Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you move on.

stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Most of you peeps have been playing wow for a long time now, and like any game there is a point where its just time to move on and try out new games.

I just was wondering if any wow fans where planing on moving on to a new game in the next few months and what game that would be ?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Comments

• Azntranc3Azntranc3 Member Posts: 169

I for one am definetly leaving WoW in the next couple of monthes, having played for 2-3 years it was good while it lasted. (plus, with the way pvp is atm I think it's time to leave)

The game I'll be leaving WoW for will be...none other than: AION!!!!!! I've been looking at this game since 2007, with rougle 2-3monthes left until it reaches america I'll be pre-ordering for sure.

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by Azntranc3

I for one am definetly leaving WoW in the next couple of monthes, having played for 2-3 years it was good while it lasted. (plus, with the way pvp is atm I think it's time to leave)
    The game I'll be leaving WoW for will be...none other than: AION!!!!!! I've been looking at this game since 2007, with rougle 2-3monthes left until it reaches america I'll be pre-ordering for sure.

I'll be leaving for Aion as well.

I've been my guilds main tank since BC, I've yet to tell them.  I'm hoping they don't react unfavorably...

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

To tell you the truth, I posted this in order to gauge how high the population will be in Aion.  I also will be playing aion and I feel it will be a much better game with full servers as seen in korea. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Technically I left wow and will be joining Aion...so I guess I get to be a part of this thread. yay me!

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have left WOW but not moved on to anything. Don't see much out there right now that looks interesting. I don't need yet another fantasy MMO.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587
    Originally posted by clwoods

Originally posted by Azntranc3

I'll be leaving for Aion as well.

I've been my guilds main tank since BC, I've yet to tell them.  I'm hoping they don't react unfavorably...

if it is a half decent guild you should have 1 or 2 other tanks lined up to take your place (and if you guys are nice, change it every raid to give everyone a fair go).  I know my old guild (Pre BC, shortly before i left) had 3 tanks who shared main tanking and often took on new tanks and tutored them into tanking for raids.

anyway back on topic, I left WoW for Lotro and i think it was a good decision, although i hardly ever got to raid in WoW (i was a hunter after all) i still have a huge craving to raid and Lotro was pretty bleak at that stage for raids.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by templarga

The interesting thing with WOW has never been "Will you move on?". Heck, I moved on to AOC, WAR, Vanguard, and other games.
    The question with WOW has always been: WHEN will you come back?

I think that's a good question. People are always looking to the next big thing as the game they will move on to. I've done the same in the past, only to be disappointed. Strangely enough, the one MMO I didn't look forward to and never really gave a good chance was LOTRO. Now I find myself heading in that direction for many different reasons and because of those, I don't think I'll be back unless these things change.

I did have a blast from lvl 70 to 80 though. WotLK was worth the money for that alone and I'm not going to rule out coming back briefly if the next expansion promises a similar experience.

In the meanwhile, it'll be a LOTRO/EVE combo (I can actually run both at the same time on my PC lol) for me. Maybe something better will come along. Other than following the news posted on this site, I've honestly stopped looking though. It seems like a waste of time and a sure way to set myself up for another disappointment.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

I dunno how much of a wow "fan" I am.  I played through beta on into launch then quit for a little while.  Went back for a bit after AQ40 and the 20mans opened up.  Then quit only to come back after BC came out but quit after a month.  Same pattern for WotLK.  I have already moved on and can't say for sure whether or not i will ever return.  A great number of games coming out over the next several months and into next year.  Seriously doubt I would come in for anotehr expansion.  Now, if Blizzard should come out with a Universe of Star Craft or somesuch I would give em a run :)

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Unfortunately the genre is plagued by studios who either believe in releasing total garbiage (AoC) or half baked garbiage (Vanguard).  Until I see a title where I can expect: 1. a polished game, and 2. something other than another tired fantasy themepark; I'm perfectly happy staying with WoW.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I haven't really played WoW for a couple of years now, except to come back and check out the new content periodically. Each time my stay was shorter and shorter. The last time I paid for a month to check out WoTLK and left after 2 days. 

"It's over WoW. It's not you, it's me." 

