Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Man From Earth

I was curious if anyone else had seen this recent "Indie" Movie? My brother brought it to my attention after he rented it from Redbox but I kind of put it off for awhile until I saw it was instantly available on Netflix either through my Xbox 360 or through my computer. I sat down to watch it a few nights ago and was really amazed at how good it was. The main reason I was so amazed was that the entire movie takes place at a small cabin out in the woods with just a few exterior shots and the rest taking place in the living room of the cabin. The whole movie is basically just a group of people talking and debating from late afternoon through evening. I won't give anything else away except to say that the movie is Sci-Fi/Fantasy and, despite a little forced dialogue, is captivating as hell. That's what makes the movie so amazing, that it is nothing but talking and yet I never got bored once.

I know it sounds boring, and I know it doesn't really sound Sci-Fi or Fantasy, but it absolutely isn't boring and is certainly better Sci-Fi than most the crap released these days. From some of the other threads on this board I can confidently say that most of the posters here would very much enjoy this movie if they haven't already seen it. If you have already seen it, I'd like to ask that you try to keep as much of the plot under wraps as possible. There really are only 2 or 3 spoilers, but when I saw it I knew only as much as I have provided here and I think that made it a lot more enjoyable.

Just so you know it isn't some College Film project, it does have a couple of really familar faces and others that have been in plenty of films and tv shows: Like John Billingsley who played Dr. Phlox on Star Trek Enterprise and The Candy Man himself Tony Todd who has been in almost all the Star Treks as well.

Do yourself a favor and give it a shot if you can. I checked Hulu, and despite the studio and producers behind it being very "Bit Torrent Friendly" they don't have it on there. But again, you can always catch it as an instant watch on Netflix and it comes in well under 2 hours.

Comments

• HiromantHiromant Member UncommonPosts: 99

Thanks for the heads up, this movie is a 8.1 on imdb and looks very interesting. I'll definitely watch it. Thanks again.

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

Oh, I'm going to watch this.  And you just wait untill I do so we can have a forum discussion on the movie.. 

So people... get to watchin!

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I have seen it a number of times and as for "pure monologue" pictures it is really one of the best.

In fact I have promoted it to "always have on computer", and the only two other pictures on that list for me is "The big lebowski" and "The ninth gate".

I endorse this!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• HiromantHiromant Member UncommonPosts: 99

I just finished watching it and it was breathtaking. I'm speechless. Definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen. Very thought provoking and involving. OK, I'm off to give it a 10 on imdb.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Any fights, car chases or naked women?