Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best designed MMO City

Comments

• claudiofmclaudiofm Member Posts: 81

all tha citys the Vanguard is Amaizing

City of Ca'Iel Brael

www.youtube.com/watch

port city khal

www.youtube.com/watch

city ahgram the city most big the all game

www.youtube.com/watch

the player can into all house the city, AMAIZING, PD: no instance nazing house, all in-game time real

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Paragon City, from City of Heroes

hey, its so big, its the whole game.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Theed in SWG. Beautiful majestic waterfall, giant library, etc

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Tough question.

Most nostalgic feeling goes to Lion Arch in Guild Wars.

Mos Eisley in SWG has a special spot because of the movies.

All Vanguard cities simply look very beautifull, but also at the same time lifeless.

I would chose Altdorf in WAR for most convincing because of details and wandering npcs and its harbour. Its dirty, like a medieval city should look. I like Stormwind from WoW too, but it is simply too clean like a Walt Disney city.

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

1. Camelot City (DAOC)

2. Stormwind (WoW)

3. San d'Oria (FFXI)

4. Bastok (FFXI)

5. Rivendell (LOTRO)

6. Windhurst (FFXI)

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Vanguard has some sweet fantasy cities. I didn't play that long, but it was a beautiful game.

My vote though would be for just about any SWG city. They all had so much atmosphere, and then there was the music in the cantinas. Nothing like Star Wars music playing right through rounds of gunfire. Even though I wasn't a big Star Wars fan, that game made me feel more there than any other game I have played. Heck, I even changed clothes with the weather or planet and rode my mounts even though my vehicles were faster. Wish they hadn't changed it so drastically, I'd have returned many times otherwise.

image image

• ShadowpodShadowpod Member UncommonPosts: 29

my hat goes off to original eq creators for their cities i believe a lot of them functioned well and i loved the maze like atmosphere of most of them becase it simulates real life you never know exactly where yer goin in a new city and it feels like a maze, but once ye get used to it you know exactly where everything is and its not a hastle. that being said my favorite mmo cites are as followed in no preferential order:

1) Katta Castellum (eq) - dark, eerie, and has vampire and udead in it....whats not to like plus it was huge and glorious.

2) Kael Drakkal (eq) - Giant city that you had to actually gain faction for to do anything of worth in there but it functioned like an actual city and who wouldnt want to be accepted in a city of giants....

3) Ak'Anon (eq) - i love gnomes lol but the city was amazing, underground with clockworks running most shopkeeper duties, necromancer guild hidden away furthest and deepest, rogue guild hidden in the cleric house. you can hear the clicking of the clockworks...just amazing and felt like home ^_^.

4) Highkeep (eq) - simply a great place, with a lot more to offer than most  people who played even knew. could basically get from 8-50 back in the day with that zone and highpass alone (depending on knowledge of class and ability to kill) so it was even more usful than all other cities could even hope to be.

5) I'd have to agree with UOs britannica

6) WAY back in the day uo had a player run city run by some dragon clan or something and i think they called it the city of dragons, had player run events had player run shops if i remember correctly, simply divine.

im sure there are several others but atm i cant think of them but most mmos cities dont look that great to me, the ones that have been shown screenshots of cities here dont look all that grand to me either.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Don't know why but I always loved Darnasus and Thunder bluff  in WoW. It's totally out of thew way of everything and much less busy than Stormwind/IF/Orgrimmar, but it's just so calm being there.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

All these WoW mentions but no votes for Silvermoon. So I'll give that a vote, and its environs (complete with truly memorable music). I must admit I never found Stormwind very interesting. I always felt at home in Qeynos (EQ2) too, although Neriak is probably the better designed city.

• MaendauronMaendauron Member Posts: 118

Leth Nurae in Vanguard.

Second place would be Rivendell in LOTRO.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Tarantia (AoC), New Torgonor (Vanguard), Freeport (EQ2).

I have not included CoH/CoV ‘cities’ as their zones are cities.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

Speaking only of cities I've been to in games, Atldorf from Warhammer. Fights break out (sometimes throwing you in the middle) rats scurry about, guards are tromping all over the place, hawkers walking around. There's dead peasents still inside their houses where they fell, crazy cat ladies, crazy cats, crazy ladies. It's just a very alive and interesting town full of atmosphere.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

FFXI has some of the best cities  in MMOs

My favoit would be Jeuno just getting to the city as a level 20 looking for your chocobo quest was epic.

But really once you have played FFXI for awhile you will have to had gone to every inch of every city everything was there for somthing.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

stormwind, for sure

ill never forget walking through the gates for the first time.  and i really am not one for having super memerable gaming moments

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

Hmm, I dunno.