I'm looking forward to Aion also.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I just recently canceled my account, they just keep stretching out the grind for PvP, and I'm not putting up with it. Plus PvP is totally unbalanced. I might go back to WoW in the future but not until they pull their heads out of their asses and take a serious look at balancing PvP. Playing as some classes is almost a guaranteed win against others while playing as other classes it's a guaranteed loss, and that's just not fun. They have this saying that they don't balance PvP for 1v1 but guess what if the class is bad in 1v1 they're gonna be a weak link in group PvP also. So, screw WoW for the time being. Once a nice action based MMO with as close to balanced PvP they can get comes out I'll probably never go back to WoW.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

The interesting thing with WOW has never been "Will you move on?". Heck, I moved on to AOC, WAR, Vanguard, and other games.
    I said, prior to AOC and WAR, that I played Wow for the final time. However, while playing those games, they never, EVER compared to or surpassed WOW for me. I was always using WOW as the benchmark for me.
    I hope Aion, Darkfall and whatever games a lot of success but seriously, the question is if and when will people start comparing them to WOW and if they are truly better.

QFT.

I have tried to quit so very many times. It is a grind, and it does end up boring me. It always does. It always ends up being running around doing very easy quests and fighting in very easy PvE. PvP can be challenging sometimes, but everything is so...structured...that it can't be that much fun.

But every time I leave, I end up coming back. I miss it, and I want to play it again. There is something there that I can never find anywhere else. Call if polish. Call it familiarity. I don't know. But there is something there and I always come back for it. It's like a drug and I'm not strong enough to give up the habit.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• BoombadiLBoombadiL Member Posts: 50

WOW just has the smoothest gameplay out there.

• sorciellesorcielle Member Posts: 83

I said, prior to AOC and WAR, that I played Wow for the final time. However, while playing those games, they never, EVER compared to or surpassed WOW for me. I was always using WOW as the benchmark for me.
    I hope Aion, Darkfall and whatever games a lot of success but seriously, the question is if and when will people start comparing them to WOW and if they are truly better.

Originally posted by zorndorff
    As seen on Xfire these days, most will never leave Wow for good in the coming years.
    Perhaps taking a break, but the game just keeps getting better with new added twists.
    30 minutes of Wow PvP is all a man needs to suck you back into the game and since WotLK offers 5 different options in PvP (Winter - Bg's - Arena - daily pvp quests - City raids) in 3 different variations (tank/artillery/siege - grand tactical - skirmish), WotLK is the only formula of ...
    A MMORPG with RTS elements (remember the bombardments of Keeps in WC3) and FPS.
    Take in 10 complete different classes with good 3 branches 61 levels deep and you can play the end game for the next 2 decades IF you want to follow the progress of your avatar's gear and skills.
    Even Warcraft 3 stays in the top 10 of most played PC games, so it is obvious Wow keeps its place.
    It is an MMOG game : multi mass online global game system and it long surpassed the limited mmorpg forms of old times.
    I think the next MMORPG of Blizzard will take into account all they've learned from Wow. Forget the standard leveling quests of old mmorpg's for the future projects of Blizz.
    For hose interested: have fun in Aion, but in the western world it will be very very niche. If you want 50K players and "feel" this is good: no problem.
    But I rather talk with people in RL who all play the same game and discuss tactics. Something the game community needs more than anything else.

Could you two please not spam post one thread with your fanobyism? WOW is not what it was... and STOP MAKING EVERY THREAD "WOW IS BEST GAME EVER!"

I for one rather like AOC, and am also intrigued by AION. I did come back for Wotlk but the shine has rapidly worn off.  The community has absolutely tanked.

I am really hoping one of these games will bring back the specialization of different classes, so you would never want to run a dungeon with duplicate classes. I miss that alot. It seems AION might be this way.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I have moved on. I came back. I plan to move on again once something new gets released. I plan on experiencing as many games as possible and form my own opinion about what I like or dislike.

I'm a bit sorry about all these people (not talking about the posters of this thread) that can't seem to realise that you can only be an MMO virgin once. And that experience will be hard if not impossible to replicate.

Originally posted by Xasapis

I have moved on. I came back. I plan to move on again once something new gets released. I plan on experiencing as many games as possible and form my own opinion about what I like or dislike.
    I'm a bit sorry about all these people (not talking about the posters of this thread) that can't seem to realise that you can only be an MMO virgin once. And that experience will be hard if not impossible to replicate.

You know.... this is soooo verey true. It gives me a much better understanding of why some people so fiercely defend WOW, without ever owning up to the defects.

