Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online: Combat Interview

2»

Comments

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715
    Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Lol, all I did was correct your disinformation.  You said SOE is not developing DC online.  You're wrong.  They are.  So you're either mistaken, or spreading disinformation.
    You also said the Cryptic has changed the I.P. in the middle of their development.  You're also wrong about that.  Not only is SOE developing the DC game, but it's some of the same people that butchered the StarWars IP.  That's simple facts.
    Your response is to call me a douchebag lol, and accuse me of some kind of angry, angsty post.  I think you need to take a step back and look at who is sharing false information (that everyone can easily verify) and who is being angry and insulting. 
    If you want to share disinformation that is easily disputed, don't be surprised when someone calls you on it.  Also, don't be surprised if they take a frustrated tone, like I did, and probably will again if you spread more b.s.  There's a very low tolerance for SOE crap among MMO gamers these days.  I was much kinder in my comments than most would be.  

Arc...dude, you are playing fast and loose with your facts. The only people left over from SWG  besides Chris Chao who wasnt the cause of SWG ills in the first place are  two texture artist  and the netcode guy, everyone else is from Old Cryptic, Some Blizzard people, The original Matrix team before the SOE buyout or FASA Interactive. DCUO is using SWG old Austin Offices, as most of the current SWG team has been relocated back to San Diego. I know this because a good part of the devlopment team lives in my sub division.  I'll also say anyone who is hating on DCUO simply because it's under the SOE flag are being very Myopic. SOE has gone through a major refit...I think folks are going to be surprised at what they will be bringing us in the future

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Some interesting sounding mechanics in the article.   The idea of a fire-based character gaining power being around fire sounds nice on paper, but will there be situations where "normal" Foxbat-like characters can gain tactical advantages like that?

Or will their mechancs be that normal don't gain any tactical advatnage but they also don't have any disadvantages (Like a Fire character in an icy enviroment)

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by Kryogenic

I was in the Alpha and now the beta for CO. I know exactly what I'm talking about, but am unable to disclose because of the NDA, but you're welcome to fanboi it up and preach on about something you have absolutely no understanding of outside some media spun hype interviews.
    Also, being a douchebag doesn't lend credibility to your arguments it just makes you look like an ass.
    Anyway, thanks for reminding me why I stopped frequenting these boards.
    It a damn shame that the MMORPG.com community used to be a lot more civil and cohesive than it is now. Once MMORPGs became mainstream the community took a nose dive. Now the decent people have been swept away by the mass of mindless sheep, like ArcAngel3, that believe all the media hype and actually defend companies for screwing their player bases over and releasing unfinished games as retail products.
    I'm sure instead of stepping back and analyzing your behavior you'll look for some way to spout off with some angry, angsty, bullshit pertaining to my post. Just know that I couldn't care any less about your opinion or stance on anything. I'm done with this thread and I hope that if I have the misfortune of participating in a thread that you are apart of in the future that you will have grown up and formulated a manner to interact with other people in manner conducive to flowering discussion, but I won't be holding my breath.
    Peace.

I only want to respond to a bit from this post because there's subjects that have been bothering me for about a month now. I don't think "the community" took a nose-dive because some mysterious "new people" are bad apples and showed up to insult the rightful O.G.'s of the mmo world. From my view, it's these same "vets" that are spewing much of the garbage. They call out anybody with a differing opinion and question his e-peen and his gaming resume`. In my eyes, they pretty much treat new people and "vets" about the same. [not very well] It's these same "veteran players" who show up and weep in nearly every thread I read over how "SoE killed SWG"! As if SoE kicked somebody's mom. How many years ago was it, anyway? Yes, apparently, they took a good game and made it crappy. That sucks. It's dead now. [Can't you continue to grieve in-private?] Find a new game, or find something else to do. The crying in random threads isn't going to fix SWG. Nothing will. What SWG was, is long dead now. Don't punish the entire internet for the sins of a few.

