Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developer Dispatch: The Making of Tython

singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

For all those who are interested, here's the latest Friday-Update.

Linkage

Obviously, a lot of people will complain that there are still only Jedi. And about whatever else. XD

Personally, i think the graphics have improved quite a bit. The scenery looks wonderful, the animations seem smooth. Some details didn't quite look right yet, like the faces of the characters in one shot.

Overall though, I like the way it looks.

Enjoy. Or hate. I don't care. XD

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The models still kinda suk, but I had tears of joy in my eyes. Aww the beauty and serenity of the Jedi temple and planet! Makes me feel the Light Side warm my heart! :)

I feel quite good about the world design right now, especially given the stage the game still is in, it already looks so good. Only character models need more love.

Great piece, I wish they would show longer pieces of the game and less of the developers; who wants to see THEM, sheesh. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

For all those who are wondering/growling/raging about only Jedi/Sith being shown so far by the way, here is the official explanation from BioWare/Sean:

"I would like to point out that we mostly show Jedi and Sith at this time because that is all we've officially announced.

Soon, though... you'll see more. That's all I'll say about that, though! "

Not that that will stem the tide of hatred for only showing Jedi so far, but yeah. ^_^

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Impressive.  The vista as the character comes out of the cave and looks down into the valley was very good. Not sure about the plastic-y hair on the avatars though.

It also looks farther along than I had expected - I noticed that characters already have idle animations.

Of course Jedi are being shown first, being the iconic Star Wars profession. I am looking forward to seeing what other class options are available. A scoundrel type is what I'm planning to play.

And hey, I like seeing interviews with devs at their workplace. They are "real people" that way.

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

Looking great...first time,in a loooong time I'm actually looking forward to a MMORPG. Hope this one doesn't suck like the rest of the mmo's thats been released in the last few years.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

/drool

thanks!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Can't wait to play! Keep up the good work Bioware!

uploaded it to you tube so all can watch..the sw:tor site must be getting bombarded cause its acting funky

Link

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I still don't know how I feel about this one. I loved the KOTOR games and think this could be great, but I'm worried it will be more of the same. Until we have more details, I'm just going to keep watching and see how it goes.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

looking at that video though...i am shocked how far into developement they are. The characters already have idle animations, shadows already in, concentration on story lines and quests.....

i hate to get my hopes up....but they really do seem far along, late 4Q release?

wishful dreaming i know, but being a HUGE star wars fan, and looking at the settings, anumations, graphics, has me a bit drooling

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I love how serious they are about really providing a deep 'Star Wars' experience... of course I expect nothing less from BioWare :)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDcIGxUETUw i dunno, i still don't like the overall look. they saying they want  a 1:1 implementation from the concept arts, but i think this is more a LucasArts releated problem: check out the Lucas Arts website and you should understand what i try to say. 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

This was actually a pretty informative video this time around.

Things I noticed.

1. they mentioned "Forging your lightsaber" so that of course means you will be making it

2. "Vision quest" I wonder how they will do this.

3. I saw the UI, which looks similar at this point to the one in KOTOR. I saw what appears to be a radar in the right corner, an XP bar, and small icons, none of which I could make out. An avatar portrait in the left corner.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

UI shot from the video

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• QurellQurell Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by tillamook

3. I saw the UI, which looks similar at this point to the one in KOTOR. I saw what appears to be a radar in the right corner, an XP bar, and small icons, none of which I could make out. An avatar portrait in the left corner.

That UI is most likely not the final version. I wonder if the UI will be possible to mod.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by DeaconX

I love how serious they are about really providing a deep 'Star Wars' experience... of course I expect nothing less from BioWare :)

Yea, but it'll be like all the rest of the MMORPG's.   It'll be a linear, forced path game, very little freedom to explore places(sorta like the zones in AOC), level based, and the quest will no doubt be designed to hold your hand.   ::rolls her eyes::   Plus...it'll have that gawd awlful hot bar attacks like all the other MMORPG's instead of using FPS type combat like we see in Mount and Blade.   No thank you.  Sorry lover boy...I wish it were different, because I would surely love to play an MMORPG with you.  Luv ya.  ::hugs::

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Teala

Yea, but it'll be like all the rest of the MMORPG's.   It'll be a linear, forced path game, very little freedom to explore places(sorta like the zones in AOC), level based, and the quest will no doubt be designed to hold your hand.   ::rolls her eyes::   Plus...it'll have that gawd awlful hot bar attacks like all the other MMORPG's instead of using FPS type combat like we see in Mount and Blade.   No thank you.  Sorry lover boy...I wish it were different, because I would surely love to play an MMORPG with you.  Luv ya.  ::hugs::

Well at least we know we like/want the same things from the MMO ;) but I'm going to give BioWare a chance with this one - I almost feel I owe it to them for all the AWESOME they've sent my way over the years... so, I'm still remaining cautiously optomistic and hopeful... maybe it'll be a surprise and we'll get to play after all

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by Teala

Well at least we know we like/want the same things from the MMO ;) but I'm going to give BioWare a chance with this one - I almost feel I owe it to them for all the AWESOME they've sent my way over the years... so, I'm still remaining cautiously optomistic and hopeful... maybe it'll be a surprise and we'll get to play after all

same, which is why i am giving them the benefit of the doubt. Bioware has yet to dissapoint me. KOTOR, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, all awesome games. Mass Effect was second to none in story telling and gameplay. If TOR is anything like this, i will be very happy.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Movie looked FORKIN ARSUM!11!

Though I'm afraid it won't be sandboxy and open worldly enough for my apetite.

• curiousdaoccuriousdaoc Member Posts: 203

Looks great to me, I absolutely cannot wait for beta/launch.

So pumped!

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Think i'll pass on this one too.  Guy with a lightsaber, quests, yada yada yada.  SWG had a better concept when it was first released.