Top 5:

1. Freeport(EQ2) always feels alive to me in spite of its incessant zoning, more alive than any other city. It feels like there is a lot to do there even though a lot of the cool fluff content seems to be ignored/useless.

2. Mos Eisley(SWG) is the only MMO city that is actually TREATED like a city to some extent by players.

3. Camelot(DAOC) combined function with style.

4. The Undercity(WOW) has a moody atmosphere that I like even if the pathing is not great.

5. The Inevitable City(WAR) is visually impressive.

Bottom 3:

Gorowyn(EQ2)-So convoluted and visually drab.

Thunder Bluff(WOW)- Retarded

Qeynos/Altdorf TIE(EQ2/WAR)- too vanilla considering subject matter. Doesn't inspire you to fight for "good" when you are there.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Cai'al Brael in Vanguard. Most haunting city I have seen in an MMO.

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424

Haven't played all the games. DAoC had some cool cities for its time. I remember going woot! when zoning into TNN the first time.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Not the best designed, nor the most beatiful, but TIR in Anarchy Online in the old days, before they moved the whompas and grid stations.

It really did feel alive, and it was alive with players for sure.

Neocron was awesome as well and as a crafter I rarely left the city if not for going to the outpost to craft some heavy stuff.

The first time I entered Ironforge was kind of special.

Freeport in EQ2 holds a special place in my heart as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I loved Stormwind in World of Warcraft, as well as both Ascalon City (Pre-Searing) and Lion's Arch in Guild Wars. Kaineng Centre in Guild Wars Factions isn't too bad either.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I've played lots of  MMOs and so far I've seen few good cities/villages, but I have some favourits..

Unlike more Lineage II players, my favourite is Hunters Village.The atmosphere matches the usage perfectly, and the music is realy peaceful...

By graphical design (and solely by that ), I liked the "elf"major city in RF-Online (I forgot race & name of the place...

Can't wait till Aion will be released. I think Eylos main village will be my favourite then 

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by Ravanos

i think its safe to say that those that say WoW cities have never played any other MMOs. because I have seen the WoW cities and none of them are anything special.

for me i would definately say Neriak ... even the one in EQ2 was pretty well done (confusing as hell) but looked really cool.

I think it's safe to say you're wrong.

I've played mmo's back to EQ and I still say that Stormwind is one of the best in game cities I've seen.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by clwoods

Originally posted by Ravanos

i think its safe to say that those that say WoW cities have never played any other MMOs. because I have seen the WoW cities and none of them are anything special.
     (In YOUR opinion.  NEWSFLASH!  It's not the only opinion in the world. Don't faint.)
    for me i would definately say Neriak ... even the one in EQ2 was pretty well done (confusing as hell) but looked really cool.

I think it's safe to say you're wrong.

I've played mmo's back to EQ and I still say that Stormwind is one of the best in game cities I've seen.

I think it's safe to say that you're right that he's wrong.

I've played all KINDS of games in every genre clear back to PONG and the Atari.   Hell I was playing games before many of the "gamers" on these boards were even a twinkle in Mommy and Daddy's eye.  I played Ultima Online, which in my opinion, was ALWAYS better than EQ.  (I think Neriak was a design catastrophe, more in EQ2 than EQ1.  Looked cool, but totally a clusterf**k in navigation.)  I've played ALL of the presently financially successful MMOs and many that are NOT "successful," and I STILL say that WoW has some very efficiently designed cities that also appeal to me on an artistic level.

I always have to laugh at people who assume their OPINION makes them right and everyone else wrong.  Too funny.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Someone all ready mentioned Shoushi from Asheron's Call.   Simply the best designed and laid out city of any MMORPG to date - very functional and easy to navigate.   :)  I like that.

Mos Espa - SWG

Tanvu - Vanguard

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Cities that I liked from the many mmo's I have played over the years:

1) Holtburg (Asherons Call) Well laid out town that had almost everything one would need all laid out on a hill side with a view of the river below!

2) Camelot (DAoC) Nice, well designed city that made you "Ohhhh" as its sheer size and wonder the first time you entered it.

3) Britain (Ultima Online) Huge city, confusing at first, but once you got to know it, you loved it's size and ability to hit 3 or 4 mage reagent shops in a single town and a great big bank that always had people looking to trade/sell goods.

4) Stormwind (World of Warcraft) Like Camelot in DAoC, a beautifully designed city that was well laid out and made you go "oohhhh" the first time you explored it.

5) Al-Arqas (Asherons Call) I loved this little town set in the desert of Dereth. It had a simple, yet adequate little town in the middle with cliffs all around and three canyons that led to the three outer town lifestone areas near the town. On the Darktide server, PvP was always a blast in and around those canyons and in the town itself.

- Zaxx

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

The Inevitable City - (war)

Grandville - (CoV)