And to the people who have to once a week post their fond memories of EQ1 in a thread that has nothing to do with EQ... We get it. It was "your first". There's never anything like your first. No matter what game comes out, made by any developer, on any budget, it's not going to compare to the fun you had back when you had no idea what you were doing and made friends in-game so you can learn the ropes. You're not going to get the magic back in some new game. If you want EQ for crying out loud just go back and play it! Lamenting on the boards about "hopefully this new game will be the one that restores my mmo innocence" is pointless. Because then in another three months you've gotta do it all over again for the next 1337 new game with "specialized pvp sandbox capabilities and important-yet-complex crafting lewt". This is the stuff that seems stupid, to me. And I wanted to point it out just once, before I went back to mostly lurking. I feel better now. That's all that matters.

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663
    Originally posted by todeswulf

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Lol, all I did was correct your disinformation.  You said SOE is not developing DC online.  You're wrong.  They are.  So you're either mistaken, or spreading disinformation.
    You also said the Cryptic has changed the I.P. in the middle of their development.  You're also wrong about that.  Not only is SOE developing the DC game, but it's some of the same people that butchered the StarWars IP.  That's simple facts.
    Your response is to call me a douchebag lol, and accuse me of some kind of angry, angsty post.  I think you need to take a step back and look at who is sharing false information (that everyone can easily verify) and who is being angry and insulting. 
    If you want to share disinformation that is easily disputed, don't be surprised when someone calls you on it.  Also, don't be surprised if they take a frustrated tone, like I did, and probably will again if you spread more b.s.  There's a very low tolerance for SOE crap among MMO gamers these days.  I was much kinder in my comments than most would be.  

Arc...dude, you are playing fast and loose with your facts. The only people left over from SWG  besides Chris Chao who wasnt the cause of SWG ills in the first place are  two texture artist  and the netcode guy, everyone else is from Old Cryptic, Some Blizzard people, The original Matrix team before the SOE buyout or FASA Interactive. DCUO is using SWG old Austin Offices, as most of the current SWG team has been relocated back to San Diego. I know this because a good part of the devlopment team lives in my sub division.  I'll also say anyone who is hating on DCUO simply because it's under the SOE flag are being very Myopic. SOE has gone through a major refit...I think folks are going to be surprised at what they will be bringing us in the future

Not to mention he has no clue that this game used to be Marvel Universe Online and thinks that the Champions IP was Cryptics first choice.

Nice edit there Arc. Now, that you've edited your posts, you've taken out alot of the aggressive tone, but it still doesn't make the info correct.

CO was once upon a time Marvel Universe Online. Once again, Champions was not the original IP. I've been following the game very closely for quite sometime, although admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to the recent developments.

I know I said I was done here, and I apologize for the hostility. I'm going to try to just kill you people with kindness instead of fighting fire with fire.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

What I find funny,... the people who bash a game because it is being made for the xbox.

The xbox is built for gaming! why should it not get an MMO developed for it?

Going to be dumbed down? Why? The xbox360 is more powerful then my current outdated PC, and I am fed up having to rebuild my computer everytime some ass developes what he calls the next great engine.

Funny, the next great engine looks, and feels just like the last 10 great new engiines, andall it did was make me buy a $200 video card and more ram so that I can actually run the new game that the engine was built on.

I think the morons developing these games need to steady their need for the newest technology and focus on learning how to make a game enjoyable for the masses. 

If you look at the last several MMO's released, they all went from millions of copies sold, to hundreds of thousands subscribed. Why? because the games suck.

For those that claim they won't buy a game because it was dumbed down for the xbox, pull your heads out of your butts, the xbox is plenty strong enough to run the games, the xbox is capable of useing a keyboard too! OMG!  A keyboard on the xbox? that is amazing! especially when there are a lot of people who downloaded the mods to let you use an xbox controller on your PC to play WoW.

If you can't wrap your brain around the idea of a cross platform game, then perhap you need to have your games dumbed down for playability.

Not so nice guy!