Then again I wax nostalgic about WOW classic at times... when Strat and Scholo were raids, without some pre-defined number. 

I do think arena was the absolute worst decision blizzard made... it only takes one GOOD game to final come out that will nail that aspect of WOW to the cross.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

If you don't like Arena don't play them.
    But the Arena results of top players is an assurance that Blizzard classes are far more balanced than other games where there are NO measuring tools of the best players around.
    I can't help it either you loose all your battles in Arena. But you better learn to say "I suck in Arena", because that system makes for a world wide analysed development tool.
    Now if you don't like it don't play it, but it is the basis for any further polishment and class interaction in the game.
    Your AoC can only dream of such tools.
    BTW I hate the "he only playedWow" story. It makes you feel superior don't you ? Well...
    Sorry , I played all that other trash out there. And it's just that: : trash.

Sorry but one round in Guildwars arena and you see that that part is far from Wows strenght. In GW the best player always win (possibly exception with a healer in 1vs1), in Wow it still is a lot to do with classes and gear.

Of course someone who loses all battles sucks (or his gear totaly blows) but things could be better balanced. So far no game is close to GW with arenastyle battles.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360
    Originally posted by sorcielle

As seen on Xfire these days, most will never leave Wow for good in the coming years.
    Perhaps taking a break, but the game just keeps getting better with new added twists.
    30 minutes of Wow PvP is all a man needs to suck you back into the game and since WotLK offers 5 different options in PvP (Winter - Bg's - Arena - daily pvp quests - City raids) in 3 different variations (tank/artillery/siege - grand tactical - skirmish), WotLK is the only formula of ...
    Take in 10 complete different classes with good 3 branches 61 levels deep and you can play the end game for the next 2 decades IF you want to follow the progress of your avatar's gear and skills.
    Even Warcraft 3 stays in the top 10 of most played PC games, so it is obvious Wow keeps its place.
    It is an MMOG game : multi mass online global game system and it long surpassed the limited mmorpg forms of old times.
    I think the next MMORPG of Blizzard will take into account all they've learned from Wow. Forget the standard leveling quests of old mmorpg's for the future projects of Blizz.
    For hose interested: have fun in Aion, but in the western world it will be very very niche. If you want 50K players and "feel" this is good: no problem.
    But I rather talk with people in RL who all play the same game and discuss tactics. Something the game community needs more than anything else.

Could you two please not spam post one thread with your fanobyism? WOW is not what it was... and STOP MAKING EVERY THREAD "WOW IS BEST GAME EVER!"

I for one rather like AOC, and am also intrigued by AION. I did come back for Wotlk but the shine has rapidly worn off.  The community has absolutely tanked.

I am really hoping one of these games will bring back the specialization of different classes, so you would never want to run a dungeon with duplicate classes. I miss that alot. It seems AION might be this way.

Lol, calm down with the nerd rage.

I've tried almost every release (including that awful game RF Online) since WoW's launch and have always found myself coming back to WoW.  Studios seem hell bent on releasing half-baked games, or yet another rehash on fantasy themeparks.  After SWG I've lost any patience to put up with incomplete titles (or outright fraud a la AoC and Vanguard), and don't feel compelled to play a themepark when I'm quite happy with WoW.  

Eve is the only other game I have a remote interest in currently and has a similar affect on me as WoW does.

Is WoW perfect, nope, but it's the best fantasy game on the market imo.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

Originally posted by sorcielle

Did I say it was the best game ever? No. The point I was making is the reason WOW continues to have a player population beyond that of ANY other game on the market is because players keep coming back to WOW. I cannot explain it and others cannot explain it either but there is *something* about WOW that keeps bringing back a lot of players.

Every game that launched and was supposed to be a WOW killer (AOC and WAR for example) took massive amounts of population; but within months WOW's population not only returned, it increased. Explain that. YOU even admit to liking AOC but trying out WotLK as well. That is the point I was making.

For me, WOW is fun. Period. I do not have to explain it and no need to defend it. I find the game fun, it runs well, I like the graphics (realism is SO over-rated), my friends play, I am in a great guild, I can play just a couple hours a night (at the most) and get stuff done,etc....; therefore the game is fun. And until another game, just as fun, comes out, then WOW will continue to get returning players (like me) to come back.

