Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will you judge Darkfall as a success or failure?

Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

If Feb. 25th does turn out to be the day of reckoning, what in your eyes would deem the game to be either a success or a failure? I'm sure Trolls will have just as much fuel for their flames as Fanboys will have rebuffs to counter, but what will be the game-breaking or blockbuster-making factors for you?

Personally, if the combat is a totally unstable lagfest - given that the entire premise of the game is based upon this - and ~50% of the promised features are either not included or still locked, I would probably consider this game up the proverbial creek without a paddle. We all know first impressions are what matters in MMO's, and with a game such as Darkfall that has had an ... interesting ... development to say the least, those first impressions are going to be vital.

Conversely, if the combat is fun, the animations smoothed out, the gameplay stable and almost all of the promised features in, then I'm willing to bet it will have a relatively good chance.

Comments

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

The same criteria I judge every game by;

1) Is it fun?

2) Did it deliver on what was advertised?

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

If I enjoy it, then it will be a success for me, If I do not enjoy it, then it will be a failure for me, and I will move on. Simple really, I just wish people would stop basing so much personal stake on whether a game fails or succeeds in their, or others, opinions. That is just plain childish.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Easy. If it does not release in better shape than any other mmo, and feature complete, then it is a failure. Too much to ask?

Tough titty, go blame Tasos.

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810

You know one of the big fanbois woll be in here any second to tell us how DF is special and beyond silly concepts like success or failure... 3 ... 2 .... 1

Ok seriously, for this game to be a success to has to be :

1. Good performance (network and GFX)

2. Stability of server

3. Fun & fluid combat with balanced play

4. Dynamic gameplay with PvP with a purpose. If its log on and super gank fest .. I may as well go play guild wars or any FPS

5. Get decent hosting, billing and customer services

6. Survive its own rabid fanbase (DF has some serious morons on its forums)

8. Developers learn how to communicate with large gaming sites and not give interviews that comes across as snotty and defensive.

9. Actually launch on the 22nd ... lolz

10. Be Better than whatever this glory days of UO actually were... this is extremly unlikely... nostalgia can never be beaten.

I'm not holding out .. . nothing I have seen so far screams all these points are being covered.

• Xyn99Xyn99 Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by tombear81

You know one of the big fanbois woll be in here any second to tell us how DF is special and beyond silly concepts like success or failure... 3 ... 2 .... 1

2. Stability of server
    4. Dynamic gameplay with PvP with a purpose. If its log on and super gank fest .. I may as well go play guild wars or any FPS
    8. Developers learn how to communicate with large gaming sites and not give interviews that comes across as snotty and defensive.
    10. Be Better than whatever this glory days of UO actually were... this is extremly unlikely... nostalgia can never be beaten.
    I'm not holding out .. . nothing I have seen so far screams all these points are being covered.

• Ultor83Ultor83 Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by tombear81

2. Stability of server

I agree with points 1,2,3 & 5 (though I'm going on the basis of stable gfx rather than top notch).

4. Is interesting since the purpose will be made by the player base itself and as such you will always have gankers.

6. All games have stupid idiotic members.

7. Well I'll comment on it when you make it.

8. Large gaming sites are half the problem these days, so can't agree.

9. Not really a criteria, more off a dig at DF.

10. Again not really a criteria since you've answered your own question.

Though If thats your criteria good luck to you but I can most likely predict DF will never match up 

• LoNeOwNzLoNeOwNz Member Posts: 64

Is it fun?

Is the community better than WoW?

Are there player-run events?

That's my requirements.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

1. Smooth combat and smooth situational transitions (no clunky/buggy UI)

2. Game launches with at minimun 90% of promised features

3. Server/Client stability above 80% by the end of the first month

4. More than 100 people online at peak hours for the first 6 months

I dont care about box sales/digital sales numbers as they are really pretty useless (Millions of people bought Crystal Clear Pepsi but that didnt stop it from being dumped...)

Long term subscriptions are what matters. If I enter a game world at peak hours (specially a game thats supposedly this big) and only see about 90 people on I might as well be playing a single player game.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

When I sit down and play it.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Ahh if it stays running it is a success generally.  Who are any of us to judge something much bigger than us as a success or failure? 

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by ProfRed

Ahh if it stays running it is a success generally.  Who are any of us to judge something much bigger than us as a success or failure? 

Because ultimately it comes down to our $ that makes it a success or failure.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I'm totally not understanding that last sentence.  Sorry.  What does it mean "something much bigger than us"?

• SpyridonZSpyridonZ Member Posts: 289

For the first month, people will say its the best game ever.

