Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

linkrealms....finally something decent for the sandbox crowd

so today i tried out a new indie MMO called linkrealms.  Its essentially very similar to UO, although my expirience with UO is somewhat limited so some may disagree with me here.  it also seems to have a feature where you can upload new pieces of the world to the servers and they become part of the map (it comes with a map editor).  Overall i found i the game to be very well put together for an indie game, and really brought me back to my old way back runescape days.  Its currently in beta, with registration open whenever they feel they need to up the playerbase a bit.  Overall its definitely worth a look for anyone looking for more of a "world", sandbox, nonlinear style game.  

BETA IS NOW INVITATION ONLY (maybe someone here would be nice enough to give you one? Though joining the official forums is more likely)

JOIN THE OFFICIAL FORUMS!! http://forums.linkrealms.com/    <-------Your best chance at getting a beta key!

http://linkrealms.com/

Condensed Updates and thread info

-The graphics are much more like diablo than UO

-Beta registration is usually open in the evening around 6-9 PM EST

-they are currently working on a tutorial, and when that is finished they will let a lot more people into beta (possibly have a completely open beta)

-the developers regularly log on and chat with player

-you can download the game and play with the map editor if you would like

-No classes or levels, its all about raising skills (you are free to do all of them or any you would like, however there are skillcaps for different groups of skills (i.e. your agility + strength is capped at 150, i have 100str and 50 agil)

-there will be an item mall upon release, though their stance on item malls can be found here 

-you choose whether your land will permit illegal actions (like PVP, lockpicking, snooping etc.)

-Dungeons are all  non instanced and FFA PVP with looting (though not full apparently, items have a chance of dropping, not to much expirience with this aspect yet)

-you can craft just about anything

-you can plant and grow seeds in your garden

-many things do take several steps to make

-the game has an amazing community, and is very community oriented

-you must be 18+ to register (though i am aware that you cant really expect that to always be the case)

-lots of different and scripted bosses.

-the developers regularly log in and chats with players and listen to their suggestions.

-there currently is no guild system, however after chatting with the developers, they are adding guilds, guild chat, and private messages in a not-to-distant update.

-boss loot is different than just upgraded armor (tools/furniture for your realm, permenant stat increase potions, etc.)

-when uploaded, your realm is instantly added to the game world (if you own land)

-as of 2/10/09 they are still opening beta up for short periods

-gnomes (and possibly other things) may infest your gardens and property when growing crops (these things are tough  and not to be taken litely)

-world map is here http://home.linkrealms.com/map.png and was updated (2/11/09)

Comments

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Well they definately deserve kudos for having some of the best ingame animation I have ever seen.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

yea, its also the first time i have felt overwhelmed and free to do whatever i want when starting an MMO since EvE.

Not to mention they have player guides who will warp to you and answer any questions you have or show you around, its a great community

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Animation is more like Diablo2 with better graphics then UO, from what I saw in the movies.

You said UO, I was like 2 frames a second huh?

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Holy buckets.

Those are some of the best animations I think I have ever seen, in any game, ever.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

For all those who believe that MMOs are stale and broken, this could be what we have been waiting for. I am going to try the beta tonight.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Assuming I can get a beta spot I'll definitely give it a shot.  It looks like fun and I can't wait to see what some of the possibilities are.

Good find.  Thanks for sharing.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

except its closed.  =(

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

YOU MAKE YOUR OWN REALM, HOLY SHIT

And no classes, pick any skills you want.

OK, so there's an item mall, dude I am so sold it's not even funny.  Player created content with no classes, I love it!

And it's adult content!

Signing up for beta right now, or as soon as they open up beta sign up again.

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694

Looks interesting. I'll definitely give it a try when you can make accounts again. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Here's a trailer of it ( Since the one on the site doesn't seem to be working ) www.youtube.com/watch Looks kinda like UO meets Diablo.

Yea, right now its a really small beta it seems, i had to wait about 4 days before it was open to new registration, and the most people i have seen online at one time was about 10, however, i really recommend that everyone try it, because i have found that it just may be what lots of people have been looking for.  Of the things i have found so far that were kind of cool.

-you can haggle with vendors, and they only buy items they would want

-you can dig anywhere prospecting for metal/gold i would think (havent done much)

-to make something which requires cooking, you pick wheat and then grind it at the milling stone etc.

-you can drop items on the ground and other can pick them up.

ill write a more detailed description of what its like at some point possibly, but those are just some little things that i love in an MMO and have been missing in most of these themepark games 

I have vowed never to play a game with an item mall, but I'm making an exception for this game.

Can't wait to dig into the editor.

But their website does suck, oh well, can't win them all.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

Item mall. No thanks.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

what's an "item mall"?

Originally posted by GreenChaos

I have vowed never to play a game with an item mall, but I'm making an exception for this game.

Can't wait to dig into the editor.
     But their website does suck, oh well, can't win them all.

same situation here with the item mall

Originally posted by Nerf09

what's an "item mall"?

Free to play, better items for purchase with real money. These can be ignored if you want to , so not that big of a deal.

If the game is real good I'm willing to spend as much as I would for a sub, so it should work out.

also i think its worth noting that once it releases, they plan on have a business model similar to runescape as well, where you can subscribe for additional functionality (though who knows what that means at this point, new areas?, items?, skills?)

but yes there also will be an item mall, though again we dont know what that entails entirely yet 

Originally posted by GreenChaos

Originally posted by Nerf09

what's an "item mall"?

Free to play, better items for purchase with real money. These can be ignored if you want to , so not that big of a deal.

If the game is real good I'm willing to spend as much as I would for a sub, so it should work out.

You will spend much more than a subscription game though. Don't kid yourself. But you must already know that having stated you traditionally refuse to play item shop games.

Originally posted by RedwoodSap

Item mall. No thanks.

Give the guys a break, this is a indi MMO with user created content.   They don't have a huge name to sell subs, this is probably the best way to get their game out there.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I don't think companies with smaller player-based games such as this will beable to opt for a monthly fee any longer. So you will have to either stop playing games like this or adjust to the item mall fad.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

Originally posted by minocin

I don't think companies with smaller player-based games such as this will beable to opt for a monthly fee any longer. So you will have to either stop playing games like this or adjust to the item mall fad.

Before choosing the item mall route, they should look into partnering with an outfit like Gametap.

Originally posted by RedwoodSap

You will spend much more than a subscription game though. Don't kid yourself. But you must already know that having stated you traditionally refuse to play item shop games.

No, I've never played one.  I just don't like the idea of more money = better player.  Same reason I don't play collectible card games.

But then again WoW is more time = better player, which is just as bad.

the great thing about small comanies and game such as this is that we (as the playerbase) may actually have some say in what they choose as a business model,

but then again i guess i could get behind an item mall if its just cosmetic or something

This game has been around forever and still has not sold out to the unfair, he who pays more wins philosophy of the item shop formula, so I don't buy the argument that smaller games can't go the subscription revenue route.

www.realmserver.com/

well i just click on the store button in game and it brought me here

http://www.linkrealms.com/store/

where it explains their philosophy on item malls

Originally posted by b0rderline99

well i just click on the store button in game and it brought me here

http://www.linkrealms.com/store/
    where it explains their philosophy on item malls

Well we need to see the items available to prove their statement true. I do consider experience potions to be an unfair advantage if sold and I have yet to see an item shop that didn't offer them in one form or another.