa?
    I personally don't care for the direction they've chosen to go either but I have no delusions that my $15 speaks any louder than someone elses. And just because I want to be an avatar on someone elses ship doesn't mean that the volume of work necessary to get me there is proportional to the return.
    Right now the only comparable game to this one is EVE. Who's going to be the fool and argue with its success? Slap some recognizable ship designs on it and people might just fall in love with it.

The thing is, a strong IP like Star Trek is a 2 edged sword. A game based on a strong IP will get more attention and have a built in fanbase, but also come with greater expectations. People want to do things they saw in the Star Trek universe, and that can't be done if the "avatar" is the ship or is so most of the time.

That isn't an issue with EvE, because people had no expectations for it being anything besides what it was. STO can't go the same way and expect people to be just as happy with it. EvE succeeded because of what it "wasn't" (i.e, a bad adaption of an existing IP universe) as well as for what it was.

Originally posted by Burntvet

The thing is, a strong IP like Star Trek is a 2 edged sword. A game based on a strong IP will get more attention and have a built in fanbase, but also come with greater expectations. People want to do things they saw in the Star Trek universe, and that can't be done if the "avatar" is the ship or is so most of the time.

That isn't an issue with EvE, because people had no expectations for it being anything besides what it was. STO can't go the same way and expect people to be just as happy with it. EvE succeeded because of what it "wasn't" (i.e, a bad adaption of an existing IP universe) as well as for what it was.

Your avatar is not the ship. Otherwise you wouldn't have the endless options of defining your character's look. There was even a video released showing you the endless options for choosing a race .Please read faqs before spouting falsities.

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

I am so sick of the term "fail"...

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

Originally posted by ktanner3

Your avatar is not the ship. Otherwise you wouldn't have the endless options of defining your character's look. There was even a video released showing you the endless options for choosing a race .Please read faqs before spouting falsities.

Perhaps you missed the  MOST OF THE TIME in there....

If there are no ship interiors or Starbase interiors, and in space combat, then the ship WOULD be the avatar then, wouldn't it?

Ya sure, instanced away missions... whoopty do....

If there are no ship interiors or Starbase interiors, and in space combat, then the ship WOULD be the avatar then, wouldn't it?

So don't play. Whoopty do....

So don't play. Whoopty do....

Ah yes, the response of the fanboi when he has nothing better when the get called on something they had wrong....

I probably won't play, and a lot of others probably won't either, should Cryptic do a lousy job with the IP and gameplay, same as the last lousy studio that had this title...

And it looks like they are...

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Completely agreed. I'm very disapointed the game will not feature any in ship features, or player crews, this game is just another ruined IP.