2nd or 3rd month, people will start to complain that the game was unfinished and lacks content.

1 year later, as long as the game is still going, people will give it another chance and say how the game has came along quite well since release.

It's the same thing that happens with every single MMO release. The only difference is if the game doesnt make it to the 1 year point

Originally posted by Signe

I'm totally not understanding that last sentence.  Sorry.  What does it mean "something much bigger than us"?

Dunno. Myself, I've always considered myself to be bigger and more important than a bunch of pixels. But hey, some people. Ya know?

Originally posted by Zorvan

Dunno. Myself, I've always considered myself to be bigger and more important than a bunch of pixels. But hey, some people. Ya know?

Well I guess I think of MMO's as not just the game, but the community as well.  As long as their is a following I would call it a success because it is successfully pleasing a group of people in the manner in which it intended.  Who am I to say it is a failure when all of those people are enjoying it?

Well I guess I think of MMO's as not just the game, but the community as well.  As long as their is a following I would call it a success because it is successfully pleasing a group of people in the manner in which it intended.  Who am I to say it is a failure when all of those people are enjoying it?

Woot! Canabalism is successful!

Move over bacon.......

Jim Jones and Charlie Manson had ( and have, in Charlies' case ) a following. Success must be great.

Hey it saved all those footballers lives.  It seemed to be pretty successful for those a$$ eaters.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I've been playing MMOs long enough to know that sometimes MMOs need time to become really good.

But for me As long as DF has the features lists on the site, Graphics that don't make me ill, Animations that arent stop motion like, fluid combat and a somewhat stable server.

It will be a success to me.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Through Adventurine's I'd think if they make steady profits it's a success... and if they aren't, well then it's a failure.

I look at it the same way. There will be plenty of fanboys cheering success and plenty of trolls cheering failure, but really, who cares about either of 'em?

• bayareamjbayareamj Member UncommonPosts: 31

Success is tough to quantify because there is no standard of measurement.

100,000 subscribers paying 15$ a month is 1.5 million a year with roughly 5 million is box sales.

If they can make profits on those numbers, I'd say they 100,000 subs could be considered a success.

If we are strictly talking about personal opinions, it just comes down to whether or not, as an individual, the game entertains you enough to pay the monthly fee.

-----------------------------------
    MMO player

• AposiAposi Member UncommonPosts: 5

I'm sorry, i really have not been following this game at all, Is this going to be a download game from the site or is this actually going to be shipped to stores? o.o

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

I am on the fence when it comes to the topic of Darkfall, I really want it to succeed and actually be an amazing game, on the hand it would be hilarious if on release day the game featured stick figures and fell flat on its face.

Anyhow, nobody should draw conclusions on an MMO in their first minutes or even days of game play (unless of course the game is extremely bugged). My point is MMO's take time to advance and content and things you do at level 1 will be extremely different than the content you will partake at level cap.

I have seen the beta leaks and the combat appears to be left click central, however this would be no different from any other MMO with a level 1 character.  I am giving DF the benefit of the doubt and assuming this will get much better once the character acquires some needed skills.

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

Easy. If it does not release in better shape than any other mmo, and feature complete, then it is a failure. Too much to ask?
    Tough titty, go blame Tasos.

Because Tasos ran his mouth Darkfall must do what no MMO has done before or it is a failure?

You have taken your hate to far and now most of what you say about this game is a joke.

ANYWAY.

The game will be a success if it releases and people enjoy it. Preferably a few hundred thousand people at least.

If it releases and is steaming garbage, never gets fixed and just dies off then its a failure.

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

It will be a success if they don't rush it to release, which they are obviously not...

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

He's saying it as a sort of "extension" of his first statement.

I think he's referring to people who will judge it as a success or failure based purely on their own subjective like or dislike of it. The game could be successful objectively regardless of any one person's view of it.

I think the answer to ProfRed's question is:

"It depends if you're asking them subjectively or objectively"

I tend to agree with ProfRed's take, which seems to lean to the objective side... A game can be a success despite how many hate it. Likewise, a game can be a failure despite how many love it. Success, to me, means the game is live, has subscribers and is making enough to continue developing/supporting it.

Subjectively, I don't use the words "success" or "failure". I merely "like" or "dislike" the game.

A successful game would be LoTRO.. Active game, healthy player base and Turbine's making enough to continue supporting and developing the game.

A *blockbuster* success would be WoW... millions of people playing it, Blizzard making stupid amounts of money on it.

A failure would be a MMO that's either DOA, or launches but doesn't make enough to maintain/develop it... like Tabula Rasa or Auto Assault, for example.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops