Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer article on STO

admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Just picked up the Feb 2009 issue of PC Gamer.  Im not sure if they have a website with articles so I'll just retype it here....

STAR TREK ONLINE

Boldy game where no man as gamed before

The article background is a planet with the updated Sovereign class in orbit. There are several bubbles in the background with small descriptions.

1. Exploring new worlds is what Star Trek is all about, and STO promises a system of infinite exploration - presumably randomly generated planets to keep your voyage going indefinitely.

2. It looks like the Sovereign class ship (like the Enterprise E), but this Captain has pimped his ride with new warp engines and some extra techno-bling.

3. Space is full of objects to exploit and beat up on, like asteroids, anomolies, and other starships

Article...

If there's ever been a franchise that would benefit from the vastness and limitless expandability of a MMORPG its Star Trek. Seeking out life and new civilizations to phaser-burn for XP is right up our alley, especially from a series that brought us wormholes and warp drives, transporters and tribbles.

Star Trek Online's promise of being able to customize your captain's race and the design of your Federation or Klingon ship, and then recruit a crew to take that ship on a mission have us eagerly practicing our Picard maneuver.

The addition of the hour-long chunks of content being released on a regular schedule, or engaging in combat with enemies like the Borg sounds as close to the Star Trek experience as we can hope to get in this generation of gaming.

Dev:  Cryptic

Pub: Cryptic

ETA: Fall 2009

X-Factor: Ship and surface-level combat (and ship boarding !)

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Can't wait to pick this article up.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Randomly generated planets? I'm curious how long the server could last after a year's time. You know that the content junkies who like to beat everything in a few months will be pulling their hairs out if every time they reach the end something new pops up. Soon you'll have the "this game is becoming a second job!"

Sounds like fun.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Ya, there's still something about all that that I think we're all missing. I just don't think what people believe that to mean is at all possible. I think that there's still going to be limitations in place. I might be wrong, but I just keep thinking about 1000 players each setting off in different directions. It seems impossible that the game will be generating all that content for everyone.

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by Hagonbok

Ya, there's still something about all that that I think we're all missing. I just don't think what people believe that to mean is at all possible. I think that there's still going to be limitations in place. I might be wrong, but I just keep thinking about 1000 players each setting off in different directions. It seems impossible that the game will be generating all that content for everyone.

Somehow I am getting a feeling of being like Eve, in a sense that there will be zones to get lost in, and that some small portions of those zones are randomly generated according to a player's given quest, but if a group were to warp into that zone, they all would see the same thing, but it could be at a coordinate that others wouldn't likely stumble on it, thereby "randomizing" it.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

one thing is for sure, exploration will be a large feature in this game.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I think what we all have to remember is cryptics experience with COH/V and it's "random mission maps", exploration is going to take this form except on a much larger scale (at least I hope).

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

I very much hope that cryptic will be able to break the curse that has haunted Star Trek games for well over a decade now.  I know that if they are successful they will get my money and free time :)

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by severius

I very much hope that cryptic will be able to break the curse that has haunted Star Trek games for well over a decade now.  I know that if they are successful they will get my money and free time :)

Well said. Only note worthy ST game for me has been Armada and that had it's servers shut a couple months ago :(

Legacy was trash.

Such a huge fan base if they can make it appealing.