Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to know in which line of work i should go into.

2»

Comments

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

In a short time we are going to be overwhelmed by millions of old people - I suggest you find a career that has something to do with the elderly.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• silkakcsilkakc Member UncommonPosts: 381

OP,

I asked thiat very question on the LOTRO game forums. I was SHOCKED that 8 different Developers took the time to answer my questions about what degree is needed to get HIRED as a Game developer.

It's Software Engineering. All the "Game Developer" colleges are a pipe dream. They want true Engineers for the Developing positions.

It's a 4 yr degree witha  5th year needed for your Master's. My daughter is going for it in Sept/2009. She just got accepted by RIT into their SE program. She will do a minor in Game Deveoping during her 3rd and 4th yr.

Good luck!!

• DrChickenDrChicken Member Posts: 263

It's probably a good thing to note that software engineering, like most engineering fields, won't have you doing the fun stuff you want to do early on in your career. Most game developers won't take a guy straight out of college with a degree - you need to build up some experience (generally 4-6 years) first. A majority of the time you will be programming non-commercial use stuff for tech/industrial firms. On another note, I wanted to work with electronic hardware, as well as the programming involved with them - so I decided to major in electrical engineering with electronics/computer focus - not an entirely bad idea given the wide variety of career paths you can choose with it.

• Litigator_ABLitigator_AB Member Posts: 311

Exactly.  Computer science with a focus on software engineering. 

I do not have many friends who are programmers as a result of living in Edmonton, Alberta.  However, once upon a time, I did have a few friends who applied to Bioware when it was headquartered on Whyte Avenue (where the Chapters is now).

3rd year comp sci students applied for jobs there and were measured by their 

#1:  portfolio

#2:  their grades (yes, they do matter)

#3:  their personality

These online places dupe young people who are looking for a fast way to get a career started.  I get the allure having fallen for it myself.  But believe me, you can't replace a 4 year university education in 10 months (or for that matter a 2 year diploma/associate's degree).