• econ24econ24 Member Posts: 45

I don't see Cryptic changing IP from Marvel to Champions as being a significant setback.  You could take CO's core game and make it into DCUO or City of Heroes 2 with just some lore changes.  You wouldn't have to start over from scratch, and Champions has plenty of lore to make what changes are needed easily accomplished.

And SOE Austin is developing DCUO, it takes a simple google search to find this out.

Anyways...I don't know if I'll bother with either.  CO looks like a click to target game still, not a true action game.  You can see people in the videos accidentally shooting at mobs off screen, and having to retarget mobs on screen to hit them.  As for DCUO, I don't like SOE.  They don't exactly have a history of releasing high quality games or treating their players well.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by lordtwisted

What I find funny,... the people who bash a game because it is being made for the xbox.

Going to be dumbed down? Why? The xbox360 is more powerful then my current outdated PC, and I am fed up having to rebuild my computer everytime some ass developes what he calls the next great engine.
      Funny, the next great engine looks, and feels just like the last 10 great new engiines, andall it did was make me buy a $200 video card and more ram so that I can actually run the new game that the engine was built on.
     I think the morons developing these games need to steady their need for the newest technology and focus on learning how to make a game enjoyable for the masses. 
     If you look at the last several MMO's released, they all went from millions of copies sold, to hundreds of thousands subscribed. Why? because the games suck.
    For those that claim they won't buy a game because it was dumbed down for the xbox, pull your heads out of your butts, the xbox is plenty strong enough to run the games, the xbox is capable of useing a keyboard too! OMG!  A keyboard on the xbox? that is amazing! especially when there are a lot of people who downloaded the mods to let you use an xbox controller on your PC to play WoW.
      If you can't wrap your brain around the idea of a cross platform game, then perhap you need to have your games dumbed down for playability.

Nice rant, but  you seem to miss the entire point.  The vast majority of consoles don't have keyboards.  If you are a developer making a MMO would you require a keyboard to play it, most certainly not.  Why restrict your playerbase to a smaller audience.  Then you have to look at pvp.  A mouse driven interface gives distinct advantages of such.  True, you can add them to the console too, but again it won't be required.

There are alot of issues that you seem to miss or gloss over.  I would hesitate to play a game intended for both if the controls were dumbed down to a controller level.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Nice rant, but  you seem to miss the entire point.  The vast majority of consoles don't have keyboards.  If you are a developer making a MMO would you require a keyboard to play it, most certainly not.  Why restrict your playerbase to a smaller audience.  Then you have to look at pvp.  A mouse driven interface gives distinct advantages of such.  True, you can add them to the console too, but again it won't be required.

There are alot of issues that you seem to miss or gloss over.  I would hesitate to play a game intended for both if the controls were dumbed down to a controller level.

If you hesitate to embrace evolution you will remain in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Both the PS3 and the Xbox360 can utilize keyboard and mouse, in fact I have used the old USB keyboard from my PS2 on the xbox360.

Yes, there was a keyboard, with the analog thumbsticks built into a secondary piece that snaps onto the keyboard to use it as a controller/keyboard while you play. OMG! what will they think of next!

I used this keyboard for MMO's on the PS2 <eqoa, eqoa:frontiers, FFXI>, and for the my Xbox360 for FFXI. 

The mouse has advantages over a controller? I would have to say that is a player opinion, not a fact.  I know people that have disregarded their keyboard/mouse combo in the PC versions of counterstrike, COD4, and other FPS type games, and a couple of MMO's to use an xbox360 controller on their computer.

I think you need to look at the big picture, why would a developer continue to disregard a huge player base that the consoles represent.  and I think this is something that developers are looking at now days, since several developers have discussed making an attempt to port their game to fit the console too.

I think that developers are scared to, and until someone does it with some success, the other will stay behind and watch and wait.

Not so nice guy!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Ozmodan

If you hesitate to embrace evolution you will remain in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Both the PS3 and the Xbox360 can utilize keyboard and mouse, in fact I have used the old USB keyboard from my PS2 on the xbox360.

Yes, there was a keyboard, with the analog thumbsticks built into a secondary piece that snaps onto the keyboard to use it as a controller/keyboard while you play. OMG! what will they think of next!

I used this keyboard for MMO's on the PS2 <eqoa, eqoa:frontiers, FFXI>, and for the my Xbox360 for FFXI. 

The mouse has advantages over a controller? I would have to say that is a player opinion, not a fact.  I know people that have disregarded their keyboard/mouse combo in the PC versions of counterstrike, COD4, and other FPS type games, and a couple of MMO's to use an xbox360 controller on their computer.

I think you need to look at the big picture, why would a developer continue to disregard a huge player base that the consoles represent.  and I think this is something that developers are looking at now days, since several developers have discussed making an attempt to port their game to fit the console too.

I think that developers are scared to, and until someone does it with some success, the other will stay behind and watch and wait.

Earth to lordtwisted, did you even read what I said?  From your reply, it is evident either you can't read or have a comprehension problem.

It does not matter if the consoles have keyboards or mice, the developers won't require them, they don't want to restrict the player pool.  Taking that a step further they will dumb down the UI for use by controllers.

THAT is what makes a MMO undesirable, the dumbing down of the interface.  Next time take a second to read.

Ozmodean you are obviously mistaken in assumeing that you are "the masses" 

Ofcourse the masses couldn't want a simpilistic style MMO, thats why Blizzard failed so miserablly with World of Warcraft.

It's why the original mmo genre was pretty much PvP until the "other people" started playing and whined about getting killed all the time, so they dumbed down the games to PvE for them.

The evolution of the mmo is the de-evolution of the gere, come to terms with it.

MMO's will be on the consoles before this year is out, and they will be cross platform.

If evolution and mass marketing means "Dumbed down" to you. Then welcome to our world where it means fun for everyone, not just the people who give in and upgrade their computers every week so that they can get on the band wagon of hate mongering with the newest crap based MMO that comes out.

You want to talk about dumbing down MMO's? Lets talk about Vanguard, Warhammer, Ages of Conan, and the dozen other burned at release MMO's that have been developed in the last few years.

This day and age one of every 6 MMOs released end up with a suitable subscription base. and half of those this last year were Korean craptastic free base MMO's with the online stores to make profit for them. Or as I like to refer to them...garbage.

Perhaps if MMO's come to the console soon enough it will attract a good developer to build an MMO instead.

Not so nice guy!

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235

I agree. Oooh, great engine! Swell new graphics. Who cares, just make a good freaking game!

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• WebferretWebferret Member UncommonPosts: 90

Well with WILD BILL HICKOK, Opps I mean Bill Roper involved lets hope this game does not go the way of Flagship studios ( Hellgate London). personally any game he is involvled in doesnt even get a lookin with my games selection.

Let hope he doesnt jinx this game

Tan

Originally posted by Tanvaras

Well with WILD BILL HICKOK, Opps I mean Bill Roper involved lets hope this game does not go the way of Flagship studios ( Hellgate London). personally any game he is involvled in doesnt even get a lookin with my games selection.
    Let hope he doesnt jinx this game

Tan

I didn't play Hellgate, but everything I read said it stunk to the high heavens. 

I personally liked City of Heroes, and City of Villans, but the certainly lacked something, and I can not pin point what it was, but neither game held my attention for more then a few months.

Hopefully they have figured out a formula for addiction.

Not so nice guy!

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

I have to agree about Roper, the industry rewards sub-par it seems. I was interested in this game to the point where it was as "Purchase on Release" game for me, but I won't buy anything Roper is involved in so it's moved to the "Oh Well" catergory.

I know, I know, "QQ MOAR" etc, but I refuse to buy anything Roper is involved with. The gaming industry as a whole tries to emulate Hollywood so much now days it trips over itself to get a "name," any name it would seem, to add credability to their project. I wish gamers were more aware, hell any consumers for that matter...