I did not spam post and I definately am not a fanboi (of any game right now - I play what I find enjoyable). The topic at hand is "will you move on" and I addressed said topic by stating that, for WOW, the question is never will you move on (because players do) but if and when will you return.

Hey Templarga - Thanks for your even-handed reply. If you read Zorndorf's earlier response, you can see where my trolling is aimed at.

If you want to see people bashing a game, holding on to old grudge's etc.. look no further than AOC forums. I have never seen people hate a company so much.. you would think funcom stole their house and girlfriend, and set fire to their dog... as opposed to 'scamming them' out of $50. Which really shows the maturity level of a lot of posters, cuz $50 is meh. I can blow that in two hours easy at a bar with friends. So it is all relative.

The thing I don't like is no one ever marketed AOC or WAR as a WOW killer.. that is our own collective dementia, hoping that they will be that, because WOW has grown stale. I went into WAR with higher expectations, and was severely disappointed.. they would have been much better off stealing much more of WOW, especially around PVE and CRAFTING. (You just can't under-estimate crafting and the economics. WOW has an EXCELLENT economic system, even with the things I dislike about it. I think they got that right.)AOC I had zero expectations, and was actually blown away with many aspects of the game.. I think they are on the right track for future fantasy MMO's, and I at very least respect what they were trying to accomplish.

So now AION is the next big thing on the horizon.. it won't be for everyone, but being the successor to L2 puts it on a footing no other company has currently. (yeah Sony -  you blew it big time)

And like many have stated.. alot of people like the BLIZZARD FRANCHISE itself, and WOW is the latest Blizzard game... D3 is going to pull down subs more than anything else on the horizon.  A couple friends of mine for instance played-out WotlK and since 'moved on' to starcraft.. yes, starcraft... and how old is that game? Anecdotal at best I know.

The people who say WOW is cultural phenomenon are absolutely correct.  It is a good game sure, but it came from the right company, just as the internet was really breaking out of its shell to the mainstream. Why people on these forums conistantly ignore this as a predominate factor, and not the awesome -awesomeness of WOW, is beyond me.

(yes re-read SONY blew it - too busy trying to go after pirating issues, too big of a company  to uniquely understand gaming.)

I for one prefer a more hardcore edge to a game, and love the community of dungeon crawls the best. So the game that will next capture me will take the best of these things, and quit trying to be some wanna be casual game. There is room for all types. This is the aspect of WOW that hit me the hardest.. they used to have some of the best dungeon mechanics, which they have since traded in for casual AOE gear check grinds. I don't understand it at all, and those who defend it will continue to be hunted by my army of trolls!

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Personally it's not a question of whether I will move on, it's a question of whether I will come back.

I always move on from all games whenever I have completed the bulk of the content. I usually play WoW for a couple of months after each release and move on.

What's next for me? What am I currently playing? Nothing MMO at the moment.

Single player stuff. Nothing on the MMO front currently excites me all that much. I may give Jumpgate Evolution a try it depends what other games are on release when it comes out.

• TheHelperTheHelper Member Posts: 108

Hmm. For me ive always left wow and come back but that is definitly not because of content. or lack of it...

I come back sometimes because well the unreal nagging and whining of freinds.

Its impossable to not come back after you play wow, if you have RL freinds that play they will do all they can to get you to play it again, personaly im done with mmos as ive left wow and all others forever. Cause all mmos have a flaw for me and that is grinding, grinding and the lack of roleplay and history.

Thus i am making my own game, but after having tried pretty much every single game on mmorpg.com and beta tested most of the major games, i cant say that the future of mmos to come look good at all, just look at E3 08 it was just a long line of Sequals. For me E3 and mmorpg.com is just showing me where the game world is headed, allthough i see good games coming which i hope are as good as they say they are (those being: Earth, Mortal online, Darkfall... etc) im leaning on just giving up and making my own. Allthough i do like the idea that Mortal, Earth and Darkfall share.  A lvlless game. Cause that tells me i wont be looking down at my exp bar as i push buttons to kill mobs and wait til i ding anymore... Which is a major killer to me as most of the mmos this year (and most likely next) are all about until you hit the high levels. Anyway back to the topic as i said i might go for Aion, Earth, Mortal online or Darkfall. If all of these end up like hellgate: london and die out i will put my happy hat forever and just give up mmos cause then there is no future =P