Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to pass those job assessment tests?

I haven't posted on the forums in a awhile so here goes.

Every now and then I'm having to take these job assessment tests on the computer for a certain job like at Sears, Toys r us, etc. Any idea on how to pass them?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Have an 8th grade education.

• AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

These tests should be pretty easy.  They hardest question they will ask will probably involve math covered in (as cleffy noted) 8th grade.

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

one answer on the test you may want to be careful...

"have you ever stolen company property when nobody was looking."   think about before you answer :P

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Actually, a fair number of them have questions with no clear answer.

For instance, one doozy I got hit with a few years back:

"You get angry when the courts let guilty criminals go free. Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree or Strongly Disagree?"

So, I either am angry all the time and have no trust in the justice system, or i'm OK with crime?

These questions are an exceptionally crude form of psychological profiling. The only advice I can give you is to be consistant. They will ask you the same question multiple times with different phrasing, if you react to said phrasing and give a different answer than the times before, it marks against you.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• FerdscuteFerdscute Member Posts: 108

this tests is basicaly logic based.. they just want to know if you haven't lost grip of your mind lol

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by Aelfinn

"You get angry when the courts let guilty criminals go free. Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree or Strongly Disagree?"
    So, I either am angry all the time and have no trust in the justice system, or i'm OK with crime?
    These questions are an exceptionally crude form of psychological profiling. The only advice I can give you is to be consistant. They will ask you the same question multiple times with different phrasing, if you react to said phrasing and give a different answer than the times before, it marks against you.

That's why I can never pass them, which I really don't care since the only place I've ever seen use them is retail jobs. The different phrasing and the fact that most of the questions have no real answer means I'm never real consistent on them. Plus I'm barely sane as it is, not getting a retail job is probably for the best.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• BeariooBearioo Member Posts: 10

You're probably "passing" them, the problem is they look at your assessment and think "he's overqualified".

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356
    Originally posted by Faxxer

one answer on the test you may want to be careful... 
    "have you ever stolen company property when nobody was looking."   think about before you answer :P

I actually like tis question to come up during the interview......

I answer it, "What, you mean so far today? It's still early....."

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247
    Originally posted by pyrofreak

Originally posted by Aelfinn

That's why I can never pass them, which I really don't care since the only place I've ever seen use them is retail jobs. The different phrasing and the fact that most of the questions have no real answer means I'm never real consistent on them. Plus I'm barely sane as it is, not getting a retail job is probably for the best.

What I don't like about that scenerio..

your average people will probably come up with a similar answer... but throw a person that has Asperger's syndrome in there and they WILL answer differently based on how the phrasing is.

I once went to one of those job finding places some years back and took all these different kinds of tests... data entry, typing, word, excel...you know the ones... to see what you can do in an office...

but when i got to the tests like the OP posted...  they said I lacked the clear understanding of what an employer expected of me...  I was blown away because every "job" i ever worked I would get promoted and/or raises at maximum levels.   turns out I later learned it's just like Alfinn says...consistency is the marker they're trying to find.   whatever happened to "thinking outside the box?"  << guess that is OUT now.