Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: FLS Opens Casual MMO Studio

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Flying Lab software has announced that they have created a new casual game division where they will develope casual MMO environments.

Pirates of the Burning Sea developer Flying Lab Software announced the launch of a new division, Flying Lab Casual, which will develop casual gaming MMO environments "from the ground up."

The casual arm's first project is a family-friendly universe built in partnership with sports trading cards collectibles company Upper Deck. Further details behind the new title will be announced in the next couple of weeks.

Read more here.

Comments

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

Well, they need something to do. PotBS was promising but they failed. Better luck with this venture!

• See as how their PvP venture went.....this is probably a good move.

• Originally posted by granit1024

Well, they need something to do. PotBS was promising but they failed. Better luck with this venture!

PotBS is far from dead, thank you

• boingedboinged Member UncommonPosts: 161

Haha good luck. It will be sad to see these guys fail in yet another industry. Little tip: TCG != casual.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

I don't understand this announcement. PoTBS is a casual MMO which would make FLS a casual MMO studio already.

• Originally posted by RedwoodSap

I don't understand this announcement. PoTBS is a casual MMO which would make FLS a casual MMO studio already.

Tell that to folks who pay for multiple accounts just to run econ, or folks who live and die by the RvR PvP (by live and die I mean spend all of their free-time on it, tens of hours per week).

When you've got casual players complaining that the way the game is set up, especially econ and PvP (which are the two primary systems upon which the game is built), doesn't cater to their casual play style, I don't see how anyone can call it a "casual MMO".

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373
    Originally posted by RedwoodSap

I also considered PotBS as a casual MMO as well.

First they casually rip off the Pirates! concept from the Commodore 64 game.

Then they casually spend what... 5 years "developing" this state-of-the-art (sham) economy. (SWG on a dead server has better economy).

Note they casually spend 5 years on "salaries" and developing costs.

Then they casually declare that "Oh! We're supposed to have avatars?"

In the end we get a game that a college grad could have programmed in 6 months. (Ship-to-ship combat is merely a basic physics engine - 2 oblong floating objects hurling rocks at each other game. And thats what they wanted to give us (ie without the avatars)).

Sad. If I was an investor, I would be breathing molten steel down their neck in court for wasting time and money on a concept that was given to them on a silver platter.